What is the Name above every name ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In John 17 we have clear statements concerning the Father giving Jesus His Name ("I have kept them in Your Name, the Name You gave me.")

Further to this the 'Name above every name' is JESUS. Not just on earth but on heaven as well.

Jesus simply means God Saves.

So this will ruffle a few feathers but I can only conclude that God Himself has raised the Name of Jesus higher than any other name He has.

Our messianic brothers in particularly want the claim YHWH is eternally the highest name.

So what is the Name above every Name - this is important as we need to be confident that we are appealing to the highest authority.

Supporting scriptures...

Eph 1
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church...

Phil 2
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

John 17
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Acts 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In John 17 we have clear statements concerning the Father giving Jesus His Name ("I have kept them in Your Name, the Name You gave me.")

Further to this the 'Name above every name' is JESUS. Not just on earth but on heaven as well.

So this will ruffle a few feathers but I can only conclude that God Himself has raised the Name of Jesus higher than any other name He has.

Our messianic brothers in particularly want the claim YHWH is eternally the highest name.

So what is the Name above every Name - this is important as we need to be confident that we are appealing to the highest authority.

Supporting scriptures...

Eph 1
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church...

Phil 2
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

John 17
11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

I certainly wouldn't argue with your Scriptural supports. However, the word "name" is used in peculiar fashion, indicating a title that in context is being bestowed upon creatures, and in this case, men. Men have been given to rule our planet, while God rules in heaven. But man's authority on earth is supported by heavenly authority, as well. As such, Jesus' name is established in heaven and on earth, and is a title of lordship over everything that is created, and not just on the earth.

The name for God is more of a description of who He is. "I am who I am." Or, "I am that I am." It means, I think, that God reveals the fact He exists to His creatures. We are to recognize Him. We are to have faith in His existence. We are to recognize His morality and law.

So God's name is an identifier, and Jesus' name is a title, indicating really the same thing as God's identifier. He reveals his authority over all creation. He reveals his Deity to all. And so, we should believe in him, in his morality and law, and in his lordship specifically over our lives and will.

I should add that I think that Jesus' name is not referring to his name as "Jesus," but rather, to his name as the Son of God. Again, it is a title.

Reactions: Nancy and Charlie24

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Supporting scriptures...

Eph 1

Phil 2

John 17

Christ is the Creator, and became the Saviour, and Mediator, how can His name not be exalted above all things?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
True. But it literally means GOD [IS] OUR SALVATION. That is Yah-shua or Yeho-shua or Joshua or Iesous or JESUS. That is the name that is above every name. Because Jesus Himself is Salvation, the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25,26).

Reactions: Carl Emerson

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly wouldn't argue with your Scriptural supports. However, the word "name" is used in peculiar fashion, indicating a title that in context is being bestowed upon creatures, and in this case, men. Men have been given to rule our planet, while God rules in heaven. But man's authority on earth is supported by heavenly authority, as well. As such, Jesus' name is established in heaven and on earth, and is a title of lordship over everything that is created, and not just on the earth.

The name for God is more of a description of who He is. "I am who I am." Or, "I am that I am." It means, I think, that God reveals the fact He exists to His creatures. We are to recognize Him. We are to have faith in His existence. We are to recognize His morality and law.

So God's name is an identifier, and Jesus' name is a title, indicating really the same thing as God's identifier. He reveals his authority over all creation. He reveals his Deity to all. And so, we should believe in him, in his morality and law, and in his lordship specifically over our lives and will.

I should add that I think that Jesus' name is not referring to his name as "Jesus," but rather, to his name as the Son of God. Again, it is a title.
But in Revelation it says he will be given a new name.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Supporting scriptures...

Eph 1

Phil 2

John 17

:Amen: Totally agree with your message. There is no-other name that is higher than Jesus Christ. A name above all names, bestowed upon him by his Father...

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But in Revelation it says he will be given a new name.

That's why his name is not a reference, strictly, to the name "Jesus." Many people have that name.

His "name" is what identifies him, and for him, it is a title of Deity, the form of Deity that brings salvation to mankind. He overrules all devils who would condemn us when we take refuge in him.

Reactions: RLT63

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a ponderance of how/why the Father, Yahweh, gave His Son Yeshua/Jesus who was/is the anointed one, a name above all other names. It must be because Yeshua is the glory of God, who was the very Word of God, and after resurrection was known as the only begotten Son.