Why do Catholics adore, worship and deify Mary so much?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The odd thing is that although catholics adore and worship Mary, they're not so keen on having women priests..:)
Wonder which bit of this equality verse they don't like?-
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28 )

View attachment 23410

As I have written before, the Catholic view of woman is very, very confused. They elevate Mary to a totally irrational level, making it impossible for any woman to even begin to live up to that standard (thereby receiving disrespect and punishment from men). And they claim that since only Mary is perfect, no woman can serve as a priest. The whole system is set up to denigrate women and reduce them to doing men's bidding only.

Regarding Galatians 3:28, that isn't the only verse they ignore. They follow the teachings of their denomination, not God's word.

Reactions: Dropship

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He's a great singer! Did you ever hear his "New York, New York"?

What does your post have to do with anything real? It's just theater. Do you think his song will free Jesus from your depiction of His still being on the cross?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The odd thing is that although catholics adore and worship Mary, they're not so keen on having women priests..:)
Wonder which bit of this equality verse they don't like?-
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28 )

Believe it or not but in this particular instance, they are following Scripture. And the Orthodox likewise.

If you mean Paul, in context he was simply laying down some ground rules to tell some noisy women to stop yapping in the Corinthian church; he (and God) had no problem with sensible women..:)-
"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. On my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will speak." (Joel 2:28-32)

Reactions: Jim B

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..And they claim that since only Mary is perfect, no woman can serve as a priest. The whole system is set up to denigrate women and reduce them to doing men's bidding only..

Yes and it's amazing how millions of catholic women don't seem to mind, perhaps they're the sort who like being dominated by men..;)

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and it's amazing how millions of catholic women don't seem to mind, perhaps they're the sort who like being dominated by men..;)

Perhaps they do mind. I haven't known Catholic women to be different than any other women (except nuns, of course). They (Catholic women) are subjugated and dominated by Catholic men, who are supported by their (male) priests.

Reactions: Dropship

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If by "the proper order" you mean women should take second place to men and can't be priests, it's the naughty step for you catholics..:)
Peter called wives to obedience. Recalling Eve's disobedience. Peter called husbands to love. If that pattern is true, Adam failed to love Eve.
Something protestants continually project onto Catholics is the accusation of having some I'll intention and intellectually concocting a doctrine as a tool to keep the masses enslaved or whatever. Catholic doctrine isn't an intellectual concoction. I understand why you think that but it's not... We teach what we see just as Jesus told Nicodemus. . No need to say we walk by faith not by sight. It doesn't mean that.. you think we do that because you do.

Because they want the men to have all the control.
Men got their duty women have theirs. The focus isn't heirarchy. I think
Maybe it is. Jesus showed us what that means.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Popey even had the gall to criticise Trump for wanting to protect America-

rel-trump-pope.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How about it Pedro?
"We don't want no steenkin wall"
steenkin.jpg

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a substantial well guarded wall surrounding the Vatican. I was a bit disappointed in him for saying that. I lost some respect for the man

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

"Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered" (Proverbs 22:24)

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps they do mind. I haven't known Catholic women to be different than any other women (except nuns, of course). They (Catholic women) are subjugated and dominated by Catholic men, who are supported by their (male) priests.
The Sacramental life Grants the joy of fulfilling what God created us to be.

Reactions: Philip James

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Catholic women are not dominated by men. That's what Karl Marx wants you to think. That's what radical feminism wants you to think.

The Holy Catholic Church teaches, through Scripture and Tradition, that the husband is the head of his family and has God-given authority over his wife and children. This gift of authority does not give a husband any greater dignity than his wife. Both are equal members of the marital covenant, as is reflected by God creating woman from the side of man (as opposed to his head or feet). Instead, this order of authority reflects the divine order between God, Christ and man. God blessed the marital covenant with this order to maintain peace and harmony in the family, the “domestic church.” Just as Christ is the Head of the Catholic Church (the family of God), so the father is the head of his domestic church (his family).

1 Cor. 11:3 – “But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.”
+++
Eph. 5:22-24 – “Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of his wife, as Christ is the head of the church, His Body, and is himself its savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.”

Col. 1:18 – “Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.”

Titus 2:5 – Wives should be submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited.

1 Peter 3:1-2 – “Likewise you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that some, though they do not obey the word, may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, when they see your reverent and chaste behavior.”

1 Peter 3:5-6 – “So once the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves and were submissive to their husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are now her children if you do right and let nothing terrify you.”

Gen. 2:18; 1 Cor. 11:9; 1 Tim. 2:12-13 – while some people argue that God imposed the submission requirement upon women as a punishment for the original sin, this is not true. God designated the man as the head of his family from the very beginning of creation, even before the original sin. Therefore, man’s authority over the woman was not imposed as a punishment for the original sin, but to reflect the order of creation.

Gen. 3:16 – in fact, God revealed that women would want to usurp their husband’s authority as the result of the original sin. After the original sin, God tells Eve: “Yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.” Thus, as a result of the original sin, Eve would desire to rule over Adam, but God ensured that Adam would rule over Eve.

Gen. 4:17 – also shows that the Hebrew word for “desire” refers not to a hunger for affection, but a desire to rule over someone. Here, God tells Cain “sin is couching at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it.” Sin wants to rule over Cain, but Cain must rule over sin.

Isaiah 3:12 – the prophet laments about how women were usurping the authority of men, during the height of Israel’s covenant apostasy.

Eph. 5:25,28 – just as wives must submit to their husbands, husbands must “love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…husbands should love their wives as their own bodies.” Just as the Church is legally and morally obligated to submit to Christ, wives are obligated to submit to their husbands. This is why Paul makes the comparison between husbands and Christ, wives and the Church.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you mean Paul, in context he was simply laying down some ground rules to tell some noisy women to stop yapping in the Corinthian church; he (and God) had no problem with sensible women..
You do not have a full grasp of this doctrine, so kindly study it in depth, going all the way back to Genesis.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholic women are not dominated by men. That's what Karl Marx wants you to think. That's what radical feminism wants you to think.

The Holy Catholic Church teaches, through Scripture and Tradition, that the husband is the head of his family and has God-given authority over his wife and children. This gift of authority does not give a husband any greater dignity than his wife. Both are equal members of the marital covenant, as is reflected by God creating woman from the side of man (as opposed to his head or feet). Instead, this order of authority reflects the divine order between God, Christ and man. God blessed the marital covenant with this order to maintain peace and harmony in the family, the “domestic church.” Just as Christ is the Head of the Catholic Church (the family of God), so the father is the head of his domestic church (his family).

1 Cor. 11:3 – “But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.”
+++
Eph. 5:22-24 – “Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of his wife, as Christ is the head of the church, His Body, and is himself its savior. As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.”

Col. 1:18 – “Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.”

Titus 2:5 – Wives should be submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited.

1 Peter 3:1-2 – “Likewise you wives, be submissive to your husbands, so that some, though they do not obey the word, may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, when they see your reverent and chaste behavior.”

1 Peter 3:5-6 – “So once the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves and were submissive to their husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are now her children if you do right and let nothing terrify you.”

Gen. 2:18; 1 Cor. 11:9; 1 Tim. 2:12-13 – while some people argue that God imposed the submission requirement upon women as a punishment for the original sin, this is not true. God designated the man as the head of his family from the very beginning of creation, even before the original sin. Therefore, man’s authority over the woman was not imposed as a punishment for the original sin, but to reflect the order of creation.

Gen. 3:16 – in fact, God revealed that women would want to usurp their husband’s authority as the result of the original sin. After the original sin, God tells Eve: “Yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.” Thus, as a result of the original sin, Eve would desire to rule over Adam, but God ensured that Adam would rule over Eve.

Gen. 4:17 – also shows that the Hebrew word for “desire” refers not to a hunger for affection, but a desire to rule over someone. Here, God tells Cain “sin is couching at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it.” Sin wants to rule over Cain, but Cain must rule over sin.

Isaiah 3:12 – the prophet laments about how women were usurping the authority of men, during the height of Israel’s covenant apostasy.

Eph. 5:25,28 – just as wives must submit to their husbands, husbands must “love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…husbands should love their wives as their own bodies.” Just as the Church is legally and morally obligated to submit to Christ, wives are obligated to submit to their husbands. This is why Paul makes the comparison between husbands and Christ, wives and the Church.

You wrote...

a) Catholic women are not dominated by men. That's what Karl Marx wants you to think. [stupid comment!] That's what radical feminism wants you to think." [stupid comment!]

b) The Holy Catholic Church teaches, through Scripture and Tradition, that the husband is the head of his family and has God-given authority over his wife and children.

These are two contradictory statements.

Galatians 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female—for all of you are one in Christ Jesus."

Titus 2:3-5, "Older women likewise are to exhibit behavior fitting for those who are holy, not slandering, not slaves to excessive drinking, but teaching what is good. In this way they will train the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be self-controlled, pure, fulfilling their duties at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the message of God may not be discredited."

I am thankful that we no longer live in the culture of the early Roman empire, when this verse and the ones you cited were written. All you are doing is putting people back under the law, which is opposite to the freedom true Christians have in Christ. Do you approve of teenagers being forced to marry whomever their family dictates, and to be virtual slaves to their husbands? Is the purpose of women to serve men, who are the only ones who have legal rights?

The Catholic denomination treats women as second-class citizens! They're not even allowed to be priests!

If Jesus was willing to give the Samaritan woman "living water"...

John 4:7-10, "A Samaritan woman came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me some water to drink.” (For his disciples had gone off into the town to buy supplies.) 9 So the Samaritan woman said to him, “How can you—a Jew—ask me, a Samaritan woman, for water to drink?” (For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.) [note: all Samaritans were despised, especially women]

Jesus answered her, “If you had known the gift of God and who it is who said to you, ‘Give me some water to drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.

John 4:19-26, "The woman said to him, “Sir, I see that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you people say that the place where people must worship is in Jerusalem.” Jesus said to her, “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You people worship what you do not know. We worship what we know, because salvation is from the Jews. But a time is coming—and now is here—when the true worshipers [men and women] will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such people to be his worshipers. God is spirit, and the people [men and women] who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (the one called Christ); “whenever he comes, he will tell us everything.” Jesus said to her, “I, the one speaking to you, am he.”

Jesus was defying all the social norms by speaking directly to a woman, especially a Samaritan woman. There is a clear message here, but I doubt your Catholic blindness will allow you to accept it.

Reactions: RedFan

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic denomination treats women as second-class citizens! They're not even allowed to be priests!
Do you really believe that men raised to venerate a woman above all men but God incarnate would then treat their wives, mother's and daughters as lower in dignity? That doesn't stand to reason. You know what does?
That people who can't recognize the elevated status of a woman even though she delivered the savior to them might not be able to recognize the dignity of their wives mother's and daughters.
Jesus didn't ordain a women to Priesthood. Ya wanna know why? He is our Priest He is a Son a husband a man.
What makes you think you could change the order established by God?
The spirit of the world pushes that confusion and you help them

Last edited:
Reactions: Illuminator