What Is Your Hebrew Name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So tonight not that long ago I decided to look up my name in Hebrew which in English my name is Alison, I was wondering what my name would be and what it would mean in Hebrew, mainly because I was feeling bored and I was just curious to know. So I decided to do some research on Google and my name in Hebrew is Yisraela dervived from the name Israela which apparently means to "Wrestle With God" . I also discovered that my Hebrew name is the female version of the name that God gave to Jacob which is Yisrael or Israel which means to "Strive With God" . In The Bible it says that Jacob wrestled with God which he did not realise in the beginning because Jacob demanded a blessing, in the end the Lord dislocated Jacobs hip and then Jacob says "I will not let you go until you give me a blessing." which his response pleased the Lord. Which is when God gave Jacob the name Yisrael (Israel). The term Wrestle With God doesn't literally mean to fight with him but to seek him in prayer and ask for blessings. What I have learned from this is that not only what my name is in Hebrew & what it means but as a Child of God to Wrestle With God is not actually to fight with him but to seek him with our hearts through prayer, don't be afraid to Wrestle With God because that's what he wants from you, he wants you to wrestle with him because he loves you and wants to give you what your heart desires. God wants us to fight for our blessings because in his eyes we are worth it. May God have mercy on all of you, give you peace and fill your hearts with love & joy. God bless ☺️

Reactions: FHII

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So tonight not that long ago I decided to look up my name in Hebrew which in English my name is Alison, I was wondering what my name would be and what it would mean in Hebrew, mainly because I was feeling bored and I was just curious to know. So I decided to do some research on Google and my name in Hebrew is Yisraela dervived from the name Israela which apparently means to "Wrestle With God" . I also discovered that my Hebrew name is the female version of the name that God gave to Jacob which is Yisrael or Israel which means to "Strive With God" . In The Bible it says that Jacob wrestled with God which he did not realise in the beginning because Jacob demanded a blessing, in the end the Lord dislocated Jacobs hip and then Jacob says "I will not let you go until you give me a blessing." which his response pleased the Lord. Which is when God gave Jacob the name Yisrael (Israel). The term Wrestle With God doesn't literally mean to fight with him but to seek him in prayer and ask for blessings. What I have learned from this is that not only what my name is in Hebrew & what it means but as a Child of God to Wrestle With God is not actually to fight with him but to seek him with our hearts through prayer, don't be afraid to Wrestle With God because that's what he wants from you, he wants you to wrestle with him because he loves you and wants to give you what your heart desires. God wants us to fight for our blessings because in his eyes we are worth it. May God have mercy on all of you, give you peace and fill your hearts with love & joy. God bless ☺️

Welcome.

I believe also that our names have meaning to God. And even though our parents may not have known why they gave us the name they did, they did, because God was so directing. Because it has meaning to Him. And He knows you.

So much does He know you that He has a new name for you, that no other knows and no other has. You are the only one with the name He has for you. (Rev. 2:17) "...To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it."

Personal salvation and relationship with Jesus Christ.

Stranger

Reactions: pompadour

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My parents named me Joshua and in Hebrew it's Yehoshu'a or Yeshua יְהוֹשֻׁעַ‬ and it means "The Lord is Salvation."

Jesus's name is also Yeshua in Hebrew, and He is the Lord Jesus Christ who lives in me.

Hallelujah! :D

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus is Latin for "love God", while my real given name, John, means "Jehovah is a gracious giver"

Reactions: Helen