Why do the wise virgins not share their oil with the foolish virgins?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Before I forget. “Working out your salvation is your own responsibility.” (Imo) if that is seek after your own oil and not care for that of another as working your own salvation out …then I misunderstood the heart and mind of Philippians 2:19-22 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. [20] For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. [21] For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's. [22] But you know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he has served with me in the gospel.
As a son unto a father, Timothy naturally cares about (to know) your state? Philippians 2:17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.
Define salvation.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you present the two propositions that contradict?
You already have. No? “But, if we look at this story in a literal sense, the "wise virgins" who brought oil for their lamps do not show the generosity or doing on to others that Jesus' other parables emphasize.”

• Haha
Reactions: MA2444

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define salvation.
-Clothed in the New man Christ.
-To not be unclothed being found naked but clothed upon of God.
-To not be found having my own righteousness which is by the law but to be found in Him having the righteousness that is given; by and through the works which are of Christ.
-to not be deceived.
-to be delivered out to mouth of a Lion. Whom seeks whom he can devour. To me it’s an ongoing deliverance for example when they were calling Paul a reprobate as one who fails. Paul trusted in deliverance from their wrong against their brother by and through the works of Christ that they be made perfect and whole. Paul trusted God could shut their mouths and make even enemies be at peace. He knew the devises of the evil one to cause a divide and instead stood continually before them not with a shut door, but with an open door. even though they meant to do Paul harm, Paul inspired by the One in Him meant to do them good that they be blessed. That is salvation to me. Deliverance from your accusers who seek to do you harm.
When we are weak, He is strong. The power of God towards another. God giving the increase of that which is sown. Another deliverance “Give us day by day our daily bread. [4] And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.” Luke 11:3-4
-salvation and deliverance: to be increased and to grow in Him. To be multiplied in “possessing all things seen as poor, yet making many rich”?

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was given to me.
As is the rest of his Holy Word.
Yes, it is all for our benefit, but it is not all addressed to us, and does not all of it directly concern us. There are many different places where parts are directed to this or that people, to this or that nation, we have to allow this part of the context inform our understandings also.

Much love!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Perhaps the breath of life that God gives all the living is a portion of the Holy Spirit. Recall what was said in Noah's time "Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” This would be the totality of the oil the foolish virgins had.

But the wise virgins had more oil, which includes the indwelling Holy Spirit.

By the time darkness came, symbolizing death, it was too late for the foolish virgins to make their way to the bridgegroom.

This emphasizes the urgency to accept Jesus as our Savior today, while we still live.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You already have. No? “But, if we look at this story in a literal sense, the "wise virgins" who brought oil for their lamps do not show the generosity or doing on to others that Jesus' other parables emphasize.”

That's funny! When I read hs post, that's what I thought, but he already presented the (so called) contradiction in post #1!! :jest:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But arent we grafted into the same vine? Dont we need the Holy Spirit too? Yes, we are called to abide in the Spirit.
We're grafted into the same tree, that tree being faithful Abraham, of whom we are all children.

Jesus spoke this parable to the Jews. I believe that it finds it's fulfillment and application concerning Israel, who will be married to Christ when He comes, and it's great teaching is that you cannot become ready when He comes, you must already be ready. A parable is a familiar story told in a way as to give a particular teaching. Para = alongside, ballo = I throw, to cast alongside.

One example is the unjust judge (Luke 16?), we do not come to this parable as if it were saying God is unjust. And here, the oil, are we saying that the Holy Spirit can be bought and sold? I don't think so. I don't think we are to try to assign a doctrinal interpretation to every detail in a parable. I think we should understand the story being told, and know the teaching meant to be derived from it.

Matthew 25:13 KJV
Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Much love!

Reactions: MA2444

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let proposition P1 = ___.
P2 = ___.

P1 = not P2.

Fill in the blanks.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was meditating on this before and chewed on for a long time and I believe the scriptures are telling us that our clothing which comes from God...is our garments in heaven. Or to put it another way, what our life station will be in heaven. There will be some in heaven which are rewarded more than others because they had more good deeds than them. Some will be called the least in heaven. The garments are the righteousness of the saints. (Our good deeds)

After we get born again, it's all about build up your treasures in heaven with good deeds to all of God's children. Picking up that cross. I can't show up alone, right?! That would be embarassing! I want to be able to say, Lord, look who I brought with me! It tells us how to build up our treasures in heaven.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
-To not be found having my own righteousness which is by the law but to be found in Him having the righteousness that is given; by and through the works which are of Christ.
-to not be deceived.
-to be delivered out to mouth of a Lion. Whom seeks whom he can devour. To me it’s an ongoing deliverance for example when they were calling Paul a reprobate as one who fails. Paul trusted in deliverance from their wrong against their brother by and through the works of Christ that they be made perfect and whole. Paul trusted God could shut their mouths and make even enemies be at peace. He knew the devises of the evil one to cause a divide and instead stood continually before them not with a shut door, but with an open door. even though they meant to do Paul harm, Paul inspired by the One in Him meant to do them good that they be blessed. That is salvation to me. Deliverance from your accusers who seek to do you harm.
When we are weak, He is strong. The power of God towards another. God giving the increase of that which is sown. Another deliverance “Give us day by day our daily bread. [4] And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.” Luke 11:3-4
-salvation and deliverance: to be increased and to grow in Him. To be multiplied in “possessing all things seen as poor, yet making many rich”?
Please support your definitions with verses.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please support your definitions with verses.
Okay. Is there a way to link it to the verse? It use to be when I would write for example Luke 6:28, it would automatically attach a link that went to the verse if a person clicked in it. Now it doesn’t. Do you know if I have to attach a link myself?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There will be some in heaven which are rewarded more than others because they had more good deeds than them. Some will be called the least in heaven. The garments are the righteousness of the saints. (Our good deeds)

After we get born again, it's all about build up your treasures in heaven with good deeds to all of God's children. Picking up that cross. I can't show up alone, right?! That would be embarassing! I want to be able to say, Lord, look who I brought with me! It tells us how to build up our treasures in heaven.
1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 - 19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
20 For you are our glory and joy.

I’ve been thinking a lot about although he possessed all things, yet he became poor that we may be rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that you through his poverty might be rich.

2 Corinthians 6:4-10 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, [5] In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; [6] By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by love unfeigned, [7] By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, [8] By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; [9] As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; [10] As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Matthew 19:21 ESV - 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Personally, I don’t think there will be any envy, greed, or lust hurt feeling in heaven. No more rewards ceremonies where some are appalled and others neglected. Something better.
But instead those “who gathered little” lacking nothing and those who “gathered much” having nothing left over. To me rewards in heaven will be an oxymoron for no one will boast in the flesh but only in Christ. Imagine a sense of equality where it’s not about who did more or less but finally until we come unto the full measure of Christ, a mature Man: 1 Corinthians 12:22-26 ESV
On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, [23] and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, [24] which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, [25] that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. [26] If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

• Love
Reactions: marks and MA2444

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 - 19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
20 For you are our glory and joy.

I’ve been thinking a lot about although he possessed all things, yet he became poor that we may be rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that you through his poverty might be rich.

2 Corinthians 6:4-10 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, [5] In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; [6] By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by love unfeigned, [7] By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, [8] By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; [9] As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; [10] As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Matthew 19:21 ESV - 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Personally, I don’t think there will be any envy, greed, or lust hurt feeling in heaven. No more rewards ceremonies where some are appalled and others neglected. Something better.
But instead those “who gathered little” lacking nothing and those who “gathered much” having nothing left over. To me rewards in heaven will be an oxymoron for no one will boast in the flesh but only in Christ. Imagine a sense of equality where it’s not about who did more or less but finally until we come unto the full measure of Christ, a mature Man: 1 Corinthians 12:22-26 ESV
On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, [23] and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, [24] which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, [25] that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. [26] If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

That's a good point and the reality is that being able to dwell in the very presemce of our Lord is our reward in heaven. Anyone who has ever felt the presence of God know this!

Nevertheless it is written that we should build up our treasures in heaven. Not that I want divine golden trinkets or what Jesus has, it is about Him. But there is rank in heaven. There's different types and ranks of Angels and in scripture (Ephesians 6) it talks about ranking of evil spirits, so when man shows up on the scene, we will have ranking also. Some will be called the least in heaven? I thought about that and considered my station in life here on earth. I remember once I was in Florida and on a sewer line digging crew. I was right next to a guy digging and when he bent over the side wall collapsed and buried him! I had to dig him out. Not my favorite station in life. I dont want to be the plumber again! I'd like a better station in life in heaven than the plumber. That was a terrible job to have on earth. It's ok to try and think ahead isnt it?

The more profitable of a servant that I can be to the Lord while I am here on earth, the better life I will have in heaven! (Prable of the Talents) And I have plenty of poverty here on earth, though I grow rich in His word! Doing good for the Lord and His work is just as easy in poverty than it is in riches. (The widow who gave two mites). Even poor folks can tithe their portions to the Lord as well as their offerings directly to the people who need it on the street. The poverty stricken and homeless. No matter how bad things get (at least so far), there's always someone who is worse off than you. So if we have two coats and someone has none, they get one. I think I am more content in poverty than I would be as a millionaire.

If everyone was like that, there would be no need for governmental welfare syatem Or their retirement system which is the same thing.

Build up your treasures in heaven.

Reactions: marks

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider:
Ephesians 2:6-7 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, [7] so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nevertheless it is written that we should build up our treasures in heaven.
You are the treasure! Edification; edifying one another in the Lord. Build one another up. I think of when He told Peter “when you return again, strengthen your brothers.”
There's different types and ranks of Angels and in scripture (Ephesians 6) it talks about ranking of evil spirits, so when man shows up on the scene, we will have ranking also.
Do you mean? Ephesians 6:11-12 KJV - Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Do we want to let that be the example? “spiritual wickedness in high places”?
Some will be called the least in heaven? I thought about that and considered my station in life here on earth. I remember once I was in Florida and on a sewer line digging crew. I was right next to a guy digging and when he bent over the side wall collapsed and buried him! I had to dig him out. Not my favorite station in life. I dont want to be the plumber again! I'd like a better station in life in heaven than the plumber. That was a terrible job to have on earth. It's ok to try and think ahead isnt it?

Thank you for sharing your “station in life”. That sounds like an incredibly hard job. I’ve felt the same being a house wife cleaning toilets and serving and being a caregiver to my elderly mom. no it’s nothing like what you’ve experienced but sometimes when I’ve been alone, I think my station in life is not one of the most admired. My husband mentions feeling this way about crawling under houses sometimes through things I don’t want to know about, putting in heating and air conditioning systems. I don’t think you’re abnormal for voicing feeling what you have shared.

The more profitable of a servant that I can be to the Lord while I am here on earth, the better life I will have in heaven! (Prable of the Talents) And I have plenty of poverty here on earth, though I grow rich in His word! Doing good for the Lord and His work is just as easy in poverty than it is in riches. (The widow who gave two mites). Even poor folks can tithe their portions to the Lord as well as their offerings directly to the people who need it on the street. The poverty stricken and homeless. No matter how bad things get (at least so far), there's always someone who is worse off than you. So if we have two coats and someone has none, they get one. I think I am more content in poverty than I would be as a millionaire.
Jesus Christ was angry that the temple and religious Pharisees was taking the last of what the widow had. (Imo) He was condemning their robbing(devouring) widows houses.
If everyone was like that, there would be no need for governmental welfare syatem Or their retirement system which is the same thing.
If there was “build up your treasures” in my opinion it would be building up the body of Christ, the members edified and strengthened in Christ…
Consider:
Ephesians 2:6-7 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, [7] so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

To me “build your treasure in heaven”
Is “the immeasurable riches”
“So that in the coming ages he might show his grace In kindness towards us”
“ For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. [19] For the earnest expectation of the creature waits for the manifestation of the sons of God.” Romans 8:18-19
Why does it matter? First, what is “build your treasure in heaven”. What is the treasure? Is it a mythical thing set aside in a bank account somewhere?
“Build your treasure” Ephesians 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplies, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, makes increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
Not to be mistaken as “I edify myself!” But a body that cares for its own (all)needed and useful parts.

makes increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. =build your treasure in heaven.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: marks

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing your “station in life”. That sounds like an incredibly hard job. I’ve felt the same being a house wife cleaning toilets and serving and being a caregiver to my elderly mom. no it’s nothing like what you’ve experienced but sometimes when I’ve been alone, I think my station in life is not one of the most admired. My husband mentions feeling this way about crawling under houses sometimes through things I don’t want to know about, putting in heating and air conditioning systems. I don’t think you’re abnormal for voicing feeling what you have shared.

So your husband worked with heating and air conditioning systems? That's what I did after I learned plumbing and I liked it a lot more than plumbing. I had my share of funky wet crawl spaces too, lol! I know just what he was talking about. I can fix the roof top units on commercial buildings and did that for almost 30 years. It's nicer on the roof than in the crawlspace, lol!

Jesus Christ was angry that the temple and religious Pharisees was taking the last of what the widow had. (Imo) He was condemning their robbing(devouring) widows houses.

I never thought of that. I always took that to mean that, the rich guys would put in a lot of money and make fanfare about it which didn't mean anything to Jesus because the rich guy gave from his profits. The widow who put in two mites, put in way more than the rich guy did because she gave her money from her sustenance. Her money that she lived on!

To me “build your treasure in heaven”
Is “the immeasurable riches”
“So that in the coming ages he might show his grace In kindness towards us”
“ For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. [19] For the earnest expectation of the creature waits for the manifestation of the sons of God.” Romans 8:18-19
Why does it matter? First, what is “build your treasure in heaven”. What is the treasure? Is it a mythical thing set aside in a bank account somewhere?
“Build your treasure” Ephesians 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplies, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, makes increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
Not to be mistaken as “I edify myself!” But a body that cares for its own (all)needed and useful parts.

makes increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. =build your treasure in heaven.

I dont think there is a money system in heaven. I have heard people
s testimonies where they were shown treasure in heaven. Gold and precious stones and all like that but what does that kind of treasure do for one who own it? Not much! It sits there. Another testimony I heard she said she saw the treasure room in heaven, or a treasure room, I'm not sure.

Maybe the real treasure in heaven is in the Libraries of heaven? That could be a possibility. I imagine the Libraries of heaven will account for quite a lot of edification all around!