Where are the Apostles and Prophets

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

manichunter

Jun 2, 2008
Is the Body of Christ missing some vital components of the body? Are they in hiding? Where are the apostles, true prophets and true evangelist? This is a question I have had since I was a little child and no one has given me an adequate answer besides my current pastor. However, I would like to know if others have this same questions or maybe know the answer. Eph 4: 11-16 11And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ-- 16from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. I could be wrong, but the body is missing some of its parts. I do not see these offices out front leading the body in the commission. Maybe it is not visible enough for me to see. I have actually looked and researched. Who has God called to these offices? Apostle (Apostolos)- a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with ordersi.e. Paul, Barnabas, Apollos, Peter, John2Co 12:12 Truly the signs of an apostle were accomplished among you with all perseverance, in signs and wonders and mighty deeds. Prophet (Prophetes)- an interpreter of oracles or of other hidden things i.e. Agabus, Silas, JudasAc 21:10 - And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11When he had come to us, he took Paul's belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, "Thus says the Holy Spirit, "So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles."' Evangelist (Euaggelistes)- a bringer of good tidings i.e. Timonthy, Titus, Mark2Ti 4:5 - But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.According to both Greek and Hebrew grammar, the most important subject of a sentence was place first in order. Hence the proper order for the chain of command would be apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor, and teachers. All these denoting offices of specific elders and how they are suppose to function in the Body of Christ. Since my childhood I have notice a few things. The evangelist and prophets are subordinate to pastors presently. Pastors presently supervise and command prophets and evangelist. In the Scripture, evangelist and prophets supervised and command the pastors. The evangelist and prophets only had to answer to apostles. This is what I mean by true prophets and evangelist, those that are in their proper place in the chain of command. Timothy and Titus were evangelists under the supervision of the apostle Paul who were ordered to set up pastors and deacons within local churches. They were then commanded to set the local church structure and supervise their initial development. At no time in the Scripture were the evangelist, prophets, and apostles subordinated to the pastors and teachers. The apostles are almost totally non-existence because no one is willing to step into the call out of cost to self. The ones that have stepped up are not respected for their authority and office. This is the answer I received recently. The body of Christ does not want apostles. This is the one office along with the prophet that could unite the Body of Christ. They would denounce the fractioning of the body of Christ, the lordship exercised by some local pastors, call for a general repentance and rebuke of the worldliness that has sneaked into some churches, and be truly universal in their commission to spread the gospel of the Kingdom of God. I believe there is still an apostolic and prophetic calling within the body of Christ. However, I also believe that they would be treated much like the Old Testament Prophets by a great sum of saints just as Israel did when those Old Testament prophets tried to operate in their calling and exercise their God ordained authority. The true apostle and prophet would demand too much from some saints who are comfortable in their established traditions, segregated institutions, and compromised lifestyle. Usually when a real prophet of God showed up, they generally had bad news concerning the state of sin, the need of repentance, and God's possible judgment for not obeying the word given to the prophet. Today, bold and committed apostles and prophets would encounter some large degree of opposition, rebellion, and skepticism from some believers. Something might be out of order with the five-fold ministry not being in operation. Can the Body of Christ be properly equipped and edified for work of ministry and unity without these offices and body functions?

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I am seeing this in scriptures too! I was taught that these offices were done away with. This is going to get interesting!

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
Apostolic Churches believe that their Bishops are the legitimate successors of the Apostles. Some denominations dispute the legitimacy of some of the others on this. So Catholics recognise the legitimacy of the Orthodox but not of Anglicans.Leaving that aside this means that we believe apostles are there and in charge.In the Catholic Church there are some officially appointed evangelists. I don't know how many. There are probably many who would call themselves evangelists. Official evangelists would act under the authority of their Bishop, so the structure is scripturally correct.Also anyone who teaches should have some sort of authority from the Bishop.A pastor/priest comes under a Bishop, so again the structure is there.There does seem to be a lack of prophets. In the Catholic Charismatic Renewal the gift of prophecy is encouraged but I don't see any official recognition of a role of prophet as such.I have over simplified slightly but I think the above is broadly correct from a Catholic perspective.

Aquila

Jun 18, 2008
I'm a Pentecostal preacher...I've known men operating in these offices for years. Where have you guys been? lol

Rank Stranger

Jun 1, 2008
Who are we to attempt to understand God's purpose, rather than just accepting it? He is in control, and His servants, armed with the various gifts He has provided, are among us. Our primary job is to first believe, then love, then listen and try all things, rely strictly on God's word, and teach His truth whenever and wherever we can.So don't worry about where the apostles are, for they are here, among us, and among all Christians and heathen, wherever they might be found.Rank Stranger

Latter-day Saint

Mar 24, 2008
For the record, some churches believe that there are apostles, prophets, and evangelists on the earth today, acting as they did in New Testament times.One church I know of that believes in the same organization that existed in the primitive church is the Mormon Church, officially known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Mormon Church believes that they have apostles today that are special witnesses of Jesus Christ and have authority to preach the gospel in all the world. They have a prophet that is called to lead the church. They have evangelists called to bless the membership.