Why do we doubt….

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 14:31 (NKJV)
And immediately Jesus stretched out [His] hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The question of the ages; why do we doubt?

Jesus asks this question to the heart of man…

If it is true God is all goodness, if it is true that God is all love, if it is true God sent His son to die for the sins of the world….. If these things be true, but yet, still we doubt…

Why?

Because, choosing own will over His will, is the birth of all doubt…

For by choosing own will over His will, proves by that very choice two things, that one does not understand what self is, nor does understand the doings of His will… For His will, in all things is the right thing, this is the righteous thing, which is the love thing… For choosing self will over His will is choosing the evil thing…. But this is not believed, but it is not disbelieved either, for it is what self by nature does…. It cares not for that which is right, nor, for that which is wrong, but like a brute beast of the field cares only for what it wants, what works for it in the present set of circumstances…

This is the will that needs to be made to believe.. The word came to Peter; come, Peter responded, yet the heart was not ready to give up the life of circumstances, not knowing yet what the life of self was… For when the life of self is seen to be but the life of a brute beast of the field, it will be run from as if it was, all the evil that Christ says it is…. Once it is seen, faith reins supreme… Now when self is given leave, and allowed to manifest itself, the heart screams at it with a; oh you of little faith, why did you doubt…

Be blessed in the lesson of faith…

A fellow student, Not me

Reactions: Heart2Soul

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i'm not sure that's the reality of the matter

one learns to trust and or believe one thing for something and then one is told to trust and or believe another for the same.

your avatar implies you ride, when you first learned to ride what did you have to learn to trust or have confidence in, that you did not before?

which is the case with the sons of man.

as far as want, that is another subject, because its love for that seeks the fulfillment of want. if you have a love for yourself over others then you seek the fulfillment of what you want. if you have a love for a spouse you seek the fulfillment of what the spouse wants over one's own, so on and so forth. and will seek to adopt any justification to do so.

in the case of Jesus and His apostles, if you walked with Him as one of those apostles in the start what would be your confidence and after two years what would be your confidence that Jesus is telling you the truth?

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i'm not sure that's the reality of the matter

one learns to trust and or believe one thing for something and then one is told to trust and or believe another for the same.

your avatar implies you ride, when you first learned to ride what did you have to learn to trust or have confidence in, that you did not before?

which is the case with the sons of man.

as far as want, that is another subject, because its love for that seeks the fulfillment of want. if you have a love for yourself over others then you seek the fulfillment of what you want. if you have a love for a spouse you seek the fulfillment of what the spouse wants over one's own, so on and so forth. and will seek to adopt any justification to do so.

in the case of Jesus and His apostles, if you walked with Him as one of those apostles in the start what would be your confidence and after two years what would be your confidence that Jesus is telling you the truth?

Thank you for your thoughts… Be blessed in and with your relationship with Him… May He fill you with all good work and word..

A fellow believer , Not me

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why do we doubt...
Ego-self fears its own truth of being nothing more than a self-fabricated identity story. It fears vulnerability and exposure to being invalidated. For instance, being seen as getting it wrong. In short, doubt is self-generated fear, lacking faith that it's okay to get it wrong; after all, no-body is perfect.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do we doubt...
Ego-self fears its own truth of being nothing more than a self-fabricated identity story. It fears vulnerability and exposure to being invalidated. For instance, being seen as getting it wrong. In short, doubt is self-generated fear, lacking faith that it's okay to get it wrong; after all, no-body is perfect.

Thanks for your thoughts… Be blessed in the experiencing of Christ….

A fellow believer, Not me

Reactions: Waiting on him

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do we doubt...

that may be true if you wrong about 2+2 but ask Adam and Eve if its ok to get it wrong about the Word of God. to not know or even be sure, isn't the problem, its whether or not one trusts the source. even in the case of A&E she could have checked with Adam to be sure or they could have checked with the Lord God to be sure first when it came to understanding the commandment about the tree..

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
that may be true if you wrong about 2+2 but ask Adam and Eve if its ok to get it wrong about the Word of God. to not know or even be sure, isn't the problem, its whether or not one trusts the source. even in the case of A&E she could have checked with Adam to be sure or they could have checked with the Lord God to be sure first when it came to understanding the commandment about the tree..
In regards to Adam and Eve, did God not know what was going to happen?

After Adam and Eve were evicted from Paradise (more so from the Tree of Life), they died. They both lost access to eternal life. They lost God's grace (support) until they (we) can become true again. God placed a flaming sword (Word of God, the Truth) that guarded the pathway to the Tree of Life. Only those who live a Truth-filled Way of Life can access the Tree of Life.

This was part of God's plan, He knew this would happen. In fact, it needed to happen, so we as a people can learn unconditional truth, faith, and love. It's the unconditional part which is doubtless. God placed a condition on Adam and Eve so that they (we) can learn to become unconditional themselves (ourselves). From a perspective of Truth, Adam and Eve did follow God's plan without them knowing it, because they themselves were conditioned / conditional (doubtful).

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians doubt because they believe and claim God's promises to heal, and then consistently see no answer to their desperate petitions. In fact, most Christians have never witnessed a healing miracle. Faith dies with no track record of success. So pastors rationalize this pattern of failed expectations with tired bromides like:
(1) Your petition just must have been contrary to God's will."
(2) "Is there unconfessed sin in your life that blocks your petition?"
(3) "Your faith must not have been real."
(4) "Perhaps God has responded to the need behind your request rather than to the expectation of the request itself.

To many frustrated seekers, such glib retorts make Christianity unfalsifiable even in principle and therefore epistemologically meaningless. Disappointed believers are then reminded of the number one criticism of educated skeptics: Not "The Bible is full of errors, myths, and legends." butrather "Christianity just doesn't deliver what it promises." Until we Christians face up to such objections with reluctant honesty, we have no hope of retaining the lost generation of young people who abandon their Christian faith after college. And I say all this as one who has experienced many remarkable answers to prayer and is an active member of a powerful weekly prayer group.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians doubt because they believe and claim God's promises to heal, and then consistently see no answer to their desperate petitions. In fact, most Christians have never witnessed a healing miracle. Faith dies with no track record of success. So pastors rationalize this pattern of failed expectations with tired bromides like:
(1) Your petition just must have been contrary to God's will."
(2) "Is there unconfessed sin in your life that blocks your petition?"
(3) "Your faith must not have been real."
(4) "Perhaps God has responded to the need behind your request rather than to the expectation of the request itself.

To many frustrated seekers, such glib retorts make Christianity unfalsifiable even in principle and therefore epistemologically meaningless. Disappointed believers are then reminded of the number one criticism of educated skeptics: Not "The Bible is full of errors, myths, and legends." butrather "Christianity just doesn't deliver what it promises." Until we Christians face up to such objections with reluctant honesty, we have no hope of retaining the lost generation of young people who abandon their Christian faith after college. And I say all this as one who has experienced many remarkable answers to prayer and is an active member of a powerful weekly prayer group.

Thank you for your thoughts, may your relationship with Christ grow and abound in all expression, experience and wisdom…

Be so blessed in Him, Not me

Reactions: Waiting on him

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regards to Adam and Eve, did God not know what was going to happen?

After Adam and Eve were evicted from Paradise (more so from the Tree of Life), they died. They both lost access to eternal life. They lost God's grace (support) until they (we) can become true again. God placed a flaming sword (Word of God, the Truth) that guarded the pathway to the Tree of Life. Only those who live a Truth-filled Way of Life can access the Tree of Life.

This was part of God's plan, He knew this would happen. In fact, it needed to happen, so we as a people can learn unconditional truth, faith, and love. It's the unconditional part which is doubtless. God placed a condition on Adam and Eve so that they (we) can learn to become unconditional themselves (ourselves). From a perspective of Truth, Adam and Eve did follow God's plan without them knowing it, because they themselves were conditioned / conditional (doubtful).

no, that's just some kind of justification for being a sinner, or judging for yourself what is good and evil (doing God's job). saying it was God who wanted man to live in sin and condemnation and die in separation from Him. no, no way that's not what A&E are about.

God gave them a Life that requires belief and trust in His Word "man is to live by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God" not some not most every. and A&E went by words other than God's Word. therefore trusting something else, by using their own judgement which resulted in death that day. they died of that Life that requires faith in the Word of God and was left with dust to dust ashes to ashes as any other animal has in the flesh.

the result of man's judgment is death, and God's Judgement is Life. man is given God's place in the earth to be in His likeness and image in order to execute God's Judgements in the earth. see Jesus, read what Jesus said and did and it was all about life, the restoration and healing of the living, and giving the Life He has to the faithful (believer). that's God's Judgement that Jesus cared out in the Son of Man which is the true likeness and image of God. Jesus even told the Apostles that if they saw Him they saw His Father. Jesus restored the availability of the Life that was lost in the garden to those who will believe and trust God's Word.

so no you should also note that as soon as God started to tell what shall happen from here out with A&E He said:

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

which is the first scriptural mentioning of the coming of Christ to restore what was just lost. so God's will is that man live the Life He originally gave the man. if one's parents are loving they didn't give you your life so you can loss it or die from it did they? you know go ahead step out in front of that bus, that will teach you a lessen. doubt teaches nothing, truth of God teaches everything, and if one doesn't believe or trust the Word of God which is the Truth, then you gain nothing and keep your condemnation in sin you were born into.

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
no, that's just some kind of justification for being a sinner, or judging for yourself what is good and evil (doing God's job). saying it was God who wanted man to live in sin and condemnation and die in separation from Him. no, no way that's not what A&E are about...
God wants us to be true, faithful and loving; an image of Himself. God also gave Adam and Eve the power of choice. The rest is in the bible.

God is Truth, and unconditional. It is other than God that is conditional.

Being made in God's image is not the same as being God, even Lucifer (God's light bearer) and other fallen angels found that out. And so too did Adam and Eve.

The Truth cannot be compromised; it is unconditional. To be True requires unconditional faith and love in the Truth.

The only power we have is the power of choice; nothing else is needed. This power is from God's grace (support). To choose self-determination within God (for nothing contains God) brings conditionality to what was unconditional. Truth cannot support what no longer is true, or self-compromised, one falls from God's support / grace, and sins. God remains True while the untrue runs riot. To choose to be unconditional is what brought the prodigal son back to the father and home again.

To choose to be unconditional requires one to know that self-determination is to deny God's grace / power to choose God's will for God's image. That self-determination does not beckon God's support. It takes this 'knowing' to become unconditional, to forgo self (self-fabricated image) for Being (God's image). Matthew 10:39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

To become unconditional is the way and the truth and the life to be in God's grace, God's will. To be in the Father and the Father in me. John 14:11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

It takes unconditionality (doubtlessness) to... ’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ Matthew 22:37

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God wants us to be true, faithful and loving; an image of Himself. God also gave Adam and Eve the power of choice. The rest is in the bible.

God is Truth, and unconditional. It is other than God that is conditional.

Being made in God's image is not the same as being God, even Lucifer (God's light bearer) and other fallen angels found that out. And so too did Adam and Eve.

The Truth cannot be compromised; it is unconditional. To be True requires unconditional faith and love in the Truth.

The only power we have is the power of choice; nothing else is needed. This power is from God's grace (support). To choose self-determination within God (for nothing contains God) brings conditionality to what was unconditional. Truth cannot support what no longer is true, or self-compromised, one falls from God's support / grace, and sins. God remains True while the untrue runs riot. To choose to be unconditional is what brought the prodigal son back to the father and home again.

To choose to be unconditional requires one to know that self-determination is to deny God's grace / power to choose God's will for God's image. That self-determination does not beckon God's support. It takes this 'knowing' to become unconditional, to forgo self (self-fabricated image) for Being (God's image). Matthew 10:39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

To become unconditional is the way and the truth and the life to be in God's grace, God's will. To be in the Father and the Father in me. John 14:11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

It takes unconditionality (doubtlessness) to... ’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ Matthew 22:37

you can choose apples and oranges but when it comes to who chooses who in relationship to God, God does the choosing. don't believe me, then believe the bible. show me where anyone in the bible chooses God, remember now children of Israel didn't choose God, they were already chosen through Abraham.

and you don't got nothing, without God giving it to you first. you should understand what life Adam had of which Adam didn't choose:

Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Adam didn't choose that Life did he, how can you choose what you're born into or made into. the clay doesn't choose the form it is made into the potter does.

and a side note after Adam the sons of man were in the image and likeness of man. after the fall.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Jesus says God is a Spirit so what is the image and likeness of God?

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you for your thoughts, may your relationship with Christ grow and abound in all expression, experience and wisdom…

Be so blessed in Him, Not me

I love your signature brother very powerful (Righteousness is right and not me) you should make a thread of it :)

Reactions: Not me

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do posters continue to give biblical answers to the OP's PSYCHOLOGICAL question? Thus, most of the answers are unhelpful to believers plagued by unwanted faith-crippling doubts.

HeartNSoul19

Jul 6, 2021
Washington DC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To doubt, or have questions, is a normal human tendency. When we deal with our doubts and questions by seeking truth, we often arrive at a deeper understanding and further conviction on whatever it is we are exploring.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does it feel to know that you have been chosen?

read the bible they have documented it for centuries.

look, freewill is a Greek philosophy, not a biblical stance in relationship with God and man. and the freewill is merely a feed for the ego (self interest self importance so on and so forth) in western culture. as long as you believe you're important you can go about choosing or go by your own judgement of good and evil (though no matter your choice that you believe you have condemnation is still one's destiny). where as God is the Judge of what is good and evil for His creation and the creatures therein, no exceptions.

make no mistake there is the call (God's call, not those who call themselves) then there is the choice (God's choice) and then becoming faithful, which what God knows already, i do believe according to you. so God chooses the faithful that He knows are and He knows will be.

note that Abraham was chosen, and that same faith is the faith that saves.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 14:31 (NKJV)
And immediately Jesus stretched out [His] hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The question of the ages; why do we doubt?

Jesus asks this question to the heart of man…

If it is true God is all goodness, if it is true that God is all love, if it is true God sent His son to die for the sins of the world….. If these things be true, but yet, still we doubt…

Why?

Because, choosing own will over His will, is the birth of all doubt…

For by choosing own will over His will, proves by that very choice two things, that one does not understand what self is, nor does understand the doings of His will… For His will, in all things is the right thing, this is the righteous thing, which is the love thing… For choosing self will over His will is choosing the evil thing…. But this is not believed, but it is not disbelieved either, for it is what self by nature does…. It cares not for that which is right, nor, for that which is wrong, but like a brute beast of the field cares only for what it wants, what works for it in the present set of circumstances…

This is the will that needs to be made to believe.. The word came to Peter; come, Peter responded, yet the heart was not ready to give up the life of circumstances, not knowing yet what the life of self was… For when the life of self is seen to be but the life of a brute beast of the field, it will be run from as if it was, all the evil that Christ says it is…. Once it is seen, faith reins supreme… Now when self is given leave, and allowed to manifest itself, the heart screams at it with a; oh you of little faith, why did you doubt…

Be blessed in the lesson of faith…

A fellow student, Not me
That which is in Christ is anchored, what isn’t is tossed to and fro.

Reactions: Not me

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doubt is a mark of intelligence, including spiritual intelligence.
We need to ask ourselves whether we have enough faith to have an effective prayer life. But that very question prompts us to look within and the uncertainties of such introspection inevitably create doubt. As Saint Teresa of Lisieux wisely observed: "Those who have the courage to live uncomfortably with themselves will be for Jesus a pleasant place of shelter." Thus, theologians speak of "the courage to doubt."

Most Christians treat their faith as an unquestioned working ideological construct that gives their lives meaning. and, in doing so, eliminate the need to doubt. but it is precisely this mentality that causes 3 of every 4 bright Christian youth to lose their faith during their college years. They are simply stimulated by professors and a greater variety of other youth to alter their ideological construct for life. Because they have not previously had the courage to doubt their core beliefs, their faith has not been grounded in an intimate relationship with God and has not been forged by doubt in al long process of growth through doubts generated by trial-and-error. The doubt I speak of is very healthy and must be distinguished from the wishy-washy doubt condemned in Scripture.