What's a good childhood memory?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please share a good memory from your childhood. It can be anything good:

A type of candy they don't sell anymore...

Your parents saying something good about you...

Certain smells in the kitchen...

Milestones. Times you felt God calling you.

I'll go first.

My great grandmother's place felt awesome to me but I never understood why. I had seen all the vhs tapes I liked in her movie collection. It was extremely quiet there and often very hot.

But when she was able, she made us great food, apple sauce from the apples in her yard, and I always felt welcome. Hospitality and love made her home a special place. And it gives me peace because I am not the most exciting person but I think my little sister in law hangs out with me for similar reasons.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certain smells in the kitchen...
Smells are a memory trigger.

Mom baking chocolate chip cookies!

The musty smell of my grandmother's basement. (Water would sometimes seep in when it rained really hard.)

And thinking about that old house in Kansas made me remember the smell of the fish Grandpa helped me pull out of a lake. The only time I ever caught anything. And one of the few memories I have of Grandpa.

The smell of hay (and probably manure) at my great uncle's farm.

Why am I getting Kansas memories now?

:)

Epilogue: That's the great thing about the human mind - it can turn the smell of a dead fish and manure into a happy memory.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Vacation at G-ma’s and G-pa’s house on the lake. Four kids, would get a nickel each day. All kids walk half mile to store. Buy 4 Bazooka bubble gum. Save the extra penny, for later to buy 4 gums, without asking for money. Have bubble blowing contests. Simple fun for poor kids, and funny my G-ma would say my mom “spoiled us”… by giving us a nickel each day. Lol.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Smells are a memory trigger.

Mom baking chocolate chip cookies!

The musty smell of my grandmother's basement. (Water would sometimes seep in when it rained really hard.)

And thinking about that old house in Kansas made me remember the smell of the fish Grandpa helped me pull out of a lake. The only time I ever caught anything. And one of the few memories I have of Grandpa.

The smell of hay (and probably manure) at my great uncle's farm.

Why am I getting Kansas memories now?

:)

Epilogue: That's the great thing about the human mind - it can turn the smell of a dead fish and manure in to a happy memory.
Wow! I'm getting Clark Kent feelings from this. Maybe Lambano is actually Superman!!

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were so poor growing up, I would start scavenging for pop bottles in anticipation of having some money to go to the annual school carnival and buy tickets for the “cake walk” event, and play that game until I won a cake to bring home to my mother. Yum, yum a dessert after supper!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were so poor growing up, I would start scavenging for pop bottles in anticipation of having some money to go to the annual school carnival and buy tickets for the “cake walk” event, and play that game until I won a cake to bring home to my mother. Yum, yum a dessert after supper!
What was the cake walk like?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A type of candy they don't sell anymore...
In the summer, when I got my allowance, my friends and I would go down to the local T, G, & Y (a chain that's been out of business for 40 years) and blow it all on baseball cards. You always hoped you'd get the pack with the Willie Mays or Hank Aaron or Ernie Banks, but you never did. (But I did get a Brooks Robinson and a Harmon Killebrew!) The packs came with a stick of this horrid pink bubble gum that was like sugar-coated cardboard. If they no longer make that "candy", good riddance to it.

Now, next door at the Rexall (a pharmacy chain that's also long out of business), you could buy these lemon sour rolls that were pretty good.

Do they still make Lifesavers candy?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the summer, when I got my allowance, my friends and I would go down to the local T, G, & Y (a chain that's been out of business for 40 years) and blow it all on baseball cards. You always hoped you'd get the pack with the Willie Mays or Hank Aaron or Ernie Banks, but you never did. (But I did get a Brooks Robinson and a Harmon Killebrew!) The packs came with a stick of this horrid pink bubble gum that was like sugar-coated cardboard. If they no longer make that "candy", good riddance to it.

Now, next door at the Rexall (a pharmacy chain that's also long out of business), you could buy these lemon sour rolls that were pretty good.

Do they still make Lifesavers candy?
They still make lifesavers candy.

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My father lived in Oklahoma but my older [by 18 months] brother and I lived in California with my mother from the time we were toddlers. My grandfather died in 1950 at age 65 but his wife lived for many years after that. Being born in 1943 I have few memories of that grandfather, due to distance and his early death. One of the best ones was at the end of one summer's visit with my father in Oklahoma.

When it was time to return to California, my father's parents were elected to make the trip with us via Greyhound bus a very common mode of transportation at that time. The buses would stop periodically for meals as well as to fill the gas tank.

At the end of one of those stops my brother and I decided to play a really fun game. We crawled underneath the bus moving steadily out of the reach of our grandfather and the bus driver. We laughed as we continued this form of hide and seek for quite a while, we being the hiders and they being the seekers. The undercarriage of the bus was high enough off the ground for us to crawl, but the driver and our grandfather could only lie on the ground next to the bus reaching under it trying to catch us. Only when we tired of the game did we relent and crawl out to receive our waiting punishment.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember one Christmas when I was 4 years old. I just remember how happy my brother and sister were. I didn't really notice my presents but was so happy to be part of the family. It is my most favorite memory.

I also have memories of fishing with my grandpa, he took the place of my real grandpa that died in WW2. It was great times and he would cook us BBQ'd salmon. Grandma was the best cook too. She would make us Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners that were to die for.

Mom was a super cook as well, and when we were sick she would make chicken noodles soup all from scratch including the noodles. I also loved her Asian salads, they were so good.

Dad coached our childrens soccer team and I made a lot of friends which was nice and had many good times. They would serve us oranges at half time to keep our endurance up.

My other grandma would also have us over for Christmas and Thanksgiving. Wonderful memories with family.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The two other great childhood memories I have are of Joey and Lars. Joey's mom would make us nachos to play nacho brickout on the Atari. And Lars' mom would make us chocolate covered toast. Had a lot of fun with those two.