When a church becomes too large...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hang with me there...

Christ refers to himself as the bridegroom...

He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom (referring to John the Baptist), which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. - John 3:29

And Christ will merry seven wives...

1. Ephesus – Apostolic – Leaving the first love… “All they which are in Asia be turned away from me…” – II Tm 1:15
2. Smyrna – Martyrs – Persecutions ten days… Foxes Book of Martyrs describes ten Roman persecutions.
3. Pergamos – Orthodox – A pyrgos is a fortified structure – Needed for the dark ages.
4. Thyatira – Catholic – The Spirit of Jezebel is to persecute, control, and to dominate. This spirit can invade any church!
5. Sardis – Protestant – A sardius is a gem, elegant yet hard and rigid. Doctrine in the head, little in the heart.
6. Philadelphia – Methodist – To obtain sanctification was to do so with love.
7. Laodicea – Charismatic – Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

So I liken the Catholic church to a 'she.' And Jezebel also as a 'she.' The Catholic church in her time was very much a 'she.' You would not have wanted to have spoken out against 'her' in her glory days! There were great institutions set up in those days to get the heretics against 'her' to recant!

As far as the Catholic church, I believe that it is a Christian church and its members are saved. I also believe that for the most part, the old spirit of Jezebel has thankfully left the scene. I refer to Jezebel as a spirit that set in with the dark ages and it seemed to be in every state run sect of Christianity in its time.
-----------------------------------------------------

But... It was not always this way!

In 492 or 493 Clovis, who was master of Gaul from the Loire to the frontiers of the Rhenish Kingdom of Cologne, married Clotilda, the niece of Gondebad, King of the Burgundians. The popular epic of the Franks has transformed the story of this marriage into a veritable nuptial poem the analysis of which will be found in the article on Clotilda. Clotilda, who was a Catholic, and very pious, won the consent of Clovis to the baptism of their son, and then urged that he himself embrace the Catholic Faith. He deliberated for a long time. Finally, during a battle against the Alemanni--which without apparent reason has been called the battle of Tolbiac (Zulpich)--seeing his troops on the point of yielding, he invoked the aid of Clotilda's God, promised to become a Christian if only victory should be granted him. He conquered and, true to his word was baptized at Reims by St. Remigius, bishop of that city, his sister Albofledis and three thousand of his warriors at the same time embracing Christianity. Gregory of Tours, in his ecclesiastical history of the Franks has described this event, which took place amid great pomp at Christmas, 496. "Bow thy head, O Sicambrian", said St. Remigius to the royal convert "Adore what thou hast burned and burn what thou hast adored." According to a ninth-century legend found in the life of St. Remigius, written by the celebrated Hincmar himself Archbishop of Reims, the chrism for the baptismal ceremony was missing and was brought from heaven in a vase (ampulla) borne by a dove. This is what is known as the Sainte Ampoule of Reims, preserved in the treasury of the cathedral of that city and used for the coronation of the kings of France from Philip Augustus down to Charles X.

The conversion of Clovis to the religion of the majority of his subjects soon brought about the union of the Gallo-Romans with their barbarian conquerors. While in all the other Germanic kingdoms founded on the ruins of the Roman Empire the difference of religion between the Catholic natives and Arian conquerers was a very active cause of destruction, in the Frankish kingdom, on the contrary, the fundamental identity of religious beliefs and equality of political rights made national and patriotic sentiments universal and produced the most perfect harmony between the two races. The Frankish Kingdom was thenceforth the representative and defender of Catholic interests throughout the West, while to his conversion Clovis owed an exceptionally brilliant position. Those historians who do not understand the problems of religious psychology have concluded that Clovis embraced Christianity solely from political motives, but nothing is more erroneous. On the contrary, everything goes to prove that his conversion was sincere, and the opposite cannot be maintained without refusing credence to the most trustworthy evidence.

I had to pull this photo out of one of my Chivalry books to find a photo to do this event justice.The Baptism of Clovis with wife Saint Clotilde and son looking on...

Clovis_zps1759f546.jpg

"Bow thy head, O Sicambrian", said St. Remigius to the royal convert "Adore what thou hast burned and burn what thou hast adored."

The thing to note here was that St. Remigius had all the air of a Godly man. I would say this as the Catholic church was unadulterated with power. With power comes corruption.

-----------------------------------------------------

Whenever a church refers to herself as 'the church' it is not referring to Christ but a 'she.' Even in Pentecostal Holiness circles I hear people saying lines like, "To protect the church." If we give 'the church,' or 'she,' or 'her,' too much power in that she looks after herself, we are inviting our institution to become another Jezebel. This spirit not only invaded the Catholic church, but the Anglican, Lutheran, Calvinist, and whatever church became drunk with power as the 'state church.'

The founding Fathers of the United States wrote in our constitution that it was wise to have a separation of church and state. Which keeps a lot of the power out of the hands of the clergy, who will become drunk with the stuff if allowed and take the same paths that the Catholic church did a millenia ago.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
It looks to me like the OP is way short on any scriptural support for what the OP says. Nowhere does the Bible say that Christ will marry seven wives.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
It looks to me like the OP is way short on any scriptural support for what the OP says. Nowhere does the Bible say that Christ will marry seven wives.

I realize that... But the seven churches... Apostolic, Martyr, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Methodist/Pentecostal, Pentecostal/Charismatic... Are just so different from one another. Read the history and find all the wars and troubles that arose among the seven sisters. It is not pretty!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Dodo_David said:

rockytopva said:
I realize that... But the seven churches... Apostolic, Martyr, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Methodist/Pentecostal, Pentecostal/Charismatic... Are just so different from one another. Read the history and find all the wars and troubles that arose among the seven sisters. It is not pretty!
The Bible doesn't call any seven churches by the names "Apostolic, Martyr, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Methodist/Pentecostal, Pentecostal/Charismatic".

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This Vale Of Tears said:
Christ only has one universal church.
I could have said that Christ had several billion brides, referring to each individual within the church. I merely generalized it a bit.

Dodo_David said:
The Bible doesn't call any seven churches by the names "Apostolic, Martyr, Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, Methodist/Pentecostal, Pentecostal/Charismatic".
But... History bares it out. And in their time they were a good bunch of Christian people. And then there were times that everything went AWOL.

This Vale Of Tears said:
It is in my studies that whenever a church organization thinks themselves as superior ('the universal church') that arrogance sets in and it is downhill from there. I believe that the church as one is the ultimate generalization, saying that there are seven churches within that church makes it a little more specific, saying that whosoever believes on Christ Jesus within those churches is saved makes it a lot more specific.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
This Vale Of Tears said:
Yes, there is one universal Church, consisting of Messianic Jews, Protestant Christians, Roman Catholic Christians, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Coptic Christians and other smaller Christian groups.

Robertson

Jun 11, 2013
That's a little out there. Jesus was telling John by direct revelation to give very specific messages to 7 very specific churches in very specific parts of the world. All those other churches you named did not even exist at the time of the revelation, so it would make no sense for Jesus to tell John to go deliver a message to non-existent entities.

Reactions: jiggyfly

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Robertson said:
That's a little out there. Jesus was telling John by direct revelation to give very specific messages to 7 very specific churches in very specific parts of the world. All those other churches you named did not even exist at the time of the revelation, so it would make no sense for Jesus to tell John to go deliver a message to non-existent entities.
Very good point Robertson, I agree, thanks for helping to keep things in proper context. :)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well then... Lets look at scripture!

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: - Rev 1:1

1. Revelations covers things that must come to pass

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:20

These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks - Revelation 2:1

2. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches. A star can be a planet, sun, or constellation. I believe that the star is in reference to a constellation. We all who have been saved are part of a constellation of believers who are a light to this present world. Note also that this is a mystery. If they were simply seven Asian churches then it is no mystery!

3. The seven candlesticks are the seven churches...And Christ walks in the midst of them! Whenever two or three of us are together in Christs name... Lo! There is he also!

4. The prophesies fit the day and the time...
  1. Ephesus – Apostolic – Leaving the first love… “All they which are in Asia be turned away from me…” – II Timothy 1:15
  2. Smyrna – Martyrs – Persecutions ten days… Foxes Book of Martyrs describes ten Roman persecutions.
  3. Pergamos – Orthodox – A pyrgos is a fortified structure – Needed for the dark ages.
  4. Thyatira – Catholic – The Spirit of Jezebel is to persecute, control, and to dominate. This spirit can invade any church!
  5. Sardis – Protestant – A sardius is a gem, elegant yet hard and rigid. Doctrine in the head, little in the heart.
  6. Philadelphia – Methodist – To obtain sanctification was to do so with love.
  7. Laodicea – Charismatic – Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

5. I am not the only one who believes that the churches came down through time. I have also heard this taught on the BBNRadio.org.

-----------------

Finally, and in conclusion... Believe it how you like! We all understand Revelation differently!