Why do the wise virgins not share their oil with the foolish virgins?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus told the Parable of the Ten Virgins in Matt 25:

8 The foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’
The oil symbolizes spiritual preparedness.

9 But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’
But, if we look at this story in a literal sense, the "wise virgins" who brought oil for their lamps do not show the generosity or doing on to others that Jesus' other parables emphasize.

Right, but that would be straining the parable beyond its legitimate design. Not every aspect of a parable is meant to have a legitimate interpretation. That's the definition of a parable.

Isn't giving to those who do not have means a tenant of Jesus' teachings?

Right, but here, the oil represents the individual's own preparedness. By definition, you are responsible for your own preparedness. The dealers represent the pastors and teachers who are supposed to help with your preparations. In a way, they may have failed to do their job properly teaching the foolish virgins.

So, why are the ten wise virgins rewarded for denying their sisters?

They are not. They are rewarded for their own wise preparations.

By definition, they can't. Working out your salvation is your own responsibility.

Good questions.

Reactions: ScottA and amadeus

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope.
The oil symbolizes the Holy Spirit we have given to us on deposit....as Paul told Timothy to guard. (It burns to make light)
You can't give the Holy Spirit within you to another person...
The telling of them "to go buy some" was extreme sarcasm...as if that was going to work. But in desperation they went to try and buy some. (Simon Magnus) That didn't work out for them.

Reactions: Hobie

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But, if we look at this story in a literal sense, the "wise virgins" who brought oil for their lamps do not show the generosity or doing on to others that Jesus' other parables emphasize.

Right, but that would be straining the parable beyond its legitimate design. Not every aspect of a parable is meant to have a legitimate interpretation. That's the definition of a parable.

Right, but here, the oil represents the individual's own preparedness. By definition, you are responsible for your own preparedness. The dealers represent the pastors and teachers who are supposed to help with your preparations. In a way, they may have failed to do their job properly teaching the foolish virgins.

By definition, they can't. Working out your salvation is your own responsibility.

Good questions.
The oil represents the holy Spirit which portion you have that cannot be given to another.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How much does it cost us?
Mt 13:45Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Mt 13:46Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How much does it cost us?
Mt 13:45Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
Mt 13:46Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
Pearls come from an unclean animal....and the value of which is from a marketplace that is absolutely full of scams and conartists.

Just saying....

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pearls come from an unclean animal....and the value of which is from a marketplace that is absolutely full of scams and conartists.

Just saying....
Did not all of us start as unclean beasts before we met Jesus?
Pr 9:1Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
Pr 9:2She hath killed her beasts...

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did not all of us start as unclean beasts before we met Jesus?
Pr 9:1Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
Pr 9:2She hath killed her beasts...
I wasn't saying you were wrong...
Just that NO ONE has perfect theology...(including me and you)
And that lesson is a perfect contrast with the virgins and oil parable.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why do the wise virgins not share their oil with the foolish virgins?​

are virgins virgins?

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope.
The oil symbolizes the Holy Spirit we have given to us on deposit....as Paul told Timothy to guard. (It burns to make light)
You can't give the Holy Spirit within you to another person...
The telling of them "to go buy some" was extreme sarcasm...as if that was going to work. But in desperation they went to try and buy some. (Simon Magnus) That didn't work out for them.
The idea that The Holy Spirit is transferable is from the bible.
Many in the book of acts received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands. We also see Peter and John at the Gate of the Temple telling the lame man "such as I have give I thee".
So we see the gifts transferable.
We see the Holy Spirit transferable.
And we see healing transferable through the laying on of hands.
That Dynamic is what was going on with the foolish virgins. They were used to pulling from someone else's anointing. It wasn't that it's not transferable at any time. It's that at that particular time it wasn't. The wise virgins never said "we can't." They told them "we won't".
"Buy" is figurative.
Jesus told one of the 7 churches I suggest that you buy gold refined and Fire. He was not suggesting they "go buy gold"
Btw, Timothy received that gift through the laying on of hands.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea that The Holy Spirit is transferable is from the bible.
Many in the book of acts received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands. We also see Peter and John at the Gate of the Temple telling the lame man "such as I have give I thee".
So we see the gifts transferable.
We see the Holy Spirit transferable.
And we see healing transferable through the laying on of hands.
That Dynamic is what was going on with the foolish virgins. They were used to pulling from someone else's anointing. It wasn't that it's not transferable at any time. It's that at that particular time it wasn't. The wise virgins never said "we can't." They told them "we won't".
"Buy" is figurative.
Jesus told one of the 7 churches I suggest that you buy gold refined and Fire. He was not suggesting they "go buy gold"
Btw, Timothy received that gift through the laying on of hands.

The hand laying was not for the benefit of the receiver but for the hand owners.

God doesn't need people, He merely desires them. Huge difference.

And it's more of a function of the passing of the gifts in the Elijah to Elisha as a "firstborn" son even though Elisha was not biologically related to Elijah.

Faith and the working of the Holy Spirit is more like a muscle (stronger through exercise and use) than it is by some form of osmosis.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The hand laying was not for the benefit of the receiver but for the hand owners.

God doesn't need people, He merely desires them. Huge difference.

And it's more of a function of the passing of the gifts in the Elijah to Elisha as a "firstborn" son even though Elisha was not biologically related to Elijah.

Faith and the working of the Holy Spirit is more like a muscle (stronger through exercise and use) than it is by some form of osmosis.
The Holy Spirit in the book of acts was received by the laying on of hands of other spirit baptized men.
Healing of the lame man by the gate of the Temple was accomplished by the transfer from John into the man.
We also see the gift that Paul spoke of that Timothy was to entrust was through the laying on of hands.
The anointing that Saul and David received in the book of Samuel ,was through Samuel the prophet pouring oil on to both of them .
the oil represents the Holy Spirit and Samuel is the one applying it .

Address the verses and you will see that all this is 100% accurate

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit in the book of acts was received by the laying on of hands of other spirit baptized men.
Healing of the lame man by the gate of the Temple was accomplished by the transfer from John into the man.
We also see the gift that Paul spoke of that Timothy was to entrust was through the laying on of hands.
The anointing that Saul and David received in the book of Samuel ,was through Samuel the prophet pouring oil on to both of them .
the oil represents the Holy Spirit and Samuel is the one applying it .

Address the verses and you will see that all this is 100% accurate
Peter spoke to Dorcas and she came to life....

Reactions: rebuilder 454

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's not right, unless you call the Holy Spirit being prepared.

Oil always represents the Holy Spirit in scripture.

Reactions: rebuilder 454

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was a parable given to Israel, we should seek to understand it in that context.

Much love!

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter spoke to Dorcas and she came to life....
.I agree
I am addressing the dynamic that the anointing is transferable and we see exactly that in scripture.
Since it is transferrable, it makes sense that the foolish were lazily used to pulling off of the wise.
The wise instructed the foolish it was too late to spoon feed them.

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was a parable given to Israel, we should seek to understand it in that context.

Much love!

But arent we grafted into the same vine? Dont we need the Holy Spirit too? Yes, we are called to abide in the Spirit.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good questions.
Great question. To me you acknowledge there’s a contradiction “they won’t share their oil” to all the teachings of Christ that you have heard, but then try to excuse the contradiction? That is only my opinion. I personally think you were on the right path when you asked “why didn’t they share with those foolish who asked”? Have we forgotten God takes the foolish things of this world to confound the wise?

To me the parables tell either of sin unto death. “These things I have spoken unto them in parables?” Or. I speak no more in parables. But plainly show you the Father. Righteousness unto Life.

Concerning the virgins who all slept….
One that stands out to me is “Wake up you who sleep, and Christ will give you Light” “Ask of Me and I will give unto you.”

Another that throws off the whole parable is when the foolish are told to go buy and return and the door is shut …we know the verse “knock and it will be opened unto you.”
Luke 11:10-13 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. [11] What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; [12] or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? [13] If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Or what of:
Luke 11:6-12 For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him? [7] And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee. [8] I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth. [9] And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. [10] For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. [11] If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? [12] Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I forget. “Working out your salvation is your own responsibility.” (Imo) if that is seek after your own oil and not care for that of another as working your own salvation out …then I misunderstood the heart and mind of Philippians 2:19-22 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. [20] For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. [21] For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's. [22] But you know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he has served with me in the gospel.
As a son unto a father, Timothy naturally cares about (to know) your state? Philippians 2:17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.