Why is the forum so slow?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am finding that I am too fast for the forum's computer, particularly because of the advertising overheads.

I am also disappointed that the advertisements at the bottom of the screen reduces the working area of the replying work area.

When I click on a thread to view it, and if I am not interested in the thread, I quickly click on the new posts button, but the forum script believes that I have not viewed that particular thread and so lists that thread again as a new post, but then takes me to the OP post of that thread at the start of the thread. This is frustrating

Now when you commence to reply to another post, can the script be written that it removed the advertising at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.

Reactions: Taken

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mine also. Thanks be to our glorious Lord for small amenities afforded to the senior technically challenged !

Reactions: Taken and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
particularly because of the advertising overheads.

I am also disappointed that the advertisements at the bottom of the screen reduces the working area of the replying work area.

Jay, I use Vivaldi browser. It's free. No ads and no tracking. I got it from Google PlayStore. Maybe you can find it somewhere?

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The problem is in the band width of the computer that hosts the forum. The problem is a function of how many members are online and the overarching advertising programs. I am now occasionally getting paging errors as well and have to refresh the page.

Having a program on my computer that blocks advertising does not help in this particular case.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Debp

Orkan

Jan 30, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil
bad internet speed or etc. Implementing Quality Assurance (QA) services https://www.intellectsoft.net/services/qa-and-software-testing-services/ in forum work brings manifold benefits. QA ensures the forum's functionality, enhancing user experience through bug-free interactions and reliable performance. Rigorous testing minimizes glitches, ensuring seamless navigation and robust security measures, fostering trust among users. QA's role in identifying and rectifying issues preemptively bolsters forum reliability. Moreover, it cultivates a positive community experience, improving engagement and retention. By adhering to QA practices, forums can deliver consistent, high-quality interactions, driving user satisfaction and amplifying the platform's credibility. Embracing QA services fortifies forum functionality, offering a stable and enjoyable space for users to connect and share knowledge seamlessly.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
bad internet speed

Not really. It's the forum's host computer's response times that often causes my computer to get hung up. Both the host computer and the internet have a band width that if that band width is reached chokes the interactions between the two computers.

In reality the computer I use to interact with the forum is just a dumb terminal and it is the host's computer that controls how slick the interaction is between my "dumb" computer terminal and the forum's host computer.

Yes, the internet transmission speeds can be a problem, however that is usually confined to the end connection links of the internet which may not be up to starch in the overall system. The forum owner has his part to play in providing a computer system at his end that can handle the inquiries from the members. The forum members also have a part to play in using the best technology on their end to handle the interaction between their computing device and the forum's computer.

Oh well, it really depends on all of us to fix the problem of how fast the forum can work.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Another issue is the heavy posting contents, i.e., pretty pictures overlaid with words, or videos, as these can take time to download particularly when there are twenty posts in a thread's page to be downloaded, particularly if the image is contained in a large jpg file and your internet speed is slow. I can wait for ages for the content is downloaded before I can get the "New Post" button to work.

The people posting this type of content may get a buzz from doing so because of their arty-crafty nature, but for the rest of the users they are actually frustrating. At the moment I am on a little island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean which has a population of around 2,000 people where it can cost up to $85,000.00 AUD just to get a vehicle delivered to the island on top of the actual vehicle cost. The population cannot support expensive modern "lifestyles" luxuries that are not really beneficial for them.

Back home, this overhead is tolerable but even then it is still frustrating, to download so many jpg images or videos which adds no value to the actual content on the forum.

This extra content overload slows down the host computer(s) such that I can often get timed out responses on the forum and have to hit the refresh button to actually connect to the host computer.

I am sure that the owner is also frustrated with this content overload cost.

Runningman

Dec 3, 2023
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am finding that I am too fast for the forum's computer, particularly because of the advertising overheads.

When I click on a thread to view it, and if I am not interested in the thread, I quickly click on the new posts button, but the forum script believes that I have not viewed that particular thread and so lists that thread again as a new post, but then takes me to the OP post of that thread at the start of the thread. This is frustrating

Now when you commence to reply to another post, can the script be written that it removed the advertising at the bottom of the page.

Thanks.
I haven't had any slowness issues here. Try using Brave browser. It automatically strips websites of intrusive advertisements so they don't load and, more importantly, you don't have to look at them.

Are other websites slow or is it just this one?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I haven't had any slowness issues here. Try using Brave browser. It automatically strips websites of intrusive advertisements so they don't load and, more importantly, you don't have to look at them.

As I said I am on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, around 2 hrs flight time east of Australia. Internet speed is not great. My Grandson is looking forward to getting Starlink where the internet speed will be much faster on this island.

I was not complaining about advertising but about the unnecessary overlays such as photos and videos that glogg up the data that has to be downloaded from CB. The photos may be great to look at but they do not always add to the content of the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runningman

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm using my phone to access the site and it isn't a slow site load for my connection.

I also have a browser,Duck Duck Go, that has a built in ad blocker.
I never see ad's. If a site has a lot of Advertising, depending on the type, animated especially, that takes a lot of time to load. Depending on the number of ad's per page too. And their location.

Reactions: Runningman

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm using my phone to access the site and it isn't a slow site load for my connection.

I also have a browser,Duck Duck Go, that has a built in ad blocker.
I never see ad's. If a site has a lot of Advertising, depending on the type, animated especially, that takes a lot of time to load. Depending on the number of ad's per page too. And their location.

Your experience if you were in a remote location in the middle of the Pacific Ocean may be very different. On the island I am on at present, the small population of less than 2,000 people, cannot afford a high-speed internet, and people are now purchasing star link devices with an initial higher set up cost, to enjoy higher internet speed access at around the same internet download costs that they are presently paying..

What I am suggesting is that the pictures and videos etc that are being loaded onto the CB site are one of the reasons that the CB computer is slow to respond. I often get messages that the CB forum site is slow to respond and has timed out and I then need to refresh my inquiry of the CB site.

On this island your phone, like mine, will not work to access the internet.