Your favourite bible hero/heroine, besides Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shipeichong

Jan 19, 2019
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Country
Singapore
Who is your favourite bible hero or heroine besides Jesus? Why is he or she a favourite?
I will begin. Mine is Jacob. I like him because like me, he is a sinner, a deceiver, a liar and there is hardly anything good about him besides the fact that he hungers for God's blessings to be in his life. Yet, at the end of his life, he died in worship of God.
He started up bad, and tried to get God's blessings, but ended up just worshipping God, even in his death. I want to be someone like that.
I can never be a Abraham because I am weak in my faith, or a David because I am too cowardly to trust God to slay a Goliath or a Moses or a Elijah or a Paul.
But I am definitely a Jacob, in that I seek after God's blessings, despite being a sinner and hopefully, at the end of my life, died in worship of God like him. So he is my hero even though I am a gal.
What about yours?

Reactions: Pearl and Cassandra

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like Nehemiah. He heard bad news, prayed about it and trusted God. He bravely told the king he served and the king allowed to go and lead the people to re-build the walls of Jerusalem. He answered God's call and succeeded in his mission.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nebuchadnezzer.It took him awhile (!) but he finally came to God. God knew his heart. ♥
He wrote Daniel 4. I think that is wonderful.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to be like every good guy in the Bible....

Unfortunately I have way too much in common with the villains of scripture if I'm honest with myself. From Cain, Saul, Esau, Pilate, and even Caiphus and Judas.

However,
A few inspire me....
Caleb of the 12 spies and later Kirith Arba AKA Hebron.
And Elijah after the showdown at Mt Carmel but in the desert.
Then there's Phillip who talked with EVERYONE and knew everyone. Jesus cracked a very famous joke upon him.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Esther too is a favourite as she braved the king's anger in order to save her people.

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Esther too is a favourite as she braved the king's anger in order to save her people.
Let's not forget Stephen, the first Martyr, who decided that since he was on the way out why not go with "bells on baby".
The proverbial mouse flipping the bird at the eagle about to pounce.

Reactions: Lambano and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let's not forget Stephen, the first Martyr, who decided that since he was on the way out why not go with "bells on baby".
So many heros in scripture, like yourself I like Caleb and Joshua who weren't afraid of the truth.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego:

16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied to the king, “Nebuchadnezzar, we are not in need of an answer to give you concerning this matter. 17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to rescue us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods nor worship the golden statue that you have set up.”

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought "Doubting Thomas" got a bad rap; I respect him because he was open and honest about his doubts. But this little vignette before the raising of Lazarus also shows what kind of man Thomas Didymus was:

7 Then after this He said to the disciples, “Let’s go to Judea again.” 8 The disciples said to Him, “Rabbi, the Jews were just now seeking to stone You, and yet You are going there again?” ... 16 Therefore Thomas, who was called Didymus, said to his fellow disciples, “Let’s also go, so that we may die with Him!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have this one on a t-shirt:

nexttothelast_great_act_of_defiance_long_sleeve.jpg

Reactions: JohnDB and Pearl