“Not In The Flesh”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the NT the word “flesh” means “old man” or sin nature nearly every time it’s used; the OT usage is always in reference to the physical body. Romans 8:9 gives the saint the most “exhorting” word! It speaks of the sin nature (“flesh”) being in the believer, but the believer is not in the sin nature (something only God can do), but “in the Spirit.” The crux of this stupendous spiritual-growth truth is that the “old man” can no longer cause the Christian to desire to sin. It’s what the desire is in the heart that God wants, “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also” (Mat 6:21). If our Father has our heart, He has the whole of us, because the treasure in a soul counts for all!

Paul owned up to the fact that the sin nature was his (Rom 7:14, 18). Thankfully he also owned up to the fact that it was no longer himself, after the new nature, that was sinning, but himself after the old man (vs 17, 20—which he was no longer a part of). He declared that he no longer desired to sin: “For that which I do I allow not” (v 15). This answers to his usage of the word “captive” (v23). A captive is held against his will and desire, thus his intention is to say that his sins are always against his desires; and this is where it all matters to God—in the desires of the heart.

Desire to please God instead of desire after the old man is exactly what God is always “working in us” (Phl 2:13). The saints desires after the new man (new nature) is all that the Father takes into account, thus His forgiveness and love are never broken, but are persistently and permanently exercised within us; as all He sees is that “treasure” (loving and pleasing God) which is eternally in the heart.

The gist of this entire issue is that Christians should never feel guilt concerning any issue, as God always brings us to repentance concerning our sins (unless we’re not really His yet). When we realize our sins we are still under God’s forgiveness because He knows we will always repent (1Jn 1:9); and it is the guilt that Christ’s Cross keeps us from (Mat 6:13), so that we can maintain an unbroken-peace as much as possible; so we can be used of Him, to draw the lost and strengthen the saved!!

NC

Reactions: Cyd

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the NT the word “flesh” means “old man” or sin nature nearly every time it’s used; the OT usage is always in reference to the physical body. Romans 8:9 gives the saint the most “exhorting” word! It speaks of the sin nature (“flesh”) being in the believer, but the believer is not in the sin nature (something only God can do), but “in the Spirit.” The crux of this stupendous spiritual-growth truth is that the “old man” can no longer cause the Christian to desire to sin. It’s what the desire is in the heart that God wants, “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also” (Mat 6:21). If our Father has our heart, He has the whole of us, because the treasure in a soul counts for all!

Paul owned up to the fact that the sin nature was his (Rom 7:14, 18). Thankfully he also owned up to the fact that it was no longer himself, after the new nature, that was sinning, but himself after the old man (vs 17, 20—which he was no longer a part of). He declared that he no longer desired to sin: “For that which I do I allow not” (v 15). This answers to his usage of the word “captive” (v23). A captive is held against his will and desire, thus his intention is to say that his sins are always against his desires; and this is where it all matters to God—in the desires of the heart.

Desire to please God instead of desire after the old man is exactly what God is always “working in us” (Phl 2:13). The saints desires after the new man (new nature) is all that the Father takes into account, thus His forgiveness and love are never broken, but are persistently and permanently exercised within us; as all He sees is that “treasure” (loving and pleasing God) which is eternally in the heart.

The gist of this entire issue is that Christians should never feel guilt concerning any issue, as God always brings us to repentance concerning our sins (unless we’re not really His yet). When we realize our sins we are still under God’s forgiveness because He knows we will always repent (1Jn 1:9); and it is the guilt that Christ’s Cross keeps us from (Mat 6:13), so that we can maintain an unbroken-peace as much as possible; so we can be used of Him, to draw the lost and strengthen the saved!!

NC

A good word Chaplain. I especially like the last 2 paragraphs and I was shown something I had never thought to repent for as it is a scripture not really talked about regarding being judged for.
Mt 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

I had over 70 years to repent for on this one!!! Who would have thought about idle words?

Last edited:

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A good word Chaplain. I especially like the last 2 paragraphs and I was shown something I had never thought to repent for as it is a scripture not really talked about regarding being judged for.
Mt 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

I had over 70 years to repent for on this one!!! Who would have thought about idle words?
Hi, and thanks for the reply! Good thought, but it's my understanding that the sense of "idle words" must be
those relating to evil (like evil conversations of evil people), because of what precedes and follows (Mat 12:35,
37).

"Idle word - This literally means a vain, thoughtless, useless word; a word that accomplishes no good. Here it means, evidently, “wicked, injurious, false, malicious, for such” were the words which they had spoken." Albert Barnes (1798-1870).