What hell truly is:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is hell?
This subject has not been discussed for a while, and while many shy away from the subject it is a Bible topic that is very relevant to Christians. If you lived in the first century or before, you were very well aware of the meaning of hell, but during the period of apostasy has been extremely misrepresented. In fact so badly so that most have come to believe that God is going to torture people eternally in it. To put your mind at ease, and please research if my words are true, hell is quite simply and literally defined as the abode of the dead. That is an extremely accurate definition. (Not mine, but Bible dictionaries).

Hell is an English word, therefore was not found in the original Bible, rather was translated from the Hebrew word Sheol, and the Greek word Hades, which most have heard before. In our time the word hell was made very popular through the King James Version of the Bible which was the primary version that most of the English world used for centuries, and many still do. Sheol occurs 65 times in the Bible and is translated in the King James Bible 31x as hell, 31x as grave, and 3 times as pit. So, hell, grave, and pit is Sheol, they all mean the same thing, as William is Bill, Will, or Liam. Grave of course is the easiest to understand, and over time hell was used to basically scare people into serving God. Consistency in translation would likely have squelched the God dishonoring doctrine from forming, but because of that inconsistency most today do not understand what is actually being said. I find however, that more and more faiths are understanding it better now than 50 yrs ago Dan 12:4.

Sheol is exactly the same place/thing as Hades, how can we discern that? We can look at a prophecy and it's fulfillment to see this. Psalms 16:10 states: Ps 16:10leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. and the Strongs assists us with:lwaX Sh@'owl (sheh-ole'); Noun Feminine, Strong #: 7585
And Acts 2:31 states: Ac 2:31before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption again the Strongs: a/&dhß Hades (hah'-dace); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Location, Strong #: 86
See how they are the same place/thing? Note as well going there has nothing whatsoever to do with sin, as we see that Jesus went there upon death as well. Everyone who dies goes there. And while most are unaware of this, everyone will get out upon resurrection, hell will be emptied: Re 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. Isn't this great news?

Ok, now that we have that covered, where has the torturous hell that people refer to come from? Again, if you lived in the first century down you would understand what is being said. The third word translated hell many times along with a Greek word translated fire, is a Hebrew word Gehenna. It occurs 12 times in the New testament, and is represented symbolically in Revelation as the lake of fire which is mentioned only 2 times in Scripture, and both times defines itself as the second death. Jesus pointed to individuals being cast into it. What does this mean?

Point blank it means the second death as the Bible states. The Bible tells us at: Hebrews 9:27) . . .it is reserved for men to die once for all time, but after this to receive a judgment, but those who fail the judgment, then are cast into the lake of fire, of which there is no recovery, the second death. Or in other words permanent death. Remember God stated from the very beginning to Adam and Eve disobedience will result in death, and He told them what death was, they would return to the ground that they were taken from. Much later the Bible defines death: (Ecclesiastes 9:5-10) 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. . . . 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.

What is different about Gehenna? It is actually a judgment, a permanent judgment for those who do not receive salvation. The second death. Jesus gave an example of a way to receive that judgment: Mt 12:31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
They have no forgiveness, therefore they have received the judgment of the lake of fire. Take heart however, this is an extremely hard judgment to get, as you have to know God well, and literally work against His purposes to get that judgment. Few truly know God well, in fact, most do not even know His name if you ask. I am certainly not recommending that you do not continue to learn about God, coming to know Him better. Please learn something about Him every day.

I hope this helps, many will think I am wrong, and I encourage you to do the research for yourself. Remember this however, only God can keep you alive, and if you state that people are going to be tortured eternally in a volcano of fire, you may blame the individual or satan, but in reality you are stating that God is doing that to them. Think about it, satan can not provide life, only God. The Bible states God is Love, and one of His qualities is Justice, neither would apply. What could any individual do in the max of 120 yrs that would warrant that? Remember God is exacting, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, life for life, exacting. That is why Jesus had to be sent as Adam was perfect and lost life for us, therefore a perfect man had to be sacrificed to appease the exacting law. A corresponding ransom.

Another way to think about it through a parents eyes. All children are disobedient on occasion, let us say the child did something really bad, would you heat the stove red hot and put their hand on it? What would you think of someone who did? Remember as well that would only happen momentarily. Do you honestly think you have a keener sense of justice, or are you more loving than God?

Everlasting life, or everlasting death, is the actual outcome of all of us. Thanks for reading this.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is hell?
This subject has not been discussed for a while, and while many shy away from the subject it is a Bible topic that is very relevant to Christians. If you lived in the first century or before, you were very well aware of the meaning of hell, but during the period of apostasy has been extremely misrepresented. In fact so badly so that most have come to believe that God is going to torture people eternally in it. To put your mind at ease, and please research if my words are true, hell is quite simply and literally defined as the abode of the dead. That is an extremely accurate definition. (Not mine, but Bible dictionaries).

Hell is an English word, therefore was not found in the original Bible, rather was translated from the Hebrew word Sheol, and the Greek word Hades, which most have heard before. In our time the word hell was made very popular through the King James Version of the Bible which was the primary version that most of the English world used for centuries, and many still do. Sheol occurs 65 times in the Bible and is translated in the King James Bible 31x as hell, 31x as grave, and 3 times as pit. So, hell, grave, and pit is Sheol, they all mean the same thing, as William is Bill, Will, or Liam. Grave of course is the easiest to understand, and over time hell was used to basically scare people into serving God. Consistency in translation would likely have squelched the God dishonoring doctrine from forming, but because of that inconsistency most today do not understand what is actually being said. I find however, that more and more faiths are understanding it better now than 50 yrs ago Dan 12:4.

Sheol is exactly the same place/thing as Hades, how can we discern that? We can look at a prophecy and it's fulfillment to see this. Psalms 16:10 states: Ps 16:10leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. and the Strongs assists us with:lwaX Sh@'owl (sheh-ole'); Noun Feminine, Strong #: 7585
And Acts 2:31 states: Ac 2:31before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption again the Strongs: a/&dhß Hades (hah'-dace); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Location, Strong #: 86
See how they are the same place/thing? Note as well going there has nothing whatsoever to do with sin, as we see that Jesus went there upon death as well. Everyone who dies goes there. And while most are unaware of this, everyone will get out upon resurrection, hell will be emptied: Re 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. Isn't this great news?

Ok, now that we have that covered, where has the torturous hell that people refer to come from? Again, if you lived in the first century down you would understand what is being said. The third word translated hell many times along with a Greek word translated fire, is a Hebrew word Gehenna. It occurs 12 times in the New testament, and is represented symbolically in Revelation as the lake of fire which is mentioned only 2 times in Scripture, and both times defines itself as the second death. Jesus pointed to individuals being cast into it. What does this mean?

Point blank it means the second death as the Bible states. The Bible tells us at: Hebrews 9:27) . . .it is reserved for men to die once for all time, but after this to receive a judgment, but those who fail the judgment, then are cast into the lake of fire, of which there is no recovery, the second death. Or in other words permanent death. Remember God stated from the very beginning to Adam and Eve disobedience will result in death, and He told them what death was, they would return to the ground that they were taken from. Much later the Bible defines death: (Ecclesiastes 9:5-10) 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. . . . 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.

What is different about Gehenna? It is actually a judgment, a permanent judgment for those who do not receive salvation. The second death. Jesus gave an example of a way to receive that judgment: Mt 12:31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
They have no forgiveness, therefore they have received the judgment of the lake of fire. Take heart however, this is an extremely hard judgment to get, as you have to know God well, and literally work against His purposes to get that judgment. Few truly know God well, in fact, most do not even know His name if you ask. I am certainly not recommending that you do not continue to learn about God, coming to know Him better. Please learn something about Him every day.

I hope this helps, many will think I am wrong, and I encourage you to do the research for yourself. Remember this however, only God can keep you alive, and if you state that people are going to be tortured eternally in a volcano of fire, you may blame the individual or satan, but in reality you are stating that God is doing that to them. Think about it, satan can not provide life, only God. The Bible states God is Love, and one of His qualities is Justice, neither would apply. What could any individual do in the max of 120 yrs that would warrant that? Remember God is exacting, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, life for life, exacting. That is why Jesus had to be sent as Adam was perfect and lost life for us, therefore a perfect man had to be sacrificed to appease the exacting law. A corresponding ransom.

Another way to think about it through a parents eyes. All children are disobedient on occasion, let us say the child did something really bad, would you heat the stove red hot and put their hand on it? What would you think of someone who did? Remember as well that would only happen momentarily. Do you honestly think you have a keener sense of justice, or are you more loving than God?

Everlasting life, or everlasting death, is the actual outcome of all of us. Thanks for reading this.
I think hell is the consequences of our sin. For example, if you rob a bank, you go to prison. Aren't there places we'd rather be?

Reactions: bbyrd009

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert,

You did a great job at breaking all of those things down, and thank you for sharing your insights, and with that these are my own to share here with others to consider.

From my understanding the suggestion of point to Gehenna, was a judgment call upon the nation of Israel, Jerusalem, ie: Children of Israel.

As you state Sheol or hades was the abode of the dead. Satan, the False Prophet, and the Beast, where the only ones to ever go and be in an everlasting fire which would be forever in Revelation 20, then there was another relative comparison of the those who had a ‘part’ in the lake of fire was is creating that of a scene of some type of purging fire, in I believe Revelation 21.

God is an all consuming fire, after all, who burns away darkness, through his Son Jesus Christ. And The Lord desires none to perish but for all to come to a change of mind.

Then you have the consummating final overall in Revelation 22 which is a picture of the kingdom of Heaven with open gates, and people who may have the right to enter and part take of the tree of life and go be with God.

Then you have those who are outside the kingdom whom died having no faith in the Son of God by their own volition of deciding to not believe in the death, burial, and resurrection, and having love for God and others, which I believe will be the judgment of each individual who died and leaves here on earth.

Thank you again for submitting your views and thoughts on the matter of hell,

God bless you and all,
Matthew Gallagher.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think hell is the consequences of our sin. For example, if you rob a bank, you go to prison. Aren't there places we'd rather be?

No sir, like I said Jesus went there, although it did start with sin, as there would have been no grave necessary since death came through sin. The grave was instituted with death, the first recorded one to go there was Abel.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sir, like I said Jesus went there, although it did start with sin, as there would have been no grave necessary since death came through sin. The grave was instituted with death, the first recorded one to go there was Abel.
I don't think you'd enjoy being in prison for an extended period of time.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
What is hell?

Robert....I honestly never read much of what you write.
And its the same with this Thread.
What i did was scanned it till i found the word "hades", and then i realized that you are a "no heller".
So, let me help.

Here is the Situation.

You have God, the Heavenly Host, Christ, and all the Born again.

They are all Family.....with the same FATHER.
See that, Reader?

Now, on the flip side, you have Satan, the Demons (fallen angels), and all the Christ Rejectors.
They are one FAMILY.....one Spiritual Family.......

How to understand that correctly?

God is the HOLY Spirit.......a real bible says = God is "A" Spirit, which separates the HOLY Spirit from all other spirits, such as the Devil's which is the UNHoly Spirit.

So, the Children of God.....Born again SPIRITUALLY, are in the Family of God, because they are a part of God's Spirit.

The Devil's own.........all the unbelievers, are this.......>"Jesus said....YOU are of YOUR FATHER.....THE DEVIL, and the lusts of your Father you will do".

So, that is everyone who is not born again.

Now here is the problem.
Where do you put those who are not born again, who are children of the Devil?
Do you put them in Heaven, with the born again Children of God?

No.
You put them with Their Father., for ETERNITY.

Here :

KJ21
“Then shall He say also unto them on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
ASV
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels:
AMP
“Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Leave Me, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels (demons);
AMPC
Then He will say to those at His left hand, Begone from Me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels!
BRG
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
CSB
“Then he will also say to those on the left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels!
CEB
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Get away from me, you who will receive terrible things. Go into the unending fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels.
CJB
“Then he will also speak to those on his left, saying, ‘Get away from me, you who are cursed! Go off into the fire prepared for the Adversary and his angels!
CEV
Then the king will say to those on his left, “Get away from me! You are under God’s curse. Go into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels!
DARBY
Then shall he say also to those on the left, Go from me, cursed, into eternal fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
DLNT
Then He will also say to the ones on the left side, ‘Depart from Me, the ones having been cursed, into the eternal fire having been prepared for the devil and his angels.
DRA
Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels.
ERV
“Then the king will say to the evil people on his left, ‘Get away from me. God has already decided that you will be punished. Go into the fire that burns forever—the fire that was prepared for the devil and his angels.
EHV
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire, which is prepared for the Devil and his angels.
ESV
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
ESVUK
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
EXB
“Then the King will say to those on his left, ‘·Go away [Depart] from me. You ·will be punished [are cursed]. Go into the ·fire that burns forever [eternal fire] that was prepared for the devil and his angels [C the demons].
GNV
Then shall he say to them on the left hand, Depart from me ye cursed, into everlasting fire, which is prepared for the devil and his angels.
GW
“Then the king will say to those on his left, ‘Get away from me! God has cursed you! Go into everlasting fire that was prepared for the devil and his angels!
GNT
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert....I honestly never read much of what you write.
And its the same with this Thread.
What i did was scanned it till i found the word "hades", and then i realized that you are a "no heller".
So, let me help.

Here is the Situation.

You have God, the Heavenly Host, Christ, and all the Born again.

They are all Family.....with the same FATHER.
See that, Reader?

Now, on the flip side, you have Satan, the Demons (fallen angels), and all the Christ Rejectors.
They are one FAMILY.....one Spiritual Family.......

How to understand that correctly?

God is the HOLY Spirit.......a real bible says = God is "A" Spirit, which separates the HOLY Spirit from all other spirits, such as the Devil's which is the UNHoly Spirit.

So, the Children of God.....Born again SPIRITUALLY, are in the Family of God, because they are a part of God's Spirit.

The Devil's own.........all the unbelievers, are this.......>"Jesus said....YOU are of YOUR FATHER.....THE DEVIL, and the lusts of your Father you will do".

So, that is everyone who is not born again.

Now here is the problem.
Where do you put those who are not born again, who are children of the Devil?
Do you put them in Heaven, with the born again Children of God?

No.
You put them with Their Father., for ETERNITY.

Here :

KJ21
“Then shall He say also unto them on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
ASV
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels:
AMP
“Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Leave Me, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels (demons);
AMPC
Then He will say to those at His left hand, Begone from Me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels!
BRG
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
CSB
“Then he will also say to those on the left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels!
CEB
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Get away from me, you who will receive terrible things. Go into the unending fire that has been prepared for the devil and his angels.
CJB
“Then he will also speak to those on his left, saying, ‘Get away from me, you who are cursed! Go off into the fire prepared for the Adversary and his angels!
CEV
Then the king will say to those on his left, “Get away from me! You are under God’s curse. Go into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels!
DARBY
Then shall he say also to those on the left, Go from me, cursed, into eternal fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
DLNT
Then He will also say to the ones on the left side, ‘Depart from Me, the ones having been cursed, into the eternal fire having been prepared for the devil and his angels.
DRA
Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels.
ERV
“Then the king will say to the evil people on his left, ‘Get away from me. God has already decided that you will be punished. Go into the fire that burns forever—the fire that was prepared for the devil and his angels.
EHV
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire, which is prepared for the Devil and his angels.
ESV
ESVUK
EXB
“Then the King will say to those on his left, ‘·Go away [Depart] from me. You ·will be punished [are cursed]. Go into the ·fire that burns forever [eternal fire] that was prepared for the devil and his angels [C the demons].
GNV
Then shall he say to them on the left hand, Depart from me ye cursed, into everlasting fire, which is prepared for the devil and his angels.
GW
“Then the king will say to those on his left, ‘Get away from me! God has cursed you! Go into everlasting fire that was prepared for the devil and his angels!
GNT
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!

Mal 3:18

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think you'd enjoy being in prison for an extended period of time.

The beauty of it is Bob, although some have been in the grave for thousands of years, when they are resurrected it will seem like it was instantaneous. I would imagine that most will wonder what the heck happened. Remember there is no consciousness in the grave.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The beauty of it is Bob, although some have been in the grave for thousands of years, when they are resurrected it will seem like it was instantaneous. I would imagine that most will wonder what the heck happened. Remember there is no consciousness in the grave.
Don't you suppose those people are already there?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you suppose those people are already there?

We believe the anointed who have died are in heaven at this time. We believe that Rev 20:6 took place sometime soon after Jesus received the crown, but cannot be sure about this. That resurrection will definitely take place prior to Jesus return for sure as recorded at 1 Thes 4:15-17; 1 Cor 15:23

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We believe the anointed who have died are in heaven at this time. We believe that Rev 20:6 took place sometime soon after Jesus received the crown, but cannot be sure about this. That resurrection will definitely take place prior to Jesus return for sure as recorded at 1 Thes 4:15-17; 1 Cor 15:23
We can't see Jesus, but isn't he already here?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can't see Jesus, but isn't he already here?

Jesus gave the sign of his presence (parousiva Parousia (par-oo-see'-ah);
Word Origin: Greek, Noun Feminine, Strong #: 3952
presence) some versions translate that coming. In Mat 24, Parousia means he was enthroned as King, but his actual return has not happened yet and is recorded for us at 1 Thes 4:15-17 and 2 Thes 1:6-9 tells us what he will do when he returns.

So we believe the Mat 24:3 presence has happened, but the rest of the chapter points out what will happen during what is called the last days, just prior to his return to do the battle of Armageddon Bob. Nice that you picked up on that sir.