What is the Christian response to a pet's death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On that last post I was trying to establish the psition of humans. Now I did mention the Id and animals are completely governed by the Id, they have no real thoughts, jsut instincts so they don't even have the ego or the super-ego, not even the dolphins and chimps have them.

So if an animal exists solely with the id and doesn't ahv the higher capacity then I don't think it is possible for an animal to love. Dogs have loyalty because the respect their owners as leaders of the pack because that is where their food comes from. That's why they are loyal.

It is true that animals do not have a developed frontal lobe or cortex like people, but the ability to think is not a requirement for a spirit. St. Francis called animals and nature, brother and sisters. Also, the reason animals do not have an ego or superego is not because they are all Id - it is because they are fully integrated. They are what they were created to be without shame (no false self or ego needed); they do what they were created to do (no super ego to tell them what to do is required). We hide behind the mask of our false self (ego) like Adam and Eve hide from God - in fact, I think the coverings God created in the Garden to cover Adam and Eve was the ego. I believe animals are a good example of sainthood because they do what they were created to do - someday we will be able to devote all of our abilities and talents to the purpose we were created for, love.

As far as reasoning - animals are capable of working out simple problems and generalizing knowledge. For example, dogs have adopted the human ability of looking to humans with the expectation of learning - if they cannot find something or are unsure of where to go on went on a walk, they will look to their masters to find the answer. Also they follow simple directions - if you point out something with your finger, they will look to where your finger is pointing and investigate based on your direction. Chimps, our closest genetic link are incapable of doing either of these tasks. Scientists think that dogs have acquired this human ability from close contact with us over the centuries.

One more interesting observation; my dogs like to believe that my wife and I are cooking them our dinner every night, so when we are cooking they like to come into the kitchen and run through their repertoire of tricks and commands that we have taught them and sometimes they go into their crates to show us that they are ready to eat. I think think this behavior shows more than simply instinct,

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I have a Sheltie that is now 10 years old. His name is "Sodapop" (my daughter named him) and he is my very best friend.
When I am not at work, we are inseperable; playing in the yard, together on the couch, his head out the window when I am driving, hanging out at the dog park...

He is literally my very best friend and my heart breaks seeing the effects that age is starting to have on him.

Why am I saying all this? Because one of my deepest wishes is that this little guy will be with me in heaven.

But I must confess that when I read the scriptures that 'avoice' provided in his/her post, I find nothing that gives confirmation that our animals will be in heaven with us.

Is this post to refute 'avoice'? Absolutely not.

I am hoping that there is other scripture out that that supports what 'avoice' says and I hope...that my pet will be with me and my family in heaven.

My wife and I have had sheltis in our home for years. In our opinion they are fine companions. A little yappy at times, but good dogs nonetheless. We had a male once who would stand in the back seat and look out the window when we drove from Tampa to Atlanta. That's a trip of eight hours plus....and he stood there the whole time. Never sat down once.

The Bible offers no advice at all about the ultimate destination of the animals we have loved in life. The book is only about God's relationship with people, not dogs and cats, not fishes and not dinosaurs. Apparently people are the only ones that need saving.

So when someone asks me if their favorite pet is in heaven I tell them that the issue isn't whether their pet is in heaven, but whether or not they will make it.

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just some food for thought here to spice things up

Gen.7:
15 They went into the ark with Noah, two and two of all flesh in which there was the breath of life.

This breath of life is not just air its that very thing from Gods own mouth he breathed into Adam

in the Hebrew is called the Ruach its is invisible force of God, and may be manifested
in divers ways

Ruach
1) wind, breath, mind, spirit

Its the very same word rendered as Spirit in the trinity in fact its rendered Spirit 224 times

in whatever sense it is used, it always represents that which is invisible except by its manifestations.

These are seen both externally to man, as well as internally within man. As coming from God, it is the invisible origin of life

All apart from this is death. It comes from God, and returns to God (Ecc. 3:19, 20).

Now Im not implying that the lesser forms of life are the same as men but do not let us limit God if the same breath of life he put into us

he put into animals who are we to say they do not have a spirit hebrew call this the spark of God within all living things.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
it does sound a bit Pavlovian Aspen, sicne the dogs seem to be in a routine.

I have to admit I had not been think of St Fraancis and that is my bad, so I will make time to look into his teachings this week.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it does sound a bit Pavlovian Aspen, sicne the dogs seem to be in a routine.

I have to admit I had not been think of St Fraancis and that is my bad, so I will make time to look into his teachings this week.

I admit, it can be explained by behavior training; however they were able to generalize going to their crate to more than just a bedtime snack. It isn't much, but I thought it was pretty clever for an animal that has no concept of cause and effect.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I don't know what you mean by that. But, either way, those are just my thoughts.

-- WhiteKnuckle, I must confess I was rather put off by you finding it "insulting to think that animals go to heaven when they die" and then comparing it to thinking a tree would go to heaven if you chop it down or a weed would go to heaven if you kill it.

It gives me the impression that you likely have never had an animal touch your life in a special way.

I am simply baffled as to how someone would find it "insulting" that an animal - a dog, for example - who gives loving compationship, affectionate interaction, comfort though pain, sickness or loss, would somehow lessen the idea of heaven by being admitted in?

Unlike a tree or a weed, an animal such as a he has purpose, such as bringing happiness and companionship as a therapy dog to senior citizens and shut-ins. Some lay on the lap or the chest of someone who they sense is going to have a seizure to help warn them and calm them. They work as service dogs for the blind and are even "prescribed" by doctors for companionship for people who suffer from clinical depression.

They have shown a great capacity for love as well as unmatched loyalty and the ability (if you wish to call it that) to truly mourn for someone they lose.

They bring joy and purpose to children who are sick, hospitalized, or recovering from abuse. They are in many cases the only companionship to those who are alone, either through death of a loved one, neglect by their children, or divorce.

They protect police officers, help servicemen locate and avoid IEDs, and have even given their lives dying of cancer from searching the rubble for survivors of the World Trade Center collapse.

They have brought laughter to the most scarred of children, tears to the most hardened of men (myself included), and a sense of family to scores of childless couples.

My parents both live in a senior citizen center a few blocks from my home. My mother needs full assistance and my father, in the throws of Alzheimers, is unable to care for himself. It is a hard thing to have to basically re-introduce yourself to your father every time you visit.

But I bring my dog, my loving Sheltie, and my father responds when he sees him. Sodapop (My daughter named him. What are ya gonna do?) brightens him and makes him interact.

But more than that. Although he is not a therapy dog, he lifts the lives of the 30 or so other residents on my parent's wing. People nearly comatose in a wheelchair or sitting sadly in front of a TV or by a phone that never seems to ring LIGHT UP when he comes on the floor.

Everyone wants to pet him and give him treats and he bears up well under the "onslaught of love and affection."

I may not know much, but I can see how God uses that little guy to bring joy into lives of people that, in many cases, do not get it anywhere else.

While my best friend may not have the Divine Spark we hear so much about, I can indeed see a spark of Divinity in him.

I watched my (then) 6 year old daughter sleep on the kitchen floor right next to him the first night we brought him home as a puppy so he wouldn't be scared. And over the following decade watched him teach her about forgiveness, unconditional love, and the true meaning of companionship.

I have carried this dog in my arms when he has hurt a paw or gotten sick, spent many a day the vet's office, taken countless drives just to get him out of the house, let him have his head out the window even in the dead of winter, caved in to the look he gives me when he realizes we are going through the McDonald's drive-thru and sacrificed many a french fry, had him lay with his head on my chest as I have lay sick in bed, and spent hours just sitting together on the couch enjoying each other's company.

I have held long conversations with this dog (albeit rather one-sided) while on lengthy trips, and enjoyed the fact that he doesn't criticize my singing. I have kissed him on the cheek or head almost daily and, with total sincerity, told this little guy to his face that I love him.

It quite literally hurts to think that this guy would not be with me in heaven. I know that is silly because in heaven I will experience pure joy and feel no emptiness. So, even if he isn't there, I know I will have total joy.

But the imperfect me here on earth has difficulty understanding how I could possibly have that level of happiness without him being there at my side.

Silly, I know. Just indulge me.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post, Foreigner!

I feel the same way, but I used to not understand pets at all - I never grew up with them.

I was kind of like the adult who never had kids - the type that is annoyed when they have to endure normal kid behavior for 5 minutes.

I didn't understand dog behavior and could not predict it so I was uncomfortable around dogs.

Once I got my dogs and raised them from pups, I became a dog lover.

Sometimes you just have to experience some thing before you can understand it.

zoe2011

Jun 14, 2011
I named my username Zoe after my sister's guinea pig that died recently. You would have to have known her to understand, but if any pet is in heaven, I believe she would be. Unlike most guinea pigs, she would come up to you and let you pet her under her chin. She made no fuss if she was held and would gladly eat out of your hand. We joked that she was raised by a rabbit. We use to have this rabbit that would take care of her like she was a young rabbit, clean her and protect her.

I love animals and I know God does too. He created them.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
-- WhiteKnuckle, I must confess I was rather put off by you finding it "insulting to think that animals go to heaven when they die" and then comparing it to thinking a tree would go to heaven if you chop it down or a weed would go to heaven if you kill it.

It gives me the impression that you likely have never had an animal touch your life in a special way.

I am simply baffled as to how someone would find it "insulting" that an animal - a dog, for example - who gives loving compationship, affectionate interaction, comfort though pain, sickness or loss, would somehow lessen the idea of heaven by being admitted in?

Unlike a tree or a weed, an animal such as a he has purpose, such as bringing happiness and companionship as a therapy dog to senior citizens and shut-ins. Some lay on the lap or the chest of someone who they sense is going to have a seizure to help warn them and calm them. They work as service dogs for the blind and are even "prescribed" by doctors for companionship for people who suffer from clinical depression.

They have shown a great capacity for love as well as unmatched loyalty and the ability (if you wish to call it that) to truly mourn for someone they lose.

They bring joy and purpose to children who are sick, hospitalized, or recovering from abuse. They are in many cases the only companionship to those who are alone, either through death of a loved one, neglect by their children, or divorce.

They protect police officers, help servicemen locate and avoid IEDs, and have even given their lives dying of cancer from searching the rubble for survivors of the World Trade Center collapse.

They have brought laughter to the most scarred of children, tears to the most hardened of men (myself included), and a sense of family to scores of childless couples.

My parents both live in a senior citizen center a few blocks from my home. My mother needs full assistance and my father, in the throws of Alzheimers, is unable to care for himself. It is a hard thing to have to basically re-introduce yourself to your father every time you visit.

But I bring my dog, my loving Sheltie, and my father responds when he sees him. Sodapop (My daughter named him. What are ya gonna do?) brightens him and makes him interact.

But more than that. Although he is not a therapy dog, he lifts the lives of the 30 or so other residents on my parent's wing. People nearly comatose in a wheelchair or sitting sadly in front of a TV or by a phone that never seems to ring LIGHT UP when he comes on the floor.

Everyone wants to pet him and give him treats and he bears up well under the "onslaught of love and affection."

I may not know much, but I can see how God uses that little guy to bring joy into lives of people that, in many cases, do not get it anywhere else.

While my best friend may not have the Divine Spark we hear so much about, I can indeed see a spark of Divinity in him.

I watched my (then) 6 year old daughter sleep on the kitchen floor right next to him the first night we brought him home as a puppy so he wouldn't be scared. And over the following decade watched him teach her about forgiveness, unconditional love, and the true meaning of companionship.

I have carried this dog in my arms when he has hurt a paw or gotten sick, spent many a day the vet's office, taken countless drives just to get him out of the house, let him have his head out the window even in the dead of winter, caved in to the look he gives me when he realizes we are going through the McDonald's drive-thru and sacrificed many a french fry, had him lay with his head on my chest as I have lay sick in bed, and spent hours just sitting together on the couch enjoying each other's company.

I have held long conversations with this dog (albeit rather one-sided) while on lengthy trips, and enjoyed the fact that he doesn't criticize my singing. I have kissed him on the cheek or head almost daily and, with total sincerity, told this little guy to his face that I love him.

It quite literally hurts to think that this guy would not be with me in heaven. I know that is silly because in heaven I will experience pure joy and feel no emptiness. So, even if he isn't there, I know I will have total joy.

But the imperfect me here on earth has difficulty understanding how I could possibly have that level of happiness without him being there at my side.

Silly, I know. Just indulge me.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand people thinking that animals go to heaven.

I have 6 dogs and 1 tree frog. 1 of my dogs (the lion picture I posted in the fellowship forum) is actually a registered therapy dog. I do appreciate the affection from animals. My view has changed dramatically after the birth of my daughter though. My pets no longer mean as much to me as my kids.

In fact, I hate when my wife talks to the dogs and calls me the dogs daddy, or her the mommy.

The reason I guess I'm insulted is because, sinners are referred to as brute beasts with no understanding. It's hard to think that Jesus had to die for our sins yet this beast in my house goes to heaven just because he's a good friend to me. And, honestly (not to create a strawman) what about dogs that rip little kids faces off? Where do they go?

Trees should go to heaven I believe even more so. They provide oxygen to the world some for hundreds of years, they give their lives for us to have heat, and shelter, they even give their lives for us to have paper to write on, and not even to mention the table we use to mark the paper. Trees also filter polutants from the air and shelter other animals and give coolness in the heat of the day. Trees give us fruit.

But, as I said, I'm not being so argumentative here. I do believe in the possibility that our pets go to heaven. I just don't think they do.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
That's pretty much what I believe Whiteknuckle, more or less.

But how will you feel when your tree frog croaks?

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
When my beloved cat died just lately, I petted him as he laid in his litter box (cats do that when they are dying) and thanked him for his life with us as he was a stray cat that decided to live with us. I said that I will meet him again in the resurrection remembering Romans 8:20-22.

Animals originally created will be restored again. Any animal that sleeps and wakes again will be resurrected as sleep and wakefulness symbolizes death and resurrection. Of course "animals" used for decomposition such as insects will not be because they were created for that purpose once sin entered.

I tell this to children who lost beloved pets. We have to understand that creation mimics the spiritual world. We have God and the angels. Likewise we have man (gods) and the animals (angels). They are under us which is why death was brought to them as man, being so much higher than the angels in glorified state, is the likeness of God but fell under a mere angels' influence (who is lower than we are but was jealous).

Lucifer was originally given the throne of this earth. He sinned and failed by which God created Adam, in His likeness to take Lucifer's place and Adam was to be as God. Had Adam taken of that tree of life, that would have been the same as the incarnation. This is why Jesus is called the "last Adam" as Jesus did what Adam was supposed to have done.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
When my beloved cat died just lately, I petted him as he laid in his litter box (cats do that when they are dying) and thanked him for his life with us as he was a stray cat that decided to live with us. I said that I will meet him again in the resurrection remembering Romans 8:20-22.

Animals originally created will be restored again. Any animal that sleeps and wakes again will be resurrected as sleep and wakefulness symbolizes death and resurrection. Of course "animals" used for decomposition such as insects will not be because they were created for that purpose once sin entered.

I tell this to children who lost beloved pets. We have to understand that creation mimics the spiritual world. We have God and the angels. Likewise we have man (gods) and the animals (angels). They are under us which is why death was brought to them as man, being so much higher than the angels in glorified state, is the likeness of God but fell under a mere angels' influence (who is lower than we are but was jealous).

Lucifer was originally given the throne of this earth. He sinned and failed by which God created Adam, in His likeness to take Lucifer's place and Adam was to be as God. Had Adam taken of that tree of life, that would have been the same as the incarnation. This is why Jesus is called the "last Adam" as Jesus did what Adam was supposed to have done.

Your right about that I used to think animals were just little furry robots that had no souls. A few months ago my girl cat started acting up really defensive and hissing at the door this guy who obviously had some spiritual darkness came up and knocked on it. Nobody knew this man was walking uop and she seemed to sense it before then Not too sure what to make of it but it was more than just a natural defense mechanism.

Also nice avatar I love Lions.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I hope you are not making a Cross for anything but for who Christ came to save. pet's don't cut it at all as it has nothing to do with them at all.
They don't have a saviour.
Saint Frances is mainly miss understood with regard to animals by a lot of people.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I hope you are not making a Cross for anything but for who Christ came to save. pet's don't cut it at all as it has nothing to do with them at all.
They don't have a saviour.
Saint Frances is mainly miss understood with regard to animals by a lot of people.

Nope, my cat cemetery has simple cinder block or concrete markers just for the sole purpose of knowing where I buried them. this is important since we have farming out here and would not want to accidentally plow over them.