What is the Role of a Pastor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the Role of a Pastor?​
In the church that I occasionally attend we are in a pastoral transition period. I thought it an excellent idea when the committee in charge of finding a replacement handed out a questionnaire on what we the congregation wanted or expected in the position of pastor. This led me to reflect on all the pastors I have known in my life and just what it was that made them, in my eyes, good or not-so-good at their job. I’ve also come to the realization that the Body of Christ, because of the way we have been taught for centuries, really has no relatable concept on the scriptural role of a pastor.

Interestingly enough, the word “pastor” is only used once in the NT and it is pluralized. Let’s take a look at the scriptures surrounding its use.

Eph. 4:7 – “But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.” Every single one of us has a gift given by God. Here is a list of some of these gifts as found in Eph. 4:11 – “And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;” and what is the purpose of these gifts we are ALL given: Eph. 4:12-13 – “For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:”

This is the true meaning of what the phrase “the Body of Christ” means. We are literally His physical extension on Earth to perform His will by reflecting His character to those inside and outside of the Body. We have allowed the devil to circumvent these efforts by the great scourge in the church world known as denominationalism. The whole of His Body needs to unify through our faith so that we reach the world as one in thought, deed and works. Instead, we paralyze ourselves and create confusion by concentrating on all the areas in which we are separate in our beliefs. So when a new Christian is born his spirit is immediately attacked by a barrage of questions the devil throws at him like, now what church will you attend? Which bible should you read? How does this church differ from the one down the road? Which one is the real church? The Baptists, Methodists, Congregationalists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventist, Pentecostals, Apostolics, Universalists? The list goes on.

Here’s a little history about how we got to where we find ourselves today. When the early church began there weren’t any “bible schools” as we know them today. The Holy Spirit is the one who gave these gifts to us for the aforementioned purpose and He still does today. For the first three hundred years or so there wasn’t an official hierarchy of leaders, there were just simple Christians exercising the gifts they were given by the Holy Spirit. When the Roman leader, Constantine, made it “acceptable” to be a Christian, it wasn’t long before some felt a hierarchy was needed and thus Catholicism arose and quickly plunged the world into what is now known as the Dark Ages, where the so-called Christian leaders led by greed, corruption, favoritism, and absolute authority over their charges. After a little over a millennium of this abuse of authority, God finally allowed His light to shine through again when teachers such as Martin Luther and others of his generation regained an understanding of faith and what it means to the church. Many were able to break free from this oppressive style of Christianity and formed the basics of what is now called Protestantism.

However, the devil is always at work to stifle the Body of Christ and it didn’t take long for a different kind of separatism to evolve which is denominationalism. With the rise of this new schism also came denominational bible schools where leaders were trained to think and act and focus on whatever doctrines the established leadership felt was more important than others. Thus over time, church leadership worldwide digressed into a different type of hierarchy. One that wasn’t spiritually or biblically based but power/leadership based which ended up circumventing the Holy Spirit and replacing His will with their own. Now this all may come across as me being against bible schools but that is not the case. Good bible schools emphasize what the scriptures have to say, not whatever denomination that backs them has to say. They can be important to help a Christian acquire some of the tools they need to be excellent Christian leaders such as, how to effectively study the bible and pray, administrative tools, how to express oneself, practice in public speaking, which many of us find nerve-wracking. They can also help to build one’s confidence and self-esteem, to find out if they are really called of God to the position they desire. Most of these could be done in a well-established church setting but the common thought today is if you haven’t gone to a bible school then you are unqualified to teach others beyond a Sunday School type of environment and to me, that is just plain wrong.

Now with that little bit of history behind us let’s move on to the topic at hand. What is the role of a pastor? The word “pastor” as used in Eph. 4:11 means to ‘shepherd”. A shepherd doesn’t control the sheep or make them march to the beat of the shepherd’s drum. Basically, a good shepherd allows the sheep to roam and graze where they want, at their own pace, while keeping an eye out for dangers from the outside. To use an analogy, a good shepherd might turn his sheep away from the cliffs of false doctrine and questionable theology. He looks for the “wolves in sheep’s clothing” who want to destroy the flock from within. He also watches out for those who want to “fleece” his flock out of greed or self-interest and those who prey on weak-willed women.

Another term that is used to describe what we consider to be the pastor’s role is the word “bishop”. We find this usage in 1 Tim. 3:1-7 followed by a description of the role of “deacons” in 1 Tim. 3:8-13. The common denominators are maturity in biblical and spiritual matters and the ability to “rule” one’s household in a Christ-like manner. We have, in most cases, relegated the role of ‘pastor” to a degree not meant in the bible. In my Christian life I have actually heard these phrases used: “It’s the pastor’s job to save souls, not mine.” It’s the pastor’s job to pray for the sick, not mine.” It’s the pastor’s job to control the church budget, not ours.” “The less we pay the pastor, the more we’ll have for God’s work.” “I love my pastor.” “I hate my pastor.” “My pastor is too controlling.” “We need a new pastor.”

What many local bodies of Christ fail to realize is that you have a calling from God, right where you’re at, whether you have a pastor or not. When searching for a pastor you want to find one that shares whatever mission your local body is passionate about but in too many cases the local body changes and fluctuates to whatever direction the pastor has; thus when you lose that pastor for whatever purpose, you lose your identity as a church body. You end up floundering along like sheep without a shepherd until a replacement arrives instead of promoting from within as it should be and was originally designed.

The word “bishop” means “overseer”. It does not mean, controller or general. We should look at the role of pastor as being similar to the role of elder brother or parent. In my opinion, their job should be to help the flock to grow to maturity in Christ, helping their congregants to find their spiritual gifts and offer opportunities for them to use their gifts in a church setting. Besides the gifts mentioned in Eph. 4:11 there are other gifts found in Rom. 12:3-16. As parents desire the maturity and growth of their children so should a pastor desire the same for those in his care. Church was never meant to be a 10% active participation with a 90% passive non-participation role. It’s meant to be a 100% active participation role for all members whether young or old, sick or healthy, utilizing all the gifts the Holy Spirit has given us.

I will follow this up with a shorter study on “What is the Role of the Congregation?”

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the overall tone of this piece is ok, but it is full of errors.

Interestingly, the word "congregation" is only used onve in the NT and it was a pretty putrid group. Acts 13:43. Look it up... Not good.

Historically the was a hierarchy in the early church and I am surprised to hear you say differently since you quoted the very verses that define it.

And Paul was quite the enforcer# 1 Cor and Gal... He wasn't playing around!

Deapite what you said, Pastors aren't merely "overseers". They are caretakers who keep order.

Now, I suspect the spirit of your writings is to bring folks into soiritual action instead of warming pew benches. I agree! But don't despise leadership!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is a hard one. depends on what sort of pastor you want. One whom is called by God or one that just decided it was a good vocation, one who is willing to say" no music no sermon lets pray and see what God has to say" or one who preaches what people want to hear. Of course than there is the problem as to wheter "you" want the truth and are willing to accept that things wont always go the way you want. or whether you just want to be told nice things in which case you may as well go to a movie cinema and be entertained which is for teh most part what church is all about.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi FHII, your words: "Historically there was a hierarchy in the early church and I am surprised to hear you say differently since you quoted the very verses that define it."

If you're speaking of Eph. 4:11, it's not a hierarchy, it's just a list, the order is meaningless, just as it is with the rest of the spiritual gifts in Rom. 12 and 1 Cor. 12. Yes, Paul was an enforcer but he was also an acting apostle, not a pastor. The word congregation is also irrelevant in its historical position. You know I simply meant "people that congregate together". There are many kinds of pastors and they are not always the best ones to "keep order". Someone with the gift of administrations or government might be better in that role.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The last thing I want in a church is a pastor who is brought in from outside and who is paid a salary as none of these things are found in scripture.

What we do find in scripture in Timothy and Titus is a plurality of Elders who were chosen from within the fellowship who had already proved themselves worthy of the leadership responsibilities of an Elder. There is no mention of a "senior elder" or one who is paid a salary. Their ministry was to oversee, preach, shepherd and correct.

One of the qualities required was that they managed their household well which meant they were men and they had already proved themselves in leadership in the home. Too often our paid pastors have wayward children which bars them from leadership but for too many denominations, dotting the I's and crossing the T's is more important than character and integrity.

Waikeria

Jun 29, 2016
[SIZE=medium]I have a prophetic calling on my life. Everyone here should know what their calling is. And if you don't, then ASK GOD. It's a sin to not know what your calling is. And, it's a calling -- not a title! So if you're going to call him "Pastor John," then, to be consistent, you'd better also call me "Prophet Richard."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Why do people allow themselves into a position where they are beholden to some man? Today, mainstream evangelical Christianity is in free-fall. Folks think that affiliating with some denomination is all they need. "Junior Pastor Bill," "Associate Pastor Ed," "Senior Pastor Frank," ad nauseum[/SIZE]. Some have coined this phenomenon the [SIZE=medium]Superstar Syndrome[/SIZE][SIZE=medium], where the pastoral role gets exalted, thrusted out to the stratosphere, while most of the flock has never even met their deacons, elders, prophets, intercessors, etc. So when "the Pastor" takes a hit (adultery, or whatever; we each take a hit sooner or later), then the whole flock comes under that condemnation and suffers for it -- instead of another from the flock, equally qualified, rising up to fill that void, if only temporarily.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The Superstar Syndrome has resulted in a lot of damage to the body of Christ, and it is inviting to those who appropriate the talismanic label of Christian but who are not born again in Jesus Christ. The denom's are full of fakirs.

YOU are the elders -- not yesterday's old newspaper to be discarded. YOU sit at the gate, addressing the issues of a younger generation who seek out your many years of accumulated experience. They DESIRE to learn your knowledge and are GRATEFUL for your wisdom and guidance, and their lives are ENRICHED through your counsel.

Know that the so-called Church is not representative of the body of Christ. The body of Christ is not made with hands.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What to do? Report the pastor to the same "religious" authority who birthed the Superstar Syndrome in the first instance? Scripture tells us that these religious types sought to kill Jesus because they were afraid of losing both their place and their nation (i.e. their status and their stuff). Nothing has changed since.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So entreat him to live up to his biblical OBLIGATIONS as a congregational leader. Prepare a paper with a LOT[/SIZE] of scripture to outline what those responsibilities are.
[SIZE=medium]That's a start. Forget the "paper" but do bring lots of scripture.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The Lord made it known to me that the reason why this Superstar Syndrome, this tendency to give the pastoral role preeminence, has been allowed to raise its ugly head is this: Because the shepherd is the sheep's favourite.[/SIZE]

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is an example of when you put all your begs in one askit. ( a play on eggs in one basket). I moved to the town I live in now 15 years ago to teach in a Christian School. I wasn't sure about church so I went to the one that the Chairman of the Board was the leader of. I enjoyed his ministry as he had a Ph. D. in theology so his sermons were solid meat. We shared meals together in our homes regularly to have meaningful discussions.

He left and was replaced by his deputy who said soon after taking over, "You can do things my way or leave." 50% left as he had no training or qualifications and he seemed to be only interested in his ministry, not anyone else's.

About four years later the Elders called in the State leaders to have him sacked which they did.

He was replaced by a man who was in his thirties who had been the youth pastor. That was a mistake as the New Testament Church built itself on the Judaic code which says a man cannot be an Elder until he is at least 40 years old.

When we first went to the church there were about 130 people attending. Now they have about 30. Amazingly no one is asking why this is the case. Some of the oldies have died off but mainly people have just left, bored out of their brains. Apparently it has a lively youth ministry on Wednesday night but none of them come on Sunday morning. I gather Wednesday night is mostly entertainment.

I went their a few Sunday's ago and to be blunt the sermon was crap. it was a mish mash of bright ideas but devoid of substance.

It is a classic example of if you do the same thing every week and expect a different outcome you are ********* and flogging a dead horse doesn't make it go any faster. Better they wrap the whole thing up, start again with prayer to find out the will of God and go from there. I guess that is too radical to let God set the agenda.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Trekson said:
Hi FHII, your words: "Historically there was a hierarchy in the early church and I am surprised to hear you say differently since you quoted the very verses that define it."

If you're speaking of Eph. 4:11, it's not a hierarchy, it's just a list, the order is meaningless, just as it is with the rest of the spiritual gifts in Rom. 12 and 1 Cor. 12. Yes, Paul was an enforcer but he was also an acting apostle, not a pastor. The word congregation is also irrelevant in its historical position. You know I simply meant "people that congregate together". There are many kinds of pastors and they are not always the best ones to "keep order". Someone with the gift of administrations or government might be better in that role.
You are right Trekson. Ephesians 4:11 were gifts not positions. The church has turned them into positions devised by denominations. In one start up church I was responsible for we did not appoint anyone to anything. We let people evolve into ministries as God had anointed them. One man stood out as a shepherd so we let him get on with it as it was obviously his calling. Another was gifted with administration so we let him take over than side of things. This allowed me to concentrate on my ministry which was teaching. My wife assumed responsibility for the prayer life of the fellowship as she had already been involved in the leadership of prayer ministries.

I could have done the lot as many pastors are expected to do but allowing God to appoint and anoint meant that was unnecessary. If I had done the lot it would have been done very badly.