1 Peter 3:15-16

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:
and be ready always to give an answer
to every man that asketh you
a reason of the hope that is in you
with meekness and fear:

Having a good conscience;
that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers,
they may be ashamed
that falsely accuse your good conversation
(or manner of life) in Christ.
For it is better, if the will of God be so,
that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins,
the just for the unjust,
that He might bring us to God,
being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit: ... '

(1 Peter 3:15-18)

Hello there,

The words I have highlighted tell the believer to 'be ready always', 'to give answer', 'to every man that asketh you', 'a reason', 'of the hope that is in you'. I have split these words up for a reason, in order to give thought to what is actually said, especially the words, 'a reason' - What is the reason (cause or motive) of the hope that is in you? What is the hope itself ? and, 'When?' and 'How?' will it be realised?

These people knew what it was to suffer for righteousness sake, and many would lose their lives in the process, in ways that we will never have to experience. What was their hope? Would it differ from yours?

I am asking myself these questions, and thought you may like to consider this passage of Scripture too, any aspect of it. The words, 'sanctify the Lord God in your hearts' is also worth considering, isn't it?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
with meekness and fear:

Having a good conscience;
that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers,
they may be ashamed
that falsely accuse your good conversation (or manner of life) in Christ.
For it is better, if the will of God be so,
that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins,
the just for the unjust,
that He might bring us to God,
being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit: ... '

(1 Peter 3:15-18)

Hello there,

The words I have highlighted tell the believer to 'be ready always', 'to give answer', 'to every man that asketh you', 'a reason', 'of the hope that is in you'. I have split these words up for a reason, in order to give thought to what is actually said, especially the words, 'a reason' - What is the reason (cause or motive) of the hope that is in you? What is the hope itself ? and, 'When?' and 'How?' will it be realised?

These people knew what it was to suffer for righteousness sake, and many would lose their lives in the process, in ways that we will never have to experience. What was their hope? Would it differ from yours?

I am asking myself these questions, and thought you may like to consider this passage of Scripture too, any aspect of it. The words, 'sanctify the Lord God in your hearts' is also worth considering, isn't it?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Chris,
Personally speaking, the "reason" for the hope that is in us would at least partly, be His faithfulness in our own lives today. Then there is the future hope of glorification?

"5 So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed:" 1 Peter:5:1

So, does this have a dual app.? The one hope that we have in this life is His faithfulness to care for us tells us that He is a God that can be trusted in ALL things. So, in turn we have the ultimate hope of being with Him in glory! 1 Peter 4:13 “Rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed”
xo

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chris,
Personally speaking, the "reason" for the hope that is in us would at least partly, be His faithfulness in our own lives today. Then there is the future hope of glorification?

"5 So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed:" 1 Peter:5:1

So, does this have a dual app.? The one hope that we have in this life is His faithfulness to care for us tells us that He is a God that can be trusted in ALL things. So, in turn we have the ultimate hope of being with Him in glory! 1 Peter 4:13 “Rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed”
xo

Hello @Nancy,

Thank you for this response. You appear to be able to understand better than I how to determine the 'reason' for the hope that we hold. I confess to finding this word a stumbling block, and unlike you I am not ready to even begin to give a proper answer. I feel like a child looking at an exam paper, and simply not understanding the question being asked. I see what you mean by a dual application, but need time to get my thoughts together.

I feel it is necessary to look at this also from the perspective of the writer, at the time of writing, and the circumstances surrounding him, and those to whom he wrote. His hope, and the reason why he is stressing the need for an answer to this question to be readily available in the expectancy that it would be asked. Why would it be expected to be asked at that time particularly, in those circumstances, and by whom? These people were suffering for righteousness sake. So who were their persecutors? Would their response to this question determine whether they would suffer further.

Who would be likely to want to know what our hope is, and for what reason? If it were out of curiosity as a result of our life's witness, which could lead to the salvation of the questioner, our answer would be geared to that end. If it were asked under threat of persecution then the answer would be differently stated perhaps.

* You see what is happening, Nancy, I am overthinking this - Typical!!

-----------------------------------------------

'And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of His disciples,
which are not written in this book:
But these are written,
that ye might believe
that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God;
and that believing ye might have life through His name.'

(John 20:30-31)

Hello again Nancy,

The simple answer is that my hope is that I will have life through His name: resurrection life, eternal life. (Regardless of what is associated with it in terms of inheritance) My reason for that hope is that I have believed the gospel of God concerning His Son, and am trusting Him to fulfil the promise in His time, and in His way, for as you have already said, Nancy. He is faithful.

Praise His Holy Name! - For the simplicity that is in Christ Jesus

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: mjrhealth and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Chris,

xo

Hi Chris,
"I feel like a child looking at an exam paper, and simply not understanding the question being asked. " <----Now isn't that funny, that is how I ALWAYS feel, ahaha!

Speaking of this future hope, It's tough to hope for what we don't see. But, this present hope to me is that I know I will eat tomorrow, I know He will take care of my needs, always no matter the situation. This is what makes my hope for the future solid.

"* The simple answer is that my hope is that I will have life through His name: resurrection life, eternal life. (
Regardless of what is associated with it in terms of inheritance) My reason for that hope is that I have believed the gospel of God concerning His Son, and am trusting Him to fulfill the promise in His time, and in His way, for as you have already said, Nancy. He is faithful."

You sure do mull things around inside that cranium of yours, haha! You went much deeper than I, so don't cut yourself short Chris, you have excellent study habits!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Chris,

xo

Hi Chris,
"I feel like a child looking at an exam paper, and simply not understanding the question being asked. " <----Now isn't that funny, that is how I ALWAYS feel, ahaha!

Speaking of this future hope, It's tough to hope for what we don't see. But, this present hope to me is that I know I will eat tomorrow, I know He will take care of my needs, always.
God always blesses through natural means it seems. And, in ways we sometimes do not expect!
Let's all cling to the hope that is in us and, presson! Amen.
In Him
nancy

Reactions: charity

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord.
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behaviour in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
(I Peter 3:15,16 NIV)

What is the reason (cause or motive) of the hope that is in you? What is the hope itself ? and, 'When?' and 'How?' will it be realised?

If we really believe Jesus is Lord and God, if He is more important to us than anyone or anything else, then we shall fear letting Him down more than we fear what other people may think or do. This will give us the necessary boldness and humility to fulfil our calling to show the preciousness of Jesus to others – for which persecution is a golden opportunity.

If we're living as Christians should, it's our lifestyle that will provoke those around us to challenge us, or to ask why it is that we live as we do. "Witnessing" then becomes our answer to this type of question.

So the real question is: does the hope in us (the hope of resurrection and the glorious age to come - Romans 8:16-25) get translated into the way we live now? Because if it makes no difference, why should outsiders be at all interested?

As for "the reason for our hope" - that's the salvation that God has given us in Christ, surely? In other words, the Gospel message itself.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Nancy,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. Th
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behaviour in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

If we really believe Jesus is Lord and God, if He is more important to us than anyone or anything else, then we shall fear letting Him down more than we fear what other people may think or do. This will give us the necessary boldness and humility to fulfil our calling to show the preciousness of Jesus to others – for which persecution is a golden opportunity.

If we're living as Christians should, it's our lifestyle that will provoke those around us to challenge us, or to ask why it is that we live as we do. "Witnessing" then becomes our answer to this type of question.

So the real question is: does the hope in us (the hope of resurrection and the glorious age to come - Romans 8:16-25) get translated into the way we live now? Because if it makes no difference, why should outsiders be at all interested?

As for "the reason for our hope" - that's the salvation that God has given us in Christ, surely? In other words, the Gospel message itself.
Hello @Deborah,

I am sure that @Nancy, like myself, will agree wholeheartedly with your reply.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

with meekness and fear:

Greetings, Charity!

My answer for this question would be to share how the Lord is always communicating with me, whether through dreams and visions or through divine revelation shining light upon His word. I would also relate that the Spirit of God was poured out upon me with strong manifestations of speaking in tongues in confirmation of the gospel.

This is in line with what the apostles taught. If you read Paul's testimony to Agrippa, he cited a supernatural experience - of witnessing Christ manifest Himself to him on the road to Damascus - as the reason for His hope (Acts 26:13-19). Peter cited a similar experience (2 Peter 1:16-18). The experiences formed the background and basis for their testimony.

God bless! and good post.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:
and be
ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you
a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: ... '

(1 Peter 3:16)

Hello @Hidden In Him, (re. reply#9)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. You have given the reason for your hope to be your experiential knowledge of the Lord, and give as an example, the Apostle Paul's testimony before Agrippa in Acts 26:13-19, and that of Peter in (2 Peter 1:16-18) who both had the privilege of having seen Christ Jesus their risen Lord in resurrection glory.

Though I, like @Nancy, have experience of the presence of God in my life, and have known His enlightenment when reading His Word: I have not had supernatural experiences of the kind you mention. So my testimony has to be concerning the Word of God that I have heard and believed concerning His Son the Lord Jesus Christ(which @Deborah also affirms): which led to my salvation, and the hope that is laid before me as a consequence; which is life through His Name (John 20:31). 'The background and basis' that you refer to, in my experience, being the sacrificial work of Christ on my behalf, and the promises of God associated with it, which I am trusting Him to fulfil.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Personal testimony is also part of our witnessing - my conversion is the reason why the hope of salvation is in me!

But this is an area in which Christian experience is highly variable. I struggled for years because my conversion testimony didn't fit the "correct" pattern (hearing the gospel, conviction of sin, praying the sinners prayer, experiencing forgiveness). @Hidden In Him can testify to supernatural experiences, like the apostles, but those of us who can't are not in any way "inferior" Christians. We must testify to our own personal experience, whatever it is.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Personal testimony is also part of our witnessing - my conversion is the reason why the hope of salvation is in me!

But this is an area in which Christian experience is highly variable. I struggled for years because my conversion testimony didn't fit the "correct" pattern (hearing the gospel, conviction of sin, praying the sinners prayer, experiencing forgiveness). @Hidden In Him can testify to supernatural experiences, like the apostles, but those of us who can't are not in any way "inferior" Christians. We must testify to our own personal experience, whatever it is.
@Deborah_ Needs to be Biblically sound, right? but the idea that it can supposedly be made to measure by some 'evangelist' saying when you got to stand up or raise your hand and repeat words and sign a so called decision card is frankly mechanistic and even dangerous, because it seems to replace the work of the Holy Spirit.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Deborah_ As someone said, We may be the only Gospel that ppl even read...

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:
and be
ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you
a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: ... '

(1 Peter 3:16)

Hello @Hidden In Him, (re. reply#9)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. You have given the reason for your hope to be your experiential knowledge of the Lord, and give as an example, the Apostle Paul's testimony before Agrippa in Acts 26:13-19, and that of Peter in (2 Peter 1:16-18) who both had the privilege of having seen Christ Jesus their risen Lord in resurrection glory.

Though I, like @Nancy, have experience of the presence of God in my life, and have known His enlightenment when reading His Word: I have not had supernatural experiences of the kind you mention. So my testimony has to be concerning the Word of God that I have heard and believed concerning His Son the Lord Jesus Christ(which @Deborah also affirms): which led to my salvation, and the hope that is laid before me as a consequence; which is life through His Name (John 20:31). 'The background and basis' that you refer to, in my experience, being the sacrificial work of Christ on my behalf, and the promises of God associated with it, which I am trusting Him to fulfil.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Absolutely. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation, and all our testimonies confirm that power in one form or another.

Wonderful thread, by the way. Very thought-provoking!