What is true love?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The cross is the glory of God because in the crucified Jesus the power and wisdom of God -which is true love, is revealed (1Corrinthians 1:23-25). His sacrifice on the cross revealed his unconditional love; because, although we betrayed him and were unfaithful to him he sacrificed his life in order to compensate for the offenses we committed against him. This love is the only truth which sets apart good from evil. Those who are true followers of Jesus exercise this love

sashka

Jan 25, 2012
Amen. We must try our best to fulfill all of Jesus' commandments to us. Most important being,"Love thy neighbor as you love thyself". That inculdes your enemies. If we don't try to do what Christ taught us; we do not love him and we are not true followers.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
The cross is the glory of God because in the crucified Jesus the power and wisdom of God -which is true love, is revealed (1Corrinthians 1:23-25). His sacrifice on the cross revealed his unconditional love; because, although we betrayed him and were unfaithful to him he sacrificed his life in order to compensate for the offenses we committed against him. This love is the only truth which sets apart good from evil. Those who are true followers of Jesus exercise this love
Greek words for love...1. AGAPE / uncondtional, true love 2. EROS / passionate, sensual 3. PHILIA / friendship 4. STORGE / natural affection, a parent's love for child

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
Proverbs 6:16
16 There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.

I'm curious: are these people my neighbours too?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True love is perfect love. It is only possible when we experience God's love and reflect it back to God and neighbor through service.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland

I certainly do not mean to start problems or "split hairs", but these are actions taken because of love. What love is...still isnt answered. What is true love? What is the thing that drives the actions referred to in this post? Actions are not love, love drives actions? What is love?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is love. 1 John 1:8

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's love has an element of sacrifice** which involves both intention and action and is an integral part of His nature.
God, in ages past, seeing, due to Adam's disobedience,that it would require the Sacrifice of His Son, could, instead of Sacrifice, had just let man completely perish (after all, who needs to die when One can easily start anew?). He would have been completely just in doing so as was shown in the fall of Lucifer. Yet, He chose to die in our stead, the Just for the unjust and ungrateful. What love!

** Even the Pharisees 'loved' (agape) the praises of men and the 'up front' seats. That is, they would go to sacrificial lengths to receive the applaud of man.
(Jn 12:43) (Lu 11:43)

LoveJesus777

Jan 30, 2012
I certainly do not mean to start problems or "split hairs", but these are actions taken because of love. What love is...still isnt answered. What is true love? What is the thing that drives the actions referred to in this post? Actions are not love, love drives actions? What is love?

Hello SecondhandLion :) Jesus showed me what True Love is... Unconditional Love..

He accepts and loves us as we are....He does not tell us we have to do anything to accept His love..come as you are...unconditional love.

He put His love in my heart..and a wonderful joy and peace.He is Love Personified.

Here are some verses that describe LOVE.

1 Corinthians 13

New International Version (NIV)

1 Corinthians 13

[sup]1[/sup] If I speak in the tongues[sup][a][/sup] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. [sup]2[/sup] If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. [sup]3[/sup] If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[sup][b][/sup] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
[sup]4[/sup] Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. [sup]5[/sup] It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. [sup]6[/sup] Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. [sup]7[/sup] It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<p>[quote name=&#39;justaname&#39; timestamp=&#39;1328392951&#39; post=&#39;142739&#39;]<br />
God is love. 1 John 1:8<br />
[/quote]</p>
<p>oops I ment to post 1 John 4:8 </p>
<p>This is a response to Secondhand Lion. God is love.[quote name=&#39;ttruscott&#39; timestamp=&#39;1328384930&#39; post=&#39;142716&#39;] Proverbs 6:16 16 There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: 17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, 18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, 19 a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers. I&#39;m curious: are these people my neighbours too? [/quote]</p>
<p>Yes. </p>
<p>Luke 6:31-33</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 27.0px; text-indent: -27.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica">Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. </p>
<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 27.0px; text-indent: -27.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica">32<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>“If you love those who love you, what credit is <i>that </i>to you? For even sinners love those who love them. </p>
<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 27.0px; text-indent: -27.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica">33<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>“If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is <i>that </i>to you? For even sinners do the same. </p>
<div> </div>
Grrr

God is love. 1 John 1:8
This should be 1 John 4:8 in reply to Secondhand Lion
Proverbs 6:16
16 There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.

I'm curious: are these people my neighbours too?
Yes.
Luke 6:31-33

Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.
32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
33 “If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.

paul1234

Jan 20, 2011
england

AMEN