Why does God allow evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people lose faith in God when they see evil and natural disasters in the World. They feel that, if God is really present or really loves us, He will not allow evil. This feeling becomes even stronger, when they see children and innocent people suffer. However, it is not God, but our sins, that produce evils in the world. Sin results from selfishness and selfishness causes hurt to others. Even natural disasters, which some people erroneously refer to as “acts of God”, are result of our sins. Since we have dominion over the World (Genesis 1: 27-28), our acts of selfishness affect the balance in nature. So that when we sin by going against nature, the balance in nature is disturbed to produce natural disasters and diseases. Similarly, our evil acts directly affect others and cause them hurt. The hurt that evil produces affects everyone; including those who live holy lives. God allows evil, because, He has given us free will. He has given us free will so that we can exercise unconditional love. If we did not have free will, we will never be able to love others unconditionally, because, to love is a choice, and every choice needs a free will. God wants us to love (John 13:34), because, he wants us to have His peace and joy (John 15:11) for all eternity. Furthermore, compared to the peace and joy that God gives us in the eternal life our hurts in the present life are nothing. God heals the broken hearted We all have to go through pain and suffering, because we live in a world that has sin. God, however, brings us peace and joy by comforting us (Psalm 23, Is 57:18-21; Ps 94:19). He comforts us by being one with us in our pain and suffering. He did this by becoming one of us and freely accepting the worst form of pain and suffering. He gives us hope by overcoming pain, suffering and death through his resurrection. He gives redemptive value to pain and suffering by freeing us from sin by his own pain and suffering. He freed us from sin by completely emptying self on the cross on our behalf (Peter 2:24, 25). This helps us to accept pain and suffering in a quiet and humble manner. Our humility then opens our heart to accept God’s graces. This helps us to use our pain and suffering to overcome sin, build endurance, and become compassionate and forgiving people. God thus helps us by changing us from within. This enables us to find peace and joy by living His life.

gumby

May 29, 2009
God wants to test us, god knows we can overcome evil but the question is are we willing to. Read Luke 10:19 we dont have to put up with satins lies one second becasue were children of god.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gumby;73991]God wants to test us said:
"God wants to test us" ---pray tell ---where did you get that idea?Inquiring minds want to know.Miss Hepburn, thank you.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Revelation 21:7 and Revelation 2:7. Thats were i base my evidence, satans spirit is still roaming this earth and you must realize that thats the being were fighting here thats the hardship were enduring as christians. 2nd Timothy 2:3 commands us to endure hardship and be a soldier for god. My views are based on biblical fact not my own opinions.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Im sorry i forgot one more verse here 1st Corinthians 10:13 was the verse i was looking for. God bless miss hepburn :)

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[quote name='gumby;74091]Im sorry i forgot one more verse here 1st Corinthians 10:13 was the verse i was looking for. God bless miss hepburn :)[/QUOTE][COLOR=Purple]Thank you for the blessing' date=' btw...:)This is all very interesting to me ---because as a new Christian I talked with an oldie --she said very snottily, "God doesn't test people." I never forgot. She claimed to be so knowledgable having read the Bible from cover to cover.(So she wanted respect for anything she said!!! Let me tell you!)I read what you placed above. But, I don't see it as "tests".I'm thinking a test might be ---I'll put her in a situation and let's see how she handles it. Or I'll put $200 lost in front of her and see if she returns it or puts it in her pocket.My friend said, no, So I have been effected by that for a couple-3 years.Why then would Jesus have said "deliver us from temptation" ---what I find fascinating from that is He didn't say - "And make us strong enough to reject temptation when it comes". (not that it wouldn't)But actually deliver us FROM it entirely -not even place it there for us ---when we get delivered from something --we aren't even [U']near [/U]the place. ("Taxi driver, deliver me (away) from the ghetto.")See what I mean? As a loving Father now, after Jesus' sacrifice for us all --is God really "testing" us still?As a mother, wife, friend - do I "test" those that I love? Or just bask in their love and shower them with my love? My image of the Father is --no more tests --that may have been long ago - but no more. (Abraham)Or is it the way our human minds work that we still see some problems as actual "tests" when they are really just part of the human condition - living here....for our learning and growing - Hmm. I don't know. It could be just semantics.Thanks, Miss Hepburn[/COLOR]

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Referring to the OP...Why does God allow evil?This is a huge question and I don't know that anyone can answer it. Please let us know. :) Does God "allow" evil?"Allow" is a funny word. If a child falls out of a 3rd story window to it's death - did God allow that to happen ( Another subject is - is that evil...)Or is it just the nature of His perfect creation that there is gravity and if one teeters at a windowsill -gravity may take over. The Law of Cause and effect.A Catholic acquaintence blames God because He allowed her mother to be mugged in California. I was shocked that she was mad at GOD!!If we were to ask why does he allow evil --I think it must be followed further back ---as in: Who is God Why did He create this world with mankind along with more than 150 billion galaxies?For what purpose could all this possibly fulfill?What is in the mind of God.What is the nature of God.What does God want?These are all deep questions. Each person can study and Be still and know Him to get insightful answers for themselves, imho. Revelations have not stopped happening. Profound understandings still dawn on us and are revealed to us. Abstract insights into the meaning of scripture happen everyday.I think there is a Plan. The free will given to Lucifer, the most handsome of angels, and the rest that decided to follow him are part of the unfolding of the Drama - the Epic Plan of the Creator. Why? For His pleasure.He views things, needless to say but good to remind, from an entirely different perspective. ---for one, it is from a place of timelessness, another He knows that what may seem tragic to us - may unleash enormous lessons for those left behind while He accepts a soul into His arms in the after life, possibly.I better end this, it's getting long.Thank you for the question,:) Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to be bold here, arunangelo, and tell a story that comes from India...it may not fit into your belief system, but at the same time it may make it's point regardless. If it doesn't, well, it's just a story.A student and a teacher are walking along a dirt road. The student asks, "Why did that man who is so good just get robbed?"Further, "And why did the village bad man - just find 5 gold coins under the tree?"The teacher answers, "What you do not know is the good man was supposed to be robbed and also strung up upside down from that tree and beaten mercilessly because of past bad deeds...but because he attended a meeting to listen about God - his karma has been reduced to just this.""And what you do not know about the seemingly bad man - is he was supposed to have found a chest filled with gold coins ---but he did not attend a gathering for God - so his karma was lessoned to only the 5 coins." Thus, making the point to attend gatherings praising God.I tried to Westernize the story a bit. The point being for me that what appears to be is not what it always seems --another reason for being humble and never presuming anything - and never ever judge.:)

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Miss Hepburn;74095][COLOR=purple]Thank you for the blessing said:
This is all very interesting to me ---because as a new Christian I talked with an oldie --she said very snottily, "God doesn't test people." I never forgot. She claimed to be so knowledgable having read the Bible from cover to cover.(So she wanted respect for anything she said!!! Let me tell you!) I read what you placed above. But, I don't see it as "tests". I'm thinking a test might be ---I'll put her in a situation and let's see how she handles it. Or I'll put $200 lost in front of her and see if she returns it or puts it in her pocket.My friend said, no, So I have been effected by that for a couple-3 years. Why then would Jesus have said "deliver us from temptation" ---what I find fascinating from that is He didn't say - "And make us strong enough to reject temptation when it comes". (not that it wouldn't)But actually deliver us FROM it entirely -not even place it there for us ---when we get delivered from something --we aren't even near the place. ("Taxi driver, deliver me (away) from the ghetto.") See what I mean? As a loving Father now, after Jesus' sacrifice for us all --is God really "testing" us still? As a mother, wife, friend - do I "test" those that I love? Or just bask in their love and shower them with my love? My image of the Father is --no more tests --that may have been long ago - but no more. (Abraham) Or is it the way our human minds work that we still see some problems as actual "tests" when they are really just part of the human condition - living here....for our learning and growing - Hmm. I don't know. It could be just semantics. Thanks, Miss Hepburn
Our test is as it was long ago.... Deuteronomy 13:3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.The great tribulation is a time of testing, of being proven to see if we "hearken unto the words of that prophet," the false prophet, or hearken to His Words.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Whirlwind,Now, see what I mean? Doesnt seem like much of a test to me.Either you harken or you don't. Pretty simple.It's probably me being hung up on the one word "test" because that friend was sooo intense about it.We have hardships and tough times and decisions -sure -but a "test" ---seems to be a "choice" to me. Like - right now - I have a choice to harken to Him inside -- is that a "test" or a "pleasurable choice". If we are always being tested and stumbling - it seems it's like training a puppy ---God will just pick us up again and help us along our way.But, that's ok, again it's just the word itself -no biggy.( The quote you gave was again from the OT. What's the "great tribulation", who's the "false prophet"? Seems pretty easy for a Bible believing Christian not to fall for false stuff -I'm pretty new at this. Sorry, I'm making you be a teacher.)Thanks, I love talking about this stuff, Miss Hepburn

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Miss Hepburn;74107][COLOR=purple]Hi Whirlwind said:
Now, see what I mean? Doesnt seem like much of a test to me.Either you harken or you don't. Pretty simple. It's probably me being hung up on the one word "test" because that friend was sooo intense about it. We have hardships and tough times and decisions -sure -but a "test" ---seems to be a "choice" to me. Like - right now - I have a choice to harken to Him inside -- is that a "test" or a "pleasurable choice". If we are always being tested and stumbling - it seems it's like training a puppy ---God will just pick us up again and help us along our way.But, that's ok, again it's just the word itself -no biggy. ( The quote you gave was again from the OT. What's the "great tribulation", who's the "false prophet"? Seems pretty easy for a Bible believing Christian not to fall for false stuff -I'm pretty new at this. Sorry, I'm making you be a teacher.) Thanks, I love talking about this stuff,Miss Hepburn
I love talking about it too. :) A test is indeed a choice but this isn't "easy." It is easy to love Him but Satan is with us, pretending to be loving and holy, all the while feeding us deception. He is the "false prophet" and we're warned about him throughout the Old and New Testament. The great tribulation is when we are tested, proven, to see if we stay true to the Father or fall off into idolatry, the great apostasy. Many Christians that have loved Christ all their loves will do just that....it is written. So, it isn't just that we must be "Bible believing Christians" but we must know what He told us about this approaching time. We have to understand that Satan comes first, pretending to be Christ, saying he'll rapture us away. That is the test. The elect will know he is the fake and wait for the true Savior but...most won't. They will believe the "false prophet."

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In your opinion how do you picture or think that could be done --I mean, how could loving Christians be fooled so easily? I find it hard to believe -but maybe if I had an example.Thanks :)

gumby

May 29, 2009
Miss Hepburn;74095][COLOR=purple]Thank you for the blessing said:
This is all very interesting to me ---because as a new Christian I talked with an oldie --she said very snottily, "God doesn't test people." I never forgot. She claimed to be so knowledgable having read the Bible from cover to cover.(So she wanted respect for anything she said!!! Let me tell you!) I read what you placed above. But, I don't see it as "tests". I'm thinking a test might be ---I'll put her in a situation and let's see how she handles it. Or I'll put $200 lost in front of her and see if she returns it or puts it in her pocket.My friend said, no, So I have been effected by that for a couple-3 years. Why then would Jesus have said "deliver us from temptation" ---what I find fascinating from that is He didn't say - "And make us strong enough to reject temptation when it comes". (not that it wouldn't)But actually deliver us FROM it entirely -not even place it there for us ---when we get delivered from something --we aren't even near the place. ("Taxi driver, deliver me (away) from the ghetto.") See what I mean? As a loving Father now, after Jesus' sacrifice for us all --is God really "testing" us still? As a mother, wife, friend - do I "test" those that I love? Or just bask in their love and shower them with my love? My image of the Father is --no more tests --that may have been long ago - but no more. (Abraham) Or is it the way our human minds work that we still see some problems as actual "tests" when they are really just part of the human condition - living here....for our learning and growing - Hmm. I don't know. It could be just semantics. Thanks, Miss Hepburn
Ok lets use this anoligy shall we, in school when you took a test you always learned something from it and ended up having more knowledge and respect for your teacher, thats the way it is with god As 1st Corinthians 10:13 says though gods not going to overload our bucket and provide us with a test that we cant pass, no no hes our father and he loves his children to much to see them fail and the only way if someone would fail is if they were just plain ignorant to the scriptures and would not even love and accept god. Romans 8:17 even says that if we suffer with christ that we shall be glorified with him. I would also like to talk about one denying christ, that in itself is a test because antichrist will come and many people will fail that test so this is what scripture says about the person that denys christ, Matthew 10:33 and Luke 12:9. And my only advice to your freind would be to read the scriptures that i posted and to prepare for antichrist comeing because thats the final test, trial, endurance for us if we can defeat antichrist in our homes churches and schools not only at the end but now we have the victory and its smooth sailing. I encourage you though to be a strong and brave child of god as well as your freind :)

hx8

Oct 24, 2009
The Lord does not only allow evil, he creates it, even as he has said:Isa45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.Isa45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.Amos3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?Amos3:4 Will a lion roar in the forest, when he has no prey? will a young lion cry out of his den, if he have taken nothing?Amos3:5 Can a bird fall in a snare upon the earth, where no gin is for him? shall one take up a snare from the earth, and have taken nothing at all?Amos3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD has not done it?Amos3:7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he reveals his secret unto his servants the prophets.Amos3:8 The lion has roared, who will not fear? the Lord GOD has spoken, who can but prophesy?Zep1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, that I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in their heart, The LORD will not do good, neither will he do evil.Zep1:13 Therefore their goods shall become a booty, and their houses a desolation: they shall also build houses, but not inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, but not drink the wine thereof.Jer45:5 And you seek great things for yourself? seek them not: for, behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, says the LORD: but your life will I give unto you for a prey in all places where you go.The Lord does not only allow evil, he creates evil, just like the Bible which was written before time began says.And when he does evil, it is called justice. See Deuteronomy 28, which includes the blessings that come upon the faithful, and the curses that come upon the unfaithful. Cancer, blindness, madness, so many things, come upon them that break the law. Now, everyone breaks the law, which explains the sicknesses in the world. But, Christ through his sacrificial death on the cross has broken that curse, as it is written, cursed is any man that hangs from a tree. He became a curse for us, so that we could be the righteousness of God. He became sin on the cross, so we could be freed from the curse of sin. Because of sin at the tower of babel, languages were mixed up. But because of Christ on the day of pentecost, men could hear the apostles speaking in their own language-- the curse has been reversed. we that now live, live by faith.Rom7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?Rom7:2 For the woman which has an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he lives; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.Rom7:3 So then if, while her husband lives, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.Rom7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.Rom7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.Rom7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.Rom7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.Rom7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.Rom7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.Rom7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.Rom7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.Rom7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hhhhhhhh, What a researcher you are - and also you type it out for us!Well, in this world that God has created in this dimension ---you can not have up without down, you can not have white without black -but, most of all, you can not have vanilla without chocolate. That's just the way it is here.;) Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does seem as if the word "test" here is more relating to Jesus and choosing Him rather than a false prophet.Actually, where this question for me started was, I told my oldie Christian that a mutual friend found $200 in a drive thru bank canister and took it!!! ( I said, "What!!!" She has plenty of money and doesn't need it!!!)She said, "What kind of person leaves $200?" ---I said, "A person with a migraine and 3 kids in the car messing with the radio and has a cell phone ringing as she knows she's late !!"She said, "Well, she deserved it!" I explained that the teller would have known exactly who to give it back to. So as I told the story to my oldie friend, I said -"God keeps testing her and she keeps failing!" That's when the oldie friend said, snottily, "God doesn't test."But, I understand it in the contexts you all have shown.And I read alot of good scripture bec of you guys!:)Miss Hepburn

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Heres a sticky one. God is love, evil has no love, so if God is love , how can God create evil ???, would love send evil to someone it loves ??? Thats completely against the nature of God.In His Love

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth;74144]Heres a sticky one. God is love said:
Ahh, a brain teaser, I see. Not so sticky to me... I believe this is easy.I may be beautiful -but I can easily create a clay bust in art class that is very very ugly - has no beauty in it. Does it lessen my beauty - does my beauty influence the ugly piece? I dare say, it makes me look even more beautiful - and the piece even uglier- when we are compared.And I would not give this ugly piece to anyone I loved. It would not be in my nature either.;) Miss Hepburn

Diana

Nov 1, 2009
God does not cause evil nor does He cause man to sin (James 1:13). God allows evil to happen because He values mankind's freedom. God gave us free will, and it is through our free will that we can choose to either follow God or follow Satan. He gave us free will because God does not want to force us to love Him and follow Him. True love comes when one freely loves and follows God according to his/her choice. Also, God does not create evil. The book of Isaiah is simply saying that God created storms, earthquakes, hurricanes. To man, these storms are evil because they can destroy; therefore, the prophet Isaiah considered these storms evil, but they are simply storms and there is no evil intent in them.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[quote name='Diana;74230]God does not cause evil nor does He cause man to sin (James 1:13). God allows evil to happen because He values mankind's freedom. God gave us free will' date=' and it is through our free will that we can choose to either follow God or follow Satan. He gave us free will because God does not want to force us to love Him and follow Him. True love comes when one freely loves and follows God according to his/her choice. Also, God does not create evil. The book of Isaiah is simply saying that God created storms, earthquakes, hurricanes. To man, these storms are evil because they can destroy; therefore, the prophet Isaiah considered these storms evil, but they are simply storms and there is no evil intent in them.[/QUOTE']Yay, someone who gets it. Simply storms -you got that right.Welcome here, sis. Boy, is there alot to read here to catch up on!;) Miss HepburnGuam?!!! I just noticed.