Where does the Pope get his authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All you've shown is that you don't know how to properly interpet Scripture. You aren't trained or educated to do so. It's not a do-it-yourself book.
KJV Revelation 1:3
3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

KJV Revelation 22:10
10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

Spiritual growth and understanding is not a "do it yourself' exercise, but we must play our part. That part is to read the scriptures and pray for the holy Spirit to do His work in our hearts and lives. It is through the word that He accomplishes this.

KJV 2 Timothy 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

KJV John 17:14-23
14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Reactions: The Learner

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an interesting question. Do we need verification?
The fact that Paul's letters are found in that wonderful fourth-century compilation we now know as the Bible makes these letters "biblical" by definition -- but I thought you were making a different point.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are 1.4 billion of us
The question is, how did it get to that number? Vanquishing nations and forcing child baptisms by threatening the parents doesn't count. Force marching pagan tribes into a river and claiming they are suddenly Christian didn't count. Numbers are meaningless anyway unless they confirm God's in the work. Noah preached the gospel and warned the people of impending judgement for 120 years. How many people got in the boat and were saved? 8. Does that mean Noah was a failure? Not in God's eyes. Noah proved to be a faithful servant in the midst of absolute rank and evil apostasy. That's a success.
If one Protestant preaches the gospel and just one person is saved, in God's eyes that is a success.
In 1600 years your church has 1 and a half billion members. Considering the political power of the papacy, it's influence over kings and queens and emperors and their armies at their disposal, and all the wealth in the world at their fingertips, I would have thought you fellas would have done a bit better.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What happened to the married couple that held back a money offering to The Church Brakelite?
You asked a question there do I thought I had better answer. They died. But not because they held back a money offering.

KJV Acts 5:1-4
1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

They didn't have to give any of the money if they didn't want to. It was theirs to do with as they would. There was no sin or offence in keeping the money, even all of it. But they lied to God. That was offensive. So neither was it an offence to the church. The church didn't need their money. God could have supplied the church's needs through anyone at any time. That wasn't the issue. And Peter didn't kill them. God struck them down because they lied to Him, Peter, being a prophet, spoke prophetically, not authoritatively.

Reactions: marks and Cassandra

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You asked a question there do I thought I had better answer. They died. But not because they held back a money offering.

2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

They didn't have to give any of the money if they didn't want to. It was theirs to do with as they would. There was no sin or offence in keeping the money, even all of it. But they lied to God. That was offensive. So neither was it an offence to the church. The church didn't need their money. God could have supplied the church's needs through anyone at any time. That wasn't the issue. And Peter didn't kill them. God struck them down because they lied to Him, Peter, being a prophet, spoke prophetically, not authoritatively.
Are you sure it was God who struck them down Brakelite?

Reactions: Brakelite

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks for answering the question. I appreciate it as some on here just ignore questions asked of them and only answer with a question. You didn't do that, and I appreciate it. :)

The topic of our conversation is Obey them that have the rule over you and submit yourselves (Hebrews 13:17) and all the other passages I gave that show that there are men, here on earth, that were made elders/overseers of The Church by the Holy Spirit and we are to obey and respect their authority.

In Acts 5 it was clear that members of the Christian community had a commandment to give all they have to The Church. They (Ananias and Sapphira for this conversation) took PART of their money to Peter. What you said is true, "Peter didn't kill them". AFTER Peter rebuked them, they were struck dead. God struck them down because they lied to Him. Why didn't God strike them down as soon as they lied? Why did God wait until AFTER Peter rebuked them to strike them down?

Because He wanted to show to the rest of the Christian community Peter's and the other Apostles authority here on earth. Great fear seized all who heard what happened and great fear came over the members of The Church. God wanted to show the Christian community that they were to obey those that ruled over them and submit themselves to them.

You clearly don't think that the authority that Peter had then exists today. No man can rule over you. However, you still havn't shown me where it says that Hebrew 13:17 was nullified by God. You keep giving me your opinion about it, but you havn't given any Scripture to back up that opinion. If you show me a passage in Scripture that says I DON'T have to obey the elders of The Church and says that The Church is no longer the pillar and foundation of Truth or a passage that nullifies Matthew 18:17, I will join you and your ilk and be my own ruler and only obey myself and what I think it True.

• Love

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Built on a faulty premise. There was no such commandment. So what follows is from the wrong tree, being built on a fiction. Is this what your church taught you? I'd imagine yes, given all that you've said about that. So here again - you cannot show such a commandment, it's not there - your church has taught you error to support their authority over you. Are you starting to see yet how this works? What they've done?

Much love!
Marks,

Nope, it is not what my Church taught me. It is what Scripture teaches US!

Clearly Annanias and Sapphira were to give all their money to The Church because that is what they were doing when they brought (part of it) it to Peter, who was a representative of The Church. Scripture also says, they (members of The Church) would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need. Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common. 33 With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. 34 There was not a needy person among them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold. 35 They laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need. 36 There was a Levite, a native of Cyprus, Joseph, to whom the apostles gave the name Barnabas (which means ‘son of encouragement’). 37 He sold a field that belonged to him, then brought the money, and laid it at the apostles’ feet.

Marks, why did they give everything they had to the Apostles when Jesus said, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” Did Annanias and Sapphira and all those in the Christian community defy Jesus' commandment by NOT giving all they had DIRECTLY to the poor? Or were they fulfilling His commandment by taking all they had to Peter and the other Apostles; The Church? Were Peter and the other Apostles defying Jesus commandment by requiring that the Christian community bring all that they have to them? Is that YOUR premise? :IDK:

Now that I have given Scripture to back up what The Church teaches it is clearly NOT a faulty premise that members of the Christian community had a commandment to give all they have to The Church. If they didn't have that commandment, they wouldn't have been doing it.

And what have you given Marks? Your opinion! :woohoo!:Thanks for your opinion....I will stick with Scripture and not you and your men. ;)

Keeping it real with Scripture instead of opinion.........Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoa….I just couldn’t let this go…..
Picture this…..Jesus is about to be arrested by an armed mob and he has told his apostles to sell things to buy swords…just 2 were “enough”…..you seriously think 2 swords against an armed mob are going to make any kind of impact?
This was prophesy being fulfilled because when Peter drew his sword and cut off a man’s ear, Jesus rebuked him and told him to “return the sword to its place”. Sooooo….why did they have swords now, when they had never been armed during Jesus’ entire ministry?
It was to demonstrate that they were not violent and even though they had weapons, they would not use them. Jesus healed the man and willingly submitted to his arrest as it was all prophesied to take place this way. The lesson was “those who take up the sword will perish by the sword”….substitute any weapon there and it has the same meaning. American gun laws are so ingrained in their psyche that they never got that memo…..gun related deaths in the US exceed any other civilized nation by a large margin.

And yet this is what the first Christians experienced….the Romans used them as entertainment sending them into an arena to be torn apart by wild animals…..yet they could walk free, simply by putting a pinch of incense on an alter as an act of worship to the Emperor…..they could have saved themselves and their children, but they refused to disobey their God, and were martyred. God will reward their courage and obedience.

We are to be “no part of the world”, so we have no part in serving any government by breaking God’s law on the sanctity of life. We are not authorized by God to take human life by serving in the military who will train us to do what God says we must not.……ancient Israel acted as God’s executioners…..defending the land that God had given them. No land we have today is God-given…..most are stolen from their original inhabitants with much bloodshed.

If we have blood on our hands, God will turn away from us. (Isa 1:15)

What the world does has nothing to do with us…the nations have always fought their wars……but, as Christians “we obey God as ruler rather than men” because no man has the right to tell us to do what God condemns. The wars of the nations affect us like they do anyone else, but we will not participate in them. We will go to prison rather than disobey our God. We will not support the war effort in any way because that makes us complicit in their bloodshed.

Those who confuse patriotism with their Christianity will soon find out that they are diametrically opposed to each other, not in harmony at all.

Being “NO PART OF THE WORLD” means exactly what it says… (John 17:16)…we follow Jesus’ example…..we do not interfere with its politics or its conflicts because our citizenship is in God’s Kingdom, not any man’s. The reasons for their bloodshed is none of our business. The world will do what the world under Satan’s influence has always done…..demonstrating by their actions who is leading them. (1 John 5:19)

We choose who we will obey, and it’s obvious that those who call themselves “Christians” who train to kill people whom they call their enemies are opposed by people who think the exact same way, and who perhaps even belong to the very same religion…..so is killing your “brother” of a different nation something God would sanction?
1 John 4:20-21….
”If anyone says, “I love God,” and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar. For the one who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21 And we have this commandment from him, that whoever loves God must also love his brother.”

Can you love your brother or your enemy with a weapon? (Matt 5:43-44)

How can we love our enemies?
Romans 12:17-21…
”Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.”

We hand it all over to God because he is in control of everything…….What happens when you conquer evil with evil? No one really wins, because disobedience to God is always a defeat.

I never cease to be amazed at how twisted your beliefs are…..not Christlike at all…
My men will continue to give their lives to protect and defend your property, women, children and men so that you can continue to spew your twisted beliefs.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are typical of many Catholics here in that you misrepresent what others say to you. It's a form of deception, lying, in order to make a point. You are out of order.
Jesus doesn't expect anyone to obey leaders who are in open hostility with Him in spiritual matters. Yes, we are to obey secular rulers so long as they don't impose their authority into the spiritual realm. We are to obey our church leaders so long as they themselves are submitted to Christ, and teach the truth. Paul could honestly require his church to obey him without pride or contradiction, because what he taught and what he practised was biblical. I cannot say the same for the priests, the bishops, and the Popes of Rome. Nor can I say such for the institution itself considering she embraces and has embraced in the past, forgeries and counterfeits and myths and fables, and she does this wholeheartedly if she can see an advantage in doing do. That is not Christianity. And it isn't too be trusted.
Show me a passage that nullifies "Obey those who rule over you" and I will join your ilk.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are typical of many Catholics here in that you misrepresent what others say to you. It's a form of deception, lying, in order to make a point. You are out of order.
Show me a post of your in which you have said that you WILL obey those who rule over you and i will retract what I wrote.

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My men will continue to give their lives to protect and defend your property, women, children and men so that you can continue to spew your twisted beliefs.
Your pedophile priests teaching our children about morality? How proud you must be of your "Leaders"

Matthew 7:15 kjv
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

1 Timothy 6:5 kjv
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 kjv
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Isaiah 8:20 kjv
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Ephesians 5:11 kjv
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Reactions: Pearl

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your pedophile priests teaching our children about morality? How proud you must be of your "Leaders"

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
So, you must not be a Christian at all, then, right? According to your logic, nobody should follow Christ because one of His first followers, Judas Iscariot, betrayed Him unto death. Am I right? Do you walk around telling everyone that Christians betray their friends and cannot be trusted? And Judas was 1/12th of the Apostles, hand-picked by Jesus.

So who do you believe in since it cannot be Jesus, according to your logic?

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you must not be a Christian at all, then, right? According to your logic, nobody should follow Christ because one of His first followers, Judas Iscariot, betrayed Him unto death. Am I right? Do you walk around telling everyone that Christians betray their friends and cannot be trusted? And Judas was 1/12th of the Apostles, hand-picked by Jesus.

So who do you believe in since it cannot be Jesus, according to your logic?
Your inference is nonsense and not related to my statement. Judas has no bearing on the thought train. I follow Jesus. Jesus is my Leader. You follow your Pope and priests. Good luck with that.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your inference is nonsense and not related to my statement. Judas has no bearing on the thought train. I follow Jesus. Jesus is my Leader. You follow your Pope and priests. Good luck with that.
Adrift, my apologies. I didn't outline the logic you were using so you could understand clearly. My fault.

Here is what I got from your previous post above: IF a Church has a sinner in it, especially if they are a leader, then they cannot possibly be Christ's Church and must be condemned and certainly not followed. You pointed to sinful Catholic priests who were pedaphiles. Correct? And you clearly implied that we shouldn't follow such a Church because they were members/leaders.

Using the same exact logic, the first followers of Jesus Christ, the Apostles, had among their group Judas Iscariot (1/12th of the group) who committed the atrocity of betraying Jesus unto death. Therefore, like the later Church who had pedophiles, they shouldn't be followed.

Let he who is among you, cast the first stone. Do you claim to be sinless?

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adrift, my apologies. I didn't outline the logic you were using so you could understand clearly. My fault.

Here is what I got from your previous post above: IF a Church has a sinner in it, especially if they are a leader, then they cannot possibly be Christ's Church and must be condemned and certainly not followed. You pointed to sinful Catholic priests who were pedaphiles. Correct? And you clearly implied that we shouldn't follow such a Church because they were members/leaders.

Using the same exact logic, the first followers of Jesus Christ, the Apostles, had among their group Judas Iscariot (1/12th of the group) who committed the atrocity of betraying Jesus unto death. Therefore, like the later Church who had pedophiles, they shouldn't be followed.

Let he who is among you, cast the first stone. Do you claim to be sinless?
Again. Your position is contrary to the following scripture:

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again. Your position is contrary to the following scripture:

Correction, my position is contrary to your personal interpretation of Scripture. BIG difference. Do you declare yourself to be an infallible interpreter of Scripture?

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
…your Scriptural evidence that nullifies Jesus telling his disciples to buy a sword and approving them of buying swords is Matthew 26:52? Does Matthew 26:52 tell them NOT to defend themselves or not to buy swords? Does Matthew 26:52 condemn the use of a sword?
Yes, in combination with all the other Scriptures I quoted. And others i haven’t, like: “‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay’ says the LORD.” (Romans 11:19) “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Mark 12:31) “Whoever saves his soul will lose it, but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 16:25; Luke 9:24) Etc., etc.
You look at one passage from Scripture, Christs command to love, and ignore his other command, one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one.
I look at one passage?! That was you, Mary, using Luke 22:36.

(Really, you make it seem like the Bible contradicts itself.)

It was an object lesson Jesus was teaching His disciples, Mary. He didn’t allow the use of them, did He?
Look at it this way: Loving the soldier who just invaded your country and is raising the gun in their hand and aiming it at your child and/or your spouse, is not going to stop them. Once they kill them, you are next. Once they kill you, your neighbor is next. Once they kill all your neighbors they move to the next town and do it all again. Well, in all the towns with JW's in them. Once they come to a town that adheres to ALL of Scripture, then WE start fighting back and save any JW's that might still be left.
So, kill others to save this life we’re living? Do you believe this life is all we’ve got?

Paul said “If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied.” — 1Corinthians 15:19

Like I said earlier: you’re not looking at the big picture.

One of the reasons behind the origin of Christendom’s part in the world’s wars, was their fear of standing up to and angering the governments waging them…. They didn’t want to lose their prestige & status, their control.
Well, it’s happening anyway. People are seeing the hypocrisy.

I know you won't train or engage in warfare.
You’re right about that! In obedience to God & His Christ, the Prince of peace.
You have the luxury of other men doing that to save…..
No, ultimately Jesus saves us. But we have to be obedient to Him & His Father!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Aunty Jane

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correction, my position is contrary to your personal interpretation of Scripture. BIG difference. Do you declare yourself to be an infallible interpreter of Scripture?
Those words are not mine. They are scriptural. There is no interpretation. Apparently, your arguement is with God. Also, you have a bad habit of turning a debate into a personal attack (Just like Maryog's need to constantly throw personal spears). That typically indicates a lack of faith in your position or just a hateful personality.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your “men” will answer to God for the blood they have spilled for centuries….(Isa 1:15) Those who support them will suffer the same judgment. (Rev 18:4-5)

Someone is spewing twisted beliefs and Paul exposes who it is….

”Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.”

There you have it…..who is leaving the vengeance to God? That is an act of faith.…but you don’t see it in Christendom! ‘Returning evil for evil’ proves that Christ has never set foot in your church….or any church that supports the heinous warfare of this 21st century. God does not sanction political bloodshed because of who is ruling this world and controlling its entire corrupt political structure. (1 John 5:19)
Show me a passage that nullifies "Obey those who rule over you" and I will join your ilk.
You see, this just proves how little you know of the Bible……the obedience of the apostles is our model…..they obeyed their ruling authorities EXCEPT when those authorities told them to abstain from doing what Christ had commanded them to do…..

Read about the incident that occurred in Acts 5….

V 25-29…”But someone came and reported to them: “Look! The men you put in prison are in the temple, standing and teaching the people.” 26 Then the captain went off with his officers and brought them in, but without violence, because they were afraid of being stoned by the people.

27 So they brought them and stood them before the Sanʹhe·drin. Then the high priest questioned them 28 and said: “We strictly ordered you not to keep teaching on the basis of this name, and yet look! you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you are determined to bring the blood of this man upon us.” 29 In answer Peter and the other apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.

And there it is again….the scriptural answer is not your church’s answer is it?
Obey God first in all things…NOT MEN.

Jesus said to “love your enemies”…..but the church system, (Catholic and Protestant) in currying favor with the world, (James 4:4) wants to kill them.
Like the Pharisee, the RCC along with the rest of Christendom, just does whatever suits their own agenda, and justifies it to their members who swallow it all down like cool-ade. Patriotism is mistaken for Christianity.

All the things you accuse others of doing, is done by your own “men”…..the jig is up….God is lifting the lid on the whole sordid mess…..just wait and see who it is that has been leading so many down the wrong path for centuries….

Reactions: TheHC