Why is the church so divided into different denomi-nations?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Because they have set THE church they attend to be the pillars and foundational authority over of Christ.
Christ is not divided, for the Word is the same yesterday today and forever and there is only One Word and he is the Head and the foundation of the church, not man.
Christ is the Word and the Word is God the very foundation of all things especially of God's temple.

1 Cor 3:11
11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

And who is Jesus?:

John 1:1-5
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
KJV

Blessings

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When one attends a church which is part of a denomination are you implying that individual person is putting their church as foundational authority over Christ?

What leads you to believe attenders place their individual church over Christ?

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
soupy said:
When one attends a church which is part of a denomination are you implying that individual person is putting their church as foundational authority over Christ?

What leads you to believe attenders place their individual church over Christ?
Doesn't each church have their own things they tolerate even when the Word tells us otherwise? Yet they hold on to THEIR view as if they have final authority?
Simple, the very fact that they do not adhere to the One True Word but they have picked and chosen what part of the Bread of life they want to eat of.
They must eat of the WHOLE loaf meaning all of his body if they want to claim that the Word aka Christ is their Bread of life to live by.
The thing is that only by the Spirit can one say that Jesus is Lord for the Spirit does not lead us to follow man's understanding, but will teach us in Truth.
When you create something in the image of something else, you can not leave out anything or the duplicate will not be made whole!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
afaithfulone .... you seem to be fixated on the phrase "The Word" as though that alone defines Jesus.

Every Christian on the face of the earth belongs to the church that Jesus builds.

Just as we have hundreds of different cultures we have hundreds of different denominations.

Just as we have thousands of different personalities we do not always fit into every group so we form a "denomination" that comes close to fitting our culture .

The denominations should not be seen as divisions in the church ...... they should be seen as different parts of the body of Christ.

The bible even describes the church as a body.

Some parts of the body happen to be arseholes so get over it.

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
afaithfulone4u said:
Doesn't each church have their own things they tolerate even when the Word tells us otherwise? Yet they hold on to THEIR view as if they have final authority?
Simple, the very fact that they do not adhere to the One True Word but they have picked and chosen what part of the Bread of life they want to eat of.
They must eat of the WHOLE loaf meaning all of his body if they want to claim that the Word aka Christ is their Bread of life to live by.
The thing is that only by the Spirit can one say that Jesus is Lord for the Spirit does not lead us to follow man's understanding, but will teach us in Truth.
When you create something in the image of something else, you can not leave out anything or the duplicate will not be made whole!
Nope, each church doesn't have their own thing, what experience has led you to believe what you post?

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
Afaithfulone4u,

This is what I find interesting, I bet if you went to the Baptist preachers and you asked them if they hold to the whole bible, they would tell you yes. Amazing right? And I also bet, that if you went to the Pentecostal preachers and you asked them if they hold to the whole bible, they would tell you yes. I know, crazy huh. And if I were to ask you if you believed the whole bible, you would say yes. And I bet if I went to Rapture Ready Forum ( a pretrib forum ) and I asked them if they believed the whole bible, they would say yes!

Wait..... Wait.... I think I am starting to see a pattern here.......

And I just bet if I were to ask Hammerstone if He believed the whole bible, he would say yes!! And I bet that if you were to ask me if I believe the whole bible I would say yes!!! Actually I know I would, because I believe I do :D

I wonder what all these people have in common... I think all these people, you and me included believe that we hold to the whole bible. And yet there is not a single person on that list that has exactly the same beliefs....

What does that seem to suggest to you?

Joshua David

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1Co 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul

And no, not every so called christian belongs to Jesus, you see with your eyes and yet cant see. Denominations have divided Christ all preach a different way to heaven and a different Jesus, denomintaions are formed as christians put it, " go to the church you are comfortable with" words straight form the devils mouth.

In All His Love

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
Please don't get me wrong,

I believe that there is not a single denomination that teaches the whole truth. And if you are relying on your preacher, sunday school teacher, or small group leader to teach you what is in the bible, then you are trusting man with your beliefs and not God. You have faith that what your preacher is telling you is the truth, but if you never work it out for yourself, then you are placing your faith in Man, and that is wrong. And the only way for you to work it out for yourself is to constantly challenge what you know to be 'true'.

But my point that I was trying to make is that we all make the same mistake that the 'denominations' make, which is to assume that what we believe to be true, really is the truth.

I have no qualms in saying that I could be wrong in some of my beliefs. I know that I don't have everything figured out yet. That is why I am constantly studying. I really do listen to what everyone says, and seriously considers it. But most Christians believe what they believe and adamantly refuse to admit that they might be wrong. This belief is straight up pride. And this is why we have so many different denominations today.

Joshua David

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
This is TRUE that no man has all truth by himself alone, but what I am talking about is that the Word is supposed to be the final authority, meaning what the Bible says is supposed to be the more sure Word, not what man chooses to accept.
If the church was united in Christ/the Word, they would not pick and choose what their member's are WILLING to follow because Christ is not of many different spirits, for there is just one HOLY SPIRIT and those who have the Spirit should be coming to unity in the fullness of Christ.

I am not talking about us misunderstanding about a verse, I am talking about what part of the Bible their church adhere's to as truth and what part they neglect as if part of Christ is not valid.

And yes, I do refer to Jesus as the Word, because the Bible tells us that he is the Word who was made flesh. Just another example of us not accepting the Word even when scripture is shown us.
Gen 15:1
15:1 After these things the word (JESUS THE WORD)of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
KJV

Remember The law was given till the Seed should come, the Seed being THE WORD OF GOD:
Luke 8:11
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
KJV

John 1:1-3
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
KJV

And how does God create? With His Word!

John 1:14
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
KJV

1 John 1:1-2
1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
KJV

1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
KJV

Rev 19:12-15
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
KJV

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
I believe all of the scripture is true, but I do not believe all of the scriptures apply to me.

Some of the scriptures applied to Israel from the Old Testament, but no longer apply to me today. This is why I can eat a helping of bacon and eggs in the morning, even though the bible in the Old testament calls anything from a pig unclean. Even though the scripture that calls flesh from a pig to be unclean is true, because all of the bible is true. This is also why I wouldn't drag a man and woman who committed adultery to the city limits and throw rocks at them until they were dead. Although the bible was true when it declared that stoning was the punishment for anyone committing adultery.

This is why I do not sacrifice bulls and goats, every time I sin, even though the bible was true when it calls for sin offering in the Old Testament as well as the Millennium.

Sometimes it is just a case of someone trying to decide if a certain scripture applies to them or not, even though it is in the Word.

Joshua David

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
afaithfulone4u said:
This is TRUE that no man has all truth by himself alone, but what I am talking about is that the Word is supposed to be the final authority, meaning what the Bible says is supposed to be the more sure Word, not what man chooses to accept.
If the church was united in Christ/the Word, they would not pick and choose what their member's are WILLING to follow because Christ is not of many different spirits, for there is just one HOLY SPIRIT and those who have the Spirit should be coming to unity in the fullness of Christ.

I am not talking about us misunderstanding about a verse, I am talking about what part of the Bible their church adhere's to as truth and what part they neglect as if part of Christ is not valid.

And yes, I do refer to Jesus as the Word, because the Bible tells us that he is the Word who was made flesh. Just another example of us not accepting the Word even when scripture is shown us.
Gen 15:1
15:1 After these things the word (JESUS THE WORD)of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
KJV

Remember The law was given till the Seed should come, the Seed being THE WORD OF GOD:
Luke 8:11
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
KJV

John 1:1-3

KJV

And how does God create? With His Word!

John 1:14
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
KJV

1 John 1:1-2
1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
KJV

1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
KJV

Rev 19:12-15
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
KJV
I don't understand your experience, but I don't attend a church such as you describe. My pastor encourages us to challenge anything he says, he does not pick and choose from the Bible which part to believe and follow. Nor does he tell us what we are allowed to do.
Also, I don't believe my church is right and all others are wrong, we fellowship fellowship with other churches.
If you had a bad church experience, move on, there are many good churches out there, don't think all of them are bad.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The implication is not necessary as it is a fact. If it comes to a toss up between the word of God and the Roman Catholic church, history shows quite clearly that the church wins hands down.

In a study I did of the New Testament Church (NTC) and the church today, it became glaringly obvious that those denominations that trumpet the Bible is their guide for faith and practice choose to ignore it if it clashes with their denominational dictates.

For example.....there is not one verse in the New Testament that indicates any church invited "a pastor" to come from another church to run it and be paid a salary.

There are, however, 25 verses that indicate the leadership of the NTC was the province of the Apostles, the Prophets and the Elders, the latter being older men chronologically who were chosen from within the fellowship they were members of.

I posed this question to one denomination and their response was "Oh, we don't do things that way."

In other words, whatever the scriptures says, we are not interested.

Every Christian on the face of the earth belongs to the church that Jesus builds.
And millions give credence to a religion that Jesus did not build.

Just as we have thousands of different personalities we do not always fit into every group so we form a "denomination" that comes close to fitting our culture .
Why? They didn't do this in the NTC as they loved one another so differences were irrelevant.

We have denominations because we don't love one another.

As the scripture says "We are all ONE in Christ" not "we are all divided into spiritual tribal groups" which is what denominations are.

The denominations should not be seen as divisions in the church ...... they should be seen as different parts of the body of Christ.
Anyone who is honest with themselves know quite clearly that denominationalism = division.

The scripture is very clear that different parts is related to our functioning in the body, not our division.

The bible even describes the church as a body.
Yes that is right....ONE BODY. Not a body made up of different spiritual tribal groups.

Nope, each church doesn't have their own thing, what experience has led you to believe what you post?
If that is the case, why do we have denominations? And experience is not needed as there are about 35,000 denominations worldwide so that tells us everything.

What does that seem to suggest to you?
Simple Joseph. I worked that one out a long time ago. We do not believe the Bible is the word of God. What we believe is our interpretation of the Bible is the word of God. That is why we have 35,000 denominations world wide.

I don't understand your experience, but I don't attend a church such as you describe. My pastor encourages us to challenge anything he says, he does not pick and choose from the Bible which part to believe and follow. Nor does he tell us what we are allowed to do.
That is not the norm Soupy. Why do you think that most churches have a monologue, not a dialogue as they did in the NTC?

It is harder to question a monologue. With a dialogue, it is open slather to ask whatever you want. Most pastors do not want to be held to that sort of scrutiny.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually the answer is quiet simple, if its run by men. and 99.999999999% of churches are, it is doomed to failure. Man cannot help but corrupt anything even the things of God, which mans church isnt, from God that is.

In all His Love