Yes, there is hope for backsliders

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

chris_2012

Oct 29, 2012
A backslider is a saved person who falls into sin. A lost sinner cannot be a backslider. You have to go somewhere before you can slide back. But one who is truly born again, a child of God who falls into sin, is a backslider. It may be outrageous and gross sin known to everyone, or it may be merely coldness of heart, a lukewarmness of heart instead of the burning fire of love for God. But when a Christian loses any of his joy, or loses part of his sweet fellowship with God, or falls into sin, then he is a backslider. Remember that only Christians can backslide. We have many examples of this in the Bible.
God tells how Noah got drunk and lay naked in his tent. He tells how Lot sought the fellowship of the wicked Sodomites, lost all his influence, got drunk and ruined his own daughters. The Bible tells how Abraham deceived, calling Sarah his sister. Even saintly Moses lost his temper. When God commanded him to speak to the rock that Israel might be watered from it a second time, in a temper he beat upon it with his rod and so dishonored God that he lost his chance to enter the Promised Land.
David, a man after God's own heart, a man used to write the Psalms, that blessed book of devotions for the saints through all these centuries, committed adultery with Bathsheba and then had her husband Uriah slain to hide his sin. The Bible tells how Samson, a judge of Israel who had been filled with the Holy Ghost and was a Nazarite from his birth, kept company with harlots until God left him powerless, a slave of the Philistines with his eyes burned out.
The Bible tells how Peter denied Christ and cursed and swore; how all the disciples forsook Jesus and fled; how later Peter, fearing the Jewish Christians, played the coward again, and led even good Barnabas away with his dissimulations. The Bible tells how Joseph of Arimathea, a disciple of Jesus, was a coward, a secret disciple. Even Paul the apostle went up to Jerusalem against the plain leading of the Holy Spirit.
So the saints of the Bible fell into sin. They were backsliders.
These examples should humble us and teach us that even the mightiest of God's saints sometimes backslide, fall into sin, and so lose the sweet joy that every Christian ought to have.
If you are a backslider, then I have good news for you.
In I John 1:9 is this sweet verse for Christians, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Isn't that simple? We simply confess our sins honestly, then God is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us. Whether for a lost sinner who wants salvation, or a backslider who wants his blessing renewed and his joy restored, it is only one step to the Father's house! Oh, believe me, if you honestly in your heart confess your sin to God, He will forgive you and cleanse you in a moment!
Be sure that you do not excuse your sin. Be sure that you do not make an alibi for it and cover it over. Any honest confession will mean you have a penitent heart that turns from your sin with shame.
And if you feel like weeping, you may weep. I suppose the prodigal boy wept when he came home. But remember this: whether there is weeping or no weeping, God wants honest heart-confession of your sin. And when you have confessed your backsliding, your coldness, your lack of joy, then you ought to believe that God has forgiven it as He promised, and that He has cleansed it.
I think it would help you if you would get on your knees and read the fifty-first Psalm and let that divinely inspired prayer be the heart-cry of your own soul. It is the prayer of David, a backslider, and you might let it be your own, too. But remember this: All you need do is to make an honest heart-confession of your sin to the Father and believe that He forgives you as He promised, and that He cleanses you from all your sins. And then you will have sweet fellowship with the Father. So, backslider, come back today to God with your hungry heart and find peace and forgiveness.
There is a life of victory and joy for every Christian, and you may have it. Since you are still a sinner, you will find that you will need daily to commit your sins to God. First John 1:7 says, "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." You may walk in the light every day. When a sin appears, confess it quickly to God, ask Him to forgive it, and He does then and there. And so every day you may live in the smile of God's presence, in a conscious communion of His blessed Spirit. You need not wait to fall into outbroken sin and shame but can have rich blessing and victory every day.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Christian buzz words like "backslider" and "victory" instantly set off red klaxons for me.

Two things happen when we are regenrated by the Father.

1) We are "positionally" justified. That is to say we are declared, sovereignly, by the Father to be as if we had never sinned. We are not infused with sinlessness or righteousness, it is simply a legal transaction moving our sin account to His Son thorugh the blood shed on the cross.

2) We are indwelt by the Holy Spirit for continued instruction, edification, and sanctification. We are not made perfect in our sanctification (made Holy), we are set upon our journey towards sanctification.

We are a new creation in Christ, but that creation is still at war with the old creation. We are given the means to resist evil, NOT the guarantee to overcome it.

Backsliding denotes we have slid backwards from some point, but I ask, which point? Have we slid backwards from salvation? No, since salvation is monergistic in nature we have no ability to undo what we did not do in the first place. Have we slid backwards from sinless perfection? No because if sinless perfection were ever granted and then proceed to sin then it wasn't "perfection" to begin with nor was it sinless since sin was a possibility in the first place.

Backsliding is a convenient resting place to put sin that we really don't want give up and lay at the foot of the cross. It is our "hobby sin" that we enjoy to take out and dally with for our entertainment, then in a fit of guilt claim we merely "backslid" from our previous position of moral superiority.

Victory is that fantasy position of "sinless perfection". If it were actually acheivable then backsliding would never exist.

Scotty P

Feb 23, 2008
I am a sinner, backslider, lukewarm, whatever you want to call it. My heart was once on fire for the Lord. That seems so distant now. Lord have mercy on me

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think its amazing that christians will go to heaven, God forbid any that backslide.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
mjrhealth said:
I think its amazing that christians will go to heaven, God forbid any that backslide.
AMEN to that sir !!

chris_2012 .... are you a backslider ? ...... or are you just pointing at backsliders in order to convince yourself you are ... "better than them"