Why its important to keep the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm not preaching the Law. Are you? ZERO Sabbath COMMANDS in the New Covenant!
Preach CHRIST THE LAW TO US!
So are you going to preach 'SUNDAY FOR CHRISTIANS'?
Why not? Because there are ZERO Sunday COMMANDS <in the New Covenant>? or ZERO Sunday COMMANDS in the BIBLE? But Christ is in the whole Bible, so which are you going to preach, both days of the week, neither, or one, the one in the Bible which in whole “TESTIFIES OF ME… ONE THE LAWGIVER”, or the one that is not in Bible and does not testify of Jesus Christ?

But of course the Bible is not so complex – it has God’s Laws about everything his followers follow as a matter of course because of what Christ means to them. That is how the Law of God, functions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At first I felt like ignore this narrative of your own, in view of the hundreds of pertinent Bible Text answers I have given and which YOU MUST HAVE READ if you had the weakest of Christian guts in you. . . which posts you OBVIOUSLY have read and I bet did study and I promise, despised and therefore discarded and ignored TO SAVE YOUR LIGHT-SHY SKIN.
I AM ASHAMED FOR YOU DIVERTING TO THIS KIND OF CRAP AFTER ALL.
I'll just ask you one question again - knowing, you will be too cowardly to answer it with unadulterated Scripture. . .
Easy, bro, we're all friends here. It is the papacy - which claims the Names, Titles, Office, Prerogatives, and Place of Christ for itself as "antichrist" is our common enemy. My opposing conclusions drawn from the Scriptures you present are from the correct interpretation of them ;)
Question: QUOTE THE SCRIPTURE OF <this passage along with the other Gospels shows that Jesus died just before sunset on Friday aka "Preparation Day">!
"...was the preparation day and the sabbath drew on" refers to the weekly Sabbath, not a yearly Feast Day sabbath.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sis, I frankly can't understand why this and so many other arguments (not necessarily from yourself, of course) are made in objection to only the 4th commandment.

Am I being unreasonable?
(I ask this only in the academic sense.)

It seems quite often to be related to the idea that the keeping of a certain day of the week reserved as one devoted particularly to rest and worship is not intuitively or practically moral.

But, as I have brought to folks' attention before, anyone who's been to a foreign mission field will tell you that the morality we find to be so practical and intuitive in the west and many of its former colonial interests is not necessarily considered so in many of the less prosperous and/or affluent countries of the world.

It seems intuitive enough to me that if, as science is beginning to bear out, the biological circaseptan rhythm of working six days and resting for one tends to lengthen and improve the quality of life, then wouldn't declining the opportunity to do so be tantamount to at least violating the principle of the 6th commandment—that human life is sacred, and well worth enriching and preserving? The Lord seems to make at least one object of the entire moral law, including the 4th commandment, one of just that very principle in the following statement:

Deuteronomy 5:29-33 — O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Go say to them, Get you into your tents again. But as for thee, stand thou here by me, and I will speak unto thee all the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments, which thou shalt teach them, that they may do them in the land which I give them to possess it. Ye shall observe to do therefore as the LORD your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left. Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess.

:)
I hear ya Barney…..and I agree with everything you said in principle…..but balance in this life is not something the world in general lives by. God, OTOH creates a wonderful balance if we live in accord with his direction.
Israel had to obey ALL the laws of God, not just single out one as more important than the others.

As I have said many times….a Sabbath observance is not required of any Christian, but neither is it forbidden. Paul said no one should be judged one way or the other, for what they choose to do in worship to God, according to his word and the teachings of the Christ……but having said that, it is not for us to dictate what others should and shouldn’t do in relation to God’s laws. We as Christians are under just two now, and that law is written on hearts...exercised by conscience……so we must do what God says is appropriate for where we are in the stream of time, and that what we do is in accord with Christ’s teachings.

As a Jew, Jesus was under Law and did himself observe the Sabbath, but upon his death, his disciples were freed from “the curse of the law, Christ having become a curse instead of us”……the old law having been nailed to the stake upon which he sacrificed his life…..was no longer binding.
A new covenant was inaugurated with his death and now we are under a whole new arrangement…..the old one is obsolete, having fulfilled its purpose.

So we can observe the principles of the old law without the compulsion…..no immediate punishment will be meted out if we disobey….but when the judgment comes, then there is an accounting for how we lived our lives as Christians, and how well we obey the Christ in all things….to the best of our imperfect ability of course.

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
There is a connection but it is a principle, not a command in Genesis…..God is said to have rested and blessed the 7th day, but there is not a single mention of any human observing a Sabbath till God gave his laws to Israel…..a law code that was not binding on anyone else but them.

Why was the Sabbath made for man? In Genesis, it was a period of time for God to bring about his first purpose for mankind, which had been interrupted by the rebellion in Eden. God had allowed the 7th day to run its course to show any problems associated with the use or abuse of free will…..which was first manifested in the spirit realm, and spread to mankind on earth.

For Israel, it was to act as an enforced rest day, to recharge the batteries and wind down after 6 days of work….but only the Jews were required to observe it. None of God’s faithful servant before Moses were ever commanded to observe the Sabbath. Please find scripture that says that they did…..it is assumed by those who want to observe it, and to enforce it on others as a requirement for Christians, when it never was.
Christians are not under Jewish law.

Do you remember the circumcision issue that the apostles had to sort out?
When Gentiles Christians were being pressured by their Jewish brother to follow the Law of Moses and be circumcised, it was causing a lot of arguments.
So the apostles and elders in Jerusalem, met to sort it out….they considered everything prayerfully and with guidance from the holy spirit, they came to a unanimous conclusion and that decision was binding on all Christians…..the law of Moses was not binding on Gentile Christians because these had not converted to Judaism, but to Christianity…..under a new covenant, and the law of the Christ.
Their decision is recorded in Acts 15:28-29…

”For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

There was no reason to keep a law that was now obsolete. All of the “necessary things” outlined by the apostles, pertained to Gentiles because the Jews already held to these principles as they were taught under the old covenant. So no circumcision, no Sabbath, or any Jewish practice was forced on Gentile Christians.
There is no scripture that says otherwise. Having the same requirements for all Christians was to unite them as one body in Christ. (Eph 2:15)

The principle upon which the weekly Jewish Sabbath was held is based on Genesis, but the Sabbath that God blessed in Genesis is not the Sabbath that the Jews were commanded to observe. (Romans 7:6)

In case you were not aware, Jews were rather notorious for their inordinate love of money, and prominence, which became somewhat of a national character trait….it led to being involved in lucrative business enterprises for the wealthy, and underhanded tactics for the criminals who could not make themselves rich by legal means….e.g. the tax collectors.

Its the reason why Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple, for extorting money for the animals that the Jews had to bring to the Temple for sacrifice. Some had journeyed long distances and it was more convenient to buy the animal right there at the Temple….but they were over charged. Jesus called it a den of thieves and threw them out with their animals.
So for Jews it put the brakes on their own interests, and concentrated on God for one day of the week.

All the scriptural details for why we are not required to observe the Sabbath are explained in post #1156.

There is no scripture that forbids a Sabbath observance if one is inclined to want to do that…..but there is no requirement to do so, as the Jews were obligated to….that is what Scripture teaches.
There is no connection for you,obviously.

You seem to have an issue well beyond my patience .

I wish you all the best .

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preach CHRIST THE LAW TO US!
So are you going to preach 'SUNDAY FOR CHRISTIANS'?
Why not? Because there are ZERO Sunday COMMANDS <in the New Covenant>? or ZERO Sunday COMMANDS in the BIBLE? But Christ is in the whole Bible, so which are you going to preach, both days of the week, neither, or one, the one in the Bible which in whole “TESTIFIES OF ME… ONE THE LAWGIVER”, or the one that is not in Bible and does not testify of Jesus Christ?

But of course the Bible is not so complex – it has God’s Laws about everything his followers follow as a matter of course because of what Christ means to them. That is how the Law of God, functions.
Then why was Jesus with His disciples who were working on the Sabbath? The Law COMMANDS execution! Why didn't Jesus have them executed??? Oh that's right, He taught them personally.

Galatians 5:2-4
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is no connection for you,obviously.
I said there was…but in principle, not according to the written law that was done away with.
You seem to have an issue well beyond my patience .

I wish you all the best .
Thank you, it seems that a closed minded approach to any issue that cannot be backed up by Scripture is a difficult thing to process. If we have held to a belief for a long time, even when the Bible clearly states something the opposite, it will not infiltrate an indoctrination of mind and heart.

If no ancient servant of God was said to observe a Sabbath, (not Abel, not Noah, not Enoch, not Abraham, not Isaac or Jacob) and no such command was ever given before the Law of Moses to Israel (Jacob’s descendants) exclusively, then what can any of you offer by way of Scriptural evidence for its Christian observance?

I have seen none so far.…just suggestion and inference.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is just it Brakeite….Jesus never did. His Father is the Creator and creation was his project….Jesus was a co-worker. But the resting, as I mentioned was only from his creative works…..he did not rest during the time period that followed the close of the 6th day.

John 5:15-17…after healing a man on the Sabbath….(Jesus was a Jew and still under law at that time)
”The man went away and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. 16 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things during the Sabbath. 17 But he answered them: “My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working.”

There are more important trees to bark up…..the Sabbath is no longer required of Christians….though anyone can have a day of rest….to worship and concentrate on spiritual things…..there is no law against that.

Please provide scripture that says it is a requirement…and that God’s early servants observed a Sabbath….Who observed a Sabbath before Moses?
A non answer, an incorrect half-pie response, and a change of subject. Your posts are beginning to read like Marymog's.
First, about Jesus being Creator.
Immediately following the oft-quoted text which says that Christ, the Word, is God, we read that "all things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made." John 1:3.
Comment cannot make this statement any clearer than it is, therefore I will pass to the words of
Heb. 1:1-4, "God...hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the majesty on high; being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

Still more emphatic than this are the words of the apostle Paul to the Colossians. Speaking of Christ as the One through whom we have redemption, he describes Him as the One "who is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of every creature; for by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers; all things were created by him, and for him; and he is before all things, and by him all things consist." Col. 1:15-17.

This wonderful text should be carefully studied and often contemplated. It leaves not a thing in the universe that Christ did not create. He made everything in heaven, and everything on earth; H|e made everything that can be seen, and everything that cannot be seen ; the thrones and dominions,and the principalities and the powers in heaven, all depend upon Him for existence. And as He is before all things and their Creator, so by him do all things consist or hold together. This is equivalent to what is said in Heb. 1:3, that He upholds all things by the word of His power. It was by a word that the heavens were made, and that same word holds them in their place, and preserves them from destruction.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A non answer, an incorrect half-pie response, and a change of subject. Your posts are beginning to read like Marymog's.
Immediately following the oft-quoted text which says that Christ, the Word, is God, we read that "all things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made." John 1:3.
Comment cannot make this statement any clearer than it is, therefore I will pass to the words of
Heb. 1:1-4, "God...hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the majesty on high; being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

Still more emphatic than this are the words of the apostle Paul to the Colossians. Speaking of Christ as the One through whom we have redemption, he describes Him as the One "who is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of every creature; for by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers; all things were created by him, and for him; and he is before all things, and by him all things consist." Col. 1:15-17.

This wonderful text should be carefully studied and often contemplated. It leaves not a thing in the universe that Christ did not create. He made everything in heaven, and everything on earth; H|e made everything that can be seen, and everything that cannot be seen ; the thrones and dominions,and the principalities and the powers in heaven, all depend upon Him for existence. And as He is before all things and their Creator, so by him do all things consist or hold together. This is equivalent to what is said in Heb. 1:3, that He upholds all things by the word of His power. It was by a word that the heavens were made, and that same word holds them in their place, and preserves them from destruction.
All that said, it follows that when Jesus claimed to be the Lord of the Sabbath, He was totally justified in doing so as Creator. The Sabbath is His day, the Sabbath therefore is the Lord's Day., the same day He appeared to John the Revelator. "My holy day' He calls it elsewhere. And in Isaiah 58 says...
KJV Isaiah 58:13-14
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

And if any have problems with my referencing the LORD s Jesus the Son, it wasn't only me.

KJV Psalms 50:1-6
1 The mighty God, even the LORD, hath spoken, and called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the going down thereof.
2 Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined.
3 Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.
4 He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people.
5 Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice.
6 And the heavens shall declare his righteousness: for God is judge himself. Selah.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A non answer, an incorrect half-pie response, and a change of subject.
Where is the change of subject? I have asked the Sabbath keepers to show us where any human observed the Sabbath before the law was given to Moses…..no one has, because no one did.
This is the first point to make clear…..it was not enjoined on anyone to hold a Sabbath until the Israelites observed it as part of God’s law which was exclusive to them. Their first experience was the double amount of the manna produced on the 6th day, so that no work of any description was to be done on God’s day of rest…..but only the Jews received God’s law…no one else.
Immediately following the oft-quoted text which says that Christ, the Word, is God,
Since the word “theos” (god) in Greek is not exclusive to Jehovah…Jesus can rightly be called “theos” as its meaning is stated in Strongs Concordance.
In John 1:1 the Greek indicates that only the Father is ”ho theos” (THE God) …the Word is just ”theos” (divine one)
Satan is called ”theos” in 2 Cor 4:3-4, proving that “theos” doesn’t mean only Jehovah.
This word according to Strongs Concordance…means primarily…
  1. “a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities”
So Jesus can be “divine” without being “deity”.

we read that "all things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made." John 1:3.
If you read those scriptures carefully, especially from a more accurate translation, you will see something that you appear to read right over….
John 1:2-3…..
”The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him; and without him was not anything made that hath been made. (ASV, ESV, NASB)

The NLT has slightly different wording..
”He existed in the beginning with God. God created everything through him,and nothing was created except through him.”
These well known and respected translations all say the same thing….creation came “through” the son, not BY him or FROM him……this is called agency….a person THROUGH whom transactions take place. God created all things through, or by means of his firstborn. The terminology used in the Bible have both Jehovah and his son speaking of themselves as “father and son”…a relationship that is widely recognized in human experience. A father and son never come into existence at the same time….the father always exists first in order to produce a son. This is the meaning of the term “only begotten”….Jesus is the only son produced directly by the Father himself….the son produced everything else which agrees with the scriptures you quoted but failed to highlight the more pertinent parts.

As God’s Mediator, he is the go between….the middle man….the one who speaks for God and the one through whom his purpose for mankind is fulfilled.

Genesis shows us that God was not alone….but neither was he talking to himself.

The first two verses of John ch 1, emphasize the same point….that Jesus, as “the Word” (logos) was God’s spokesman from “the beginning”…..since God is eternal, he had no beginning….so what is this “the beginning” of?….the only answer is “creation”…..we know creation had a beginning, and so did God’s son as it says in Rev 3:14…

“And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation. (ESV)

“And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write:These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God“ (ASV)

“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this“ (NASB)

“Write this letter to the angel of the church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen—the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s new creation: (NLT)

Are these translations in error? The pre-human Jesus was God’s first and only direct reaction, making him a unique “son of God”…..all of creation then came “THROUGH” the son..…God’s “Master Workman” in Prov 8:30-31.
And you highlighted the wrong words again…..your translation says that Jesus is ”the image of the invisible God, the first-born of every creature”…if he is ‘the firstborn of every creature’, then he is himself a creature, as Rev 3:14 indicates.
This wonderful text should be carefully studied and often contemplated.
Yes indeed….”carefully studied” to ascertain who Christ is, according to Scripture, and what relationship he has to his Father.
Being “the firstborn of all creation” as other translations render that passage in Col 1, it is clear to those of us who have carefully studied God’s word so that we do not cling to the RCC‘s definition of God, as it bears no resemblance to what the Bible says about him at all.

It leaves not a thing in the universe that Christ did not create. He made everything in heaven, and everything on earth; H|e made everything that can be seen, and everything that cannot be seen ; the thrones and dominions,and the principalities and the powers in heaven, all depend upon Him for existence. And as He is before all things and their Creator, so by him do all things consist or hold together. This is equivalent to what is said in Heb. 1:3, that He upholds all things by the word of His power. It was by a word that the heavens were made, and that same word holds them in their place, and preserves them from destruction.
Yes it does….but not the way your church interprets it. The son features in all aspects of creation and the rescue of the human race from the destructive course our first parents set us on. Creation was not only made “THROUGH“ the son, but also “FOR” him. Read those scriptures again and see what you missed.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why was Jesus with His disciples who were working on the Sabbath? The Law COMMANDS execution! Why didn't Jesus have them executed??? Oh that's right, He taught them personally.

Galatians 5:2-4
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

To hold this position, Jack, you have to surrender the 7th commandment as well. The woman taken in adultery should have been stoned. Thus you pronounce Christ a transgressor of His own law.

There is no hermeneutically sound way to defend the disregarding of the 4th commandment, folks.

We can get mad and use boldface and forceful punctuation—the virtual equivalent of throwing of a hissy fit—but it doesn't change a thing that God has said in His Word.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To hold this position, Jack, you have to surrender the 7th commandment as well. The woman taken in adultery should have been stoned. Thus you pronounce Christ a transgressor of His own law.

There is no hermeneutically sound way to defend the disregarding of the 4th commandment, folks.

We can get mad and use boldface and forceful punctuation—the virtual equivalent of throwing of a hissy fit—but it doesn't change a thing that God has said in His Word.
Hi Barney. Hope you and yours are well. No Sabbath COMMANDS in the New Covenant? I know. I think 9 of the 10 are in the New Covenant. But no Sabbath COMMANDS. NONE!

• Love

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Barney. Hope you and yours are well. No Sabbath COMMANDS in the New Covenant? I know. I think 9 of the 10 are in the New Covenant. But no Sabbath COMMANDS. NONE!

Very kind reply, Jack. Best of God's blessings to your home as well.

I don't hold the position that there are any direct commands to keep the Sabbath in the New Testament. In fact, I'd venture to say they are intentionally excluded.

I also think God has left out a direct restatement of the 3rd commandment, just in case folks want to use this kind of "special pleading" argument or "argument from silence," as it's called, to avoid appeals to obedience.

I honestly think it's a test, much like Exodus 16 was. :)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Their first experience was the double amount of the manna produced on the 6th day, so that no work of any description was to be done on God’s day of rest…..but only the Jews received God’s law…no one else.
Yay, progress. You finally recognise that the Sabbath is one 24 hour day.
I have asked the Sabbath keepers to show us where any human observed the Sabbath before the law was given to Moses…..no one has, because no one did.
Read again exodus 16. "How long are you going to continue to disobey my commandments?" The Lord asked Moses. So the Sabbath Commandment existed before Sinai.
And when God said that He chose Abraham...
KJV Genesis 26:5
5 because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. I would be interested how you formulate a presumption through your very human reasoning that the Sabbath was a part of the law 1000 or so years later, but neglected to give it to Abraham? Was the day not holy when Abraham lived?
All things were made through him
No problem. Scripture is absolutely clear that the Father in the ultimate authority.
These well known and respected translations
Okay, I'm not going to comment further on this excerpt to ask since when did JWs recognise anything as well known and respected other than the NLT? Personally, although I admit them to be well known, respected is an entirely other matter.
The first two verses of John ch 1, emphasize the same point….that Jesus, as “the Word” (logos) was God’s spokesman from “the beginning”…..since God is eternal, he had no beginning….so what is this “the beginning” of?….the only answer is “creation”…..we know creation had a beginning, and so did God’s son as it says in Rev 3:14…
Yeah, I'm not going there. This isn't my first rodeo on this topic. Just circular debate bearing no fruit.
And you highlighted the wrong words again…..your translation says that Jesus is”the image of the invisible God, the first-born of every creature”…if he is the firstborn of every creature, then he is himself a creature, as Rev 3:14 indicates
First born, and elsewhere, only begotten. No suggestion of created in either. Son, absolutely. My sons inherited my nature. I'm a man, so they must be men also. Like father like son. Jesus is God's only begotten Son. Not a sin by creation as are the angels, or a sin by apron, as we are. But a Son begotten in the express image of His Father, inheriting the same nature as His Father... like Father like Son. Therefore God.
what relationship he has to his Father.
See above. KJV 1 John 4:14-15
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
it is clear to those of us who have carefully studied God’s word so that we do not cling to the RCC‘s definition of God, as it bears no resemblance to what the Bible says about him at all.

Firstborn of all creation can also mean the Genesis of creation, the source, or the activating power.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strangely, no one in the Bible is said to have observed a Sabbath till God gave Israel his law. Moses was the first one….so Adam was not instructed to hold a Sabbath observance….nor Noah…nor Abraham…..nor Elijah.

The Sabbath mentioned by God at creation is the principle behind the weekly Sabbath given to the Jews, but they are two completely different things. The 7th “day” of creation has not yet ended. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath because it is the 1000 year rulership of his Kingdom that brings the 7th day to its successful conclusion. At the end of each creative day, God declared his satisfaction with his progress thus far…..there is no declaration for the conclusion of the 7th day because it is still running.

The law, along with its Sabbath, was given only to Jews…it was not binding on Gentiles.
There is no Sabbath law for Christians ever commanded…..how do you explain that?
Aunty, if you read you find that there was worship from the beginning, and they followed what God had given them, and the day He made holy and blessed was one of these things. You read that His Commandments and Statutes were followed and you see how they were perfect and just before God. How could this all be before what was at MT Sinai? It was already there from Creation. We must listen to the truth in Gods Word...

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And you highlighted the wrong words again
Nope. I knew what I was doing. You denied that Jesus created. I wrote and highlighted the scriptures that declared that He is the Creator.
The following was not written by me, but it encapsulates what I believe is the truth of scripture, without taking away or adding, without using human reasoning in order to divest the scriptures of the meaning of the plain word.

In arguing the perfect equality of the Father and the Son, and the fact that Christ is in very nature God, we do not design to be understood as teaching that the Father was not before the Son. It should not be necessary to guard this point, lest some should think that the Son existed as soon as the Father; yet some go to that extreme, which adds nothing to the dignity of Christ, but rather detracts from the honor due him, since many throw the whole thing away rather than accept a theory so obviously out of harmony with the language of Scripture, that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God. He was begotten, not created. He is of the substance of the Father, so that in his very nature he is God; and since this is so ‘It pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell.’ Col. 1:19…While both are of the same nature, the Father is first in point of time. He is also greater in that he had no beginning, while Christ’s personality had a beginning.” —

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...was the preparation day and the sabbath drew on" refers to the weekly Sabbath, not a yearly Feast Day sabbath.
Hi, P777, sorry to have been away from all this. I've got 2 cents on this comment.

It could have been both. We do know from Scripture (Luke's account) that it was indeed the feast day preparation day, but it could have been that it was also Friday and not earlier in the week from Passover.

Luke 19:31-32
31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. 32 Then the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and of the other who was crucified with Him.

It is because of the sign of Jonah that leads some to point out that this Sabbath was a high Sabbath and a full three days and three nights passed.

Last edited: