What is the "gospel?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dataylor

Jul 16, 2015
Kingman, AZ
www.christsreligion.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different. For example:

Matthew 4:23 Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matthew 9:35 Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matthew 10:5-7 These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:14-15 Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

These passages seem to indicate that Jesus defined His good news (gospel), as the soon coming Kingdom of God. And here is something else. In the NASB, Jesus uses the word "saved" eleven times; while He uses the word "salvation" only two times. However, Jesus uses the phrase "Kingdom of God" 48 times. So Jesus emphasized the God's Kingdom far more than He did salvation.

Question: So why don't most Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dataylor said:
Most of my life, I've heard the "gospel" described as "Jesus dying for our sins so we can be saved." Yet when I read the statements of Jesus in the Bible, they say something different. For example:

Matthew 4:23 Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

Matthew 9:35 Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

Matthew 10:5-7 These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:14-15 Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

These passages seem to indicate that Jesus defined His good news (gospel), as the soon coming Kingdom of God. And here is something else. In the NASB, Jesus uses the word "saved" eleven times; while He uses the word "salvation" only two times. However, Jesus uses the phrase "Kingdom of God" 48 times. So Jesus emphasized the God's Kingdom far more than He did salvation.

Question: So why don't most Christians use Jesus' definition of the gospel?

Gospel means good news so any good news is the gospel when related to God, salvation and the future. Only the saved will inherit the kingdom of God so it's all related.

dataylor

Jul 16, 2015
Kingman, AZ
www.christsreligion.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.

I agree that's it's all related. But that does not really answer my question.

Why don't most Christians use the definition of the Gospel that our Lord and Savior provided? After all, isn't it His gospel?

And why are we allowing mortal human beings to redefine the Gospel of God?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dataylor said:
Thanks for your reply.

Why don't most Christians use the definition of the Gospel that our Lord and Savior provided? After all, isn't it His gospel?

No one has redefined anything and Christians do preach the gospel of the kingdom. You have made accusations that aren't true and you haven't offered any evidence.

dataylor

Jul 16, 2015
Kingman, AZ
www.christsreligion.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting up to speed here :)

Let's start with this:

The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia summarizes the gospel message this way:
The central truth of the gospel is that God has provided a way of salvation for men through the gift of His son to the world. He suffered as a sacrifice for sin, overcame death, and now offers a share in His triumph to all who will accept it. The gospel is good news because it is a gift of God, not something that must be earned by penance or by self-improvement (Jn 3:16; Rom 5:8–11; II Cor 5:14–19; Tit 2:11–14).3
[Notice how there is not even one mention of the Kingdom of God]

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dataylor said:
The evidence I presented was my life experiences. Not sure how I can document those for you.

The definition you gave that you have experienced is valid and is the gospel of the kigdom. You simply misunderstand what the gospel of the kingdom is because you didn't recognize it.

So if you thought my experiences were invalid, then why did you post???

I posted because the entire premise of the thread was incorrect.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dataylor said:
Getting up to speed here :)

Let's start with this:

The Wycliffe Bible Encyclopedia summarizes the gospel message this way:
The central truth of the gospel is that God has provided a way of salvation for men through the gift of His son to the world. He suffered as a sacrifice for sin, overcame death, and now offers a share in His triumph to all who will accept it. The gospel is good news because it is a gift of God, not something that must be earned by penance or by self-improvement (Jn 3:16; Rom 5:8–11; II Cor 5:14–19; Tit 2:11–14).3
[Notice how there is not even one mention of the Kingdom of God]

It doesn't need those exact words to speak of the gospel of the kingdom. It's describing the kingdom and how we inherit it.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

That gospel was this: he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Short and simple but still true.

dataylor

Jul 16, 2015
Kingman, AZ
www.christsreligion.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words of Jesus Christ have absolutely no authority with most Christians. Instead, Christians prefer to believe what they hear at church.

God says "A," then people say "No, it's 'B'".

Thanks for demonstrating my point.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dataylor said:
The words of Jesus Christ have absolutely no authority with most Christians. Instead, Christians prefer to believe what they hear at church.

God says "A," then people say "No, it's 'B'".

Thanks for demonstrating my point.

You have an incorrect definition of the gospel and are judging the entirety of Christianity and you are the one in need of correction. Take care, I'm done with this thread.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
The Gospel of Salvation IS the Kingdom of God. It's also the Garden of Eden, Israel Remarried, possessing the Land, Mount Zion, New Jerusalem, Holy City etc etc. You don't hear those terms used often either, but they are right there in Holy Writ, so I post them all the time, because no one else does for some reason

(Col 1:13) Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
(Col 1:14) In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

(Luk 17:21) Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

(Luk 19:9) And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

(Mat 12:28) ...the kingdom of God is come unto you.

(Mar 12:34) And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God.

And no man after that durst ask him any question.

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dataylor said:
Thanks for your reply.

Jesus came with two purposes: to die to atone for the sins of the world and to present himself to Israel as their promised king. When the Wise Men came they were looking for the king of the Jews, not the savior of the world. The Jews rejected him as king and even had him put to death but in doing that they helped him to carry out his task of redeeming the world. Because they rejected him God temporarily rejected Israel and created a new body, the Church, through which he is now spreading the message of salvation to the whole world. That means that the good news we preach today is about salvation and not about the kingdom.

Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures.
(1 Corinthians 15:1-4 ESV)
The time is coming when the church will be removed through the Rapture and God will once again begin working through Israel. The gospel of the kingdom will once again be proclaimed and when Christ returns the Jews will finally acknowledge that he is there Messiah and God's kingdom will be established on earth.

Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,
“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
“and this will be my covenant with them
when I take away their sins.”
(Romans 11:25-27 ESV)