What exactly is "That something in your somewhere?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PATrobas

Jan 17, 2024
Fall River Mills, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminders – That “something in your somewhere”

A friend, and brother in the Lord often uses the phrase, “To experience that something in your somewhere,” as a description of the somewhat mysterious and subtle prompting of God. The phrase rings a bell with me, as I experience it often, but what is it exactly? As I contemplated that, I was reminded of four Biblical composites that help define the meaning of that phrase. 1) It is God the Father who provides the power behind the something. 2) That power, is the work of the Holy Spirit. 3) The something itself, is the Word of God. 4) The somewhere is in our hearts.

Here are some Scriptures of explanation. To identify the “something,” we see that God has made us a temple of the Holy Spirit 1 Corinthians 3:16 and has anointed us with His understanding. “Now He who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, is God, who has also…given us the…[Holy] Spirit in our hearts.” 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Jesus also said, But the Comforter, who is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26 John says it a little differently, “But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you…” 1 John 2:27 Next, we see the practical application of this spiritual prompting. “The [Holy] Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.” Romans 8:16 The “something” is also identified in Scripture as “the faith of Christ.” “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Romans 10:17 That same Word of God said, My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. John 10:27 And Hebrews tells us, “For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 This living Word of God is none other than the risen Lord Jesus, “The author and finisher of our faith.” Hebrews 12:2

Final Thoughts: The “Who” of the “something,” is all three members of the Godhead. God the Father anoints us with the Holy Spirit who bears witness of what the living Word of God is telling us. The “What,” is the “rhema” of Christ, which is what we hear when the Word speaks to us. The “How,” is the Holy Spirit who affirms that the Word is true. And the “Where,” is our heart. Our responsibility is to pay attention, listening for His voice, and once hearing it, to respond by faith. We are told in Hebrews 3:7 “Today, if you will hear His voice, harden not your hearts,” and in James 1:18 to “…receive with meekness the engrafted Word which is able to save your souls.” When obeying Him, we prove the effectiveness of hearing and believing, “that something in our somewhere.” (ph)

Reactions: Jim C

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You give a great translation of that phrase.

That said, I don't think I'd ever use that phrase amongst the general public. Far too vague.

Reactions: PATrobas

PATrobas

Jan 17, 2024
Fall River Mills, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree about using the phrase in general without an explanation, but he uses it amongst the brethren who are familiar with him and the phrase's meaning. Thanks for the feedback, blessings.

Reactions: Jim C