Where was Gilead?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gilead is located on the east side of Jordan. Joshua 17:

5 Manasseh's share consisted of ten tracts of land besides Gilead [H1568] and Bashan east of the Jordan
The Midianites invaded the west side of the Jordan. Judges 6:

33 Now all the Midianites, Amalekites and other eastern peoples joined forces and crossed over the Jordan and camped in the Valley of Jezreel.
Judges 7:

1 Early in the morning, Jerub-Baal (that is, Gideon) and all his men camped at the spring of Harod. The camp of Midian was north of them in the valley near the hill of Moreh. 2 The Lord said to Gideon, “You have too many men. I cannot deliver Midian into their hands, or Israel would boast against me, ‘My own strength has saved me.’ 3 Now announce to the army, ‘Anyone who trembles with fear may turn back and leave Mount Gilead.’ ” So twenty-two thousand men left, while ten thousand remained.
The trouble with the text here is that they could not be physically at Mount Gilead.

Ellicott suggests these possibilities:

(1) to alter the text into “mount Gilboa” (Clericus), ...
(2) to suppose that “mount Gilead” was a rallying-cry of the Manassites in general, for Gilead was a son of Abiezer ... the phrase “let him depart from mount Gilead” means “let him leave the camp of Manasseh.”
One more conjecture is that Gilead is an ancient name for Gilboa (Schwarz).
Barnes offers similar sentiments:

No mountain of the name of Gilead is known in this locality, and it has been conjectured that the right reading is Gilboa. Others think that this may be a form of proclamation customary in Manasseh.
Benson suggests another possibility:

Not that mount Gilead which was on the east side of Jordan, for the camps, both of the Israelites and Midianites, were on the west side of that river, in the land of Canaan; but another mount Gilead in the tribe of Manasseh.
In summary, there are four possibilities:

1. There is a scribe error. Gilead is Gilboa.
  2. Gilead symbolizes Manasseh in general.
  3. This is a second Mount Gilead on the west side of Jordan.
  4. Gilead is an ancient name for Gilboa.