What is a false christ ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most Christian-based cults distort Christ by compromising His deity. Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that Jesus was a created being the archangel Michael prior to His human birth. Mormons deny the virgin birth; Jehovah’s Witnesses and Armstrong’s Worldwide Church of God, the bodily resurrection

Defective Christology. Cults usually deny the true Deity of Christ, or the true humanity of Jesus. Some, such as Mormons, deny the virgin birth. They say that God the Father had sexual relations with Mary. I John 4:1-3 gives a scriptural litmus test for false teachers.

Among the most common feature of these cults is a defective view of Christ. Defective views of Christ are not new, they go back to the early days of the church. One of the apostle Paul's principal reasons for writing his letter to the Colossian Church was to combat a heretical view of Christ that was being taught there. During the second century the church had to battle against the heresy of Gnosticism, which denied the true humanity of Christ. In the fourth century the church battled against the Arian heresy which denied the true deity of Christ. Most modern day cults follow in the footsteps of their predecessors. For example, the Jehovah's Witnesses are simply a modern version of the Arian cult. Like the Arians of the fourth century, the Jehovah's Witnesses deny that the Son is co-eternal with the Father. Like the Arians, the Jehovah's Witnesses regard the Son as being created by the Father. Christian Science is another cult which has a defective view of Jesus Christ. They do not believe in the existence of matter - to them the material world is an illusion. So according to their teaching Jesus Christ did not have a real body. In this they repeat the same heresy of the Gnostics, who denied the real humanity of Christ. The Mormons also have a very defective view of Christ in that, they regard Jesus Christ the first-born among the spirit children of God. They do not believe that Jesus is the eternal Son of God. Rather they regard Him as the offspring of a mortal mother and an immortal father.

A Defective Christology
"Who is Jesus Christ?" This is the most important question a person can ever ask. Our deepest joys on earth and hope of eternal life rest upon our answer to that question. Because this is so, the primary activity of Satan must surely be to obscure as much as possible the true nature and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Satan knows that an improper or incomplete understanding of the person and work of Christ makes salvation impossible.
Early heresies such as Cerinthianism denied the humanity of Christ (John 1:14; 1 John 1:1-3; 4:1-3). Arianism denied the deity of Christ (John 1:1, 8:58). Others denied the union of his two natures in one person. Gnosticism taught that there were many spiritual levels and mediators between earth and heaven of which Jesus was merely one (Colossians 1:16, 2:3-23). Most cults today follow in one of these errors. The most insidious cults which insist on extra-biblical revelations and esoteric and mystical experiences of God are simply the children of the Gnostics.

The central doctrine of Christianity is Christology, the doctrine of the nature of the person of Jesus Christ as revealed in space-time history. Any teaching that compromises the humanity or deity of Christ and His uniqueness as the only God-man, destroys the efficacy of the atonement, the work of Christ on the cross, and thereby the basis of the gospel.

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life. No once comes to the Father but by me." (John 14:6). If Jesus was not fully God and fully human, he had no authority to say so. John 1:14 tells us that Jesus was "full of truth." In John 1:18 we are told that no one has ever seen God, but the unique Son "has made Him known." Anything after the words of Jesus Christ would be anticlimactical, a descent from the mountain top of revelation. Jesus was the only one qualified to reveal to humanity the truth about God. Jesus perfectly fulfilled that mission (John 17:6-8,14).
In the closing days of the earthly ministry of Christ, he took the Apostles aside to prepare them for His departure. The narrative in John 14:7-10 is very instructive in helping us to discern the error many cults make with regard to the sufficiency of Christ's revelation of God. To comfort His disciples Jesus reminds them that through Him, they now knew the Father and had seen Him. But Philip was not satisfied. He begs for one glimpse of the Father (John 14:8) believing this would suffice. He may have felt that they had not quite got as close as Moses who got to see the back of Almighty God. If only he could have a similar experience. But notice that Jesus was clearly distressed by Philip's request.
"Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:9)
Philip's search for something more, a deeper revelation of God than Jesus had given was an insult to Jesus, and received a rebuke. How could a vision of God be more thrilling than to talk with God's Son? In the words of Jesus Christ we have the full revelation of the Father's will. Everything Jesus had learned from the Father, He had made known to them, and through them to us (John 15:15, 16:12-15). To believe that the revelation of Christ in Scripture is insufficient is to hold a defective Christology.

It cannot be overstated that biblical doctrine, that is, what we understand about the way God has revealed Himself in history and supremely in Jesus Christ is of vital importance in perpetuating orthodox Christianity and withstanding heresy.

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to spot a counterfeit christ. @MatthewG

There is an actual angel of light that has a counterfeit Jesus and a counterfeit gospel. He mimics the real thing and it sounds good enough to deceive the nations with his false Christ and a gospel that damns the multitudes. The bible is full of warnings from Jesus and the Apostles of the false christs and false gospel that would appear after Jesus ascension. Lets look at the real Jesus and the counterfeit jesus of the cults and heretics. Belief in the real Jesus will save you and trusting in the other jesus will damn one for an eternity in the lake of fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

*The real Jesus was both God and man.
*The counterfeit is just a man.

*The real Jesus as both God/man pre existed as Yahweh prior to the Incarnation.
*The counterfeit jesus is just a man or the first of Gods creation.

*The real Jesus has life in Himself.
*The counterfeit has everything given to him as he is just a man.

*The real Jesus is/was sinless because He has no sin nature and could not sin. He could not be tempted to sin from within.
*The counterfeit could be tempted for his nature was identical to ours.

*The real Jesus is a member of the triune God.
*The counterfeit jesus is just a man and cannot be God.

*The real Jesus rose from the dead in the same body that Thomas touched and confessed was his Lord and his God. This Jesus now resides in heaven with His glorified physical body of flesh and bones.
*The counterfeit jesus rose a spirit being and no longer has the body Thomas touched.

*The real Jesus is alone the only way to Salvation. Faith alone in Him is what saves a person and gives them eternal life. It is the saving faith of His death, burial and resurrection of Jesus as Immanuel ( God in the flesh).
*The counterfeit jesus cannot save and therefore one must work for their salvation. It is faith plus something else that man must do to gain eternal life.

*The real Jesus will return physically in the same body that God raised Him with from the dead. This Jesus will return to execute Judgment with the saints of God.
*The counterfeit jesus will not return physically but spititually.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormons deny the virgin birth
Actually "Mormons" believe that Jesus Christ was born to the virgin Mary. This is stated not only in the Bible but point-blank in the Book of Mormon. It's also believed that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, has always existed and always been God. He, the Father, and the Spirit are 3 persons in 1 God.

As to the rest of this post: @Christophany is this something you wanted to discuss, or just post your concrete conclusions?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually "Mormons" believe that Jesus Christ was born to the virgin Mary. This is stated not only in the Bible but point-blank in the Book of Mormon. It's also believed that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, has always existed and always been God. He, the Father, and the Spirit are 3 persons in 1 God.

As to the rest of this post: @Christophany is this something you wanted to discuss, or just post your concrete conclusions?
Thanks for clarifying your beliefs . Would all Mormons agree with what you said ? Thanks

Reactions: The Learner

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Very good.

I would add the Jesus of Islam, which is viewed as a prophet and not the son of God. It also tends to makes apparitions of his face.

*The real Jesus is/was sinless because He has no sin nature and could not sin. He could not be tempted to sin from within.
*The counterfeit could be tempted for his nature was identical to ours.

I take issue with this one. The bible says Jesus was tempted in every way yet was without sin.

The Devil, his angels, Adam and Eve all sined without having original sin. So Jesus would have been able to sin as well if he didn't resist the temptation to do so.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good.

I would add the Jesus of Islam, which is viewed as a prophet and not the son of God. It also tends to makes apparitions of his face.

I take issue with this one. The bible says Jesus was tempted in every way yet was without sin.

The Devil, his angels, Adam and Eve all sined without having original sin. So Jesus would have been able to sin as well if he didn't resist the temptation to do so.
I believe in the Impeccability of Christ .

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No let’s discuss where we agree or disagree
Say you have a young person in your congregation (whether young biological or just young in faith). They believe that the Father/Son/Spirit are 1 person. Now obviously as a Trinitarian you believe that's incorrect, your list above was quite lengthy.

But my question is: do you declare the young person a cultist or damned because they are still learning theology and worship a "false Christ"? Is their salvation dependent upon their ability to ace a theology test?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Say you have a young person in your congregation (whether young biological or just young in faith). They believe that the Father/Son/Spirit are 1 person. Now obviously as a Trinitarian you believe that's incorrect, your list above was quite lengthy.

But my question is: do you declare the young person a cultist or damned because they are still learning theology and worship a "false Christ"? Is their salvation dependent upon their ability to ace a theology test?
Great question!

I would walk them through the scriptures to show him/ her that God in not a solitary Person but is Tri- Personal.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question!

I would walk them through the scriptures to show him/ her that God in not a solitary Person but is Tri- Personal.
With respect, I asked if you would declare them to be a cultist and/or damned? That's what the first 2 posts of this thread do.

For me: I would indeed strive to help the person learn better (theology is super important!). But I would never declare a person a "cultists" or "damned" because they lack the ability to pass a theology test-- that's not how we are saved. The "anti-cult" position of "you must believe XYZ else you are a cultist" gives the false impression that a person is saved by passing XYZ theology test rather than by faith. That's not the impression I want to be giving anyone!

Nor do I want to stifle anyone's growth in faith by going "you are a damned cultist!" --we also aren't insulted/attacked into faith in Christ. Rather, teaching should be done from a position of love & gentleness, like the still small voice that is the Holy Spirit. That when hearts are changed.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With respect, I asked if you would declare them to be a cultist and/or damned? That's what the first 2 posts of this thread do.

For me: I would indeed strive to help the person learn better (theology is super important!). But I would never declare a person a "cultists" or "damned" because they lack the ability to pass a theology test-- that's not how we are saved. The "anti-cult" position of "you must believe XYZ else you are a cultist" gives the false impression that a person is saved by passing XYZ theology test rather than by faith. That's not the impression I want to be giving anyone!

Nor do I want to stifle anyone's growth in faith by going "you are a damned cultist!" --we also aren't insulted/attacked into faith in Christ. Rather, teaching should be done from a position of love & gentleness, like the still small voice that is the Holy Spirit. That when hearts are changed.
I was intentionally being “ controversial “ with the OP which is how the majority of Protestantism views this topic .

It’s how the late Dr Walter Martin viewed cults in his textbook - the kingdom of the cults

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was intentionally being “ controversial “ with the OP which is how the majority of Protestantism views this topic .

It’s how the late Dr Walter Martin viewed cults in his textbook - the kingdom of the cults
Being popular doesn't make something right, let alone of God.

Walter Martin's works .... suffice it to say I've seen them do MAJOR damage to Protestants and "cultists" alike. (That's a huge understatement). All Christians are better off without them.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being popular doesn't make something right, let alone of God.

Walter Martin's works .... suffice it to say I've seen them do MAJOR damage to Protestants and "cultists" alike and have nothing polite to say about them.
Agree and I have very friendly conversations with both JWs and Mormons when they come to my door . Some of the meanest things that have ever been said to me have been on another forum by Calvinists when I left Calvinism. You would of thought I went from being saved for over 40 to a heretic overnight . And I’ve treated them kindly and defend my position the same way and tone as I did when I was a Calvinist lol. But now that I’m challenging them I’m the bad guy lol . Throw Christian charity out of the window.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree and I have very friendly conversations with both JWs and Mormons when they come to my door . Some of the meanest things that have ever been said to me have been on another forum by Calvinists when I left Calvinism. You would of thought I went from being saved for over 40 to a heretic overnight . And I’ve treated them kindly and defend my position the same way and tone as I did when I was a Calvinist lol. But now that I’m challenging them I’m the bad guy lol . Throw Christian charity out of the window.
Amen!!!

And we’ll have to talk later about your faith transition- I’d love to hear the reasons and all about the journey.

Reactions: ChristisGod

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do I. But you take it to mean he wasn't tempted, it isn't a sin to be tempted.
I believe the impeccability of Christ, in that no sin held any inner attraction to Jesus. When He was tempted by Satan to turn stones into bread, I think He was very hungry, and so experienced that desire of the flesh, but I also thing He was very holy, and would never yield to the devil.

I image sin to Jesus was like putrid rotted meat in our nostrils.

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!!!

And we’ll have to talk later about your faith transition- I’d love to hear the reasons and all about the journey.

This is it in a nutshell. I was a former Calvinist for several decades and have recently reexamined those beliefs in light of Gods nature/character within the eternal relationship of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

What began this journey was the Calvinist doctrine I once believed for over 40 years called the Penal Substitution theory of the Atonement ( PSA ) where the Son was the recipient of Gods wrath ( anger, retribution ) from the Father and was forsaken( the Father turned away from the Son for hours ) and the Father left the Son ( abandoned ) Him. At this point the relationship with Father/Son was severed.

Now I reject this teaching in light of Gods eternal/Immutable nature/character because of Gods primary and core attribute which is Love. God is love. Gods nature as love is perfect and is relational/experienced between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit before there was a creation when only there was the Eternal and Unchanging Tri-Unity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

When I was a calvinist I only viewed and studied the Bible through a calvinist lens/systematic. That would not allow me to learn anything new and on the forums I would only be defending calvinism. I had a bias , I was closed minded to others beliefs. So the past 2 years I fell as though I have been set free, I can see things fresh and new because I'm not reading and studying the bible with a bias and calvinistic view. I'm learning and growing again and its exciting. That first love I experienced over 40 years ago is now stronger than ever. I have fallen in love all over again with God and His word and I'm excited to see what God will show and teach me on a daily basis. Gods word has literally become alive again in my life and I can see things fresh/new and I have no systematic/dogmatic to defend like I had for years prior.

So I'm excited about this journey I'm not on and each day is a new day where God is teaching me.