Who Has The Power To Consecrate The Eucharist?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Yes indeed,Jesus did instruct his disciples to obey the Jewish pharisees, but later we see Jesus tell them to obey HolySpirit when He comes. Can you show in the New covenant where there are only specific people appointed to be priest or representatives of Father's household?

I asked a question earlier that has yet to be answered, maybe you can give an answer. What did the believers in Corinth do to be considered unworthy when it came to the communion (shared meal)?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
jiggyfly said:
Yes indeed,Jesus did instruct his disciples to obey the Jewish pharisees, but later we see Jesus tell them to obey HolySpirit when He comes. Can you show in the New covenant where there are only specific people appointed to be priest or representatives of Father's household?

Christ told St. Peter to take care of His entire flock.

John 21:15-17 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Selene said:
Christ told St. Peter to take care of His entire flock.

John 21:15-17 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.
And He also commanded Paul to go to the Gentiles of which Peter was a poor witness and needed corrected by Paul in front of everyone.

Jesus is my head Priest and thus far I have not needed any other priest to mediate on my behalf. Because of Christ, I now can go directly to Father.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
jiggyfly said:
And He also commanded Paul to go to the Gentiles of which Peter was a poor witness and needed corrected by Paul in front of everyone.

Jesus is my head Priest and thus far I have not needed any other priest to mediate on my behalf. Because of Christ, I now can go directly to Father.
Yes, and they were all men. As I said, Christ only chose men to be His Apostles. And Christ told only His Apostles to do this (Eucharist) in memory of Him. He was not speaking to all His disciples during the Last Supper. He spoke only to the Apostles, and the Apostles were priests and bishops.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Today we are inviting others who are believers over and we will share some bread, wine, chicken, seafood, some vegetables and deserts and we will honor Christ and what He has done for us.

Because Christ lives in us we have no need for another to mediate.

Selene said:
Yes, and they were all men. As I said, Christ only chose men to be His Apostles. And Christ told only His Apostles to do this (Eucharist) in memory of Him. He was not speaking to all His disciples during the Last Supper. He spoke only to the Apostles, and the Apostles were priests and bishops.
Actually they were all elders in their relationship with Christ. But i really don't want to engage in a religious debate with you on this because I really am not concerned with what the RC religion teaches it's proponents.

But i still would like anyone here to answer my question as far as those @ Corinth who Paul said were partaking of the shared meal unworthily.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
jiggyfly said:
Today we are inviting others who are believers over and we will share some bread, wine, chicken, seafood, some vegetables and deserts and we will honor Christ and what He has done for us.

Because Christ lives in us we have no need for another to mediate.
Regarding the Eucharist, St. Paul told this to the Corinthians who did not take the Eucharist seriously:

1 Corinthians 11:34 Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment. And when I come I will give further directions.

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
Selene said:
When Christ picked up the bread and said "This is my body" and then picked up the wine and said "This is my blood" and afterwards say "Do this in memory of me," the only ones in that room whom He spoke to were the Apostles. So, He gave the Apostles the authority to "do this in memory of Him".......to consecrate the bread and wine. Therefore, it is only the bishops and priests who can only consecrate the bread and wine.
You are making an assumption that only the Apostles were present. Women did travel with the group and helped provide out of their finances. Many of these had traveled up to Jerusalem with Jesus and the Apostles for the Passover (Mark 15:40-41). That is why they needed a large room. The group would have celebrated the Passover as a family. Jesus would not have sent the women away to fend for themselves. In accordance with Jewish custom, they would not have been seated at the same table with the men, but they would have been present in the room.

However, that is not the main point I want to make. What took place in the upper room was a meal that sealed a covenant. It was not a sacrifice in the Temple. Every Passover was a renewal of the covenant between God and Israel. Jesus, speaking as the Lamb that was consummed by the family said "eat my flesh, drink my blood (a way of getting it on the doorpost of the heart). He used bread and wine to symbolize the flesh and blood of the covenant lamb. It is consummed as a renewal of our covenant with God saving us from eternal death. There is no need of any priest with special powers or authority.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Selene said:
Regarding the Eucharist, St. Paul told this to the Corinthians who did not take the Eucharist seriously:

1 Corinthians 11:34 Anyone who is hungry should eat something at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment. And when I come I will give further directions.
Any scripture that states it was because they didn't take it seriously???

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
jiggyfly said:
Any scripture that states it was because they didn't take it seriously???
1 Corinthians 11:18-34 First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it. But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God's approval will be recognized! When you meet together, you are not really interested in the Lord's Supper. For some of you hurry to eat your own meal without sharing with others. As a result, some go hungry while others get drunk. What? Don't you have your own homes for eating and drinking? Or do you really want to disgrace God's church and shame the poor? What am I supposed to say? Do you want me to praise you? Well, I certainly will not praise you for this!......................

(Taken from the NLT Bible)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Selene said:
1 Corinthians 11:18-34 First, I hear that there are divisions among you when you meet as a church, and to some extent I believe it. But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God's approval will be recognized! When you meet together, you are not really interested in the Lord's Supper. For some of you hurry to eat your own meal without sharing with others. As a result, some go hungry while others get drunk. What? Don't you have your own homes for eating and drinking? Or do you really want to disgrace God's church and shame the poor? What am I supposed to say? Do you want me to praise you? Well, I certainly will not praise you for this!......................

(Taken from the NLT Bible)
If you read the part following (underlined) the part you put in bold you can see Paul's gripe with them. It wasn't for not observing bread and wine as Christ's flesh and blood as a religious ritual but rather for not sharing the meal with the others less fortunate and ignoring those that were hungry. After all this communion was intended to be a meal shared with other believers.

By doing this rather than honoring the Lord, they were really dishonoring the Lord Jesus.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
jiggyfly said:
If you read the part following (underlined) the part you put in bold you can see Paul's gripe with them. It wasn't for not observing bread and wine as Christ's flesh and blood as a religious ritual but rather for not sharing the meal with the others less fortunate and ignoring those that were hungry. After all this communion was intended to be a meal shared with other believers.

By doing this rather than honoring the Lord, they were really dishonoring the Lord Jesus.
Hello Jiggfly,

You need to read further because I did not stop at verse 34. That is why I placed this symbol .......It goes on to say:

1 Corinthians 11:23-29 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the [same] night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke [it] and said, "Take, eat; [fn] this is My body which is broken[fn] for you; do this in remembrance of Me." In the same manner [He] also [took] the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink [it], in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes. Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks [this] cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood [fn] of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner[fn] eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's [fn] body..............

The Corinthians were having a party or a fiesta, not discerning the Lord's body and blood in which they were supposed to do. They did not follow instructions regarding the Eucharist.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Selene said:
Hello Jiggfly,

You need to read further because I did not stop at verse 34. That is why I placed this symbol .......It goes on to say:

1 Corinthians 11:23-29 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the [same] night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke [it] and said, "Take, eat; [fn] this is My body which is broken[fn] for you; do this in remembrance of Me." In the same manner [He] also [took] the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink [it], in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes. Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks [this] cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood [fn] of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner[fn] eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's [fn] body..............

The Corinthians were having a party or a fiesta, not discerning the Lord's body and blood in which they were supposed to do. They did not follow instructions regarding the Eucharist.
Yes and the dishonored the Lord by not sharing with the lesser of the group thus partaking of the shared meal unworthily.