“The doctrine of baptisms” (Hebrews 6:1-2)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
John Zane,
One key Scripture reference to being "born again" or "regenerated" is John 3:5, where Jesus says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."
This verse is so important that those who say baptism is just a symbol must deny that Jesus here refers to baptism. "Born again" Christians claim the "water" is the preached word of God.
But the early Christians uniformly identified this verse with baptism. Water baptism is the way, they said, that we are born again and receive new life—a fact that is supported elsewhere in Scripture (Rom. 6:3–4; Col. 2:12–13; Titus 3:5).
No early Christian referred to John 3:5 as anything other than water baptism.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
No early Christian referred to John 3:5 as anything other than water baptism.

Gee, I'm humbled ...
you obviously were there during those years, but I wasn't blessed with such an experience.
But, I have other incredible experiences, which you're not interested in.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Gee, I'm humbled ...
you obviously were there during those years, but I wasn't blessed with such an experience.
But, I have other incredible experiences, which you're not interested in.

Then you show me from the bible or outside the bible where the early Christians believed that John 3:5 meant anything other than 'water baptism '.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
'Tis extremely simple indeedeo ... google da words "John 3:5" ... and read!

This is what I found from your Wikipedia reference -always water Baptisms-

Baptism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Baptize)
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the Christian religious ceremony. For other uses, see Baptism (disambiguation).

Baptism of Neophytes by Masaccio, 15th century, Brancacci Chapel, Florence.[sup][1][/sup] Part of a series on Christianity
Christians hold Jesus to be Christ
Jesus · Christ[hide]​
Theology[hide]​
History and traditions[hide]​
General topics[hide]​

Denominations[show]​
Christianity portal
Baptism (from the Greek noun Βάπτισμα baptisma; itself derived from baptismos, washing[sup][2][/sup]) is a Christian rite of admission (or adoption[sup][3][/sup]), almost invariably with the use of water, into the Christian Church generally[sup][4][/sup] and also a particular church tradition. Baptism has been called a sacrament and an ordinance of Jesus Christ.
In some traditions, baptism is also called christening,[sup][5][/sup][sup][6][/sup] but for others the word "christening" is reserved for the baptism of infants.[sup][7][/sup]
The New Testament reports that Jesus was baptized.[sup][8][/sup] The usual form of baptism among the earliest Christians was for the naked[sup][9][/sup] candidate to be immersed totally (submersion) or partially (standing or kneeling in water while water was poured on him or her).[sup][10][/sup][sup][11][/sup][sup][12][/sup][sup][13][/sup][sup][14][/sup][sup][15][/sup][sup][16][/sup] While John the Baptist's use of a deep river for his baptism suggests immersion,[sup][17][/sup] pictorial and archaeological evidence of Christian baptism from the 3rd century onward indicates that a normal form was to have the candidate stand in water while water was poured over the upper body.[sup][18][/sup][sup][19][/sup][sup][20][/sup][sup][21][/sup] Other common forms of baptism now in use include pouring water three times on the forehead.
Martyrdom was identified early in Church history as "baptism by blood", enabling martyrs who had not been baptized by water to be saved. Later, the Catholic Church identified a baptism of desire, by which those preparing for baptism who die before actually receiving the sacrament are considered saved.[sup][22][/sup] As evidenced also in the common Christian practice of infant baptism, baptism was universally seen by Christians as in some sense necessary for salvation, until Huldrych Zwingli in the 16th century denied its necessity.[sup][23][/sup]
Today, some Christians, particularly Quakers and the Salvation Army, do not see baptism as necessary, and do not practice the rite. Among those that do, differences can be found in the manner and mode of baptizing and in the understanding of the significance of the rite. Most Christians baptize "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (following the Great Commission), but some baptize in Jesus' name only. Most Christians baptize infants;[sup][24][/sup] many others hold that only believer’s baptism is true baptism. Some insist on submersion or at least partial immersion of the person who is baptized, others consider that any form of washing by water, as long as the water flows on the head, is sufficient.
"Baptism" has also been used to refer to any ceremony, trial, or experience by which a person is initiated, purified, or given a name[sup][25][/sup]—see Other initiation ceremonies.

Contents
[hide]

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
John 3:3,5 - Jesus says, "Truly, truly, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." When Jesus said "water and the Spirit," He was referring to baptism (which requires the use of water, and the work of the Spirit).

[ Eph.4:3-6 ] " ...... one Lord, one faith, ONE BAPTISM, one God and Father of all "