Which garment did Potiphar's wife take from Joseph?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Potiphar’s wife attempted to have sex with Joseph in (Literal Standard Version) Genesis 39:

12 she catches him by his garment, saying, “Lie with me”; and he leaves his garment in her hand, and flees, and goes outside.
The dictionary meaning of this Hebrew word is rather broad, Brown-Driver-Briggs:

garment, clothing, raiment, robe of any kind, from the filthy clothing of the leper to the holy robes of the high priest, the simplest covering of the poor as well as the costly raiment of the rich and noble
That's not so helpful. Let's see a bit more of the context:

13 And it comes to pass, when she sees that he has left his garment in her hand, and flees outside, 14 that she calls for the men of her house, and speaks to them, saying, “See, he has brought a man to us, a Hebrew, to play with us; he has come in to me, to lie with me, and I call with a loud voice, 15and it comes to pass, when he hears that I have lifted up my voice and call, that he leaves his garment near me, and flees, and goes outside.” 16 And she places his garment near her, until the coming in of his lord to his house. 17And she speaks to him according to these words, saying, “The Hebrew servant whom you have brought to us, has come in to me to play with me; 18 and it comes to pass, when I lift my voice and call, that he leaves his garment near me, and flees outside.”
The garment was light and not heavy weighed or bulky.

NIV:

12 She caught him by his cloak and said, “Come to bed with me!” But he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house.
NIV's translation of "cloak" is probably a bit too much.