What is Hearing Only?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was a man....and HE had to resist temptation.

If the Holy Spirit has taken away all desire to sin which is dwelling on temptations and then acting on it, am I more powerful than Jesus, or the same. I, being born again am the same. As I said, Jesus was the firstborn of many brethren - we are the same family and have the same divine nature.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If the Holy Spirit has taken away all desire to sin which is dwelling on temptations and then acting on it, am I more powerful than Jesus, or the same. I, being born again am the same. As I said, Jesus was the firstborn of many brethren - we are the same family and have the same divine nature.

Your body does not have the same situation as Christ's body, when He was on the earth.
See, you have sinned, which is the death of your body, on the way.
Christ never sinned, so, His body was not under the curse of the law, as this comes into effect upon first sin.

Jesus was not born with a sin nature, and we are....so, we sin soon, as kids, and death has already reigned on us through Adam.
This is not the Case with the 2nd Adam.

Having no desire to sin, would be to reckon the old man dead, and exist in a place of LACK of sin consciousness.
This is the fruit of the "one time eternal sacrifice" that is Christ's.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture is actually pretty clear - After James says faith without works is dead, and uses an example of feeding and clothing those in need and taking care of widows and orphans as faith in action, then says to be hearers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Matthew 25 has the example of those who deceived themselves right into hell, as Jesus casts them into hell for not taking care of those in need:

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Not helping the needy falls into the category of: to know to do good and not to do it, is a sin. James 4:17.
taking care of widows and orphans as faith in action, then says to be hearers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

James 1 says that before James 2: Scripture in James is the same Scripture on all the epistles: the faith of Jesus that saves the soul.

James 2 begins with not having the faith of our Lord with respect of persons, of which blessing the poor is only a 2nd example.

The faith of our Lord is the faith that does the word, and so saves the soul:

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

The faith that does not do the word cannot save the soul, because the soul is not justified apart from doing the word:

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

The faith of Jesus is one faith that saves and blesses. Jesus does not have two faiths, one that saves vs another that blesses.

Them saying they have the faith of Jesus and are not obeying Him to keep His commandments, are unsaved hearers only and not justified with God:

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

We cannot be keeping the faith of Jesus without keeping His commandments.

Not helping the needy falls into the category of: to know to do good and not to do it, is a sin.

And prove they are not justified of God, and so not saved by the faith of God that obeys Him, being hearers only, no matter how agreeably they hear the word.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because of the Seed in Jesus and in me as a born again Christian, temptations that would cause some to dwell on them, goes off us, Jesus and me, like water off a ducks back. Have you ever understood it like that? That's why He naturally resisted the temptation.
True. In fact, the perfect seed of promise of God is Jesus Christ:

Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

And so, as He was the seed of God in the flesh, so are we called to be His seed in the flesh on earth as He was.

That is why His body and church is called the bride of Christ:

And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The church shall be called Christians, because the church is taken out of the man Christ Jesus, to be members of His body and flesh.

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

Hearers only that do not His word, are neither His flesh nor bones, for they are not eating of His flesh noir drinking of His blood, which is only by obeying Him in deed and in truth with His own pure heart.

And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your body does not have the same situation as Christ's body, when He was on the earth.
See, you have sinned, which is the death of your body, on the way.
Christ never sinned, so, His body was not under the curse of the law, as this comes into effect upon first sin.

Jesus was not born with a sin nature, and we are....so, we sin soon, as kids, and death has already reigned on us through Adam.
This is not the Case with the 2nd Adam.

Having no desire to sin, would be to reckon the old man dead, and exist in a place of LACK of sin consciousness.

This is the fruit of the "one time eternal sacrifice" that is Christ's.

While it is true, that Jesus' body was born on earth as Adam's before the transgression, not being conceived by sinful seed of man, his body did however become under the curse of the law on the cross, even as His soul died for our sins, when He took upon Himself the sins of the whole world to become the Lamb of God for all mankind.

This is why His body did die, when He Himself was made a quickening Spirit at the end of three hours, and willfully departed to the heart of the earth.

The Son of God knew for the space of three hours on the cross the death of His own soul by sin, by His separation from God in the similitude of Adam's transgression.

It was during that time, that Jesus Himself was tempted in all points such as we, being in sinful flesh, including the temptation to come down from the cross to destroy those mocking Him and demanding He do so to prove He was indeed the Son of God.

We are thus made His righteousness on the cross, by taking up our cross to endure and overcome all temptations of sinful flesh, even as He did for the space of three hours.

So long as we refuse temptation to come down off our cross, we will also depart this world being made quickening spirits with Him:

To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. In fact, the perfect seed of promise of God is Jesus Christ:

Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

And so, as He was the seed of God in the flesh, so are we called to be His seed in the flesh on earth as He was.

That is why His body and church is called the bride of Christ:

And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The church shall be called Christians, because the church is taken out of the man Christ Jesus, to be members of His body and flesh.

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

Hearers only that do not His word, are neither His flesh nor bones, for they are not eating of His flesh noir drinking of His blood, which is only by obeying Him in deed and in truth with His own pure heart.

And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

That is Who is inside of us when we abide in Him and keep his commandments 1 John 3:23-24.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's when video is turned off!

No, the video is left on, LOL, but we do not watch it, but instead keep on doing what we need to do and simply just listening to the video presenter as background noise to see if we agree with it.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is one main difference between hearing only Christians and obedient Christian saints:

Hearers only agree that the gospel is true, Christian saints hear and obey the truth.

I hear and agree saves no man. I hear and obey saves any man.

Hearers only are not them that hear and reject the gospel as a lie,
but are them that only agree with the gospel in word and tongue only.

Hearers only are agreers only, not obeyers at all.

Agreeing God is right, and Jesus is true, is not believing to obey Him in the heart.

They think they are justified with God only because they agree that God is true.

They think they are saved by only agreeing with God, before and apart from obeying Him.

They believe another gospel for hearers only, that they are saved by agreeing only.
So the thief on the cross that was promised by Jesus to be with Him in paradise wasn't saved?

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the thief on the cross that was promised by Jesus to be with Him in paradise wasn't saved?
This is about NT Salvation by the blood of the Lamb, not the OT blood of bulls and goats.

If he went to Abraham's bosom from his cross, he did so the same as every other OT believing saint.

So, do you agree about hearers only agreeing with the gospel, but not doing it?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good. The reason few are chosen, though there be many hearers that agree with the gospel, is because few exercise the power given us by faith to become sons of God, which is to obey the Son in all things, even as He obeyed the Father on earth, which begins in the heart to purify and keep our hearts pure from lust and vain thoughts for sins.

Those who don't, only exercise a false humility about how weak and helpless they are against the lust of the world, and have no part in their salvation, but only 'believe' they are saved, while continuing to read and hear the word without obeying it in all things.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who know the word of God, but choose not to obey it Rob
True, and they excuse their choice by teaching we have no choice while yet in this world. They teach remaining subject to the body of flesh, and their only freedom from the sins of the flesh will be at death, which is sinning unto death.

They think agreeing with it is good enough, because it's 'better' than those who reject it openly cursing Jesus' name.

The lukewarm are indeed them that only agree with Jesus, but do not obey Him as Lord. It makes God sick to see 'believers' thinking He would accept their sacrifice of agreement only.

They take up an agreeable cross to celebrate their useless grace. All nice and comfy with ongoing lust and salvation arm in arm.

They teach the blood of the Lamb as that of a bull or a goat, that only covers their lust, but does not purge their souls and hearts from it.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why justification by faith only is misleading. Someone may have faith IN Christ, but do not have the faith OF Christ from having Christ inside of them with His divine power, Romans 8:9, 2 Peter 1:2-4, instead still outside drawing them with knowledge.
A man after God's own heart. Well said.

Hearers only are not drawn to obey Him in all things with a purified heart, but are just drawn to agree with Him more and more with useless knowledge only.

Knowing of Him and agreeing with Him is not knowing Him, which is only by obeying Him:

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

When we read what hearers-only have to say, they never even speak of His power to obey Him and know Him, much less to do so in all things, which they call wild boasts of pride and label 'sinless' perfection.

I was so flabbergasted that God really existed and was speaking to me I repented for real and was filled with His Holy Spirit. I felt it, and my old nature leave my body. What an experience.

A far better testimony than Christian baby-talk about being 'gifted' salvation and 'celebrating' 'awesome' grace.

I spent a couple of decades being often filled with the spirit of God and learning to live blamelessly by the law, as Paul would say, but only when God put His fear in my heart, did I begin to take the Scripture seriously and obey Him inwardly to cast down and cast out all lust, imagination, and thoughts for sin. And like you, I was amazed to learn that we can do so and keep it that way, moment to moment, day to day, and the more we do so, the easier and more natural it gets.

It even gets to the point of John's conclusion that it becomes impossible to lust in the heart, while being a son of God in deed and in truth.

Once we are doing it, it becomes unthinkable to do otherwise.

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Committing sin begins in the heart with lust. I never committed adultery outwardly, but was doing so inwardly, and I believed a lie that lusting was only if we intended to do it. Lusting is lusting period. It is thinking on it. As Jesus said, taking thought on it. We are commanded to take no such thought for lust and evil. With the power of a son of God, we don't have to take those thoughts from the devil anymore.

God's grace and power are available to any who hear and agree with Him, but only the doers receive it in their hearts to obey Him: until we begin doing it, we are not exercising it at all.

But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

temptations that would cause some to dwell on them, goes off us, Jesus and me, like water off a ducks back. Have you ever understood it like that? That's why He naturally resisted the temptation.

Just as Abraham chased away the fowls of the air from eating at the pieces of his sacrifice to God. We are given power of God to become sons of God and do the same with all the fiery darts of the wicked, to quench them DOA.

But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Those who never understand that also reject it, because they personally refuse to do it. They don't want to understand something so simple, because they prefer the agreement only unconditional salvation of useless faith, that is dead being in agreement only.

They see Scripture as agreeable, but not doable in this life. They are Christians with high ideals about the word of God, but do not take it seriously enough to obey Him in all things and be as He is on this earth.

Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is about NT Salvation by the blood of the Lamb, not the OT blood of bulls and goats.

If he went to Abraham's bosom from his cross, he did so the same as every other OT believing saint.

So, do you agree about hearers only agreeing with the gospel, but not doing it?
That's pretty poor reasoning. The man was a thief. He was being crucified because he was caught as a thief. He was condemned by law. The OT "saints" were either accounted as righteous for faithfully keeping the law as was Zachariah the Father of John the Baptist, or by faith looking forward to the resurrection and the coming of the son of promise.
Your question is too vague to answer directly. If you keep the law and fail in any one point, you are then condemned by the law. If you believe the Lord and accept His righteousness by faith, you will not live a life of sin, and when you do commit sin, the blood of Christ cleanses you.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous, so that He will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. 1 John 1:6-10

Legalists don't like this passage, but the saints are eternally grateful for the mercy of God "which endures forever."

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Describe the "Grace of God" and how it affects you?
Their grace affects them with celebration only.

They have no regard for grace helping to endure and overcome temptation at all times unto the end.

For them, that's not what God's grace is for, neither is His salvation and blood.

They only agree God is good, and celebrate the fact that they are unconditionally saved forever, while their bodies go on doing what mortal natural bodies do: Lust in the heart and sin bodily with the devil.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good. The reason few are chosen, though there be many hearers that agree with the gospel, is because few exercise the power given us by faith to become sons of God, which is to obey the Son in all things, even as He obeyed the Father on earth, which begins in the heart to purify and keep our hearts pure from lust and vain thoughts for sins.

Those who don't, only exercise a false humility about how weak and helpless they are against the lust of the world, and have no part in their salvation, but only 'believe' they are saved, while continuing to read and hear the word without obeying it in all things.

The teachers that teach the doctrine of defeatism don't know the scriptures any more than their students. It is a case of the blind leading the blind. Unfortunately those doctrines of demons that teach the opposite of what Jesus did in taking away our sin and cleansing us from all unrighteousness had to twist scripture to justify their own sin and helplessness. They didn't know that we MUST be born again, and hadn't an inkling of how that is received, so they teach that our righteousness is not real, just imputed. "Imputed" is the key word. If any teacher teaches that word, get up and leave and don't come back. And don't just go to another congregation of the same denomination. That would be a waste of time.

Isaiah 26:3
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowing of Him and agreeing with Him is not knowing Him, which is only by obeying Him:

And we cannot obey Him until He is inside of us, abiding in us, and we abiding in Him. 1 John 3:24. The Jews obeyed God, but God was not inside of them. They kept the letter of the law, and had no way of keeping the Spirit of the law - through Christ.

but only when God put His fear in my heart, did I begin to take the Scripture seriously and obey Him inwardly to cast down and cast out all lust, imagination, and thoughts for sin.

Yes, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. And that fear, or awe, grows through our lifetime, and He who began a good work in us shall complete it.

A man after God's own heart. Well said.

Thank you, Robert. But I'm 1stCenturyLady. LOL

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Their grace affects them with celebration only.

They have no regard for grace helping to endure and overcome temptation at all times unto the end.

For them, that's not what God's grace is for, neither is His salvation and blood.

They only agree God is good, and celebrate the fact that they are unconditionally saved forever, while their bodies go on doing what mortal natural bodies do: Lust in the heart and sin bodily with the devil.

Strongs says of grace that it is "favor." Someone added "unmerited" and people who believe that definition stay unworthy. But the apostles taught that grace is the divine power of God. 2 Peter 1:2-4. Acts 4:33.

Romans 1: What is the gospel of grace? It is the power of God.

5 Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name, 6 among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;

7 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The teachers that teach the doctrine of defeatism don't know the scriptures any more than their students. It is a case of the blind leading the blind. Unfortunately those doctrines of demons that teach the opposite of what Jesus did in taking away our sin and cleansing us from all unrighteousness had to twist scripture to justify their own sin and helplessness. They didn't know that we MUST be born again, and hadn't an inkling of how that is received, so they teach that our righteousness is not real, just imputed. "Imputed" is the key word. If any teacher teaches that word, get up and leave and don't come back. And don't just go to another congregation of the same denomination. That would be a waste of time.

Isaiah 26:3
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
I like your style. Very refreshing to here authoritative teaching, rather than all the "I think' 'I feel" stuff, as though what we think and feel matters in comparison to Scripture.

doctrine of defeatism.

Good way to put it. Unconditional salvation by faith only is victory in the midst of defeat.

The think just agreeing with the gospel is enough, so that the devil snatches the word away immediately, there being no obedience to the faith, and then they learn OSAS which is akin to snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

just imputed. "Imputed" is the key word.

Exactly. I've been coming to the same conclusion, that Scriptural imputed righteousness is not just blanket screen thrown over sin. Sinners by faith now being 'seen' as righteous by God, because He can't 'see' their continued lust of the world in this souls.

Imputed righteousness of God is God putting His righteousness in us to have a right Spirit, whereby we do His righteousness as He is righteous, rather than continuing in sins and trespasses with a spirit of error and of the world.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

That would be a waste of time.

That's true. One thing is for sure, that I have never seen so much Scripture twisted or disregarded as I have here. I have never seen so much excuse making in order to justify oneself. And the deeper they go in it, the more mystical and surreal it gets like Mystery Babylon.

The good thing is learning doctrine of Christ more perfectly and fully by correcting it all.