Why many people think they've already saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

peacekim1004

Oct 11, 2015
[SIZE=20pt]Why many people think they've already saved? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]I extracted some phrases from the book "Eternal Gospel"[/SIZE]
[link removed]
[SIZE=14pt]People who do not pick up their crosses cannot be saved[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Why cannot people be saved if they do not take up their crosses? This book The Eternal Gospel explains why and how people must take up their crosses. Many people think that all their sins have been forgiven because Jesus Christ once died on the cross and bore all their sins of their past, present and future. They misunderstand that they are saved by just believing these facts. People do not think they have to take up their own crosses to actualize Christ’s blood and grace in their lives. However, the Bible clearly testifies that a person, who does not take up his cross, will not be saved because he cannot follow the Lord.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Only those people who take up their crosses follow the Lord (LK9:23, 24). The thoughts of the Bible are different from the thoughts of man (IS55:8, 9). If a man wants to be saved, he must know the thoughts of the Bible; for man cannot be saved if he does not live by the Bible. If a man wants to be saved and rest forever in the Kingdom of God; he should learn from the Bible what God wants from humanity. The Bible emphasizes that a man cannot be saved if he believes the Gospel only with his mind because his mind does not have power over sin and he will continue to commit sin (1CO15:1, 2; 34). The Bible clearly teaches that a man has to take up his cross to stop sin from having dominion over his life (1PET4:1, 2).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The Lord has promised those who have taken up their crosses, no longer have desire for sin and are waiting for him; that he will appear a second time. (HEB9:28). (“So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.”) However if a man lives in his sin; he will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven (HEB9:28). The Bible also does not define sin as only those sins that people usually think off as sins in this temporary world (2CO4:18). There are many things that people do that the Bible calls sin and people do not regard as sin. Therefore, those sins which people have committed without recognizing them as sins become big sins to God and are the very sins that God addresses when he sends them to hell. One such all consuming sin is the love of the world and things in this world (JAMES4:4; 1JN2:15-17).[/SIZE]

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Heb 9:12 NLT With his own blood--not the blood of goats and calves--he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
peacekim1004 said:
[SIZE=14pt]However, the Bible clearly testifies that a person, who does not take up his cross, will not be saved because he cannot follow the Lord.[/SIZE]
Incorrect. They were already saved once they believed in the Son of God John 6:47 NIV.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And there are those who know they are saved, because they are foolish enough to believe God, unto there salvation, it is the power of God whch so many neglect.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
mjrhealth said:
And there are those who know they are saved, because they are foolish enough to believe God, unto there salvation, it is the power of God whch so many neglect.
That's right mjr Matt 18:3 NIV.

newbirth

May 23, 2015
ATP said:
Incorrect. They were already saved once they believed in the Son of God John 6:47 NIV.
one must continue believing and obeying Christ...Peter believed and walked on the water for a bit then doubted and started to sink....
2 John 1:9
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

1 John 2:6
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
newbirth said:
one must continue believing and obeying Christ...Peter believed and walked on the water for a bit then doubted and started to sink....
2 John 1:9
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

1 John 2:6
He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
And that's what they do newbirth. Peter walking on water event existed before resurrection and the seal of God Eph 1:13-14 NIV. Believers after resurrection will all persevere in Christ. It is called the perseverance of the saints. We persevere because God keeps His promises...

Psalm 145:13-14 NIV Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does. 14The Lord upholds all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.

Acts 2:32-33 NIV God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

Rom 4:13-25 NIV It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression. 16Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all. 17As it is written: “I have made you a father of many nations.” He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not. 18Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” 19Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. 20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. 22This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.” 23The words “it was credited to him” were written not for him alone, 24but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.

Gal 3:13-14 NIV Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.” 14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Gal 3:18 NIV For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

Gal 3:21-22 NIV Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Eph 3:6 NIV This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Tit 1:1-3 NIV Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— 2in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,

Heb 9:15 NIV For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

James 1:12 NIV / Psalm 66:9-12 NIV Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

2 Pet 1:3-4 NIV His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Matthew 7...Jesus said "not everyone will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but those that do the will of the Father"
Then I will say to them in those days "depart from me I never knew you, you who practice lawlessness"

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Heb 9:12 NLT With his own blood--not the blood of goats and calves--he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.
Redemption form what?

He secured our redemption from death. Christ destroyed death's power by His death and resurrection.

All of mankind will be raised immortal and imperishable but, where one spends eternity depends on whom one obeyed; Jesus or one's own desires.

Salvation is open to all mankind. Those who "take up their cross and follow" Jesus will inherit the Kingdom prepared for them from the foundation of the world.

You have been given a "talent" by the Lord. If you don't bring Him and increase when He returns you can expect to be cast into the outer darkness.

Salvation is not yours to possess; it is God's to freely give to whomever obeys the commands of the Lord.

Mat 10:22b But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Mat 24:13 But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Mar 13:13b But he who endures to the end will be saved.

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
It is called the perseverance of the saints. We persevere because God keeps His promises...
Here's some of His promises:

COL1:21-23 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight —IF YOU CONTINUE IN YOUR FAITH, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.

HEB 3:14 We have come to share in Christ IF WE HOLD FIRMLY TILL THE END THE CONFIDENCE WE HAD AT FIRST.

EZE 18:24 "... IF a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, HE WILL DIE.”

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
heretoeternity said:
Matthew 7...Jesus said "not everyone will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but those that do the will of the Father"
Then I will say to them in those days "depart from me I never knew you, you who practice lawlessness"
And that's what we do, the will of the Father. Otherwise God is a liar and in contradiction...

contradict / verb (used with object)
1. to assert the contrary or opposite of; deny directly and categorically.
2. to speak contrary to the assertions of: to contradict oneself.
3. (of an action or event) to imply a denial of: His way of life contradicts his stated principles.
4. Obsolete. to speak or declare against; oppose.

John 6:35-40 NIV Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

John 17:12 NIV While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

John 18:8-9 NIV Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” 9This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me."

iakov said:
Salvation is not yours to possess; it is God's to freely give to whomever obeys the commands of the Lord.
No, that's incorrect. Salvation is a gift of God to those who believe. If we had to add works to our salvation then it wouldn't be a gift...

Rom 10:9-10 NIV / Matt 15:8-9 NIV If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

iakov said:
Mat 10:22b But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Mat 24:13 But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Mar 13:13b But he who endures to the end will be saved.
Does Matt. 24:13 conflict with free grace salvation and the believer’s security?

“But the one who endures to the end, he shall be saved” (Matt 24:13).

The word “saved” must always be understand in its context. Saved from what and by what means? “Saved” is the Greek sozo which may refer to any kind of deliverance and should often be simply translated “delivered.” It can refer to physical deliverance or to some kind of spiritual deliverance, but the context is the determining factor. In point of fact, this passage is speaking about physical deliverance or the survival of those who last through the judgments of the tribulation. Note the comments below from the Bible Knowledge Commentary.

24:9-14 (Mark 13:9-13; Luke 21:12-19). Jesus began His words (Matt. 24:9) with a time word, Then. At the middle point of the seven-year period preceding Christ’s second coming, great distress will begin to be experienced by Israel. The Antichrist, who will have risen to power in the world and will have made a protective treaty with Israel, will break his agreement at that time (Dan. 9:27). He will bring great persecution on Israel (Dan. 7:25) and even establish his own center of worship in the temple in Jerusalem (2 Thes. 2:3-4). This will result in the death of many Jews (Matt. 24:9) and many people departing from the faith. Believing Jews will be betrayed by nonbelievers (v. 10), and many will be deceived by rising false prophets (cf. v. 5; Rev. 13:11-15). Wickedness will increase, causing the love of most people (for the Lord) to grow cold.

Those who are believers and who survive until the end of that period of time will be saved, that is, delivered (Matt. 24:13). This does not refer to a personal self-effort at endurance that results in one’s eternal salvation, but to physical deliverance of those who trust in the Savior during the Tribulation. The endurance, then, is physical survival. While many will be martyred, a few will make to the end. Those who endure through the awful events of the Tribulation will be alive or delivered by Messiah when he returns to earth. This is not a reference to eternal salvation from sin, but rather the deliverance of survivors at the end of the Tribulation as stated in Romans 11:26 where the Deliver will save the nation Israel from its persecutors. Many will not endure to the end in that they will be martyred for their faith as described in Revelation 7:9-17.

https://bible.org/question/does-matt-2413-conflict-free-grace-salvation-and-believer%E2%80%99s-security

iakov said:
Here's some of His promises:

COL1:21-23 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight —IF YOU CONTINUE IN YOUR FAITH, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.

HEB 3:14 We have come to share in Christ IF WE HOLD FIRMLY TILL THE END THE CONFIDENCE WE HAD AT FIRST.

EZE 18:24 "... IF a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? None of the righteous things he has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness he is guilty of and because of the sins he has committed, HE WILL DIE.”
3. (of an action or event) to imply a denial of: His way of life contradicts his stated principles.

Here is His real promises...

Psalm 145:13-14 NIV Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does. 14The Lord upholds all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.

Acts 2:32-33 NIV God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it. 33Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

Rom 4:13-25 NIV It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression. 16Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all. 17As it is written: “I have made you a father of many nations.” He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not. 18Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” 19Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. 20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. 22This is why “it was credited to him as righteousness.” 23The words “it was credited to him” were written not for him alone, 24but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.

Gal 3:13-14 NIV Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.” 14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Gal 3:18 NIV For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

Gal 3:21-22 NIV Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

Eph 3:6 NIV This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Tit 1:1-3 NIV Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— 2in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, 3and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,

Heb 9:15 NIV For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

James 1:12 NIV / Psalm 66:9-12 NIV Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

2 Pet 1:3-4 NIV His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
peacekim1004 said:
[SIZE=20pt]Why many people think they've already saved? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]I extracted some phrases from the book "Eternal Gospel"[/SIZE]
[link removed]
[SIZE=14pt]People who do not pick up their crosses cannot be saved[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.6667px]... [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]The Lord has promised those who have taken up their crosses, no longer have desire for sin and are waiting for him; [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I have read the entire New Testament several times. I have NEVER read where we completely lose our desire for sin!? That does NOT happen. If anything, we are tempted even more once we really know Jesus b/c the devil is after us more then. I wish people would not put words in the mouth of God. Maybe you (or the writer of that article) interpreted some passage that way, but that is not said in the Bible, and so the interpretation is an inaccurate one[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] :mellow:[/SIZE]

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
This may sound.. odd but i feel that anyone who supports Trump is on his/her way to Hell. That is b/c these people show their true un-Christian colors

Jesus said to obey the 10 Commandments. DT definitely does NOT do that.. bears false witness "every 5 minutes" as one commentator said

promotes violence (saying it was the good old days when protesters went on stretchers.. telling a supporters to hit someone and he would pay their legal expenses)

but you know, people only "like" such lawlessness

when it is not directed @ themselves (you know, like when you are a victim of a burglary, you tend to hate burglary more than before)

think about others, all you DT supporters. There really are other people in t he world. It really is not all about you..

<_<

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
ATP said:
you are no longer saved if you commit an egregious sin (adultery, fornication, abortion...)

that osas stuff is a lie from the devil that will send you to Hell. You osasers do not know the absolute holiness of God

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
ATP said:
And that's what we do, the will of the Father. Otherwise God is a liar and in contradiction...

John 6:35-40 NIV Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 36But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”
dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does. 14The Lord upholds all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
you sound Catholic. I didn't fully realize the absolute truth of what you are saying (and what i now believe w/ all my heart) until i returned to the Catholic faith many yrs ago after a long time away. I found out the hard way how true are the teachings of the Catholic Church. I have problems with some things going on in the Church, but i dont one problem w/ the doctrines/teachings. That is not to say that what is wrong is not seriously wrong. It is.. but that is a long story

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
hatedbyall said:
you are no longer saved if you commit an egregious sin (adultery, fornication, abortion...)

that osas stuff is a lie from the devil that will send you to Hell. You osasers do not know the absolute holiness of God
1 John 2:1-2
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
StanJ said:
1 John 2:1-2
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
i never said you were lost forever if you commit a terrible sin. Obviously, you can repent and pray.. But sinning AFTER having Christ, knowing the Holy Spirit, is worse than sinning b4

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
hatedbyall said:
i never said you were lost forever if you commit a terrible sin. Obviously, you can repent and pray.. But sinning AFTER having Christ, knowing the Holy Spirit, is worse than sinning b4
Sin is sin, and Paul states in Roman 14:23; "everything that does not come from faith is sin."

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
StanJ said:
Sin is sin, and Paul states in Roman 14:23; "everything that does not come from faith is sin."
are you saying it is not true that sin after knowing Jesus is worse than sinning b4 ?? Because the Bible says otherwise. In fact there is a psg that many think says one is eternally lost if sinning after having known the Holy Spirit.

i wish i could recall where it is, but we can google it. It says something about how it is impossible to be restored again.. (the catholic Church which has the right to interpret Scirpture, as that is His Church) does not say this is speaking of the unforgivable sin, only that.. OK, i can't speak for the Church about this, but in any case, what i can say w/ certainty is that the Church says the only unforgivable sin is rejecting Jesus until the very end. Sadly, many make that I-absolutely-reject-You-Jesus decision long b4 death, which makes it "impossible" to repent of it at the time of death or near death

:blink:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
(the catholic Church which has the right to interpret Scirpture, as that is His Church)
Please dont start this foolish argument, it has no right at all, none, not one. It is not His church. Lets leave it at that.