What happens when we die ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
"No one has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven, the Son of man." (John 3:13 RSV)The way I read the above verse no one is in heaven. Where do our souls go? My wife wants to know where here Grandma is and I can't really tell her. Donnie

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
"No one has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven, the Son of man." (John 3:13 RSV)

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. MATTHEW 7:13-14The gate is the gate to heaven.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Well I guess until some one comes back and tells us we are all in the dark....theres really no way to tell if a loved one is in heaven got no phone to call or any thing like that....I guess we take it for granted thats where you go where ever it is.....
Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. MATTHEW 7:13-14
Good verse but does not tell him where the soul goes....supposedly heaven yes, but no one has came back to confirm this....verse says there is a way in but who can confirm any one has gone through it?

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
I understand MATTHEW 7:13-14 but looking at John 3:13 "No one has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven, the Son of man." I suppose everyone is gathered "outside" the gate waiting to go in?

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
Christ ascended back into heaven from where He came, yes. But if we recall His ascension was reported to have been seen by the naked eye as He was resurrected both body, spirit and soul. So perhaps it is that we need to take a look into the possibility of the spiritual ascension and that we will be given new bodies upon Christ's return. I think it is also we need to remember Elijah and Elisha....Elisha saw Elijah taken up into on a chariot of fire....then there is the Revelation of JohnRev 6:9 ¶ And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: John reveals here that there are souls of martyrs in heaven waiting for the day the Lord avenges their blood shed. I believe that there is spiritual ascension as we note they are souls under the altar, not bodies. But this also may be something we will not know until we ourselves are taken there.blessings

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well theres only one thing we are told for sure that is we are with the the Lord to be absent from the body is to present with the lord2Cr 5:8 We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Yeah but what hes asking is wheres the proof thats where we go and how do we know thats what happens........makes for an interesting thought because I never thought about it till now...

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Easy explanation. Once you die, you're no longer in the 4th dimension. Time doesn't affect you, because our souls are immortal. So once we are dead, we go straight to the white throne judgment (or that whole Millennialism thing). That's the way I see it.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
read 1 Thess 4:13 those that are asleep are the dead thats the subject of the this part of the chapter where are the dead13But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. At the last 7th trump we will all be changed into spirit bodies2Cr 5:8 We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(DONNIE;46806)
"No one has ascended into heaven but He who descended from heaven, the Son of man." (John 3:13 RSV)
Up until Jesus rose from the dead no one had gone to heaven. The believers were in what was called Paradise--awaiting the Messiah.

allanpopa

Apr 23, 2008
"What happens when we die?"~Opening QuestionI'd say, the same thing that happened before we were born when we didn't exist. The universe will continue without our existing in it.Allan.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(allanpopa;46844)
"What happens when we die?"~Opening QuestionI'd say, the same thing that happened before we were born when we didn't exist. The universe will continue without our existing in it.Allan.
We did exist before we were born and we will exist after we die All souls were created at the same time we are appointed once to die in the flesh and at the last trump (7th) God promises we will all be changed into spiritbodies that are incoruptable in the twinkling of an eye.1Cr 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. And as I quoted above God says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord flesh is tempoary the soul/spirit is our true state

allanpopa

Apr 23, 2008
Hmm, see Kriss, I wouldn't interpret Biblical talk of the afterlife or of the "End Times" literally. I also have issues with saying that we are "souls" that are pre-existent and that this carnal body is simply a house or a shell for us. My issue, it's fundamentally dehumanizing! My spirit is my carnality.Let's dismiss now any Platonism that has crept into the Church, and let's look simply at the Jewish concept of Resurrection, Maccabees and Daniel give most testament to this concept. How did it arise? The Jews were persecuted unjustly by Antiochus IV Epiphanes, and they discussed the nature of their God, ie justice. Think of this as the cry of the persecuted, "How can God be just and sovereign and we be treated so unjustly by forigners?" The answer, God will one day clean up this big mess, and when God does, the dead themselves will rise to life! It sounds proclamatory. It sounds like exaltation of God, most notably, of God's justice. It sounds to me, like a metaphor describing the New heavens and the New earth; the eschaton, the end of injustice and the beginning of heaven on earth.Allan.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well I guess thats your choice I know better. I have no problem understanding the Bible and what it says and what is to be taken literal, spiritual or is symbolic.And if you find it dehumanizing its met to be the flesh is a state of Sin. And God is never unjust its just mans lack to understand it in context.

allanpopa

Apr 23, 2008
(kriss;46889)
Well I guess thats your choice I know better.
I'm glad you're not being condescending about it though.(kriss;46889)
I have no problem understanding the Bible and what it says and what is to be taken literal, spiritual or is symbolic.
I have no problem with it either, I simply hold a prejudice that says, some form of literature is mythological and should be interpreted metaphorically.(kriss;46889)
And if you find it dehumanizing its met to be the flesh is a state of Sin.
I find it dehumanizing to say that the flesh and spirit are separate entities, because it is always the flesh which suffers as a result. Perhaps not always in theory, but always in practicalities.(kriss;46889)
And God is never unjust its just mans lack to understand it in context.
I never said that God was unjust, I simply said that the Jewish concept of a Resurrection was a theology of God's justice. Allan.

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
"Jon-Marc pretty much explained it."Really? I've read it 5 times with great concentration and thought. His post explains something but does not answer the question at all. "up until"? "were"? I want to know about "now".