Why Doesn't God Heal Amputees?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here with a few questions to ask of all you who are here. Essentially, I was raised a Christian, but lately I have been having some serious doubts about the existence of God in particular. I have a bunch of tough questions that I simply don't have answers for, so I'm hoping that asking other Christians will give me a possible answer...At any rate, my question for right now is, why doesn't God heal amputees? Now, I know that God certainly doesn't have an obligation to heal anyone, so that's not what I'm asking. But if we assume that God heals people and performs miracles in the world today, then why don't we ever hear stories of amputees' limbs being regrown miraculously?It doesn't make sense to me that God would choose to heal some people with cancer, or with diseases, or with infirmities, but no people with missing limbs. Certainly it's not more difficult for Him to do so, and certainly healing these people would have the same benefits (i.e. bringing others to salvation, furthering the ministry of the healed person, etc.) as healing other, more internal illnesses. So why do we never see faithful, believing amputees healed?Thanks in advance. Hopefully this hasn't come across as me trying to start a fight - this is a genuine question from a person seeking a genuine answer...

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Oh my gosh! I typed up a whole detailed explanation and I got a page load error. :mad:In general, God does heal amputees. Luke 22:49-51, Simon Peter sliced off Malchus' right ear and Jesus reattached it.If Jesus can multiply a few loaves of bread and fish to feed thousands of people, then He could obviously heal amputees. After all, He did speak the world into existence.God Isn't required to heal people at all. God also Isn't required to solve world hunger or establish peace. God is not required to do anything. However, He does allow His followers (ie. Christians) to heal others, He gives them the ability. But it's so that he could receive glory. You see, it's not about us or the world, It's about God. That might seem backwards from popular belief, but that's the truth. And the people who do perform the healing miracles, God bless them, were only able to do so after many years of strictly following the Lord. That takes A LOT of faith.If you're looking for proof of God, remember this. If you draw neigh to Him, He'll draw neigh to you. That's the only way, He's not required to show Himself to you if you can't even tell if He's real.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
That is a hard one and a tough pill for those living it. The question is not much different than asking why God just doesn't save everyone or why any affliction at all for Christians (or anybody). Why does He allow evil, suffering has been a debated thru the ages.When I see people like the quad with metal lower legs trying to make the Olympic team (and almost did), it reminds me that God can heal in many ways. It is our spirit that matters most and in the end, the spirit is in the most need of healing. Knowing nothing else about his story, I would be willing to bet that this yound man's spirit was crushed when he lost his legs and a pretty good bet that his spirit was/is healed now. So while maybe not a sastisfying answer for all, in a way that really matters the most he was healed and that healing also probably effects others even more than had he been given new legs (though certainly that would be astounding news).If my body is made perfect in healing and I end up in Hell, then it didn't do me much good. On the other hand a life here of horrible affliction compared to an eternity of bliss is nothing. The promise and hope for all is that the way things are now is not the way things will always be and that comes from God healing the spirit

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(jeffhughes;55823)
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here with a few questions to ask of all you who are here. Essentially, I was raised a Christian, but lately I have been having some serious doubts about the existence of God in particular. I have a bunch of tough questions that I simply don't have answers for, so I'm hoping that asking other Christians will give me a possible answer...At any rate, my question for right now is, why doesn't God heal amputees? Now, I know that God certainly doesn't have an obligation to heal anyone, so that's not what I'm asking. But if we assume that God heals people and performs miracles in the world today, then why don't we ever hear stories of amputees' limbs being regrown miraculously?It doesn't make sense to me that God would choose to heal some people with cancer, or with diseases, or with infirmities, but no people with missing limbs. Certainly it's not more difficult for Him to do so, and certainly healing these people would have the same benefits (i.e. bringing others to salvation, furthering the ministry of the healed person, etc.) as healing other, more internal illnesses. So why do we never see faithful, believing amputees healed?Thanks in advance. Hopefully this hasn't come across as me trying to start a fight - this is a genuine question from a person seeking a genuine answer...
Yes, it is puzzling when we wonder where God is at times as He seems that He does not answer prayer or heal. After all, how do we even know that we are worshiping the right God as opposed to a delusion? We lost a precious 2-year-old boy in my brother's side of the family due to a drowning. Where was God? Should He fire that guardian angel?There are several things to consider. First of all, we are like this because of our sinful condition, and the bible teaches that creation went with it. It's a choice we made after being adequately warned but failed to follow, and then we want to turn around and put the blame on God. The parent warned the child of the consequences, and I'm sure those parents did not want their little one to drown any more than God wanted us to experience the heartache and death of sin. Yet, had we not been given a CHOICE in the matter at least, we'd be nothing more than robotic clones without a free will, and hence would not be a true entity.Secondly, Jesus already said that we would have tribulation in this world. But he overcame the world. Now that shows something bad presently with a hint of glory later. If God would have said that everything would be peaches and cream, then we could find fault. However, he did not say that. Therefore he is clear of any rightful judgment because He again warned us---- we have to stop trying to fit God into our own terms and then blame Him for the consequences.Thirdly, look at Christ. He suffered and died like any of us do, but He rose again, a precursor to what will one day happen to all. This is the crux of the Christian faith. All other major religions, and by their own admission, have a dead leader. You can find their graves on the Internet. however, Jesus seems to be the only guy who is missing here. We can go into all kinds of talk here regarding the evidence for the resurrection, but the fact that he is alive gives us hope that what he said would come to pass.And lastly, "Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done on earth....." The earthly kingdom is not here yet, but one day will. Again, in spite of all the suffering and sickness, if God one day promises a future restoration as foreshadowed by the resurrection, then again it is a matter of not wondering "why" NOW, but what will happen and we will ultimately get healing.The two flaws I find with skeptics are these: they want to control (or define) God on their terms and secondly they want all this to happen NOW when indeed God works out of space and time in eternity instead. These two views are rather myopic and such a person will never be satisfied even with miracles they would probably ask why they were not done another way (like a kid who's never satisfied with whatever one gets them). In other words, even with a witnessed healing, skeptics will STILL find some fault and question God's existence. The lack of assurance is within themselves, not with God.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(jeffhughes;55823)
A good question. I hope I can shed some light on this subject.Consider Jacob (Genesis 32:22-31)... Jacob was given a limp and was required to lean on God because of it. Without it, Jacob would not have known God in the same way that he did. Perhaps the problem is that *we see amputees as ill*, or that amputees see themselves as ill, when in fact, they are just the way God intended them.
By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff." (Hebrews 11:21)​
Jacob leaned on a staff because of an encounter he had with the Lord earlier in his life. Though Jacob was ultimately a man of God, he was also a bit of a con-man at times. God decided that a limp was exactly what Jacob needed to walk with Him, odd as that may seem. For Jacob, this was a physical imperfection in one of his limbs, and God could have just restored, but did not.So then, why did Jesus restore an ear? We read stories about how Jesus restored the ear of the soldier in Luke 22:49-51. Peter chopped off a soldier's ear when Jesus was on His way to the cross. So, we believe another miracle of Jesus is possible... that a part of the body can be miraculously restored, in full, if God so chooses. We believe that God is powerful and able to do anything. He did speak the world into existance after all. But, like you said... God is certainly not obligated to heal anyone, and I personally have never heard of such a healing before (restoring a limb). So, why did Jesus restore the soldier's ear? There must be a reason for this special healing of restoring a limb.It could be because Jesus was going to the cross and He has revealed Himself as the Son of God. He has already been doing miraculous works, and asside from miracles that would obviously interfere w/ God's plan of sending Him to the cross, Jesus did many things to show that He is who He said he was. Jesus told us that even if we can't believe Him for His words... we should believe Him for the miracles He worked. The reason Jesus restored this limb (the ear) could be because if Jesus did nothing about a disciple (Peter) lopping an ear off of a soldier, it would have gone down in history as a terrible witness. "See," we might say, "Peter chopped off the ear of the soldier and so should we." Jesus needed to correct the mistake. Jesus needed to show us that it was wrong, and He even *made efforts to restore what was wrongly taken away by Peter*.The way I look at it, is an amputee isn't sick. It has already been decided that living without that limb (or limbs) is what is best. They are not sick. It would sort of be like praying about a flu I had 2 years ago, "Lord, remember when I got that flu two years ago, and I got really sick? I know I'm over it now... but I pray that you would make it so that I didn't have to go through that. I pray that it would be that I didn't have to have that flu two years ago." We may not be sick *now*, but we were sick *then* and God decided it was best for us go live through it, and live the way we are now. An amputee has had something taken away, in God's sovereignty... and unless there is a special point to prove, an amputee isn't sick, and I don't forsee much reason for God to restore what He has already decided is best to be removed.I think *our problem* is in looking at amputees as if they are sick, when in fact they are perfectly fine just the way they are. Like Jacob, it may be (or should be) the very thing that causes them to lean on their staff, and worship God.I don't know if that is a good answer or not, but it's a thought.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
That's an excellent point regarding amputees, treeoflife. After all, being without a limb may be viewed as an inconvenience like being near-sighted or hard of hearing, but it not per se to be lumped in with a situation such as terminal cancer.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
Hi there,Thanks for the responses so far. I think my question needs a bit of clarification, as the first few people didn't seem to get what I was saying (although I probably just didn't explain it well enough). My question is not, "Why does God allow amputated limbs?" or "Why does God heal some people but not others?" My question is really one of statistics.God does miracles in this world in order to advance His purposes, correct? Whether that purpose is to help others believe, or to help the healed person continue ministering to non-Christians, it all is done for some purpose. So people with whatever condition, whether as big as cancer or as small as the flu, can be healed by God when He deems that it is going to help. Like the man born blind in the Bible, Jesus said that sometimes we have afflictions simply so that God's power can be revealed to overcome them. And that's fine. I understand that.My question is, what is different about amputees that God chooses not to heal any of them? (Excluding the guy's ear mentioned in the Bible. Right now I'd like to deal specifically with current miracles.) If we see, let's say, 5% of people with cancer healed, and 5% of people with blindness healed, and 5% of deaf people healed, then why do we see 0% of amputees healed? I understand that amputation is not really a "sickness" per se, like treeoflife mentioned, but nevertheless they are still not a "whole" person. There are certain advantages to having two arms and two legs, which is why we have them in the first place. And certainly a person can live a whole and fulfilling life without them, but it stands to reason that in at least some of these cases, God would see fit to heal the limb.Does that clarify my question a little bit? I am perfectly fine accepting that not everyone gets healed - this is not a question of why there is sickness or evil in the world. This is just asking whether there is some distinction between missing limbs and other sicknesses that would explain why God would never heal any amputees. At any rate, thanks again for the responses, and please continue the discussion
smile.gif

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(jeffhughes;55845)
Hi there,Thanks for the responses so far. I think my question needs a bit of clarification, as the first few people didn't seem to get what I was saying (although I probably just didn't explain it well enough). My question is not, "Why does God allow amputated limbs?" or "Why does God heal some people but not others?" My question is really one of statistics.God does miracles in this world in order to advance His purposes, correct? Whether that purpose is to help others believe, or to help the healed person continue ministering to non-Christians, it all is done for some purpose. So people with whatever condition, whether as big as cancer or as small as the flu, can be healed by God when He deems that it is going to help. Like the man born blind in the Bible, Jesus said that sometimes we have afflictions simply so that God's power can be revealed to overcome them. And that's fine. I understand that.My question is, what is different about amputees that God chooses not to heal any of them? (Excluding the guy's ear mentioned in the Bible. Right now I'd like to deal specifically with current miracles.) If we see, let's say, 5% of people with cancer healed, and 5% of people with blindness healed, and 5% of deaf people healed, then why do we see 0% of amputees healed? I understand that amputation is not really a "sickness" per se, like treeoflife mentioned, but nevertheless they are still not a "whole" person. There are certain advantages to having two arms and two legs, which is why we have them in the first place. And certainly a person can live a whole and fulfilling life without them, but it stands to reason that in at least some of these cases, God would see fit to heal the limb.Does that clarify my question a little bit? I am perfectly fine accepting that not everyone gets healed - this is not a question of why there is sickness or evil in the world. This is just asking whether there is some distinction between missing limbs and other sicknesses that would explain why God would never heal any amputees. At any rate, thanks again for the responses, and please continue the discussion
smile.gif

I understand you question. But, I'm pretty sure I understood what you were asking when I first replied. No offense taken, I'm just stating that to clarify. Like you said... it could obviously be said that yes, it would seem more advantagous to have two arms rather than one. This world is more or less built by people who have two arms and two legs, for people who have two arms and two legs. Of course there are devices in place for the "handicapped."But, I think the answer comes back to whether or not the person is sick. God may not view them as sick, and maybe we should not either. There is nothing terminally ill about their condition. Like Jacob, it may cause them to lean, or be in pain from time to time, but I believe that is God's sovereign choice, and it could (should) be the very thing that causes them to attain MORE GLORY for God in their life. The reason statistically why amputees are not given limbs... is because God is already trying to work a miracle out in their life, as a "handicapped" person, just like Jacob. They are not sick.I would also find it advantagous to have five or six cars... two or three houses... twelve children... but some people can't (and shouldn't) have those things. Some people can't produce children, and at best will be left with adoption. I think an amputee should see that they are they way they are because that is the way God needs them to be... and hopefully will come to no longer ask God to restore a limb... but to thank Him that He has taken it away. Though, I'm not saying this is the answer... but I do think it is at least part of it, and I think it is something to consider.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(treeoflife;55847)
I understand you question. But, I'm pretty sure I understood what you were asking when I first replied. No offense taken, I'm just stating that to clarify. Like you said... it could obviously be said that yes, it would seem more advantagous to have two arms rather than one. This world is more or less built by people who have two arms and two legs, for people who have two arms and two legs. Of course there are devices in place for the "handicapped."But, I think the answer comes back to whether or not the person is sick. God may not view them as sick, and maybe we should not either. There is nothing terminally ill about their condition. Like Jacob, it may cause them to lean, or be in pain from time to time, but I believe that is God's sovereign choice, and it could (should) be the very thing that causes them to attain MORE GLORY for God in their life. The reason statistically why amputees are not given limbs... is because God is already trying to work a miracle out in their life, as a "handicapped" person, just like Jacob. They are not sick.I would also find it advantagous to have five or six cars... two or three houses... twelve children... but some people can't (and shouldn't) have those things. Some people can't produce children, and at best will be left with adoption. I think an amputee should see that they are they way they are because that is the way God needs them to be... and hopefully will come to no longer ask God to restore a limb... but to thank Him that He has taken it away. Though, I'm not saying this is the answer... but I do think it is at least part of it, and I think it is something to consider.
I see what you're saying. And to a certain extent it makes sense. But it still seems to me to be a justification rather than an explanation, if that makes any sense to you. What about, say, someone with chronic arthritis? This is an example where the person is not "sick," nor are they overly disadvantaged for it (although there are certain things they cannot do), and it causes pain from time to time. I think this is a good parallel to amputation, according to how you've laid it out. But I remember hearing of a case in my church where a lady was "healed" of arthritis in her hands. She used to play the organ once upon a time, but eventually her arthritis got so bad that she couldn't play anymore. Then she went to some sort of "healing service," got healed, and the next week she told the church about it and played the organ for us all. Here we have a case where God obviously saw it fit to heal her of arthritis (if indeed it was God, which is somewhat debatable).I'm not trying to argue with you, here. Please know that. I'm just trying to get at the truth of the matter, and your help is appreciated. I'm just offering up a counter-example to your post to see if it can be explained. If it can, then great! If not, then I must keep searching...

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(jeffhughes;55849)
I see what you're saying. And to a certain extent it makes sense. But it still seems to me to be a justification rather than an explanation, if that makes any sense to you. What about, say, someone with chronic arthritis? This is an example where the person is not "sick," nor are they overly disadvantaged for it (although there are certain things they cannot do), and it causes pain from time to time. I think this is a good parallel to amputation, according to how you've laid it out. But I remember hearing of a case in my church where a lady was "healed" of arthritis in her hands. She used to play the organ once upon a time, but eventually her arthritis got so bad that she couldn't play anymore. Then she went to some sort of "healing service," got healed, and the next week she told the church about it and played the organ for us all. Here we have a case where God obviously saw it fit to heal her of arthritis (if indeed it was God, which is somewhat debatable).I'm not trying to argue with you, here. Please know that. I'm just trying to get at the truth of the matter, and your help is appreciated. I'm just offering up a counter-example to your post to see if it can be explained. If it can, then great! If not, then I must keep searching...
Just keep in mind that sometimes the equation isn't going to be perfectly balanced until we get to heaven. But, bless you on your search.
smile.gif

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
I don't mean to be insulting here but to say that God doesn't heal amputees you would need to personally know every person on this planet. None of us personally know every person on this planet. How do we know that God hasn't healed an amputee and we just haven't heard about it. Coming from New Zealand I don't hear about the revivals that happen in America. I only know about them if I happen across them on the internet. This doesn't mean healings don't happen in them just because I have never heard about it.My husband is an amputee so I am speaking from experience - he has a below the knee amputation. Most people we know don't know my husband is an amputee as he wears trousers. If my husband got healed most people wouldn't believe him as they already thought he had two good legs. I would know and his medical records would show it but most people still wouldn't believe it. Taking this as an example how does any of us know that God didn't heal an amputee and that the amputee was ridiculed enough that they just stopped talking about it. As I said at the beginning; just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
That's true, but stories like these do have a habit of getting passed around. Even if they're not true. I'm sure you've received email forwards from well-meaning Christians about an "amazing miracle" that has happened - of course, it's been passed around for years, nobody knows who wrote it, and so there's no way to check and see if it's even true. But even among the stories told by friends of friends of friends, we never see stories of amputees being healed miraculously.At any rate, you're right - it's possible that it is happening and we're just not hearing about it. But considering that we hear about cancer being healed, we hear about blind people being healed, we hear about all sorts of stuff like that - you'd think that we'd be hearing at least some stories about amputated limbs growing back. I don't think it's a fair assumption to say that all the former amputees are too scared to talk about it. I'm pretty sure that if I had my arm or leg grow back, I'd be telling people left, right, and center, and anyone who would listen to me, and I'd whack them over the head with my now-disconnected prosthetic limb if they didn't believe me. And as well, though most people might not believe your husband, you would also be there to back up his story. People are more likely to listen to two people (or three, or four...) than to just one. But at any rate, point taken. I just don't think that it completely explains the lack of hearing about amputation healings.(And just for the record, I did a Google search looking for stories of amputees being healed, and all I really found were a bunch of atheists pointing to the fact that they aren't healed, and a bunch of Christians pointing to the Bible to explain why He can rather than pointing to evidence of Him actually doing it.)

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
Jeff the thing is that if I had no computer, and many don't, I would no nothing of the revivals happening in America. Does this mean they didn't happen? Of course not. Not everything that happens in this world is put on the net. You seem to be stuck with the idea that because you have a pc then you would hear about it. I don't have a tv and therefore don't watch any programs on it but does it mean the programs don't exist? I don't watch or read the news but does that mean the news didn't happen? You need to understand that just because don't hear of it doesn't mean it didn't happen. As an example: I am epileptic and 10 years ago God healed me of the attacks but i never went and put it on the net. I told some people and they never went and put it on the net. Using your premise that you googled and found nothing then God can't be healing, then I wasn't healed from my attacks because if you googled to find if God healed me then you wouldn't find it. This is the first mention I have made of it on the net. You are wrong to think that just because you can't find it then it didn't happen.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the answer is a little more simple than most would like: faith. Jesus routinely cautioned folks not to tell others that he had performed a miracle and healed them, the reason being he didn't want people coming to him simply because he could heal - furthermore its why people that touched his garment were healed. The thing about someone returning from the brink of death with a terminal issue is that even after the fact, it can be chalked up to that gray area known as the "medical miracle" category for which there isn't currently an explanation. So you have to choose, do you believe God did this or do you believe it was a random positive occurrence that we just can't explain right now.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(Nyoka;55875)
Using your premise that you googled and found nothing then God can't be healing, then I wasn't healed from my attacks because if you googled to find if God healed me then you wouldn't find it. This is the first mention I have made of it on the net. You are wrong to think that just because you can't find it then it didn't happen.
Don't you think that something like this would spread like wildfire, though? I mean, here we have an honest-to-goodness, absolutely unquestionable miracle (I mean, at least assuming that it can be verified that the person was an amputee beforehand). Christians would camp on it and spread it around as wonderful news of completely incontrovertible proof of God's existence. Why? Because amputation is something that absolutely no doctor can "fix." There is absolutely no explanation for it OTHER than that a) the person is secretly a lizard of some kind, or
cool.gif
that God exists and has healed the person.You're absolutely right. I can't assume that just because it's not on the Internet, or just because I haven't heard about it, that it hasn't happened. But I happen to think that Christians feel they are under attack enough from all sides that they would use any unexplainable miracle like this to their every advantage. And I don't see that...(Denver;55878)
I think the answer is a little more simple than most would like: faith. Jesus routinely cautioned folks not to tell others that he had performed a miracle and healed them, the reason being he didn't want people coming to him simply because he could heal - furthermore its why people that touched his garment were healed. The thing about someone returning from the brink of death with a terminal issue is that even after the fact, it can be chalked up to that gray area known as the "medical miracle" category for which there isn't currently an explanation. So you have to choose, do you believe God did this or do you believe it was a random positive occurrence that we just can't explain right now.
That's exactly why I ask about amputation specifically, Denver. There is that "gray area" with most "healings," where it could be some sort of placebo effect, or a person with an incredibly good immune system, or whatever. After all, terminal illnesses are not really considered "terminal" because everyone dies from them - they are terminal because in the incredibly large majority of cases, people die from them. But amputations really don't fit into this category, which make them a prime target for God to show His power. Here we have an omnipotent and loving God who has every ability to heal these people and show His power over EVERYthing. But we don't see Him doing it. And that troubles me...

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's exactly why I ask about amputation specifically, Denver. There is that "gray area" with most "healings," where it could be some sort of placebo effect, or a person with an incredibly good immune system, or whatever. After all, terminal illnesses are not really considered "terminal" because everyone dies from them - they are terminal because in the incredibly large majority of cases, people die from them. But amputations really don't fit into this category, which make them a prime target for God to show His power. Here we have an omnipotent and loving God who has every ability to heal these people and show His power over EVERYthing. But we don't see Him doing it. And that troubles me...
The answer to that is simple. It's faith. Either you believe, or you don't. That's what it comes down to, it's the very same answer to your new other thread. It's not a crutch, it's not a copout. It's the way it is, either you believe or you don't. If you don't, that's the choice you've made.I Corinthians 1:18-24
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

HillTop

Jul 25, 2008
The underlying premise of your questions troubles me, as I see one of God's children seemingly slipping away. Prov. 3:5 tells us to "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding". People today, myself included, have a hard time with this passage because it's natural for us to think we have all the answers at our fingertips (i.e. internetz). Or maybe because we are well-educated in the secular world.I'm not addressing the amputee issue here because that's not what you are really wanting to know. You are seeking a validation of God's existence since you have no solid, recent proof that He has regrown someone's lost limb. Take a step back and ask yourself why, as a Christian, you would vehemently push this topic. Then get back in the Word and pray.The only way to know if there is a God is to know God. And He has already done the dirty work for you. I will be praying for you, as I'm sure the rest of your brothers and sisters in Christ will also.In Christ's Love,Scott

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(jeffhughes;55845)
smile.gif

Why do only some loose limbs?? Would be my question. Of course God could heal them if he choose, But why does this happen to some in the first place? Life's answer, we all have something to overcome. Is someone that is extremely emotionally troubled any better off than one who has learned the value of life ?that it is more than having all ones limbs??Every amputee will tell you they still feel their limbs as if they were still there they even have phantom pains where no physical limb exists. This is because their spirit Body has all its limbs only the flesh part can be lost. As far as God is concerned, he is only concerned with the state of one's heart/soul not the flesh, Often the person who lost their limb is a better person for having these physical disabilities to overcome, In my experience most become more spiritual, setting amazing examples for those of us with all our limbs. Who hasn't been inspired by someone who has over come great physical disabilities.Perhaps God allows a person to lose a limb for the sake of inspiring others who have much less to deal with but do think they can overcome. Perhaps the person who lost the limb would have made really bad choices in his life had he not been forced to re-evaluate his life through this accident. I dont think we have all the answers here but I think as others have said in this thread. Sense we do not know all the answers we have to trust that God does have the answers and have faith to trust in that. I think many have thought at times in their lives they could not overcome what they were faced with and found God had given them the strength they didnt know they had. I find this to be true of many amputee's

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(jeffhughes;55823)
The fact is that Jesus has already paid the price for our healing, Including amputees,Why people don't get healed, or have limbs grow by the power of God, comes down to three reasons.[1] Lack of knowledge, If they don't know that God can do it, or will do it, Then they wont have faith to receive. "Faith comes by hearing, hearing by the word of God" Rom 10: 17.[2] Lack of faith, Jesus said, "According to your faith be it unto thee" and "Thy faith has made thee whole".[3] Disobedience, disobedience could be, disobeying the Bible, disobeying the Holy Spirit, or wrong living, If we disobey God in some area it can hinder the blessings.God loves us and is always willing to touch us with His healing power. Or work a miracle for us.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(Denver;55886)
The answer to that is simple. It's faith. Either you believe, or you don't. That's what it comes down to, it's the very same answer to your new other thread. It's not a crutch, it's not a copout. It's the way it is, either you believe or you don't. If you don't, that's the choice you've made.
I understand that, and thank you Denver. I just have a hard time putting my foot down and planting my faith on something that may or may not be there. Faith is a tricky issue to deal with because in our every-day lives, faith is generally based on evidence and experience. When I go to sit on a chair, I trust that it will hold my weight based on my previous experiences with other chairs, seeing other people sitting on other chairs, etc. But having "experience" with God, to me, is a little more hazy of a concept, as I know that at least some of what I have felt as "God" in the past has simply been emotion or self-delusion. Not saying that all of it has been, but I know that at least some of it has been, so the rest becomes suspect. And without more concrete evidence at hand, how can I say, "Well this is God, but this isn't?"(HillTop;55888)
The underlying premise of your questions troubles me, as I see one of God's children seemingly slipping away. Prov. 3:5 tells us to "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding". People today, myself included, have a hard time with this passage because it's natural for us to think we have all the answers at our fingertips (i.e. internetz). Or maybe because we are well-educated in the secular world.I'm not addressing the amputee issue here because that's not what you are really wanting to know. You are seeking a validation of God's existence since you have no solid, recent proof that He has regrown someone's lost limb. Take a step back and ask yourself why, as a Christian, you would vehemently push this topic. Then get back in the Word and pray.
I see the amputee issue as one possible way to know God's existence, and a question that does not seem to have a good answer other than, "We must have faith that God knows what He's doing." Such an answer simply begs the question - we can't give evidence for the existence of God by assuming He already exists. I am not trying to "vehemently push this topic," but I'm looking for an answer that satisfies me better. If there is none, it's certainly not proof of God's NON-existence. But to me, it doesn't say much for his loving qualities.(HillTop;55888)
The only way to know if there is a God is to know God. And He has already done the dirty work for you. I will be praying for you, as I'm sure the rest of your brothers and sisters in Christ will also.
Again, this begs the question. You say that you have to know God before you can know if there is a God. That is identical to those people who push crazy theories like "psi energy" - they tell people that there must not be anyone skeptical in the room for it to work. Then if it doesn't work, they can blame it on a hidden skeptic. If it does work, then they've proved it - but only to the people who already believe in it. But the fact is that they see it because they want to see it. In other words, seeing no longer is believing - instead, believing is seeing. But I can't accept placing faith in God before knowing He exists any more than I can accept believing in psi energy without seeing proof of its existence first. I hope that makes sense. But thank you for the prayers - I understand that what I am doubting may or may not be true, but at the very least, I have to wrestle with it.(kriss;55889)
Why do only some loose limbs?? Would be my question. Of course God could heal them if he choose, But why does this happen to some in the first place? Life's answer, we all have something to overcome. Is someone that is extremely emotionally troubled any better off than one who has learned the value of life ?that it is more than having all ones limbs??
You're right - learning the value of life is certainly better than having all one's limbs. I never claimed it wasn't. But don't you agree that learning the value of life AND having all one's limbs would be EVEN better still?(kriss;55889)
Every amputee will tell you they still feel their limbs as if they were still there they even have phantom pains where no physical limb exists. This is because their spirit Body has all its limbs only the flesh part can be lost. As far as God is concerned, he is only concerned with the state of one's heart/soul not the flesh,
Coming from a psychology background, I know what you're talking about. However, not every amputee feels this, and essentially it is due to the nerve endings still transmitting signals as if the limb is still present. It has nothing to do with their "spirit body," as it has had great success in being relieved through the use of a "mirror box." Basically, they put their hand and their amputated limb in two sides of a box with a mirror in the middle facing toward the good limb. The brain sees the good hand twice and it sort of "tricks" the brain into releasing the pain associated with the hand.(kriss;55889)
In my experience most become more spiritual, setting amazing examples for those of us with all our limbs. Who hasn't been inspired by someone who has over come great physical disabilities.Perhaps God allows a person to lose a limb for the sake of inspiring others who have much less to deal with but do think they can overcome. Perhaps the person who lost the limb would have made really bad choices in his life had he not been forced to re-evaluate his life through this accident.
Oh, you're absolutely right. I'm not questioning God's judgment in allowing some to lose their limbs. Yet, the same logic applies to disease, illness, mental conditions, etc. To some people, God allows them to get cancer (as an example). But in other people, we hear claims of miracles - the cancer is miraculously healed! If God exists, then we can certainly say that He had reasons for healing one and not another. But why do we not see the same pattern with amputations? Certainly there should be reasons for healing SOME amputees. But here we only see God afflicting and never healing.(Alanforchrist;55919)
[1] Lack of knowledge, If they don't know that God can do it, or will do it, Then they wont have faith to receive. "Faith comes by hearing, hearing by the word of God" Rom 10: 17.[2] Lack of faith, Jesus said, "According to your faith be it unto thee" and "Thy faith has made thee whole".[3] Disobedience, disobedience could be, disobeying the Bible, disobeying the Holy Spirit, or wrong living, If we disobey God in some area it can hinder the blessings.God loves us and is always willing to touch us with His healing power. Or work a miracle for us.
If God loves us and "is always willing to touch us with His healing power," then you are essentially claiming that all those who are not healed are not healed because they are faithless or disobedient. Am I understanding you correctly? But I have known many people who are godly, Christian people who have died from various illnesses, though they prayed and believed in healing. I'm not trying to say that it proves God doesn't exist - merely that your conditions are not nearly adequate. I am sure that there are many godly, Christian amputees out there who have faith in God's ability to heal them and are not being disobedient. Does that mean that they are all healed? Not in the slightest. So knowledge, faith, and obedience are sufficient conditions to being healed, although they may certainly be necessary ones. In other words, there is more at play here - namely, God's decision-making process.