Why does Christ say to keep the Commandments?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not saying anything like that but what Jesus said.

Jesus continually upheld the commandments. Seems you do t want to talk about that.

Make a Blessed Day!
What is there to talk about? I already stated what it means to "keep" the commandments and none of us have flawlessly obeyed the commandments. I don't support lawlessness or justification by the law. It's not complicated.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cults teach that commandments keeping is salvation and eternal life.

The Cross of Christ and John 14:6 deny heretical lies like those, and many other Cult teachings.

Remember... the heretics are always trying to get you to do something...... of yourself..... so that you can be saved and stay saved.

And what is that? That is a total rejection of the Blood Atonement that is the Cross of Christ.
Aren’t all Born Again under the New covenant?

I didn’t think the Old covenant applied to Born Agains?

Hebrews 9:15 ESV / 543 helpful votes​

Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.

Luke 22:20 ESV / 485 helpful votes​

And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

Hebrews 8:13 ESV / 444 helpful votes​

In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 8:6 ESV / 396 helpful votes​

But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.

2 Corinthians 3:6 ESV / 297 helpful votes​

Who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Hebrews 8:7-8 ESV / 294 helpful votes​

For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second. For he finds fault with them when he says: “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

1 Corinthians 11:25 ESV / 281 helpful votes​

In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

Jeremiah 31:33 ESV / 270 helpful votes​

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Mark 14:24 ESV / 258 helpful votes​

And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.

Jeremiah 31:31 ESV / 223 helpful votes​

“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

Reactions: Behold

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is there to talk about? I already stated what it means to "keep" the commandments
You already stated?

What there is to talk about is the subject you keep ignoring. For some reason, you are self-centered in this exchange, focusing only on what you say, ignoring the point @Hobie made of what Jesus said.

Jesus continually held up the commandments. The lord of heaven and earth took this action. Some think what the lord stated has some value to discuss. Others not so much.

Reactions: Episkopos

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You already stated?

What there is to talk about is the subject you keep ignoring. For some reason, you are self-centered in this exchange, focusing only on what you say, ignoring the point @Hobie made of what Jesus said.

Jesus continually held up the commandments. The lord of heaven and earth took this action. Some think what the lord stated has some value to discuss. Others not so much.
I did not ignore, and I do not fight against what Christ upheld for us to observe, "to love God and our fellow man" as stated by Hobie. So, what's the problem?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hobie said - "Christ continuously held up the Commandments as a central theme for eternal life."

How many ways can one interpret that?
Well, that was the question that they brought to Christ...

Matthew 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

And what was the answer?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that was the question that they brought to Christ...

Matthew 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

And what was the answer?
So, you understand Jeses' answer to mean that keeping the commandments is the basis or means by which we obtain eternal life? Obviously you do. Jesus showed the rich young ruler how short he falls of keeping even the first commandment (Exodus 20:3) which is the first of the two great commandments. (Deuteronomy 6:5; Matthew 22:37) The rich young ruler confidently and (self-righteously) declared that he has kept the commandments from his youth up and qualified for heaven under those terms. Yet Jesus knew the man's wealth had become his idolatrous god, which kept him from believing in Jesus unto salvation. (John 3:18)

The rich young ruler missed the point that Jesus was making, failed to place his faith in Jesus for salvation, and continued instead to trust in his riches (vs. 21-23). He went away sad because he could not part from his great wealth, not even in exchange for eternal life. If keeping the commandments is the basis or means by which we receive eternal life, then why isn't this remark the pattern for all discussions concerning eternal life? Paul would have said to the jailer who asked, "what must I do to be saved?" by replying in Acts 16:31 - "keep the commandments and you will be saved," yet instead, Paul said - "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.."

Jesus knows the hearts of all men and responds to each individual a little differently because He knows where their need is. He didn't respond to the woman at the well, or to Nicodemus or to the rich young ruler the exact same way, yet the consistent pattern in scripture is salvation by grace through faith, not works. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.

And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.

Who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second. For he finds fault with them when he says: “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.

“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

Amen.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And yet everyone agrees we must follow all of the Commandments but say the fourth we can ignore... Satan has given the big lie and many have fallen for it..

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And yet everyone agrees we must follow all of the Commandments but say the fourth we can ignore... Satan has given the big lie and many have fallen for it..
How do you keep the commandments every day?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the WHY.....is
BECAUSE OF OUR LOVE FOR HIM! We love him bc he first loved us.

John. 14.
15] If ye love me, keep MY commandments. 21] He that hath my commandments, and KEEPETH them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

1 John 2:3-6
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But who's keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

How did Jesus walk? Doing only the will of the Father, he summed it up here......
Mark 12:30 KJV: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment ...
Matthew 22:
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the prophets.........
John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that YE ARE MY DISCIPLES, if ye have love one to another.

Jesus said " without me, ye can do nothing".Only by believing in Jesus Christ as Savior and allowing Him to live His life through us can we truly love and follow God. As the Spirit reveals unto us the commands Jesus gave, we must ask God to help us observe these words, apply them, and faithfully follow them through the power of his Holy Spirit.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you keep the commandments every day?
That question is really avoiding the point, which is the standard of keeping the (10) commandments remains a burden for those who profess love for God according to Jesus.

OSAS folks imply Jesus died on a cross so we can sin with impunity.

What Jesus accomplished by ushering in the New Covenant is that our keeping the commandments every day is no longer a salvation issue. Imagine a husband who claims to love his wife who NEVER does what his wife wants ON PRINCIPLE that he doesn't have to. That's an impressive kind of love, isn't it?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That question is really avoiding the point, which is the standard of keeping the (10) commandments remains a burden for those who profess love for God according to Jesus.

OSAS folks imply Jesus died on a cross so we can sin with impunity.

What Jesus accomplished by ushering in the New Covenant is that our keeping the commandments every day is no longer a salvation issue. Imagine a husband who claims to love his wife who NEVER does what his wife wants ON PRINCIPLE that he doesn't have to. That's an impressive kind of love, isn't it?
We as Born Again are under the New Covenant.

Therefore our sins are forgiven, we are under God’s Grace....therefore we are being made into the image of Jesus, it’s called the sanctification process.

No one can keep the Ten Commandments...not I either.....we are covered by the Blood of Jesus....therefore not under law but under his Grace.

A Born Again is in right standing with God...why....because they have been birthed in the Spirit.

Spirit gives birth to spirit?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
S folks imply Jesus died on a cross so we can sin with impunity.
God’s word says it better.

1 John 3:9
Audio Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

New Living Translation
Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God.

English Standard Version
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Standard Bible
Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Literal Bible
Anyone having been born of God does not practice sin, because His seed abides in him, and he is not able to continue sinning, because he has been born of God.

King James Bible
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

New King James Version
Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

New American Standard Bible
No one who has been born of God practices sin, because His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin continually, because he has been born of God.

NASB 1995
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

NASB 1977
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Legacy Standard Bible
Everyone who has been born of God does not sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this helps you @Wrangler .

A Born Again is under grace.

The correct answer is that it's because it is impossible for any human being (besides Jesus) to perfectly obey the Ten commandments. One reason is that we are all imperfect by nature and another reason is that Jesus himself said that even thinking a sinful thought is a sin in the eyes of God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God’s word says it better.
Not really a responsive reply. If the verse was applicable, there would not be other verses that say we need to forgive each other for what is there to forgive if there is no more sin? Peter sinned by being a respecter of persons by not eating with the Gentiles when the Jews were around, etc.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope this helps you @Wrangler .

A Born Again is under grace.

The correct answer is that it's because it is impossible for any human being (besides Jesus) to perfectly obey the Ten commandments.
Not at all. It does not answer the question at all of why Jesus said to keep the Commandments - especially knowing it is impossible for us to PERFECTLY obey the 10 Commandments.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a responsive reply. If the verse was applicable, there would not be other verses that say we need to forgive each other for what is there to forgive if there is no more sin? Peter sinned by being a respecter of persons by not eating with the Gentiles when the Jews were around, etc.
How do you forgive others?

How is that possible?

Reading the word of God..must penetrate the heart/ spirit..we must be Born Again....

How do you know when you sin?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not at all. It does not answer the question at all of why Jesus said to keep the Commandments - especially knowing it is impossible for us to PERFECTLY obey the 10 Commandments.

I’ve already posted what you have typed above.

Do you understand what it means to be under God’s grace?

Romans 8:31-39

New International Version

More Than Conquerors​

31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”[a]
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited: