What year did David become king of Judah? Please, give reasons for your answer.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jimak

Jan 14, 2024
Norcross
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What year did David become king of Judah? I am seeking a certain year, not an approximate year. Please, give reasons for your answer.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What year did David become king of Judah? I am seeking a certain year, not an approximate year. Please, give reasons for your answer.

From my study of the chronology of the Old Testament I have drawn these conclusions.

Adam was created in the year 4,100 BC.
King David was born in the first year of the fourth age of man's existence in the year 1,027 BC.
King David became king over Judah when he was 30 years old in the year 997 BC.

Please note that a 6 year difference, between what is found in the Every Man’s Bible, and my calculations is reasonable conformation that both figures are within the ballpark of when King David became king over Judah.

Shalom

Jimak

Jan 14, 2024
Norcross
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my study of the chronology of the Old Testament I have drawn these conclusions.

Adam was created in the year 4,100 BC.
King David was born in the first year of the fourth age of man's existence in the year 1,027 BC.
King David became king over Judah when he was 30 years old in the year 997 BC.

Please note that a 6 year difference, between what is found in the Every Man’s Bible, and my calculations is reasonable conformation that both figures are within the ballpark of when King David became king over Judah.

Shalom
Much appreciated Jay.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
According to my research, after King Saul died after being wounded in battle along with his son Jonathan, then, at the city of Hebron, the men of Judah came to anoint David as king over the house of Judah, in 1077 B.C.E. (Josh 21:9-12; 2 Sam 1:1 to 2:4) After some time the other tribes came to King David at Hebron and entered into a covenant with him before Jehovah and anoint David as king over Israel.

“Thirty years old was David when he became king. For forty years he ruled as king. In Hebron he ruled as king over Judah for seven years and six months; and in [Benjaminite] Jerusalem he ruled as king for thirty-three years over all Israel and Judah.”
Jerusalem at this time (1070 B.C.E.) remained a Jebusite stronghold. (2 Sam 5:1-5)

Reactions: TheHC