When Jesus told us to EAT his body, what do you think you are feeding on?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
The_highwayman said:
Mungo,
Did Jesus really mean we are to eat his real body?
Yes, He did. In this case, He meant what He said "literally, " which is the reason why many of His disciples left. They left because they understood that what He was saying was literal, and they left. The only ones who stayed were the Apostles.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Selene said:
Yes, He did. In this case, He meant what He said "literally, " which is the reason why many of His disciples left. They left because they understood that what He was saying was literal, and they left. The only ones who stayed were the Apostles.
That's not what he's saying. He's been saying that the disciples didn't literally eat the flesh of Jesus and because Jesus wasn't referring to carnage and cannibalism, he was speaking completely figuratively and the hosts merely represent his body and blood, don't become them. It's an all or nothing thinking he's been pushing for the last couple of pages.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regardless of what people think they are eating and drinking when they dine upon Jesus' flesh
and imbibe his blood; one thing is biblically certain: they only have to do it one time, and one
time only. Here's why.

†. John 6:54 . .Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life

Eternal life is an infinite level of life that's impervious to time, decay, death, and the aging
process. So then, it isn't necessary to replenish it from week to week because infinite life never
wears out. If that were not true, then God would have died of natural causes long before now.

FYI: since eternal life is impervious to death, then people who have it are impervious to the
wages of sin.

†. Rom 6:23 . .The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our
Lord.

Since people with eternal life are impervious to the wages of sin, then it only stands to reason
they have immunity; viz: they needn't ever again fear hell for their sins.

†. John 5:24 . . I assure you, those who listen to my message, and believe in God who sent me,
have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from
death into life.

Buen Camino
/

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
This Vale Of Tears said:
That's not what he's saying. He's been saying that the disciples didn't literally eat the flesh of Jesus and because Jesus wasn't referring to carnage and cannibalism, he was speaking completely figuratively and the hosts merely represent his body and blood, don't become them. It's an all or nothing thinking he's been pushing for the last couple of pages.
I thought "afaithfulone" was the one who asked why the Apostles didn't eat Christ's flesh after it was taken down from the cross. Besides, the Apostles already ate Christ's body and drank His blood at the last supper when Christ consecrated the bread and said, "This is my body." I was responding to Highwayman's post who was giving examples of Jesus' words being taken literally or figuratively.

In John 6, when Christ said "to eat His body," He was speaking literally, which is the reason why many of His disciples left. Even when Christ said, "the words I speak are spirit and life".........many of the disciples left. Nowhere in the bible is the word "spirit" ever taken to mean "symbolic" or "figurative" because the spirit is real.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Selene said:
I thought "afaithfulone" was the one who asked why the Apostles didn't eat Christ's flesh after it was taken down from the cross. Besides, the Apostles already ate Christ's body and drank His blood at the last supper when Christ consecrated the bread and said, "This is my body." I was responding to Highwayman's post who was giving examples of Jesus' words being taken literally or figuratively.

In John 6, when Christ said "to eat His body," He was speaking literally, which is the reason why many of His disciples left. Even when Christ said, "the words I speak are spirit and life".........many of the disciples left. Nowhere in the bible is the word "spirit" ever taken to mean "symbolic" or "figurative" because the spirit is real.
Yes. Agreed. But just one tiny detail. Jesus didn't say that "the words I speak are spirit and life" until the crowds abandoned him and he was left with his apostles whom he asked, "Will you leave me too?" Jesus was purposely offending the crowd so as to slough off those of weaker faith. Jesus was prophesied to be a "winnowing fan". This particular tool cast grain in the air so the chaff could be carried off by the wind. This is not dissimilar to when Gideon had an army of thousands, but whittled away the majority of them, sending them home, until he had only 300 men with which to defeat the opposing army. The point of this is to emphasize how important this doctrine is, that those who had only a half hearted belief in the Eucharist were driven away until only his most loyal disciples remained. It's why Jesus didn't clarify, try to better explain, or reason with the crowds following him and didn't offer this explanation until after the bulk of his followers had dispersed.