AS a thief:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about His coming “as a thief” and the help of “don’t be caught unaware” “but watch”. So that day doesn’t overcome you as a thief.

This is only my thoughts on the topic. To me it’s a matter of perspective. Where one is overcome and curses that they have been stolen from. Consider the verses they speak Evil of Him, but on your part He is Glorified. To me it’s who we say He is … “as a thief” or “no thief” but the deliverer out from as Paul said “those things I counted as dung” “to be found as Christ”. but that isn’t the only perspective “counting those things loss as dung” for something more true and better promises…to some the cross is offensive.

If we the body tell others He comes as a thief …are we calling Him a thief? Rather than 1 Peter 4:1-4 Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin; [2] That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. [3] For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: [4] Wherein they think it strange (Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 1 Peter 4:12) that you run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

“Speaking evil against you” I have to consider why do they speak evil, as if you are some thief come to steal away “walking in lasciviousness, lusts, excess wine, revellings, banqueting, and abominable idolatries” …where “they call it something strange” that you run not with them in excess of riot…could it be they speak evil as if you all are “as a thief” …does that make you a thief? Or their perspective is: “you thief” “you stealer” of our livelihoods! Another example is when the woman who made the men she served rich…but Paul and the others set her free from the evil spirit…they accused Paul and the others of “thievery” in absolving or “taking away” what they profited off of.

Does the crucifixion take away what men profit off of? Whats the perspective of the crucifixion? Is it “as a thief” or “No thief” but speaking of better things than those things that are removed in Christ?

Yes, to me “as a thief” isn’t saying He is a thief but what man perceive He is, their own speaking evil of Him. To me this helps with “He thought it not as robbery to be equal with God” …no matter how many ways we can interpret “equal with God” …only sharing what it has come to mean to me. Where He thought of it not as robbery…He thought of it is not as a thief(even asking them when they come to get him in the garden—do you come out against me with swords as a thief?) … He thought of the crucifixion not as robbery to be “equal to the Father”: in “the Father gave unto us His only begotten Son” And “the only begotten Son gave unto us His Father”…how more “alike” or “equal” can they get: As the Father gave unto us His only begotten Son —equally—the only begotten Son also gave unto us His Father.

… in “I have the power to lay down My life and the power to take it up again”
John 16:27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

To me…He thought it not robbery to be equal with God …isn’t about a power struggle for “equal to” Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Not as unarmed and unprepared of “as a thief” comes upon you, “but consider it not robbery to be equal unto God” where Jesus Christ endured the shame of the crucifixion(not seeing it as robbery to be equal unto God) for the joy set before Him…

It’s men who are “as thieves” …not God.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather than 1 Peter 4:1-4 Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin; [2] That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. [3] For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: [4] Wherein they think it strange (Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 1 Peter 4:12) that you run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:
They think it’s strange…you run not with them.
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you.
Galatians 4:14-16 And my temptation which was in my flesh you despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. [15] Where is then the blessedness you spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. [16] Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about His coming “as a thief” and the help of “don’t be caught unaware” “but watch”. So that day doesn’t overcome you as a thief.

This is only my thoughts on the topic. To me it’s a matter of perspective. Where one is overcome and curses that they have been stolen from. Consider the verses they speak Evil of Him, but on your part He is Glorified. To me it’s who we say He is … “as a thief” or “no thief” but the deliverer out from as Paul said “those things I counted as dung” “to be found as Christ”. but that isn’t the only perspective “counting those things loss as dung” for something more true and better promises…to some the cross is offensive.

If we the body tell others He comes as a thief …are we calling Him a thief? Rather than 1 Peter 4:1-4 Forasmuch then as Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin; [2] That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. [3] For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: [4] Wherein they think it strange (Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 1 Peter 4:12) that you run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

“Speaking evil against you” I have to consider why do they speak evil, as if you are some thief come to steal away “walking in lasciviousness, lusts, excess wine, revellings, banqueting, and abominable idolatries” …where “they call it something strange” that you run not with them in excess of riot…could it be they speak evil as if you all are “as a thief” …does that make you a thief? Or their perspective is: “you thief” “you stealer” of our livelihoods! Another example is when the woman who made the men she served rich…but Paul and the others set her free from the evil spirit…they accused Paul and the others of “thievery” in absolving or “taking away” what they profited off of.

Does the crucifixion take away what men profit off of? Whats the perspective of the crucifixion? Is it “as a thief” or “No thief” but speaking of better things than those things that are removed in Christ?

Yes, to me “as a thief” isn’t saying He is a thief but what man perceive He is, their own speaking evil of Him. To me this helps with “He thought it not as robbery to be equal with God” …no matter how many ways we can interpret “equal with God” …only sharing what it has come to mean to me. Where He thought of it not as robbery…He thought of it is not as a thief(even asking them when they come to get him in the garden—do you come out against me with swords as a thief?) … He thought of the crucifixion not as robbery to be “equal to the Father”: in “the Father gave unto us His only begotten Son” And “the only begotten Son gave unto us His Father”…how more “alike” or “equal” can they get: As the Father gave unto us His only begotten Son —equally—the only begotten Son also gave unto us His Father.

… in “I have the power to lay down My life and the power to take it up again”
John 16:27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

To me…He thought it not robbery to be equal with God …isn’t about a power struggle for “equal to” Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Not as unarmed and unprepared of “as a thief” comes upon you, “but consider it not robbery to be equal unto God” where Jesus Christ endured the shame of the crucifixion(not seeing it as robbery to be equal unto God) for the joy set before Him…

It’s men who are “as thieves” …not God.
Carefully, quietly and seemingly invisible comes the thief. Similarly comes Jesus so that none are aware of his approach until he is upon them. Are we ready? Are we prepared? Are our lamps full of oil?
Mt 25:1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mt 25:2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mt 25:3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mt 25:4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mt 25:5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mt 25:6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mt 25:7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mt 25:8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mt 25:9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mt 25:10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mt 25:11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mt 25:12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Mt 25:13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Carefully, quietly and seemingly invisible comes the thief. Similarly comes Jesus so that none are aware of his approach until he is upon them. Are we ready? Are we prepared? Are our lamps full of oil?
Mt 25:1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mt 25:2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mt 25:3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mt 25:4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mt 25:5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mt 25:6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mt 25:7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mt 25:8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mt 25:9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mt 25:10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Mt 25:11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mt 25:12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Mt 25:13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
It’s a good question …if any of us are ready. The reason this topic is important to me is because I still get this sick feeling of panic and dread over all of the what ifs. What if this happens to a family member? What of this happens to me? I’ve noticed a lot of young people dying. One my daughter mentioned was so heartbreaking. her passion was to sing. She went on one of those shows to audition. She sang her song of her journey and what she’s been through as a result. Shortly after …she passed. I have to ask was she caught unaware as a thief come upon her…or was she more prepared than most squabbling over end times and when that time is. Did she fulfill her journey not leaving it undone. The topic of “As a thief” to me helps with this journey, so I’m rereading those verses in “arm yourself with this mind” …to me it helps with perspective of what we consider evil. I struggle with calling evil passing …but that’s only my perspective. Forgetting He has given so much more hope.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a good question …if any of us are ready. Their reason this topic is important to me is because I still get this sick feeling of panic and dread over all of the what ifs. What if this happens to a family member? What of this happens to me? I’ve noticed a lot of young people dying. One my daughter mentioned was so heartbreaking. her passion was to sing. She went on one of those shows to audition. She sang her song of her journey and what she’s been through as a result. Shortly after …she passed. I have to ask was she caught unaware as a thief come upon her…or was she more prepared than most squabbling over end times and when that time is. Did she fulfill her journey not leaving it undone. The topic of “As a thief” to me helps with this journey, so I’m rereading those verses in “arm yourself with this mind” …to me it helps with perspective of what we consider evil. I struggle with calling evil passing …but that’s only my perspective. Forgetting He has given so much more hope.
Worrying about how others who have already finished their course fared with God in the end will not help us. I went through that sort of thing with my mother never attended church nor did she ever while I lived in her home acknowledge God. However, I learned from my brother who lived with her at the time of her death [2006] that she was reading her Bible every night before going to sleep. I lived a thousand miles away at the time, so I do not know where she was with God. That she was reading her Bible was a good thing.

For those we love who still walk in this world without knowing God, we can pray for them... We can also live for God closely so that hopefully they will see something worth pursuing for themselves.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worrying about how others who have already finished their course fared with God in the end will not help us. I went through that sort of thing with my mother never attended church nor did she ever while I lived in her home acknowledge God. However, I learned from my brother who lived with her at the time of her death [2006] that she was reading her Bible every night before going to sleep. I lived a thousand miles away at the time, so I do not know where she was with God. That she was reading her Bible was a good thing.

For those we love who still walk in this world without knowing God, we can pray for them... We can also live for God closely so that hopefully they will see something worth pursuing for themselves.
I have weird beliefs about “not as those who have no hope”. I get you may not agree, most likely. My son-in-law died suddenly from a drug overdose. That guy gave me a fit …I mean his introduction into my life and my grandsons life turned my world upside down …one leading cause for me hitting my knees in prayer. I don’t doubt he had fruit …because I would (not)be here talking in this board without some of those hard lessons. My mother is the same. By most appearances she has no fruit of God either …her as good as wailing “oh a thief has caught me unaware! This is the most miserable existence. Why can’t I die and be done with it!” But I don’t doubt there is fruit all around her. I’ve seen it in my sisters. And in me. I’m reminded that when I begrudgingly go care for her…I’m neglecting the Fruit. I know that is strange but the people in my life that have harmed me the most, have also helped me the most. Without them even being aware of it. I don’t know your mother. But did her influence drive you in any way to seek God? Even in her lack of it? Did the people in your life that did the most harm, also help you? Preachers teach good things telling you about those good things. But at least to me—although it may be wrong— it’s those hard lessons that drive me to seeking after God. It’s like the angst between… God gave them over to satan to learn not to blasphemy. But still they learned and were taught.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 12:14-19 Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. [15] And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. [16] But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile. [17] Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you? [18] I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps? [19] Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have weird beliefs about “not as those who have no hope”. I get you may not agree, most likely.
I believe that everyone who comes to an age of accountability has hope in the beginning. When a person dies without making it all right with God, he has by his actions or lack thereof made his final choice by effectively rejecting God. But... unless God has revealed a person's final negative end to me, how can I know it. Consider here the revelation:

1sa 16:1And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
My son-in-law died suddenly from a drug overdose. That guy gave me a fit …I mean his introduction into my life and my grandsons life turned my world upside down …one leading cause for me hitting my knees in prayer. I don’t doubt he had fruit …because I would (not)be here talking in this board without some of those hard lessons.
I have had some bad ones in my family as well... at least bad, all bad, in what I have been able to see... but their condemnation is not mine to decide. They will certainly receive from God what is right. He is a better judge than me.
My mother is the same. By most appearances she has no fruit of God either …her as good as wailing “oh a thief has caught me unaware! This is the most miserable existence. Why can’t I die and be done with it!” But I don’t doubt there is fruit all around her.
So then your mother is one of your burdens. How are you able to bear it? Will God help you to endure with it, with her that is, until the end of it, whenever and however that may be? With this such as this consider the difficulties of Job and consider also the pain and anguish of Jesus on the day of his crucifixion.
I’ve seen it in my sisters. And in me. I’m reminded that when I begrudgingly go care for her…I’m neglecting the Fruit. I know that is strange but the people in my life that have harmed me the most, have also helped me the most. Without them even being aware of it.
This is often the way things happen or so it seems to me from my own experiences as well as those I have witnessed in others.
I don’t know your mother. But did her influence drive you in any way to seek God? Even in her lack of it?
Even so... To me my mother was good, but looking back I see the evil in some of her ways.
Did the people in your life that did the most harm, also help you? Preachers teach good things telling you about those good things. But at least to me—although it may be wrong— it’s those hard lessons that drive me to seeking after God. It’s like the angst between… God gave them over to satan to learn not to blasphemy. But still they learned and were taught.
Again that is how it has been without expressing all of the details here.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus