What is grace?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Grace is simply His favor. read when Moses would mention it to the Lord.
I understand grace to be refering to God's favor and kindness towards us in giving to us forgiveness of sins and eternal life in Christ.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. There is no such thing as "God's faith". Faith is always directed towards the object of faith, and there is no object of faith for God -- who is the Lord God Almighty. Jesus said "Have faith in God" not "Have the faith of God".
The faith of Christ.

Galatians 2:16 KJV
16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Much love!

Reactions: Episkopos

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is by 'His faith' then that is that much more proof that our salvation is unconditional.
Permanent! We live because He lives, and He lives eternally. We are reconciled because Jesus intercedes, and He ever lives to make intercession. We are kept by the power of God through faith, because faith is the power of God in us. And the life I live, I live by the faith of Jesus.

Much love!

Reactions: prism

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good. I like it.

Any Scripture for it? Such as His hand holding us up by grace, so long as we believe, and not take nose dive into the depths of Satan?

We are saved grace through the faith of Jesus and justified by grace believing Jesus.

Romans 5:1-2 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Much love!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't quibble with people over whether it is through 'His faith' (Calvinism), or through our faith (Arminian), that gets too deep in the weeds for me. I will agree though, that salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, on account of Christ alone. :)

Reactions: marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Galatians 2:16 KJV
16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

RECEIVED TEXT
εἰδότες ὅτι οὐ δικαιοῦται ἄνθρωπος ἐξ ἔργων νόμου ἐὰν μὴ διὰ πίστεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ [literally "through faith from Jesus Christ"] καὶ ἡμεῖς εἰς Χριστὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐπιστεύσαμεν ἵνα δικαιωθῶμεν ἐκ πίστεως Χριστοῦ [literally "by faith from Christ"] καὶ οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων νόμου διότι οὐ δικαιωθήσεται ἐξ ἔργων νόμου πᾶσα σάρξ

Even though it says "from Christ" that is not the same as "of Christ". So what we find in most translations is "in Christ". A couple of translations say "the faithfulness of Christ" but that is incorrect.

If it was "the faith of Christ" the question arises "Does Christ have faith in Himself?" Obviously not, since
He is the object of faith for those who believe. So if it is "the faith from Christ" it would be that Christ generates faith in Himself through the preaching of the Gospel, and the Gospel is the seed of faith (Rom 10:17). And this becomes faith "from" Christ.

Reactions: marks

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The faith of Jesus is the faith He brought with Him upon the earth and lived by as a man is now available to all who believe.

This is the common faith for all believers to obey. They faith written out in Scripture. It is that faith which saves by grace: the common faith for the common salvation. (Jude 1:3)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
RECEIVED TEXT
εἰδότες ὅτι οὐ δικαιοῦται ἄνθρωπος ἐξ ἔργων νόμου ἐὰν μὴ διὰ πίστεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ [literally "through faith from Jesus Christ"] καὶ ἡμεῖς εἰς Χριστὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐπιστεύσαμεν ἵνα δικαιωθῶμεν ἐκ πίστεως Χριστοῦ [literally "by faith from Christ"] καὶ οὐκ ἐξ ἔργων νόμου διότι οὐ δικαιωθήσεται ἐξ ἔργων νόμου πᾶσα σάρξ

Even though it says "from Christ" that is not the same as "of Christ". So what we find in most translations is "in Christ". A couple of translations say "the faithfulness of Christ" but that is incorrect.

If it was "the faith of Christ" the question arises "Does Christ have faith in Himself?" Obviously not, since
He is the object of faith for those who believe. So if it is "the faith from Christ" it would be that Christ generates faith in Himself through the preaching of the Gospel, and the Gospel is the seed of faith (Rom 10:17). And this becomes faith "from" Christ.

The genetive case there shows source or possession, in this case, it's essentially the same thing. Faith which comes from or is possessed by Jesus Christ.

If it was "the faith of Christ" the question arises "Does Christ have faith in Himself?" Obviously not, since He is the object of faith for those who believe.

Should I overlook the actually wording because you have a logical objection to what you are thinking it means?

We believe in Jesus, and we are justified by the faith of Jesus. We can see it either way. We receive Him, He comes to live in us. His living in us transforms us into new people, spiritual people. His life is now our life, and His faith, the life I live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, Jesus. Because He lives in me, His faith is in me.

Or we can say, as we are beholding in a mirror the glory of the Lord, we are being transformed into the same image, His faith becomes our faith, either way, the Faith of Christ.

I don't find any need to change the face meaning of the words.

Much love!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand grace to be refering to God's favor and kindness towards us in giving to us forgiveness of sins and eternal life in Christ.

Much love!

the grace is the opportunity to repent and that it be accepted, of which what the Lord God sees as or will be faithful is then given the salvation or delivered from condemnation, as in the Life of Christ (born again).

Satan and friends don't get the acceptance of repentance, because they turned from the face of God, therefore they have seen God and basically rejected Him. that doesn't mean they don't know that whatever God says will be done, they know the Truth and will lie to you about it, they know what God looks like and will convince you they are God like, or in His image (you see a lot of that in churches) .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Robert,
I said that His grace is His "un-merited favor", meaning we get what we do not deserve as, He is a graceful God. And it is also His power (so to speak) for us to rise above infirmities, adversary's, or anything that we as humans might have battles with in this world.

"Your grace is sufficient for me...I say that allot when I become frustrated while not being able to do many things I used to be able to do easily. I accept it finally and say "your grace is sufficient for me Lord". And then I pray for Him to send someone who CAN do these things for me at a fair price :)

Again, JMHO
@Nancy I love to look at Ephesians 2 where grace is contrasted with what we really deserve, yet in spite of this the Lord intervenes in grace...

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy I love to look at Ephesians 2 where grace is contrasted with what we really deserve, yet in spite of this the Lord intervenes in grace...

Yes He does brother, and His mercies are new everyday!!

Lamentations 3:21-24

"21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."

Reactions: marks and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes He does brother, and His mercies are new everyday!!

Lamentations 3:21-24

"21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him."
@Nancy Heartening when reading Lamentations to see such verses in the middle of a solemn passage... :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, agreed.
Also, I do have that verse circled and the word "savior" underlined. Hard to read it without seeing God AS Savior but, there ya have it...Jesus WAS God. :)
@Nancy:

Ann Steele's words come to mind: :)

"Divine Instructor, gracious Lord,
Be Thou for ever near;
Teach me to love Thy sacred Word
And view my Saviour there."

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should not assert the entire Work is New Age when you could not even show an excerpt from it was.
Look her up on Wiki, they describe the Book as well.

Like I said, it's your decision, I was only giving out warning to those new in the faith and could be led away easily. You seem to have your heels dug in so I won't bother you.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You asserted the entire Work is New Age. You should not do that when you could not even show an excerpt from it was.
The woman was a Catholic Mystic, I don't expect her to write on Christian Apologetics, but rather New Ageish type material. Are you a disciple of Maria Valtorta? Can you at least admit she is a Catholic Mystic?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You assert the entire Work is New Age when you could not even show an excerpt from it is.
Show me where I used the word 'entire' or 'all'. Again, are you her disciple?
I also notice you have a new age-ish saying in your sig. "/"The eye of the soul is the will." — Jesus"
Where dis Jesus say that?
This is what He actually said..."Matthew 6:22 (NASB) "The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light." Big Difference.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not say you used the words "entire" or "all," but there is more than one way to say something. You called Maria Valtorta a New Age mystic and her entire body of Work "Catholic mysticism" which you consider New Age, and thus you consider her entire Work New Age, despite being unable to show an excerpt from it is.
I can only assume you are a disciple of hers after asking you twice, if you were, with no response. I also see you are mostly caught up in the new age yourself looking at your sig, and again no response. It makes perfect sense to me now.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I quoted an excerpt from a Work, a Work you asserted to be entirely New Age, despite being unable to show an excerpt from it is New Age.
This is a Christian Forum and the topic is ‘What is Grace’? Quit reaching for straws. Besides, I never said it was entirely new age (as you continue to falsely assert).
New Age uses a lot of Christian terms, they will even quote Scripture, but it’s nothing but a mixture of truth mixed with lies. The worst kind of deception. I’m sad to see you are caught up in New Age mysticism.

Please give some Scriptural backing for this mystical nonsense…

“A soul that loses grace loses everything. The Father has created her, to no avail; the Son has redeemed her, to no avail; the Holy Spirit has infused His gifts into her, to no avail; the Sacraments exist for, to no avail. She is dead. A rotten branch which, under the corrosive action of sin, becomes detached and falls from the tree of life, and in the end rots in the mud. If a soul were able to preserve herself as she is after Baptism and after Confirmation — that is, when is literally soaked with grace — that soul would only be a little less than God. Let this tell you all.

When you read the prodigies of My saints, you are astonished. But, My dear one, there is nothing to be astonished about. My saints were creatures who possessed grace; they were gods, therefore, for grace deifies you. Did I not state in My Gospel that My followers would work the same prodigies as I did? But to be mine, it is necessary to live by My Life — that is, by the life of grace.”

Last edited:

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I explained why you asserted the Work is entirely New Age in post #86 and you chose to do this despite having failed to show an excerpt from it is. That was not very bright but what is done is done. Going forward, try to think before you speak.
I did think, and thought to put you on ignore. I come here to fellowship with Christians, not New Agers or mystics. Have a nice life.