What Is Prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jennylove

May 8, 2009
Do you define prayer as the time where you spend talking to God? That is the definition that I most often hear. If so, read on and give some thought to a different definition.I contend that prayer is a time of Communion with God. Communion is a two way thing. Yes, I say or ask things from God during prayer but don't forget to take the time to let Him speak back. If you haven't tried this before, do it and I guarantee that you will experience a revival within your soul like nothing you have ever felt before…

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True enough ---but, I would call that communing or Being still knowing that He is God or listening...rather then prayer.Imagine if we always talked to our significant other and never just rested to drink them in...lounging with them and feeling the contentment of their loving arms.No, don't imagine it.;)Miss HepburnAnything that reminds people to stop and listen and wait and be still is ok in my book.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I also add - the topic question is so deep - because there are many types of prayer found in the Bible -now I loaned out my book that explains all of them and where to find examples of them in the Bible ---but, some arePrayers of petitionPrayers of PraiseIntercessory prayerAnd 3 or 4 more...I guess I'll be asking for my book back... sorry.Miss Hepburn

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
2 types:"if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.Else when you bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupies the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understands not what you say?" (1 Cor. 14:14-16)"you, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God" (Jude 20-21)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Could you expound more on that? :)

Well the best scriptural example is Jesus praying in the Gethsemane, where He was adjusted to Father's will.
If it is necessary to deny self when following Christ then I think prayer must be conducive and work towards this same goal. Jesus prayed the same thing three times and through this process of prayer we see He was aligned to Father's will. The disciples didn't pray and they were not adjusted and aligned to Father's will and when the soldiers came to take Jesus they tried to prevent it but Jesus went willingly. This same alignment is evident in Paul when he went back to Jerusalem knowing he would be arrested and taken to Rome in chains. Some of Paul's well meaning companions tried to stop him but it was of no use Paul had already been aligned to Father's will.

Look at Father's invitation here in Isaiah.
Isa 1:18 "Come now, let us argue this out," says the LORD. "No matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can remove it. I can make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you as white as wool. NLT

“Come now, let us reason together,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. NIV

Come, I pray you, and we reason, saith Jehovah, If your sins are as scarlet, as snow they shall be white, If they are red as crimson, as wool they shall be! YLT

It is an amazing thing to be aligned with Father's will because this is where all things work together for a wonderful result. There are so many examples in the scriptures but we have to see them in this manner.

Shelli

Nov 13, 2007
You see why I asked now?

To get that out of you!!

Thanks,
:)

Oh. I see.

It is okay for you to "Get that out of you!" when you are dealing with someone else, but you are not willing to have me get an answer "Out of you!" when I ask you about something questionable you say. You, rather, retreat into the reasoning of, "I am accountable to God, and don't have to say anything to YOU!"

Apparently, you have a seperate set of rules for yourself. Thanks for demonstrating why "believers" have the reputation they do with the unsaved.

Have a nice time in your "powerful" faith.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Oh. I see.

It is okay for you to "Get that out of you!" when you are dealing with someone else, but you are not willing to have me get an answer "Out of you!" when I ask you about something questionable you say. You, rather, retreat into the reasoning of, "I am accountable to God, and don't have to say anything to YOU!"

Apparently, you have a seperate set of rules for yourself. Thanks for demonstrating why "believers" have the reputation they do with the unsaved.

Have a nice time in your "powerful" faith.

Let us all learn and take a lesson from Shelli's arrogance and nasty attitude that knowing the words is only half the answer
This is the same lesson we learned from the pharisees they had the words the laws down to an art ..but Christ condemned them

remember the words of Mathew

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

His/ her words maybe correct but they are given with venom and arrogance like the serpent .... Satan is a master at scripture he knows it so well he can quote it to Christ himself ..

So knowing the words of scriptures alone doesnt make one a Christian .... So I say to all watch Shelli
its exactly how Satan the deceiver will work quoting the scriptures pretending to be an angel of light ....

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

nomerhunks

Jul 6, 2011
Singapore
For me, praying is the way to communicate and talk to our God. To ask for forgiveness for all my sins I made and ask for His guide for my everyday life.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, praying is the way to communicate and talk to our God. To ask for forgiveness for all my sins I made and ask for His guide for my everyday life.

Good reply and a welcome to the board Mr Nomerhunks!

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
"Prayer is an aspiration of the heart," said St. Therese de Lisieux, "it is a simple glance directed to heaven, it is a cry of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as well as joy; finally, it is something great, supernatural, which expands my soul and unites me to Jesus."

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Prayer is a form of worship. It initiates communication between a loving Father and his child by way of faith in Jesus...but is not exclusive to believer's only. Prayer can be also initiated by non believers who have come to a place of needing a loving God to intervene on their circumstances. A God they hope exists because they have come to the end of themselves - as we all can do...