What is Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
What do we mean by Sin?Jesus summarised the commandments as “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” (Mt 22:37-40). So I suggest all sin is ultimately a failure of the first of these commandments, because failing in the second is failing to love as God wants us to, and therefore failing in the first. “Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight” (Psalm 51:4) So sin is a breakdown of that relationship of love with God, and with our neighbour. It does involve keeping God’s laws but this issue is not one of authority as some people think, but of love.“As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.” (Jn 15:9-10)Sin can be manifested in thought, word or deed. Jesus taught that when our thoughts and motives are contrary to God’s law we are just as guilty of sin as if we had acted. In word“You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire. (Mt 5:21,22)In thought“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Mt 5:27,28)Any other thoughts, definitions?

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(winsome;54439)
What do we mean by Sin?Jesus summarised the commandments as “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” (Mt 22:37-40). So I suggest all sin is ultimately a failure of the first of these commandments, because failing in the second is failing to love as God wants us to, and therefore failing in the first. “Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight” (Psalm 51:4) So sin is a breakdown of that relationship of love with God, and with our neighbour. It does involve keeping God’s laws but this issue is not one of authority as some people think, but of love.“As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.” (Jn 15:9-10)Sin can be manifested in thought, word or deed. Jesus taught that when our thoughts and motives are contrary to God’s law we are just as guilty of sin as if we had acted. In word“You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ‘You shall not murder’; and ‘whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire. (Mt 5:21,22)In thought“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Mt 5:27,28)Any other thoughts, definitions?
Sin = imperfection. If at any moment in the day, you are imperfect, you have sinned.Jesus said, "Be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."Praise the Lord, Jesus has done all the work for us, and made us perfect by His blood.

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(treeoflife;54442)
Sin = imperfection. If at any moment in the day, you are imperfect, you have sinned.Jesus said, "Be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."Praise the Lord, Jesus has done all the work for us, and made us perfect by His blood.
Then someone came to him and said, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19Honor your father and mother; also, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20The young man said to him, “I have kept all these; what do I still lack?” 21Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” (Mt 19:16-21)He kept all the commandments but Jesus said he was not perfect. So what sin had he committed not to be perfect.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(winsome;54443)
Then someone came to him and said, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19Honor your father and mother; also, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20The young man said to him, “I have kept all these; what do I still lack?” 21Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” (Mt 19:16-21)He kept all the commandments but Jesus said he was not perfect. So what sin had he committed not to be perfect.
The man said he kept all the commandments. Jesus never said it was true (that the man had actually kept all the commandments), and I do not believe the man was telling the truth. I believe the man was playing Jesus, trying to show him how righteous He was, and trying to trip Jesus up. The man walks away defeated, because he realizes he is guilty of being greedy, and loving his money more than people, which breaks God's commandments (the 10 commandments) on many levels. Jesus pointed out to the man that it was not true... he was not keeping God's commandments perfectly as he claimed to have done. As James said... break the law at any point, break it at all points.Any imperfection, is sin.
smile.gif

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(treeoflife;54442)
Praise the Lord, Jesus has done all the work for us, and made us perfect by His blood.
How did Jesus make us perfect by his blood?

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(winsome;54446)
How did Jesus make us perfect by his blood?
By God's Word of course.
smile.gif
Titus 3:5-7: Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.​

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(treeoflife;54445)
The man said he kept all the commandments. Jesus never said it was true (that the man had actually kept all the commandments), and I do not believe the man was telling the truth. I believe the man was playing Jesus, trying to show him how righteous He was, and trying to trip Jesus up. The man walks away defeated, because he realizes he is guilty of being greedy, and loving his money more than people, which breaks God's commandments (the 10 commandments) on many levels. Jesus pointed out to the man that it was not true... he was not keeping God's commandments perfectly as he claimed to have done. As James said... break the law at any point, break it at all points.Any imperfection, is sin.
smile.gif

I've been thinking about this. I don't think he was lying or testing Jesus. In another version of this story it says Jesus loved him. And Jesus said there is one thing you lack.However I agree that money was his problem. He loved money and thereby he wasn't loving God with all his heart, mind and soul.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Whatever is not of faith is sin.Adam and Eve sinned by believing the devil instead of God and wanted to be their own Gods instead of allowing God Himself to do the same for them.In other words, when man wants to go his own way as opposed to God's way is sin.

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(treeoflife;54447)
By God's Word of course.
smile.gif
Titus 3:5-7: Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.​
True, all our sins were forgiven by the regeneration of baptism. We don't stay perfect though, or at least I haven't
sad.gif

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(winsome;54449)
I've been thinking about this. I don't think he was lying or testing Jesus. In another version of this story it says Jesus loved him. And Jesus said there is one thing you lack.However I agree that money was his problem. He loved money and thereby he wasn't loving God with all his heart, mind and soul.
Amen. I agree. I don't have any doubt that Jesus loved the man. Jesus said the healthy people didn't need a doctor... but that He came for the sick. The man, like you said, was not loving God with all his heart, mind, and soul... I agree. This means he was loving something else (at least in part). This opens the door to all kinds of sin (of what, we don't know). This is something we are all guilty of... at least I know I am. I believe this could easily be iditory. But, I certainly don't believe the man was right when he said he had kept all the commandments. That was just him spouting off proudly that he thought he was doing pretty good... and when he went to Jesus expecting a cookie, he didn't get one (at least, not the kind of cookie he thought he wanted).
smile.gif
The point is, nobody can keep the commandments perfectly... everyone is in absolute need of Jesus, including the man who walked up to Jesus saying that he *claimed* to have kept all the commandments since his youth (honestly, since his youth?).