what is your hobby what do you do that is christian fun

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably helps to balance things out in your system.

/

The belief is that it digests better, similar to the sourdough phenomenon.

Most fermented food products contain acetic acid, which is injurious to the stomach lining, the consequences of which are rarely seen acutely. Most of what ails folks is chronic, generative (slow) disease. And I'm gonna stop myself right there before I spontaneously combust from food nerd-ism. :stageright:

Not sure if hominy is considered fermented or not.

It's more likely that I'm losing your interest at this point. :no reply:

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could make you some gravy you'd never know was good for you.
Recipe, please. Thanks.

Funny, I like biscuits, I really do, but for some strange reason, I've always preferred my gravy on toast.
That's good too, but it's not the Southern traditional way.
Biscuits and gravy are more common in breakfast buffets up north now.
The biscuits HAVE to be fresh. Otherwise... not so good.

/

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of the day I work, but squeeze in something fun to do. Work, projects, never ending. Sleep 4-5 hours.

Ouch!

Try to get more sleep.

Or even just sleep the same amount but go to bed earlier.

Just concerned for your health. :Broadly:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recipe, please. Thanks.

For a specific recipe, I'd have to get back to you on that because I don't have one. It's one of those things I just do.

Let's see what I can ramble on about with regard to this.

One important thing is to get flavor into your flour. I use a little Canola oil to brown it. My grandmother did this with bacon fat, which I can't recommend.

It is considered an art form in the South to brown your flower as much as possible without burning it.

You can do whatever else you like to flavor it, but you're basically looking for four essential flavor characteristics:

Fat, creaminess, blood (eww), and salt.

I've already mentioned Canola oil which gives a nice balance of low saturated, and adequate poly- and mono-unsaturated fats. The scare that came from dangerous elements found in rapeseed has been successfully bred out.

For creaminess, I use either soy or almond milk. I prefer almond milk because it's easier to find unsweetened, but I usually end up with soy.

I use flour-browning and some kind of smoke flavoring for the "blood" such as Bac-Os, Liquid Smoke, or smoked paprika.

Ignore the designer salt craze. Trace minerals found in Himalayan and Celtic varieties don't keep sodium chloride from leeching off minerals from your body or raising your blood pressure and you need the iodide from the cheap stuff to keep your thyroid function up unless you feel like gulping down some seaweed powder or some such nonsense. The less salt you customarily eat the less you'll need, obviously.

This process requires pretty much non-stop, endless stirring.

So I start off with a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet, bring it up to medium heat, and add a couple of tablespoons of flour. I use whole-wheat pastry flour and strain the heavier fiber out while adding to the oil.

Once the flour starts to smell ever so slightly bitter I add the milk, about 2 cups, I guess, and the other stuff.

Then I bring it to a simmer and add salt, but if you want to wait until the end that's okay, too.

I'm usually in a hurry to eat the stuff so I don't bother simmering until the gluey texture (from undercooked flour) folks hate disappears. Salting early helps this situation.

You'll just have to adjust the proportions of ingredients unless you want to wait until I can try making the stuff with a makeshift recipe. :)

• Love

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recipe, please. Thanks.

Now that I think about it, I've actually made a very nice and very similar oil-free sauce with nothing but water, roasted cashews, and salt in a blender. My old Ninja blender actually had steep enough clearance angles on the thick blades that it would actually heat and thicken the stuff up while blending!

• Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now that I think about it, I've actually made a very nice and very similar oil-free sauce with nothing but water, roasted cashews, and salt in a blender. My old Ninja blender actually had steep enough clearance angles on the thick blades that it would actually heat and thicken the stuff up while blending!

If you were lazy you could just nuke some peanut butter. - LOL
(in the microwave)

/

• Haha

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ouch!

Try to get more sleep.

Or even just sleep the same amount but go to bed earlier.

Just concerned for your health. :Broadly:

Thank you for your concern. Have only slept short hours for years. Don’t “have” a Doctor, don’t go to Doctors, (well did a few years ago for some stitches in a finger that was severed and swelled, failing the duct tape.) Don’t take meds, or any drugs, don’t get sick. Oh and don’t watch TV.
God Bless,
Taken

• Love

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's just Italiano for "grits" or something.

81faEiXy+YL._SL1500_.jpg

It often comes pre-cooked in a roll like breakfast sausage.

Could you be thinking of orzo or couscous?

To the Italians it is Polenta that is made in a big pan and served with sauce( spaghetti) and often sausages.

To the south of the Mason Dixon line It is made just like Polenta with sauce, but poured in a loaf pan , heated briefly in the oven to dry it and then refrigerated....

Next day it is turned out from the pan and sliced and fried... and is called fried mush... served with butter and syrup.

I simply do a short cut to the fried mush and when it is in the bow waiting for sauce I add my butter and syrup
instead... Yummy!

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My hobbies include PC gaming with games such as ARK: Survival Evolved/Ascended, Fortnite now and then with my kids, Call of Duty, and some strategy games. I also keep reptiles and arachnids. I will watch sports when my teams are in the playoffs and a rare chance that I get to see them on TV. I used to do a lot of fishing, but haven't done that in a while.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was the fishing done in the ocean. or inland? Or both?
If ocean, Atlantic or Gulf?

/

When I was younger, in the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia for catfish, cricks around Philly for trout or up in the Poconos in a lake for bass or pickerel. I also used to do alot of bluefishing or fluke fishing with some wreck fishing off the Jersey Coast.

When I moved to Florida I started fishing at Sebastian Inlet off the fishing pier there. My step-dad took me on a 72 hour fishing trip once off the Dry Tortugas.