“Alive Unto God”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned the Christian life is not a changed life, though an outward change in a believer will evince God’s inward working. It is more accurately described as an exchanged life, in that the outcome is not us trying to live a life like Christ, but rather it is Christ Himself living His life in and through us.

This is analogous to us being a glove and the Spirit being the hand, which understanding usually requires years for the believer to comprehend scripturally. It’s not that we are replaced in our personhood, which is what the Father created and redeemed for eternal union and fellowship, but it is now in this lifetime that it is “Christ, who is our life” (Col 3:4); “yet not I, but Christ” (Gal 2:20). This means you will not be any more holy, righteous or saved in heaven than you are now (less the old man).

The work of God in the believer is in understanding that holiness and righteousness is not something which can be practiced, because it is a state of being, and works manifest them, as they are imputed (not imparted) to us by God through Christ: “But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption” (1 Cor 1:30).

I have discovered it helps me to understand that the key to realizing our unity with God is in understanding the difference between religion and Christianity. As I’ve once seen it well stated that, “religion is man reaching to God, but Christianity is God reaching to man.”
-NC

“Alive Unto God”

“Likewise, reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus, our Lord” (Rom 6:11). It is an immense thing to see how we are “alive unto God.” I think a great many are trying to live to God. That is, they want to reach it in their responsible life, instead of seeing that it is “in Christ Jesus.”

I believe that many conceive of living to the Father as being in their responsible life down here; that is, they think it is in a life of practical righteousness and holiness that they are to live to the Father. The “likewise” is either forgotten or misunderstood, it would seem.

The Lord Jesus has died unto sin and lives unto God (Rom 6:10). He lives not only personally free from sin (He was ever this), but He is outside the whole range of sin. He lives unto God in scenes where sin can never come, and where all things are of God. His death and risen life are my title to live unto God in the same sphere.

Such is the grace of God that I may appropriate the Lord Jesus’ death and count that I have died unto sin (Rom 6:11; Col 3:3). It is appropriation that tests us. How often we stop at admiration! It is as we appropriate that we become spiritually robust. It is only thus that I could reach “alive unto God in Christ Jesus.” Death unto sin is not the terminus—it is the station en route—the terminus is “alive unto God in Christ Jesus.”

I could not live in sin—that is, in the life of Adam—and live unto God in Christ Jesus at the same time (though we still sin, Scripture never relates a saint as a sinner—NC). I must have died unto sin and reckon upon my death in Him in order to be able to live unto God in Him. “Dead unto sin” is not that I abstain from sinning, but I quit the life of sinful Adam altogether by the appropriation of the Last Adam’s death unto sin and count myself as a new creation alive unto God in Christ Jesus.

The result of this is that in my responsible life I yield myself to God and my members as instruments of righteousness to Him. It is because I know what it is to be “alive unto God” that I can do this. A good many are reversing the process. They are trying to live to God by putting the responsible life right. What a blessed thing it is to be under grace!

As we are attracted to the Lord Jesus by His love, we find his death between us and “our old man,” and between us and the world, the law and Satan. This is the way of real deliverance and happy freedom from what is evil here in ourselves and in the scene around.

—Charles Andrew Coates (1862-1945)

MJS daily devotional excerpt for July 11

“We should always be prepared for circumstances that will arise, and for blessings that are to come, without foreseeing what these circumstances and blessings will be. This preparation consists in attention to present responsibility, and acceptance of present discipline.” —MJS

“If day by day we first seek divine direction, and then follow it, we shall be ready, when new circumstances arise, for the new blessings which will be offered. Today should be preparation for tomorrow. The only proof that we shall be equal to tomorrow’s test is that we are meeting today’s test believingly and courageously. The only evidence that we shall be willing for God’s will tomorrow is that we are subject to His will today.” -W.G.S.

“Our Lord has special reserves of grace for special needs. If ever you feel that you could not go through a certain trial, that if you had to face that, you just could not go through with it, you are taking on something that you have no right to take on.

“If the Lord calls you to go through fire or water, He has a special reserve of grace for you in that. And that grace will be from the throne of grace. It is the throne above, mediating grace for need and suffering as it is required.” -T. A-S.
None But The Hungry Heart

Reactions: MatthewG and marks

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned the Christian life is not a changed life, though an outward change in a believer will evince God’s inward working. It is more accurately described as an exchanged life, in that the outcome is not us trying to live a life like Christ, but rather it is Christ Himself living His life in and through us.

This is analogous to us being a glove and the Spirit being the hand, which understanding usually requires years for the believer to comprehend scripturally. It’s not that we are replaced in our personhood, which is what the Father created and redeemed for eternal union and fellowship, but it is now in this lifetime that it is “Christ, who is our life” (Col 3:4); “yet not I, but Christ” (Gal 2:20). This means you will not be any more holy, righteous or saved in heaven than you are now (less the old man).

The work of God in the believer is in understanding that holiness and righteousness is not something which can be practiced, because it is a state of being, and works manifest them, as they are imputed (not imparted) to us by God through Christ: “But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption” (1 Cor 1:30).

I have discovered it helps me to understand that the key to realizing our unity with God is in understanding the difference between religion and Christianity. As I’ve once seen it well stated that, “religion is man reaching to God, but Christianity is God reaching to man.”
-NC

I only read this much for now, but thought it was so profound it deserved a strong encouragement and "like." It isn't the language you use so much as the ability to communicate the importance of Christ in our production of good works, obedience, etc. Without Christ we may do some things with and through him unconsciously. But without a firm commitment to him, we cannot produce the fruit of a spiritual lifestyle.

I refer to the importance of Christ as a "partnership." Now, some may have had bad experiences in business with partners, and the word "partnership" may be highly suspect. But I believe God wants, above all else, fellowship with us, respecting Him as Lord and as Father. And so, living in this partnership has certain requirements, namely deferring to Him when we see it as necessary to do so, and also drawing upon His virtues in everything we do.

As we fall farther away from "love," our relationship with God becomes distant and strained. If we walk in His love and kindness, we please Him and enjoy His company and good will.

Yes, when we put our faith in Christ, and not in a system that relies on our own record of goodness, we have his goodness imputed to us. We demonstrate his virtues in our life, and He covers our imperfections.

When we are not in full submission to Christ, we are "religious" in the negative sense. We are following our own guidance, and not relying upon His guidance and His virtues. We are trying to produce our own sense of divine love, which doesn't fool God at all.

We may even do this as Christians. The non-Christian world has no other way to live than to emulate what they thing is of value. We all have a conscience, and find ourselves compelled to live by it, whether we rationalize or not.

Many years ago I benefited from Watchman Nee, who taught that we should take care to ensure our soul, with its mind, emotions, and will, remains under our commitment to Christ. If at any time we follow our own mind and will, or even our emotions, we will not be living in partnership with Christ.

I mean, we do use our mind and will, but it must always be considerate of what God's will is at any moment. We have to defer to His love. We have to defer to His will. Otherwise, He is pleased to see us exercise our mind and will in accordance with how we perceive God to be, in holiness and in love and kindness.

Thanks so much. You said in a few words something that takes me many words! Sorry! ;)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only read what you initially posted, in your first few paragraphs and do I ever fully agree with that analogy you had gave.

Thank you for that.

Also Randy, thank you too.