Which Bible translation ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

slipstream

Feb 12, 2008
Hello, I have never read the Bible and would very much like to do so. I am unsure which one to choose and would be glad for for a little bit of help.I am 49, if that help, I am not a good church goer although i would like to be.I know quiet a few of the main stories of the new testament, and even fewer of the old testament, I need a easy to read, nice clear text and hopeful a few notes in the back.I do own a nice large children's story book which I have read about 4 or 5 times. now is the time to read the Bible, but I would like to choose the right one.I know that there are a few versions out there, so any recommendations would be appreciated.Many thanks for any help,roger

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
Hi Roger,Many people claim that the KJV (King James Version) is the best English translation but it is written in old-fashioned text. There is also an NKJV (NewKJV) which brought the text up to modern standards and is easier to read.However the NIV (New International Version) is a very clear and easy-to-read translation that is widely used internationally.Both versions are accessible via Internet but, I believe, only the KJV can be downloaded for free.Both versions are available in a Study Version which contain many useful notes and explanations about the text as well as about dates, places, people, source documents, etc.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(slipstream;35456)
Thanks very much.
Slipstream, please look at my thread under my sig. I don't want anyone getting deceived by Satan. They (modern versions) plainly and clearly attack Lord Jesus Christ.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
As you see, Slipstream, everyone has their favourite version
smile.gif
I also agree that it is worthwhile reading 2-4 versions when parts seem unclear, then you get a better overall feel of what is being said (There are online bible services that offer multiple versions, such as the blueletterbible).For everyone who argues only one translation is "perfect", e.g. KJV, NIV there are others that are happy to show the errors in it, e.g. Google "KJV errors" will offer ample details of KJV problem areas.Funny thing is that, in spite of this, many people stand steadfast behind the claim that the "bible" is the pure word of God, every single word. But they cannot say which version. In fact not all denominations even agree on what books even comprise the Holy Bible. And that is before one starts to study versions in other languages, which often throw up incredible differences in fact and omissions. (remember even the English versions are translations of the original languages).However, if you are not familiar with the Bible I would suggest you do not get too bogged down in arguments condemning this or that version, but just get started on reading one that you feel most comfortable with. If you combine reading the Bible with prayer, church and discussion with other Christians, I am sure you will make good and safe progress
smile.gif

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
(forgivenWretch;35485)
High Five kalixx, I believe you nailed it!
Thanks FW, but it might well be nailed wrongly,
smile.gif
, afterall, its only my humble opinion!I just think that, if Satan is real, then he is just as interested in confusing and befuddling as he is in generating sin. Naturally, the bible is a very important instrument and the right choice is indeed a very critical decision, but it is only useful if it is being read....If anyone is serious about finding God and the truth, I guess God is not going to let obstacles stand in the way, but I think we are very capable of allowing ourselves to take the long route or the short route by drifting off at tangents and side issues.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
The King James translators at least did the translation in public, and did admitted that they are minor errors on there, that's why we look at Hebrew and Greek for words for Textus Receptus known as Byzantine Texts. Unlike modern versions that is copyrighted by MAN, they clearly attack Christ and say it is so easier to read...II Peter 1:20 - Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.I repeat "Unlike modern versions that is copyrighted by MAN, they clearly attack Christ and say it is so easier to read..."Well if you want to say it that way... It is easier to believe in a lie than the Truth. It is easier to tell a lie that to tell the Truth. It is easier to live in Darkness than to live in the Light.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.