Tree of Life: A Soup Nazi Commentary on Revelation 22:14 KJV

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verses you are quoting were from his past before Jesus. You forget Romans 7:5-6 that tells us that we are free from the Mosaic Law, the Ten Commandments.
No, those verses are referring to being free from the law of sin, not the Mosaic Law.

hose were the Old Covenant. Every covenant has a sign of that covenant. The Old Covenant of Ex. 34:28 was the Ten Commandments, and its sign was the Sabbath day Ex. 31:13. The sign of the New Covenant is the Cup of the New Covenant that represented the blood of Jesus. We are no longer under the Old Covenant at all once we have repented and received the gift of the Holy Spirit.
While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same character traits and therefore the same Torah for how to testify about His character traits (Jeremiah 31:33). Likewise, in Ezekiel 36:26-27, the New Covenant involves the Spirit leading us to obey the Torah.

You keep talking about the Mosaic Law as if you can put new wine into Old wine skins. You can't. That is why Jesus gave that example.
Jesus gave the parable about the wineskins to answer a question about why his disciples weren't fasting, so you are taking that parable out of context to make a point that has nothing to do with answering the question that Jesus was responding to.

The whole reason for the Ten Commandments in the first place was because of SIN. Jesus came to free us from sin. Once our sin nature called "the old man" from Romans 6:5-7 has been crucified and freed from sin, it is resurrected with Christ to live righteously naturally. We partake of the divine nature of God, and are no longer under the Mosaic Laws BECAUSE we don't need them to not sin. Why? Because we no longer have a sin nature that caused us to need it.
Sin is the transgression of the Torah, so Jesus frees us from sin by leading us to obey it. The Bible often uses the same terms to describe aspects of the divine nature as does to describe aspects of the nature of the Torah, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), and with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the Torah (Matthew 23:23), which is because it is instructions for how to partake in the divine nature. It is contradictory to want to partake in righteousness while rejecting God's Torah for how to do that.

1 John 3:8-9
8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Can you see now why we do not need laws that we cannot break?

You are again trying to teach Jesus put new wine into old wine skins. BOOM!
Someone who is not sinning is living in obedience to the Torah, just as Jesus lived in sinless obedience to it.

What Jesus taught was to believe on Him. You've never mentioned that once, just us working to obey the major moral laws as if we needed to struggle as in Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
The way that we choose live testifies about what we believe to be true about who God is, so by doing good works in obedience to God's law we are testifying about His goodness, and by testifying about God's goodness, we are also expressing the belief that God is good, in other words, we are believing in Him. Likewise, being doers of justice is the way to believe that God is just, following God's laws for how to be holy as His is holy is the way to believe that God is holy, and so forth. In other words, the way to believe in God is by believing that we ought to be in Him image by being doers of His character traits in obedience to His law.

What does your church and you teach on how to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit to be born again?

Which is more important? Believing in Jesus and obeying our conscience where the laws of Jesus to love are written? Or keeping the 7th day Sabbath that is not part of our conscience or nature. (That includes Sunday).
We can't believe in Jesus while refusing to follow God's Torah for how to believe in Him. In 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy for God is holy, which is quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to be holy as He is holy, which includes keeping His Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3), so by following those instructions we are testifying about and believing in God's holiness while someone who refuses to follow those instructions is breaking false witness against God by living in a way that testifies that He is not holy. In other words, if God were not holy and that makes no difference to the way that someone lives, then they are living in a way that treats God as if He were not holy, however, the God of Israel is holy, so they are choosing to follow different god than the God of Israel.

Our conscience is informed by the highest level of moral law that we believe. However, our conscience part of our fallen nature, so it is not perfect, which is why Paul said in 1 Corinthians 4:3 that even though he was not aware of anything against himself he was not justified. So our conscience helps us to live in accordance with the Torah, but it does not replace it, and therefore is not the ultimate determiner of our spiritual condition. Our conscience is capable of warning us when our spiritual condition is in danger, but it is not God's Torah, and needs to be informed by God's Torah in order to function correctly.

In Romans 14, there are weak Christians whose conscience is not informed in a mature way, where their conscience won't let them do what they really would be free to do, so again our conscience does not replace God's Torah. Someone's conscience can be so misinformed that their glory is in their shame (Philippians 3:19), where both their mind and their conscience are defiled (Titus 1:15). So the first way to destroy the work of conscience is to misinform it where you don't give it the true Torah of God and the second way is to silence it when it speaks. In 1 Timothy 4:2, Paul spoke about a wounded or seared conscience, and a good indicator of this is if someone sees nothing wrong with continuing to do what God has revealed in His Torah to be sin.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, those verses are referring to being free from the law of sin, not the Mosaic Law.
It gives us the example of "coveting," the 10th commandment. So, again, we are free from the Mosaic Law, which includes the letter of the law regarding keeping one day a week resting.

Romans 7:5-8
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. 7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.
Likewise, in Ezekiel 36:26-27, the New Covenant involves the Spirit leading us to obey the Torah.
The New Covenant of the Spirit is superior to the Mosaic Law. The Old Covenant could not equip the Jews to love God with all their hearts nor love their enemies or their neighbors. The Holy Spirit is the only way those two laws can be kept NATURALLY when it is in regards to the Son. 1 John 3:21-24. We do not need written laws to memorize and keep. Ezekiel 31:31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Note that the New Covenant does not need to be memorized. Did you read the verses you posted? Ezekiel 36:26-27
26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

The commandments that make up His laws in the New Covenant have to do with His Son and Spirit. 1 John 3:21-24 "
21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Jesus gave the parable about the wineskins to answer a question about why his disciples weren't fasting, so you are taking that parable out of context to make a point that has nothing to do with answering the question that Jesus was responding to.
He was being questioned on why the disciples did not fast. It was because Jesus was still with them. If you believe the parable only had to do with fasting you are missing the point.

It had to do with EVERYTHING Jesus came to earth to do. And the biggest thing was the New Covenant and everything in it with regards to cleansing us from sin, defeating Satan, and the supernatural power of the Spirit. And the gifts of the Spirit. I received a new gift within the last six months that just boggles the mind. God has opened my eyes by the Spirit. Those who are in the Spirit, usually when preaching, cast a glow that I can literally see. You will be happy to know that I've seen it around one of the ladies at the Adventist church I attend on Saturdays. And around the pastor of the church I go to on Sundays.

Sin is the transgression of the Torah, so Jesus frees us from sin by leading us to obey it.
Jesus does far more than just lead us to copy righteousness. Many people in churches still have a sin nature, so can never truly be righteous, let alone holy. Jesus cleanses our nature to be able to partake of the divine nature of God, Himself. Once cleansed from the ability to break God's moral laws so we no longer need them to live by, Jesus goes on to pruning the fruit of the Spirit.

Now this is important. What is the one thing we need to stay cleansed of moral sin, and stay mature in the fruit of the Spirit?
Someone who is not sinning is living in obedience to the Torah, just as Jesus lived in sinless obedience to it.
Galatians 2:21 "if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

As you can see, righteousness does not come through the Law
We can't believe in Jesus while refusing to follow God's Torah for how to believe in Him. In 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy for God is holy, which is quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to be holy as He is holy, which includes keeping His Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3), so by following those instructions we are testifying about and believing in God's holiness while someone who refuses to follow those instructions is breaking false witness against God by living in a way that testifies that He is not holy. In other words, if God were not holy and that makes no difference to the way that someone lives, then they are living in a way that treats God as if He were not holy, however, the God of Israel is holy, so they are choosing to follow different god than the God of Israel.

Our conscience is informed by the highest level of moral law that we believe. However, our conscience part of our fallen nature, so it is not perfect, which is why Paul said in 1 Corinthians 4:3 that even though he was not aware of anything against himself he was not justified. So our conscience helps us to live in accordance with the Torah, but it does not replace it, and therefore is not the ultimate determiner of our spiritual condition. Our conscience is capable of warning us when our spiritual condition is in danger, but it is not God's Torah, and needs to be informed by God's Torah in order to function correctly.

In Romans 14, there are weak Christians whose conscience is not informed in a mature way, where their conscience won't let them do what they really would be free to do, so again our conscience does not replace God's Torah. Someone's conscience can be so misinformed that their glory is in their shame (Philippians 3:19), where both their mind and their conscience are defiled (Titus 1:15). So the first way to destroy the work of conscience is to misinform it where you don't give it the true Torah of God and the second way is to silence it when it speaks. In 1 Timothy 4:2, Paul spoke about a wounded or seared conscience, and a good indicator of this is if someone sees nothing wrong with continuing to do what God has revealed in His Torah to be sin.
There is a difference between a normal conscience and a supercharged conscience of the Spirit. One thing that helps me is the test of 1 John 3:22. For the past 47 years (I'm 76) 100% of my prayers have been answered miraculously. Before that, or the first 30 years, not one prayer was answered!

Last edited: