Why did Jesus die on the cross?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Deuteronomy 21:

23 his body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is cursed by God.
The tree is a type of the cross. Christ fulfilled the above according to Galatians 3:

13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree
Similarly, 1 Peter 2:

24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds, you have been healed.
Then there was the piercing prophecies, Isaiah 53:

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.
Zechariah 12:

10 I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.
The piercing was fulfilled on the cross in John 19:

34 But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water.
Jesus himself prophesied the cross in Luke 9:

23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.
Jesus predicted the lifting up of the cross in John 3:

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.
Paul affirmed the cross in Philippians 2:

8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
The instrument of death needed to be crucifixion because it was prophesied.

See also Why did Jesus have to suffer and die?.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Some might call that a fallacy of composition.

The fallacy of composition occurs when one mistakenly infers that a property true for individual parts of a whole must also be true for the entire whole. In other words, assuming that what applies to the components will necessarily apply to the entire group or system12.
For example, consider a house made of bricks. Each brick is light in weight. However, it would be erroneous to conclude that the entire house is light simply because its individual bricks are. The fallacy arises from overlooking emergent properties—those characteristics that emerge at the collective level but are not inherent in the individual parts2.
In summary, the fallacy of composition involves attributing properties of parts to the whole without considering emergent features or context12. [Copilot Chatbot]

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
TonyChanYT said:

Which parts did I mistakenly infer?

Please focus on the question precisely. Note the bold. This is the 2nd time I've asked.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've said my peace.
Sure, but you have not answered my question.

TonyChanYT said:

Which parts did I mistakenly infer?

Please focus on the question precisely. Note the bold. This is the 3rd and the last time I've asked. I prefer to argue with people who can think and write with precision without overgeneralizing and jumping to conclusions.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deuteronomy 21:

The tree is a type of the cross. Christ fulfilled the above according to Galatians 3:

Similarly, 1 Peter 2:

Then there was the piercing prophecies, Isaiah 53:

Zechariah 12:

The piercing was fulfilled on the cross in John 19:

Jesus himself prophesied the cross in Luke 9:

Jesus predicted the lifting up of the cross in John 3:

Paul affirmed the cross in Philippians 2:

See also Why did Jesus have to suffer and die?.
By allowing Satan to kill Jesus, a man who had never sinned, Satan lost his credibility.