Who's in hell? Pastor's book sparks eternal debate

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

year2027

Jan 17, 2011
Who's in hell? Pastor's book sparks eternal debate

Email
Print

AP – In this photo taken March 17, 2011, Rev. Chad Holtz poses for a photo in Durham, N.C. Holtz was fired …
By TOM BREEN, Associated Press – Thu Mar 24, 6:10 am ET
DURHAM, N.C. – When Chad Holtz lost his old belief in hell, he also lost his job.
The pastor of a rural United Methodist church in North Carolina wrote a note on his Facebook page supporting a new book by Rob Bell, a prominent young evangelical pastor and critic of the traditional view of hell as a place of eternal torment for billions of damned souls.
Two days later, Holtz was told complaints from church members prompted his dismissal from Marrow's Chapel in Henderson.
"I think justice comes and judgment will happen, but I don't think that means an eternity of torment," Holtz said. "But I can understand why people in my church aren't ready to leave that behind. It's something I'm still grappling with myself."
The debate over Bell's new book "Love Wins" has quickly spread across the evangelical precincts of the Internet, in part because of an eye-catching promotional video posted on YouTube.
Bell, the pastor of the 10,000-member Mars Hill Bible Church in Grand Rapids, Mich., lays out the premise of his book while the video cuts away to an artist's hand mixing oil paints and pastels and applying them to a blank canvas.
He describes going to a Christian art show where one of the pieces featured a quote by Mohandas Gandhi. Someone attached a note saying: "Reality check: He's in hell."
"Gandhi's in hell? He is? And someone knows this for sure?" Bell asks in the video.
In the book, Bell criticizes the belief that a select number of Christians will spend eternity in the bliss of heaven while everyone else is tormented forever in hell.
"This is misguided and toxic and ultimately subverts the contagious spread of Jesus' message of love, peace, forgiveness and joy that our world desperately needs to hear," he writes in the book.
For many traditional Christians, though, Bell's new book sounds a lot like the old theological position of universalism — a heresy for many churches, teaching that everyone, regardless of religious belief, will ultimately be saved by God. And that, they argue, dangerously misleads people about the reality of the Christian faith.
"I just felt like on every page he's trying to say 'It's OK,'" said Southern Baptist Seminary President Albert Mohler at a forum last week on Bell's book held at the Louisville institution. "And there's a sense in which we desperately want to say that. But the question becomes, on what basis can we say that?"
Bell argues that hell has assumed an outsize importance in Christian teaching, considering the word itself only appears in the New Testament about 12 times, by his count.
"For a 1st-century Jewish rabbi, where you go when you die wasn't the most pressing question," Bell told The Associated Press. "The question was how can you enter into the shalom and peace of God right now, this day."
Bell denies he's a universalist, and his exact beliefs on what happens to people after death are hard to pin down, but he argues that such speculation distracts people from an urgent point. In his telling, hell is something freely chosen that already exists on earth, in everything from war to abusive relationships.
The near-relish with which some Christians stress the torments of hell, Bell argues, keep many believers needlessly afraid of a loving God, and repel potential Christians who might otherwise be curious about the faith's teachings.
"The heart of the Christian story is that God is love," he said. "But when you hear the word 'Christian,' you don't necessarily think 'Oh, sure, those are the people who don't stop talking about God's love.' Some other things would come to mind."
About the only thing everyone agrees on is that this is not a new debate in Christianity. It stretches to antiquity, when Christianity was a persecuted sect in the Roman Empire, and the third century theologian Origen developed a theory that contemporary critics charged would mean that everyone, even the devil himself, would ultimately be saved. Church leaders eventually condemned ideas they attributed to Origen, but he has had a lasting influence across the Roman Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant traditions.
Those traditions often disagree, even internally, on what awaits souls after death. The Catholic Church, which has a formal process for identifying souls in heaven through canonization, pointedly refrains from saying that anyone is without a doubt in hell. Protestants reject the concept of purgatory, in which sins can be atoned for after death, but disagree on other questions. The lack of consensus is enabled partly by ambiguities in the Bible.
Evangelical opposition to Bell is exemplified in a succinct tweet from prominent evangelical pastor John Piper: "Farewell, Rob Bell."
Page Brooks, a professor at the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, thinks Bell errs in a conception of a loving God that leaves out the divine attributes of justice and holiness.
"It's love, but it's a just love," Brooks said. "God is love, but you have to understand you're a sinner and the only way to get around that is through Christ's sacrifice on the cross."
Making his new belief public is both liberating and a little frightening for Holtz, even though his doubts about traditional doctrines on damnation began long before he heard about Rob Bell's book.
A married Navy veteran with five children, Holtz spent years trying to reconcile his belief that Jesus Christ's death on the cross redeemed the entire world with the idea that millions of people — including millions who had never even heard of Jesus — were suffering forever in hell.
"We do these somersaults to justify the monster god we believe in," he said. "But confronting my own sinfulness, that's when things started to topple for me. Am I really going to be saved just because I believe something, when all these good people in the world aren't?"
Gray Southern, United Methodist district superintendent for the part of North Carolina that includes Henderson, declined to discuss Holtz's departure in detail, but said there was more to it than the online post about Rob Bell's book.
"That's between the church and him," Southern said.
Church members had also been unhappy with Internet posts about subjects like gay marriage and the mix of religion and patriotism, Holtz said, and the hell post was probably the last straw. Holtz and his family plan to move back to Tennessee, where he'll start a job and maybe plant a church.
"So long as we believe there's a dividing point in eternity, we're going to think in terms of us and them," he said. "But when you believe God has saved everyone, the point is, you're saved. Live like it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-qgmJ7nzA

year2027

Jan 17, 2011
God first

thanks Eccl 12:17

so you think hell is some super power place

will you can think that but it is not

with love and a holy kiss Roy

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Luke 16:22-23 (King James Version)

[sup]22[/sup]And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

[sup]23[/sup]And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Hades, the abode of departed spirits
Original Word: ᾍδης, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: hadés
Phonetic Spelling: (hah'-dace)
Short Definition: Hades
Definition: Hades, the unseen world.

Metaphor or true story? If metaphor, what makes you believe this?

PS Why we are at it, is the grass always greener on the other side? No, I don't know where that came from. LOL

GOD BLESS

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bell, emergent church et. co.?....Liberalism, repackaged to look hip.

Eccl.12:13

Aug 28, 2010
Luke 16:22-23 (King James Version)

[sup]22[/sup]And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

[sup]23[/sup]And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Hades, the abode of departed spirits
Original Word: ᾍδης, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: hadés
Phonetic Spelling: (hah'-dace)
Short Definition: Hades
Definition: Hades, the unseen world.

Metaphor or true story? If metaphor, what makes you believe this?

PS Why we are at it, is the grass always greener on the other side? No, I don't know where that came from. LOL

GOD BLESS

Well.....if Abraham is in fact in God's kingdom, that would mean he has received the promise of eternal life. But your dear Paul tells us Abraham, nor ANY of the saints that died with a good report have received God's promise of eternal life. Let's read it.....

Heb.11
[4] By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain....
[5] By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him......
[7] By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house.....
[8] By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out,......
[20] By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
[32] And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:

Now did ANY of these saints receive God's promise upon their death? Please note Enoch, the one the scriptures says did NOT see death, is included in this list of saints that had a good report with God. Abraham is also included in this list. Let's read......

[13] These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

And again.......

[39] And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
[40] God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Paul tells us that they will NOT be made perfect without US!!!!

And when are we made perfect?

"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the
dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."
"For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

Now just to confirm this let's read what Jesus had to say about eternal life and when it would be granted to believers.....

John 5:24
[24] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

So we know eternal life is theirs...... Now let's read WHEN eternal life is given....

[28] Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
[29] And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Now if Abraham and ALL of those mentioned by Paul in Heb.11 have NOT received the promise of eternal life, then what about the parable of the rich man?

From Jesus own mouth He says those that have done evil will raise to damnation. WHEN? When He calls for them. And at the same time those that have done good will receive life! And when will this happen? At the LAST Trump!

So how is it possible Abraham and the rich man are NOW being rewarded and punished respectively?

And NO! The thief in not in God's kingdom yet either!

Now let's read about Lazarus.....

Let’s first find out what type of story Jesus was telling.

Mark 4

[2] And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

[33] And with many such parables spake he the word unto them, as they were able to hear it.

[34] But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

So we understand that Jesus TAUGHT by parables. Jesus used parables as tools to convey His doctrine. And we find that Jesus ONLY used parables when He spoke around those other than His disciples. Now let’s find if the story of the beggar and Abraham was a parable or not.

Now to find if the story Jesus told was a parable we must go to the previous chapter; Luke 15. Let’s read…

Luke 15

[1] Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.
[2] And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.
[3] And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

So we know who was around listening to Jesus. Now let’s go into the next chapter….

Luke 16

[1] And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.

We find Jesus is STILL talking in parables. Now let’s read who ELSE was there listening….

[14] And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.

Now let’s read His next LESSON…..

[19] There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
[20] And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

Jesus ONLY spoke in parables when there were others around listening to Him speak. The story of the beggar and Abraham was just that…A STORY!!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
But your dear Paul tells us ...

Our dear Paul says:

1 Corinthians 14:37-38 (NKJV)
[sup]37 [/sup]If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. [sup]38 [/sup]But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.
Jesus ONLY spoke in parables when there were others around listening to Him speak. The story of the beggar and Abraham was just that…A STORY!!

It is literal. It mentions a CERTAIN beggar named Lazarus and a CERTAIN rich man. It also tells us that there is no escaping the place of torment and fire. Yes, it is a very real place where BILLIONS of humans will spend eternity in the EVERLASTING FIRE.

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Eccl. Thank you for your response.

First, you are right in one regard, but you have the event accidentally confused. These are the three things about us we need to remember.

(1) our natural bodies. from the dust it came and to dust it will return.

(2) Our soul, or spirit. This part of us never ends. It is with us in our body now, but will continue without our body. Truly, it is the true us.

(3) Our resurrected bodies. This will happen when the rapture happens, at the return of Jesus. This will not be like the bodies we now live in, but a perfected body, with out sin.

Now the verses you quoted was those representing our resurrection after the return of Jesus. This is at a different time.

"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the
dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."
"For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

This is the resurrection.

John 5:24
[24] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

So we know eternal life is theirs...... Now let's read WHEN eternal life is given....

[28] Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
[29] And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 5:24-30 (New King James Version)

Life and Judgment Are Through the Son

[sup]24[/sup] “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. [sup]25[/sup] Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. [sup]26[/sup] For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, [sup]27[/sup] and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. [sup]28[/sup] Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice [sup]29[/sup] and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. [sup]30[/sup] I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.

I believe when looking at the entire passage it is easy to see the separation of everlasting life, which has already come, and the resurrection upon the return of Jesus.

Ezekiel 18:4 (New King James Version)
[sup]4[/sup] “ Behold, all souls are Mine;
The soul of the father
As well as the soul of the son is Mine;
The soul who sins shall die.

Matthew 10:28 (New King James Version)
[sup]28[/sup] And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Job 33:28 (King James Version)

[sup]28[/sup]He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

Luke 12:20 (King James Version)

[sup]20[/sup]But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

Acts 2:31 (King James Version)

[sup]31[/sup]He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Here is a question for you. If we are resurrected at the last day, and "sleep" until than, what good do our souls do? Why would we need them, as Christians?

And NO! The thief in not in God's kingdom yet either!

So Jesus is a liar?

[quote[34] But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.
][/quote]

Here you do make some valid point if taken to that extreme. I believe, however, that this was a general reference. After all,

(Luke 6.17-19)
[sup]23[/sup]Jesus went all over Galilee, teaching in the Jewish meeting places and preaching the good news about God's kingdom. He also healed every kind of disease and sickness.

[sup]19[/sup]If you reject even the least important command in the Law and teach others to do the same, you will be the least important person in the kingdom of heaven. But if you obey and teach others its commands, you will have an important place in the kingdom. [sup]20[/sup]You must obey God's commands better than the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law obey them. If you don't, I promise you that you will never get into the kingdom of heaven.

Bottom line, Jesus taught much in parables, but also taught much in what we could call straight forward instructions and commands. May I ask you how you would respond to the fact every other parable in the bible remains nameless but this story, in which Jesus uses a very well known OT person to identify with, and would seem to make sense in the aspect that He (Abraham) is the father of us all?

Thank you Eccl. for your response. God bless

Aug 28, 2010
Eccl. Thank you for your response.

First, you are right in one regard, but you have the event accidentally confused. These are the three things about us we need to remember.

(1) our natural bodies. from the dust it came and to dust it will return.

(2) Our soul, or spirit. This part of us never ends. It is with us in our body now, but will continue without our body. Truly, it is the true us.

(3) Our resurrected bodies. This will happen when the rapture happens, at the return of Jesus. This will not be like the bodies we now live in, but a perfected body, with out sin.

Sooooo....... When Jesus raised His friend Lazarus from the dead He took his spirit that, according to some, went to be with the Father in His kingdom and put it back into his body?

So Lazarus spirit was enjoying the kingdom, in the presence of God with the holy angels and Jesus put that which HAD to be perfect BACK into a corrutable body?

One that had to die AGAIN and have that SAME spirit made perfect again?

And what about, according to you, the souls of ALL of the saints that Paul said have NOT been made perfect yet. You know...the ones that dies with a good report from God? Let's read it again....

Heb.11
[13] These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

And again.......

[39] And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
[40] God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Paul says they have NOT been made perfect.

So where are their souls? Waiting in purgatory?

And how is it that the thief on the cross and Lazarus was made perfect and beat ALL of these saints that died with a good report from God to the kingdom?

God made man from (2) things only; 1. Dust. 2. His breath. Those (2) items together became man. A soul was not put into man.

Please explain your doctrine because it ALL has to make sense!

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
As always, eccl., thank you for responding. Due to time I will try to make this is quick as possible.

Sooooo....... When Jesus raised His friend Lazarus from the dead He took his spirit that, according to some, went to be with the Father in His kingdom and put it back into his body?

Actually, his soul was in Hades, or otherwise known as Abraham's bosom. No one went to heaven until after Christ had died and rose again. However, you are correct, Jesus put Lazarus back into his body. You will read the same sort of thing in many testimonies of many others who have had near death experiences, which in all reality they were dead. Just like Lazarus, Jesus allowed them to come back for a many of reasons. Hard to understand? Maybe, but it happens all the time.

So Lazarus spirit was enjoying the kingdom, in the presence of God with the holy angels and Jesus put that which HAD to be perfect BACK into a corrutable body?

Actually, when Paul speaks of perfection here, completeness or fullness is what I believe he had in mind. When Lazarus died, he was not perfect, nor his soul. The soul is the real us, and only through the blood of Jesus are we right with God the Father, and this had not been done as Jesus had not yet died at this time, so again, Abraham's bosom is where he was, not in heaven. He called all from Abraham's bosom to heaven after He died and went to heaven.

If I am wrong please let me know, but I believe I have already answered the rest of your questions. Again, I believe in our perfect state, that is referring to our resurrected bodies, which will happen as we reconnect our souls with our bodies after Jesus returns. This will include all who believe from the OT to the ones still alive on earth, which will be changed right from their current state.

God made man from (2) things only; 1. Dust. 2. His breath. Those (2) items together became man. A soul was not put into man.

[sup]26[/sup] Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[sup][b][/sup] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” [sup]27[/sup] So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. [sup]28[/sup] Then God blessed them, and God said to them,

What is Gods image if not eternal?

[sup]7[/sup] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

And you will not find this wording (breathed into his nostrils the breath of life) in any of the creation of the animals. Can you explain to me what you believe this means?

Please explain your doctrine because it ALL has to make sense!

I truly hope this helps my friend. Feel free to ask any further questions.

God bless

Aug 28, 2010
Actually, his soul was in Hades, or otherwise known as Abraham's bosom.

No one went to heaven until after Christ had died and rose again.

So you believe the souls of the saints that died with a good report where put into Abraham's bosom, or, Hades, some sort of 'holding place', until Jesus died and was raised from the dead?

And this can be proved where in God's word?

You will read the same sort of thing in many testimonies of many others who have had near death experiences, which in all reality they were dead. Just like Lazarus, Jesus allowed them to come back for a many of reasons.

Again I ask...if what you say is true, that would mean that Jesus put a PERFECT soul BACK into an imperfect body! Does the soul then remain perfect while it occupies the body? Actully, how can it? Does it have to be made perfect again when......IF it returns?

What is God's image if not eternal?

(2) Hands, (2) feet, legs, arms, a mouth to speak. MAN is made in the image of God. Man looks like God and God looks like man.

And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.

And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand:

Man has the same features as God and God has the same features as man; with a mind to reason.

Man was NOT made in the likeness of angels nor any other creatures!

And you will not find this wording (breathed into his nostrils the breath of life) in any of the creation of the animals.

And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.

All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

God put His breath of life into everything that needed it. They did not start breathing on their own.

And He did the same with man.

There are some that believe man has a soul; God's word says man, ALL of man; dust and the breath of God, became a soul.

I believe in God's word

Aug 28, 2010
Actually, his soul was in Hades, or otherwise known as Abraham's bosom. No one went to heaven until after Christ had died and rose again.

You claim the souls of those that died before Christ died and rose again were in Abrahams bosom....OK!

And the souls of those that did NOT die with a good report? Where are were those souls kept?

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
You claim the souls of those that died before Christ died and rose again were in Abrahams bosom....OK!

And the souls of those that did NOT die with a good report? Where are were those souls kept?

That is a good question friend. Many testimonies I here of both those saved and not saved are all quite different from each other. I can be sure the same was true in the OT. Were all the souls that God allowed to come back to their bodies in near death experiences actually placed in Abraham's bosom all of the time, or perhaps something a little different as God perhaps showed them a bit of the other side? If all who were considered righteous were placed temporary in Abraham's bosom than it would be assumed all who were not righteous were temporary placed in hell. It is true that Jesus holds the keys to the bottomless pit, so certainly this could be the case.

In the end, all I can be certain of is where our souls will reside while we wait for Jesus after our death is for sure finale. In the OT, both the righteous and unrighteous were held in hell, but not in the same part of hell. There was no torment and only rest in Abraham's bosom. That being said, I can not be absolutely sure that in temporary cases all souls whether righteous or not was placed in hell, or Abraham's bosom. I only know where when death is finale. In that being said, I believe that there are still many many things of God we really have no idea about. How great is His love for His children?

GOD BLESS!

Aug 28, 2010
"than it would be assumed all who were not righteous were temporary placed in hell. It is true that Jesus holds the keys to the bottomless pit, so certainly this could be the case.

I can not be absolutely sure that in temporary cases all souls whether righteous or not was placed in hell, or Abraham's bosom.

Soooooo......you have no scripture for what you believe!

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
I have plenty of scripture of what I hold as absolute fact, but on things the bible does not make absolutely clear, I can except a difference of opion. What part do you want me to show you scripture for, provided I have not already done so?