1611 Exodus page for stredaleve

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which should then have appeared as "Yehovah" when updated. Which corresponds to Yahweh (YHWH).
It was YHWH before the KJV. This should explain why YHWH was altered, in brief. To protect/prevent the vocalization of His name.

upload_2022-1-11_17-39-4.png

Yehovah or Yehowah was NEVER meant to be vocalized. Instead of YHWH, the word Adonai was meant to be vocalized instead. This was to prevent anyone from vocalizing YHWH...as the sacred personal name of our creator.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which should then have appeared as "Yehovah" when updated. Which corresponds to Yahweh (YHWH).
First time online today and very weak and some dizzy from the biopsy procedure. Please help @stredeleve with questions on this if you can. You probably know more about it off the top of your head than I do.

What I have is actually a 2nd reprint done in 2005 of the 1st edition of 1611 in which corrections were made. There were as you indicates updates of that 1st edition.

I bought my copy for reference but have never made an in-depth study of all the details.
Thanks!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow John, very interesting! Would love one of those. Suppose the verses can be looked up online too...?
I really do not know if it can be found online like that. I bought mine in a Bible Book store about 15 years ago. I have used it for reference a number of times but have never sat down and studied it

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really do not know if it can be found online like that. I bought mine in a Bible Book store about 15 years ago. I have used it for reference a number of times but have never sat down and studied it

Hi John,
What do you think, is this the actual 1611 version? Thanks!

@devin553344 said sent me this link:
https://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/The-Holy-Bible-King-James-Version.pdf

Here's the start of the contents:

"Table of Contents Preface to PDF Version Preface to 1611 Translation Old Testament Genesis ... 1 Exodus ... 31 Leviticus ... 57 Numbers ... 77 Deuteronomy ... 103" etc.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it do the same in the NT for Jesus, Iesus?

Much love!
Here is the first page of Matthew from the same book. See Matt 1:16, which includes Iacob [Jacob], Ioseph, [Joseph] and Iesus [Jesus].

Reactions: marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi John,
What do you think, is this the actual 1611 version? Thanks!

@devin553344 said sent me this link:
https://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/The-Holy-Bible-King-James-Version.pdf

Here's the start of the contents:

"Table of Contents Preface to PDF Version Preface to 1611 Translation Old Testament Genesis ... 1 Exodus ... 31 Leviticus ... 57 Numbers ... 77 Deuteronomy ... 103" etc.
Compare those same verses and chapters [Exodus 6:3 and Matthew 1:16] of online Holy Book edition [sent to you by @devin553344 ] with the one of Exodus 6:3 I scanned on this thread from my hard copy.

Mine, I believe, is an exact copy, what the printers [Hendrickson Publishers] call a facsimile of the first edition actually published and printed in 1611AD.

My reprint was done in the year 2005AD [or CE]. The Holy Book one was corrected much later than 1611 with the alphabet and spelling corrections. It may the same modern one most people, including myself, read regularly.

Long ago I found a reference which explained how many corrective editions of the 1611 KJV had been made through the years, but it was more than one. I have lost the reference and do not remember. Others here may have better information about it. Likely it is online somewhere.

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the first page of Matthew from the same book. See Matt 1:16, which includes Iacob [Jacob], Ioseph, [Joseph] and Iesus [Jesus].
Thank you for looking at that for me!

That's the transliteration of the Greek Iesous. "Yay-soos".

Much love!