When You Need Help

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 8-25-22 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 26 5782 66th. Summer Day

When You Need Help
odb20220825.jpg

Read: Psalm 121 | Bible in a Year: Psalm 119:1–88; 1 Corinthians 7:20–40
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:2

It was a Monday morning, but my friend Chia-ming wasn’t in the office. He was at home, cleaning the bathroom. A month unemployed, he thought, and no job leads. His firm had shut down because of the COVID-19 pandemic and worries about the future filled Chia-ming with fear. I need to support my family, he thought. Where can I go for help?

In Psalm 121:1, the pilgrims to Jerusalem asked a similar question about where to find help. The journey to the Holy City on Mount Zion was long and potentially dangerous, with travelers enduring an arduous climb. The challenges they faced may seem like the difficult journeys we face in life today—trudging the path of illness, relationship problems, bereavement, stress at work or, as in the case of Chia-ming, financial difficulty and unemployment.

But we can take heart in the truth that the Maker of heaven and earth Himself helps us (v. 2). He watches over our lives (vv. 3, 5, 7–8) and He knows what we need. Shamar, the Hebrew word for “watches over,” means “to guard.” The Creator of the universe is our guardian. We’re in His safekeeping. “God took care of me and my family,” Chia-ming shared recently. “And at the right time, He provided a teaching job.”

As we trust and obey God, we can look ahead with hope, knowing we’re within the protective boundaries of His wisdom and love.

What kind of help do you need from God today? How does knowing He’s the Maker of heaven and earth encourage you?

Father, thank You for being my source of help on my life’s journey.

INSIGHT
As one of the Songs of Ascents (see the superscription), Psalm 121 was designated as a song of pilgrimage as the people traveled to Jerusalem for the three high feasts each year. Though there were more feasts, these three had been set aside for annual pilgrimage. Notice Deuteronomy 16:16 in Moses’ final instructions to Israel prior to his death: “Three times a year all your men must appear before the Lord your God at the place he will choose: at the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the Festival of Weeks and the Festival of Tabernacles. No one should appear before the Lord empty-handed.” The Feast of Unleavened Bread was also known as Passover (Pesach) while the Festival of Weeks (Shavuot) was also known as Firstfruits or Pentecost. Both of these were spring feasts, while the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) was a fall feast that remembered the people’s time dwelling in tents in the wilderness.

By Karen Huang|August 25th, 2022

Trust In God Psalm One Twenty One

1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.

6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.

7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thursday 8-25-22 5th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 26 5782 66th. Summer Day

When You Need Help
odb20220825.jpg

Read: Psalm 121 | Bible in a Year: Psalm 119:1–88; 1 Corinthians 7:20–40
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:2

It was a Monday morning, but my friend Chia-ming wasn’t in the office. He was at home, cleaning the bathroom. A month unemployed, he thought, and no job leads. His firm had shut down because of the COVID-19 pandemic and worries about the future filled Chia-ming with fear. I need to support my family, he thought. Where can I go for help?

In Psalm 121:1, the pilgrims to Jerusalem asked a similar question about where to find help. The journey to the Holy City on Mount Zion was long and potentially dangerous, with travelers enduring an arduous climb. The challenges they faced may seem like the difficult journeys we face in life today—trudging the path of illness, relationship problems, bereavement, stress at work or, as in the case of Chia-ming, financial difficulty and unemployment.

But we can take heart in the truth that the Maker of heaven and earth Himself helps us (v. 2). He watches over our lives (vv. 3, 5, 7–8) and He knows what we need. Shamar, the Hebrew word for “watches over,” means “to guard.” The Creator of the universe is our guardian. We’re in His safekeeping. “God took care of me and my family,” Chia-ming shared recently. “And at the right time, He provided a teaching job.”

As we trust and obey God, we can look ahead with hope, knowing we’re within the protective boundaries of His wisdom and love.

What kind of help do you need from God today? How does knowing He’s the Maker of heaven and earth encourage you?

Father, thank You for being my source of help on my life’s journey.

INSIGHT
As one of the Songs of Ascents (see the superscription), Psalm 121 was designated as a song of pilgrimage as the people traveled to Jerusalem for the three high feasts each year. Though there were more feasts, these three had been set aside for annual pilgrimage. Notice Deuteronomy 16:16 in Moses’ final instructions to Israel prior to his death: “Three times a year all your men must appear before the Lord your God at the place he will choose: at the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the Festival of Weeks and the Festival of Tabernacles. No one should appear before the Lord empty-handed.” The Feast of Unleavened Bread was also known as Passover (Pesach) while the Festival of Weeks (Shavuot) was also known as Firstfruits or Pentecost. Both of these were spring feasts, while the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) was a fall feast that remembered the people’s time dwelling in tents in the wilderness.

By Karen Huang|August 25th, 2022

Trust In God Psalm One Twenty One

3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Love, Walter and Debbie
Great post Walt and Deb, Prayer is essential, but so many times when people are distressed, or more accurately depressed, they sink. Prayer, assistance from fellow believers, meeting attendance, etc truly helps.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we can take heart in the truth that the Maker of heaven and earth Himself helps us (v. 2). He watches over our lives (vv. 3, 5, 7–8) and He knows what we need. Shamar, the Hebrew word for “watches over,” means “to guard.” The Creator of the universe is our guardian. We’re in His safekeeping.
Good reminder. Thank you for sharing. ‘Shamar, the Hebrew word for “watches over”, means to guard.” the Creator of the universe is our guardian. we’re in His safekeeping.’
To guard and safekeeping Makes me think of “inhabited towns without walls” with “I will be, says the Lord, unto her a wall of fire round about, and the glory in the midst of her.”
Zechariah 2:1-5

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post Walt and Deb, Prayer is essential, but so many times when people are distressed, or more accurately depressed, they sink. Prayer, assistance from fellow believers, meeting attendance, etc truly helps.
Hello Robert, How are you all? yes, you are correct, I think the most important time to be in prayer is always.

Love, Walter and Debbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are doing fine, thanks for your kindness, hope the same is true for you both.
Hello Robert, yes the same is true for us :):)

Psalm 121

Ephesians 4:13-15

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert, yes the same is true for us :):)

Psalm 121

Ephesians 4:13-15

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie
Fantastic! Glad to hear it. Great verses you posted about knowing Christ, which of course is essential for salvation. Who else did Jesus say you had to know for eternal life?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fantastic! Glad to hear it. Great verses you posted about knowing Christ, which of course is essential for salvation. Who else did Jesus say you had to know for eternal life?
Good Morning Robert, You and I both are familiar with who else because we have discussed this before, but The Father, I AM, Jehovah and Yehovah are all the same, to me.

And to answer your question:

John 4:24

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good Morning Robert, You and I both are familiar with who else because we have discussed this before, but The Father, I AM, Jehovah and Yehovah are all the same, to me.

And to answer your question:

John 4:24

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie
Me three Walt and Deb :). You didn't think I believed otherwise did you?

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are among others, honestly, I did not, but can you think of any other issue that needs addressing? Robert

Love, Walter :):)
Not at this time, but always open to future conversations of course. Always great speaking to you two, but a bit confusing as to which one of you I am speaking to, perhaps you might end it with your name so I know who I am addressing. Bob

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at this time, but always open to future conversations of course. Always great speaking to you two, but a bit confusing as to which one of you I am speaking to, perhaps you might end it with your name so I know who I am addressing. Bob
Hello Robert, Glad to hear that you are always open to having conversations, but, you are talking directly to me, and we normally work out our conservations together as a team, but she can not hear what we are saying unless I let her know, or she can use her laptop if she chooses, but which name do you prefer Robert or Bob?

Walter

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert, Glad to hear that you are always open to having conversations, but, you are talking directly to me, and we normally work out our conservations together as a team, but she can not hear what we are saying unless I let her know, or she can use her laptop if she chooses, but which name do you prefer Robert or Bob?

Walter
Bob is fine Walter, mind if I call you Walt? Always feel free to share our conversations with her, I assume your wife. It has definitely been nice conversing with you, you are pleasant and sincere.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bob is fine Walter, mind if I call you Walt? Always feel free to share our conversations with her, I assume your wife. It has definitely been nice conversing with you, you are pleasant and sincere.
Hello Bob, Either is ok, I'm glad you feel this way, and thank you, we will be in prayer for you all to be as well towards one another,

Ephesians 4

1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20 But ye have not so learned Christ;

21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

27 Neither give place to the devil.

28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Love, Walter :)

Reactions: Robert Gwin