You don’t have a soul; you are a soul?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
King James Bible, Genesis 2:

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul [H5315].
The soul is closely identified with the man, even equating to him.

ESV, Exodus 31:

14 You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul [H5315] shall be cut off from among his people.
Strong's Hebrew: 5315. נָ֫פֶשׁ (nephesh) — 754 Occurrences

It was a common word with many senses.

ESV, Job 30:

16 And now my soul is poured out within me; days of affliction have taken hold of me.
Job's inner soul is poured out.

ESV, Deuteronomy 12:

23 Only be sure that you do not eat the blood, for the blood is the life [H5312-soul], and you shall not eat the life with the flesh.
An animal has blood. The blood is the H5312-soul.

Matthew 16:

26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
The Hebrew word for "soul" has multiple senses. The same goes for the Greek and English. The notion of soul has multiple senses. In some sense, we are souls; in some sense, we have souls.

Reactions: amadeus

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King James Bible, Genesis 2:

The soul is closely identified with the man, even equating to him.

ESV, Exodus 31:

Strong's Hebrew: 5315. נָ֫פֶשׁ (nephesh) — 754 Occurrences

It was a common word with many senses.

ESV, Job 30:

Job's inner soul is poured out.

ESV, Deuteronomy 12:

An animal has blood. The blood is the H5312-soul.

Matthew 16:

The Hebrew word for "soul" has multiple senses. The same goes for the Greek and English. The notion of soul has multiple senses. In some sense, we are souls; in some sense, we have souls.

Soulute

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might be a soul but I got no rhythm.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don’t have a soul; you are a soul?

“You don’t have a soul” is a statement.
“You are a soul” is a statement.

A “question mark” is an inappropriate punctuation to use for a statement.

Reactions: David in NJ

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on hair color, I think.
You talkin 'bout gingers?

I have teased my nieces about that a lot. But since it comes from unca john....they just roll their eyes at me and go on. But an overflowing candy dish, cookies and loaves of homemade bread and other goodies dispell any notion that uncle John has any malice or evil intent whatsoever.

Reactions: Wick Stick

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
Though I've yet to see God described as a soul, I have seen Him declared to
have a soul in Lev 26:11, Lev 26:30, Judg 10:16, Isa 42:1, Jer 32:41, Zech 11:8,
and Matt 12:18.

The way I figure it; if God has a soul, then it's likely I have a soul too seeing
as how mankind was made in His image and likeness.

Soul can be reasonably defined as the unique part of our existence as individuals
that makes us sentient beings instead of carrots and turnips.

BTW: Jesus had a soul (John 12:27) and Paul had a soul. (2Cor 1:23)
_

Last edited:

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soul can be reasonably defined as the unique part of our existence as individuals
that makes us sentient beings instead of carrots and turnips.
I think that's spirit rather than soul.

A vegetable has neither spirit nor soul. An animal has a soul but not a spirit. Man has both.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
Whereas one's body can be killed by most anybody and by most any means,
only God can kill a soul. (Matt 10:28 & Luke 12:4-5)
_

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are intrinsic to all of our makeup here on this earth. Many passages in the bible 'seem' to indicate certain things, that when analyzed indicate something different than was originally thought.

When someone makes that statement we don't have a soul, we ARE a soul, there are holes in that theology. Adam was his body and his soul which the Lord breathed into his already made body. Some come away with the tought that all souls since then were breathed into the bodies the same way, but the only foundation I know if for this is the Adam reference, and as you know, he didn't come from a womb.

The danger in this thinking is some have used it for a way to make abortion of children ok since, well hey, they never had a soul because they were never born, and yet we have backing for a God who foreknew us all even before birth and no confirmation a soul ever was "breathed" in the same way since. In fact, we have more precident for the opposite because the Holy Ghost entered John the Baptist in the womb.

I call some of that thinking "soul death" since those who say our soul dies until resurrection, and at one time I was a proponent of that because it was difficult to rationalize the resurrections if a part of us was already there.
In reality though it is a mysterious process in which the soul leaves the body to go to be with the Lord at death until it's time for resurrection.
Sure there are scriptures more specifically about the body that people take to mean the soul being dead. I'm thinking of passages in Ecclesiates.

Atheists will say the same thing about the brain. We are our brains or something similar because they believe when they die that's it.

For those who went on as unbelievers they go to another entirely different entirely worse place than us.

Since this thread doesn't specifically address the death process and what happens, in out current states we are a body with a soul. A naturalist calls us walking gut bags, while a believer calls us souls with body shells which I think is the most accurate.
Nothing metaphysical is generally known to be scientifically analyzed, so they don't see the soul.
Our souls as believers are always with the Lord. Whether in life, or in death.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Tony,

I don't need to see that as I already know what happens, but thanks just the same.