Where's the hunger for the things of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Complacency stunts our spiritual growth. If one thinks they are just fine, have all the answers and need to learn nothing more, they have stopped growing.

James 4:8

"8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."

How many of your bibles collect dust. How many times as you go to church, you forgot where you put the bible last week...
There is only one way to get and understand faith:

Romans 10:17
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

It is so very difficult to find Christian friends who can sit with you for hours talking about all things God. the more we submit...the more He fills us with His will, and His will is perfect .

Romans 12:2 - "
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Psalm 18:30
"As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him."

This is truly the age of Laodicea...lax, complacent, worldly and yet carnal still. Pray for hunger and thirst for Him if you are in this place of going nowhere fast! He WILL answer as He is faithful, ALWAYS :)

Christians do not limit God to one day a week and think they have "done their duty". How many times daily do you think about Him and His mysteries? Prayer is something we could and should do constantly in our hearts, minds and on our knees. Prayer is SOOOO powerful but, unless ones faith is intact, don't expect answers. BELIEVE what you do not see, if you KNOW it is His will then thank Him for hearing you. If you do NOT know for sure if what your praying is His will or not, then "Your will be done Lord".

Complacency causes one to become ineffective, and without power to be a witness for Him. Right where the enemy wants you to be. And, without prayer, one will never develop a relationship with God.

We all go through dry dark times but, He is by our side through it all, He is waiting for you to draw near to Him.

Serious stuff peeps!

In His Love,
nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Complacency stunts our spiritual growth. If one thinks they are just fine, have all the answers and need to learn nothing more, they have stopped growing.

"8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."

How many of your bibles collect dust. How many times as you go to church, you forgot where you put the bible last week...

It is so very difficult to find Christian friends who can sit with you for hours talking about all things God. the more we submit...the more He fills us with His will, and His will is perfect .

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

"As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him."

This is truly the age of Laodicea...lax, complacent, worldly and yet carnal still. Pray for hunger and thirst for Him if you are in this place of going nowhere fast! He WILL answer as He is faithful, ALWAYS :)

Christians do not limit God to one day a week and think they have "done their duty". How many times daily do you think about Him and His mysteries? Prayer is something we could and should do constantly in our hearts, minds and on our knees. Prayer is SOOOO powerful but, unless ones faith is intact, don't expect answers. BELIEVE what you do not see, if you KNOW it is His will then thank Him for hearing you. If you do NOT know for sure if what your praying is His will or not, then "Your will be done Lord".

Complacency causes one to become ineffective, and without power to be a witness for Him. Right where the enemy wants you to be. And, without prayer, one will never develop a relationship with God.

We all go through dry dark times but, He is by our side through it all, He is waiting for you to draw near to Him.

Serious stuff peeps!

In His Love,
nancy
Wow, powerful post Nancy.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where's the hunger for the things of God?

Only among those who are of God. And those who are won't be found in many modern churches, I can tell ya that. Churches have fallen away from the Truth in modern times.

And very few on these forums have a passion for the Truth.

It is as God said it would be. The True Sheep of God have been scattered far and wide just as Jesus warned would happen after His crucifixion.
"... the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad." (Matthew 26:31)
But only to those whom God giveth Faith and to those whom He hath chosen.
(John 6:44)
(John 14:6)
(Ephesians 2:8) "For by grace are ye saved through Faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"
(Romans 4:16) "Therefore it is of Faith, that it might be by grace; ..."
Romans 12:2 - "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."
But those that are of the world have nothing to conform to - they are already of it. Those who are of God are not among the Children of belial/the devil/disobedience/set, etc.

The Bible seems to consistently refer to two distinct (separate) types of people all throughout scripture.

The Seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. (Yes, very controversial, but it's there in Genesis.)(Genesis 3:15)
The goats and the Sheep.(Matthew 25:31-46)
The Wheat and the tares.(Matthew 13:24-42)
The True vine and the false vine. (John 15:1)
Children of God and children of the devil. (1 John 3:1,10,12)(John 8:44)

To answer the question, the hunger for the things of God is very much alive and well among those who are capable of that hunger. For the things of the Spirit are only perceived by that Spirit. For they have the mind of Christ. Those of the world have no awareness or comprehension of those things.
(1 Corinthians 2:14,16)

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Serious stuff peeps!

In His Love,
nancy
Anyone who loves the LORD will always be wanting to speak the things that be of GOD . They will love the truth in those bibles .
A lamb is known by its love for the LORD . Loving truth , holiness and righteousness and his neighbor as His own self .
John wrote it . SO then he who loves not RIGHTEOUSNESS , nor his brother does not know God .
Now , let all that has breath , who require oxygen to sustain life , PRAISE THE GLORIOUS LORD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Pat, more of a "sad" post I think though, haha!
But it had to get done . If we love the people we warn the people . Always desiring what is best for them .
Even paul only desired to see good from the people . Gave plenty of warning beforehand of what he would do , IF he had to do it .
He gave them that warning , so as in hopes they would repent of said errors before he arrived . SO he could just show up
and they could enjoy good fellowship . But if they heeded not , rest assured i am sure he showed up with a rod .
Never said one way or the other how it ended up . I like to think they repented and took him serious at the warning .
But if we love the people , we must do all for their sake . And that includes correction as well .

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was converted to Christ in a suburban AOG church in Lower Hutt, New Zealand, in 1966. It was the noisest, most lit up church in town. It had a congregation of over 400 people. People sang the songs and hymns with all their hearts, spoke in tongues, prophesied, and I saw people being released from demon oppression. And it was common to see six or seven new decisions for Christ every Sunday night. The preaching was Christ-centred and soundly based in the Scriptures. There were no lunatic fringe manifestations in the services, no falling down, no rolling around the floor. People just loved being at church and totally enjoyed the singing and preaching.

On Tuesday nights, I went to the prayer meeting. It was made up of mostly grandmas, and they prayed in English and tongues with all the hearts that God would continue working in the church services. One lady used to pray like a racing commentator and made sure that God heard every word she prayed. This prayer meeting was much more than just an eyebrow massaging session with boring monologues which seemed more like religious lectures to each other. These prayers came from people passionately reaching out to God for His power to save souls and bless the people. I realised that this prayer meeting was the powerhouse for that church. This was where the gift of tongues was being used to its most powerful effect - to bring the power and glory of God down into the church services on Sunday morning and evening.

I went back and visited that church on a Sunday night in 1980. There were no more than 100 people there, and you wouldn't know you were in a Pentecostal service. It was more like a non-charismatic Baptist meeting - a few choruses, three hymns and a sermon. While in 1966, many people greeted me and spoke to me when I first visited the church, in 1980, no one spoke to me at all. I didn't go to their Tuesday night prayer meeting. They never announced that there was one. I guess all the grandmas that prayed the power down on the meetings of the church had passed on and the prayer meeting had wound up. So, without the powerhouse, the church service that I went to disappointingly lacked the life and power that I experienced in 1966.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its better to warn than to leave those in error to their own demise .
A heart after GOD , would include a heart for the people . And as GOD desires none to perish , so too
do those who are OF GOD . Leaders really need to step up and take the duty . Church is not a business .
Its a family that loves the LORD and looks out for one another . Always bringing both grave reminders and wonderful reminders of the promises we have in Christ . Too many have turned the church into a money making business .
Forgetting that its the parents that ought to lay up for the children , not the children for the parents .
Let us follow the simple pattern given by CHRIST and later taught by the apostles . IT truly would be very simple
if we followed the original pattern in all things . I mean , JESUS KNOWS what is best for us and how to keep us safe and from falling .
I Suggest we take Him at HIS every word , loving every word from the heart . For the Words of GOD work good
unto the souls of the ones who hear and do them . Now , LET THE KING BE PRAISED .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was converted to Christ in a suburban AOG church in Lower Hutt, New Zealand, in 1966. It was the noisest, most lit up church in town. It had a congregation of over 400 people. People sang the songs and hymns with all their hearts, spoke in tongues, prophesied, and I saw people being released from demon oppression. And it was common to see six or seven new decisions for Christ every Sunday night. The preaching was Christ-centred and soundly based in the Scriptures. There were no lunatic fringe manifestations in the services, no falling down, no rolling around the floor. People just loved being at church and totally enjoyed the singing and preaching.

On Tuesday nights, I went to the prayer meeting. It was made up of mostly grandmas, and they prayed in English and tongues with all the hearts that God would continue working in the church services. One lady used to pray like a racing commentator and made sure that God heard every word she prayed. This prayer meeting was much more than just an eyebrow massaging session with boring monologues which seemed more like religious lectures to each other. These prayers came from people passionately reaching out to God for His power to save souls and bless the people. I realised that this prayer meeting was the powerhouse for that church. This was where the gift of tongues was being used to its most powerful effect - to bring the power and glory of God down into the church services on Sunday morning and evening.

I went back and visited that church on a Sunday night in 1980. There were no more than 100 people there, and you wouldn't know you were in a Pentecostal service. It was more like a non-charismatic Baptist meeting - a few choruses, three hymns and a sermon. While in 1966, many people greeted me and spoke to me when I first visited the church, in 1980, no one spoke to me at all. I didn't go to their Tuesday night prayer meeting. They never announced that there was one. I guess all the grandmas that prayed the power down on the meetings of the church had passed on and the prayer meeting had wound up. So, without the powerhouse, the church service that I went to disappointingly lacked the life and power that I experienced in 1966.
Help us dear Lord!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it had to get done . If we love the people we warn the people . Always desiring what is best for them .
Even paul only desired to see good from the people . Gave plenty of warning beforehand of what he would do , IF he had to do it .
He gave them that warning , so as in hopes they would repent of said errors before he arrived . SO he could just show up
and they could enjoy good fellowship . But if they heeded not , rest assured i am sure he showed up with a rod .
Never said one way or the other how it ended up . I like to think they repented and took him serious at the warning .
But if we love the people , we must do all for their sake . And that includes correction as well .

Yep, Paul did warn them he wouldn't be as nice if there were no changes :eek:
It seems most do not take correction well, especially over some core doctrinal issues. Moral issues should be a no brainer. But then, who knows what some "Christians" do in the dark. "Walk in the Light as He is in the light"...

Christ gave the Word and continued walking on to the next person, He didn't chase anyone down and try to convince them. Of course, His sternness and tongue lashings were aimed at the Pharisees.

Humility is gone in the Church for the most part. :(

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems most do not take correction well, especially over some core doctrinal issues. Moral issues should be a no brainer. But then, who knows what some "Christians" do in the dark. "Walk in the Light as He is in the light"...

Christ gave the Word and continued walking on to the next person, He didn't chase anyone down and try to convince them. Of course, His sternness and tongue lashings were aimed at the Pharisees.

We are in a famine!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks John!
I know not many men take well to a women who would possibly "correct" them, or disagree. But then we have Priscilla who instructed Apolos …also a co-founder of the church with Paul. No male, no female, no Jew, no Greek...no respecter of... :)
Unfortunately sister, too many places insisting on men only in their formal ministries get so involved in such legalities they miss God. Who does that help? God will put His Word in the mouths of available willing vessels according to His need without regard to physical gender! When I was in California a black sister who was long my wife's best friend [salt and pepper they were called] brought into our assembly over the years more than 50% of the 300+ congregation by her life and witness. I don't any man personally who has done as much for God. She is in her 80's now but still out constantly talking to people about God. She calls us periodically advising me that it is my "other wife" [an old joke among the three of us] calling.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really appreciate some of the thoughts in the OP - but then some I fine just a troubling.

I would like to find a people who like sitting down and talking about the Lord Jesus Christ. Yet it is not about church really. I sometimes, but not usually, can find someone who really knows the Lord and likes talking about Him. Of course taking about Him and not exactly the same as talking about His things!!! The church might be considered His things, but it is not exactly Him if He has to say choose between His people and Him, even if He does consider the church the body of Christ. He Might use the church to pick up something, like you might use a hand to pick up something, but you find the person in their mind and their spirit.

The Bible is like His textbook, of which He will gladly use to teach you from, but only if you actually spend time sitting at His feet and listening to Him. He did tell Martha that truly only one thing was needed and that was doing what Mary was doing. She was sitting at His feet and listening to Him.

That is what's nice, as far as I am concerned. It's the listening to Him. So then the things I would like to be able to find and discuss it what those who really do listen to Him have heard from Him, and how his words effected things. I mean that I would like to find people who can actually talk about Him!!!

Let me give you what I am talking about. One of the things He often likes to do is teach me with parables and saying, and I am not talking about the parables and saying in the Bible. They are nice, but knowing Him personally means listening to Him and He has lots more things to say to a person than just the 1500 pages you read in the Bible.

Here are a just a very few of some of my favorite little saying He told me - does anyone want to share theirs or talk about these?

MY PEOPLE WORKING TOGETHER IS LIKE PUTTING MAKE UP ON THE BRIDE.

IT'S NOT EASY LISTENING TO A ROCK. YOU HAVE TO LISTEN VERY CLOSE!

TWO MEN WERE WALKING DOWN THE ROAD, ONE TRIPED OVER SOMETHING HE DIDN’T SEE, THE OTHER DIDN’T BECAUSE HE WAS PAYING ATTENTION.

IT’S BETTER TO FALL ON THE ROCK THAN TO HAVE THE ROCK FALL ON YOU, BUT ISN’T IT BEST TO CLIMB ONTO THE ROCK TO GET HIGHER?

Those above are the type of things of God that I would like to talk about, because I heard them from Him personally. If indeed His sheep hear His voice then everyone posting here should have things to share, even for hours on end.

Reactions: Azim and amadeus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes humility is lacking, though they have plenty cause to be humiliated.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks John!
I know not many men take well to a women who would possibly "correct" them, or disagree. But then we have Priscilla who instructed Apolos …also a co-founder of the church with Paul. No male, no female, no Jew, no Greek...no respecter of... :)
My wife has to correct me all the time!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy